Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water pump stuck...help(pic attached)

• 14-04-2020 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

I live in a 3 storey house,built around 2008. We moved into it about 18 months ago. There's a water pump in the hot press to pump water around the house,which is quite noisy. It stuck before and pump stayed on.Only way to stop it was to turn it off at the switch near the pump,then turn this switch back on whenever we wanted a shower. Obviously this was annoying so our plumber came,had a look and fortunately had a spare part(a relay or something). Its stuck again and he' got no spare parts and is recommending a new pump. He said its a 3 bar but we could go for a 2 bar,which would be cheaper but obviously not the same pressure. I think he said before that it would cost about €1000 or so to replace....Is that right?I've attached a photo......if anyone has a spare one!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭wilser

Not sure what part of the country you are but Ballymount pumps in Dublin have all the parts you might need, they also sell reconditioned 3 bar negative head pumps for around €300 .
    Think a new 3 bar negative head is about €500 but they are a good pump and the guys in Ballymount will tell you what parts you need to get your pump right

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭R11

wilser wrote: »
    Not sure what part of the country you are but Ballymount pumps in Dublin have all the parts you might need, they also sell reconditioned 3 bar negative head pumps for around €300 .
    Think a new 3 bar negative head is about €500 but they are a good pump and the guys in Ballymount will tell you what parts you need to get your pump right
    Cheers, I'm in Dundalk so won't be able to travel. Strangely, the morning after I posted this original question, I turned on the mains, had a shower and the pump went back off again! It's working fine since. It's probably on its last legs but hopefully I'll get a few more months out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Visit the Stuart Turner website and do some simple checks. It could be debris in the pipes which should be easy to check. There should be plastic strainers in the inlet pipes. If it is installed correctly there will be isolating valves on the supply pipes and the pushfit pipes can be released and the pump removed. If corrosion makes the pushfit hard to undo then simply remove the screws on the pipe clamps on the pump body. Check the reed valves are working correctly. My guess is it will be the Circuit board. Easy to change and cheap to buy. Only attempt this if you have reasonable DIY skills but these pumps are good and it is usually a case to repair rather than replace. Stuart Turner will not sell you older parts anymore so visit an online website for spares.
    Very sad you are being asked for a grand to change a pump. How do these guys sleep at night......

freddyuk wrote: »
    Visit the Stuart Turner website and do some simple checks. It could be debris in the pipes which should be easy to check. There should be plastic strainers in the inlet pipes. If it is installed correctly there will be isolating valves on the supply pipes and the pushfit pipes can be released and the pump removed. If corrosion makes the pushfit hard to undo then simply remove the screws on the pipe clamps on the pump body. Check the reed valves are working correctly. My guess is it will be the Circuit board. Easy to change and cheap to buy. Only attempt this if you have reasonable DIY skills but these pumps are good and it is usually a case to repair rather than replace. Stuart Turner will not sell you older parts anymore so visit an online website for spares.
    Very sad you are being asked for a grand to change a pump. How do these guys sleep at night......

Thanks for your advice. But, honestly, that sounds way too complicated for me! My DIY skills are limited so I would be terrified that I'd make a balls of it and wreck the pump even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

freddyuk wrote: »

Yeah it’s a common occurrence. Lads now want to make a weeks wage for about two hours work. Disgraceful carry on.

Wait for the crew to come and back up the price on here - travel time, tools , insurance etc.

Don’t care shouldn’t cost €400- €500 to change a pump. It’s a rip off plain and simple.

• Advertisement

And it's stuck again this morning.....

Advertisement