Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gave lodger 30 days notice - refusing to leave

Options
  • 15-04-2020 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi All,

We have a lodger renting a room in our house, I am the owner and we have a licencee agreement. I rang threshold last week and they told me that licencees/lodgers are not covered by eviction ban so I gave the lodger 30 days notice. He started getting a little abusive by txt and is refusing to leave.

He rang the RTB today and they told him the eviction notice isn't valid as he is covered under the eviction ban, when he told me this I also rang RTB and they told me the same but I can't find any information online that says the government passed the law that also covers lodgers/rent-a-room/licencees?

This guy is a nightmare to live with and is drinking everyday, smoking in the house which is a breach of the agreement and leaving a mess in kitchen etc.

What should I do?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

He's a lodger so has no rights. Feck him out & change your locks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Dylan94

Hi All,

We have a lodger renting a room in our house, I am the owner and we have a licencee agreement. I rang threshold last week and they told me that licencees/lodgers are not covered by eviction ban so I gave the lodger 30 days notice. He started getting a little abusive by txt and is refusing to leave.

He rang the RTB today and they told him the eviction notice isn't valid as he is covered under the eviction ban, when he told me this I also rang RTB and they told me the same but I can't find any information online that says the government passed the law that also covers lodgers/rent-a-room/licencees?

This guy is a nightmare to live with and is drinking everyday, smoking in the house which is a breach of the agreement and leaving a mess in kitchen etc.

What should I do?

If someone was to smoke in my home they would be sent out the door with no notice. Now that he has been abusive I would have him removed immediately without the 30 day notice.

Ideally you would get your key back and not have to change the locks, as that could be a challenge right now. If not then I would tell him he is no longer welcome, next time he leaves put his stuff outside. If he tries to come back in call the guards

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Lolle06

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ban-on-evictions-and-rent-freeze-in-new-emergency-legislation-1.4211377

I am guessing that this temporary ban would include lodgers since the government want people to stay put where they are atm?

It must be an awful situation for you :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Lolle06 wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ban-on-evictions-and-rent-freeze-in-new-emergency-legislation-1.4211377

I am guessing that this temporary ban would include lodgers since the government want people to stay put where they are atm?

It must be an awful situation for you :(

Your one from pbp has claimed publicly that she made it so it would include lodgers.

An even handed reading of the legislation would not support that view.

Your one from pbp has claimed publicly that she made it so it would include lodgers.

An even handed reading of the legislation would not support that view.

https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/act/2020/2/eng/enacted/a0220.pdf

Part 2
    Yes, apparently licensees are included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Sarah491

Hi All,

What should I do?

If you can’t force him to leave in an already difficult situation and it may be hard for them to find a vacancy elsewhere, but hopefully they are currently looking and will be asap, but till then, be civil as best as you can be and don’t let the annoying things that may be trivial, annoy you. Let it go as you will be hurting yourself emotionally and mentally. You both must have got on at one stage as you choose to live with them. But hopefully they won’t want to be living in that environment either, tough all round and will move on. But till then, be civil and bite your tongue on trivial matters that may annoy you but hold your ground on smoking etc. I live with others and unfortunately you can’t control others choosing to drink everyday. I assume they are not harming you whilst drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

AFAIK it's only licencees in student accommodation.

30 days is way too long but it's done now. When hes out after the 30 days get the locks changed and call the guards if he tries to gain entry.

Edit: box up their stuff and make sure it cant get wet / nicked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

AFAIK it's only licencees in student accommodation.

30 days is way too long but it's done now. When hes out after the 30 days get the locks changed and call the guards if he tries to gain entry.

This is correct. Lodgers have no rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Which subsection says licensees are included?

I read that legislation was amended to include student accommodation which would not normally be covered by RTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,784 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dav010 wrote: »
    Which subsection says licensees are included?

I read that legislation was amended to include student accommodation which would not normally be covered by RTA.

3 (2) is at least attempting to include licencees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

L1011 wrote: »
    3 (2) is at least attempting to include licencees.
    references to landlord shall be construed as including references to licensor within the meaning of section 37 of the Residential Tenancies (Amendment) Act

Only licensees within the context of section 37 of the 2019 act. Ie residents in student accomodation under licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

he is a thread to ur health/well being, smoking in the house fcuk him out immediately round up lock smith move in a friend if possible

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    This is correct. Lodgers have no rights.

That’s great news for the OP!
    The RTB should’ve known better in the first place though and not give out false information, making this situation even more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,341 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You will have to impose your will and physically remove his property from the house and change locks, etc. You can see from the above posts that legally you may be okay, though be aware that you could end up in court defending yourself on that point.

If you aren’t willing to take decisive action then you’re waiting for your lodger to play ball. In the current context they may have nowhere to go, which I’m sure you’re fully aware of. If they dig in their heels then it’s up to you to make their eviction happen, if you believe you have the legal right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

30 days notice is ridiculous. You've shot yourself in the foot by giving them that long, even 14 would be generous by the sound of things.

Search this forum, there have been a couple of threads on this since the new legislation. The whole lodger being included or not thing has been debated at least twice already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

That’s great news for the OP!
    The RTB should’ve known better in the first place though and not give out false information, making this situation even more difficult.

The RTB is a joke. They encourage tenants who aren't even paying to overstay.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Realistically, where do you expect him to move to in the current climate?

If he goes to the guards or to the media, you will be the one who comes out looking bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

If he goes to the guards or to the media, you will be the one who comes out looking bad.

Who cares if he is acting like an idiot in the house its his own fault. You cannot be responsible for everyone, you are responsible for you and your family no one else 30 days notice is more than reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

To be honest if someone was in my house and I needed him to leave and he wouldnt, I wouldnt care about media perception of me I'd just want him gone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Or he won't go to the guards and the media.

Or the guards and the media won't have the slightest interest even if he does go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

OP shouldn't be worried about the gardai or the media in this case. When you say abusive by text OP, do you mean they are holed up in their room and you can't get them out?
    Might be poor timing to evict someone in the current climate, but seeing as they are abusive, make a mess, and smoke in the house etc, then I would get rid of them. Tough ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

OP, just ignore this waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dublinbando

kevcos wrote: »
    OP, just ignore this waffle.

Yeah that certainly is waffle. If the housing situation was anything like it was before the virus I'd be more understanding but there is over 200 listings on daft for rooms in our area and they're much cheaper than he's paying here, should be no issues finding somewhere else in 30 days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Yeah that certainly is waffle. If the housing situation was anything like it was before the virus I'd be more understanding but there is over 200 listings on daft for rooms in our area and they're much cheaper than he's paying here, should be no issues finding somewhere else in 30 days.

There's also the fact that there has been a huge increase in capacity for emergency accommodation since the crisis began. Dublin City Council have literally taken over entire blocks of hotels and short term tourism accommodation for this purpose. Lodger will easily have a roof over his head if he needs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

OP when you say we there are more than one so u have numbers advantage, why did you let this guy in? how long is he there? is he unemployed?

Except that we are under movement restrictions at the moment, and rental property viewing is not an essential activity.

Its easy to say " who cares" but the reality is that the OP cares if the have an assh0le who they cannot get out of their home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Except that we are under movement restrictions at the moment, and rental property viewing is not an essential activity.

Its easy to say " who cares" but the reality is that the OP cares if the have an assh0le who they cannot get out of their home.

All the o/p has to do is wait till he goes out and the change the locks.

All the o/p has to do is wait till he goes out and the change the locks.

Sure, And what does the lodger do next?

"Who cares" actually isn't a helpful answer. He won't magically disappear.

The OP needs to have a realistic plan of how this can play out. Just changing the locks is simply inviting the lodger to break in to get his stuff, at very least.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sure, And what does the lodger do next?

"Who cares" actually isn't a helpful answer. He won't magically disappear.

The OP needs to have a realistic plan of how this can play out. Just changing the locks is simply inviting the lodger to break in to get his stuff, at very least.
    Which post mentioned how the OP was the lodger's mother?
    The OP doesn't need to plan how this will work out like you say because the gardai will lift him for B&E if he does as you suggest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭magicmoves

Give the lodger a boot up the hole and tell him to feck off

Advertisement