Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir Gigabit vs 150mbs broadband

• 14-04-2020 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭

I note the 150 is 30pm 1 year contract and the 1000 is 55 but a 2 year contact. Is it worth going for the 1000 initially to get a better installation and them downgrade to 150 after 2 years to get the full 150. The reason I ask as we are on Voda adsl at a different address upto 100 and only get 15-20 so 150 is fine for me but if rather get a better installation ie full fiber to increase speed later. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Exact same kit for everyone, 150Mb and up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

ED E wrote: »
    Exact same kit for everyone, 150Mb and up.

Kit might be same but house is 150 foot from road. Would they use existing copper for 150 and for the 1 gig bring fiber into the home? How is fiber layerd is it overhead?
    The house is specifically marked for gigabit on the fiber maps.

I think this answers why gigabit is a 2 year contract
    https://youtu.be/5wPOp5nSVDo
    Is 150meg ful fiber to the home also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭dam099

lomb wrote: »
    Is 150meg ful fiber to the home also?

Yes. In Ireland (trials excepted) VDSL (using copper from the cabinet) tops out at 100Mb.
    I think this answers why gigabit is a 2 year contract
    https://youtu.be/5wPOp5nSVDo

Not really if the 150Mb is only a 1 year contract and 1Gb 2 years, as they are both the same installation. Logically it should really be the other way around too, they likely recover more of the cost of installation per month through the higher price for 1Gb as it is.

dam099 wrote: »
    Yes. In Ireland (trials excepted) VDSL (using copper from the cabinet) tops out at 100Mb.

Not really if the 150Mb is only a 1 year contract and 1Gb 2 years, as they are both the same installation. Logically it should really be the other way around too, they likely recover more of the cost of installation per month through the higher price for 1Gb as it is.

Fair enough. What speed would I expect out of 150 full fiber up and down. Adsl promises 100 but I've never seen over 25 ( this is at a different house)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dazice

Go through ONE BIG SWITCH, its €30pm and free connection (normally €50), plus they give you €50 back in credit on 3rd bill.

I went for the 150Mbps option.

While i was on the phone the engineer said he could give me free FTTH connection (normally €149)

So not sure if the 150Mbps is Fiber to the home, or just fiber to the cabinet and copper to the home.

You also get amazon prime and Eir sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭dam099

Fair enough. What speed would I expect out of 150 full fiber up and down. Adsl promises 100 but I've never seen over 25 ( this is at a different house)

To be getting 25 you must be on VDSL not ADSL and a bit away from the cabinet (but not massive distances). Based on your line stats you probably have a profile around the 25 mark and will never do better than that.

Fibre doesnt suffer from the same issues with drop off due to distance as the ADSL/VDSL (at least not until you get about 20km away).

You should get the full 150Mb most of the time (still can suffer from contention as you share a 2.5Gb fibre with up to 32 other users in your area but for a lot of users its not an issue).

dam099 wrote: »
    To be getting 25 you must be on VDSL not ADSL and a bit away from the cabinet (but not massive distances). Based on your line stats you probably have a profile around the 25 mark and will never do better than that.

Fibre doesnt suffer from the same issues with drop off due to distance as the ADSL/VDSL (at least not until you get about 20km away).

You should get the full 150Mb most of the time (still can suffer from contention as you share a 2.5Gb fibre with up to 32 other users in your area but for a lot of users its not an issue).

Thanks

Advertisement