Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU+GPU pairing

Options
  • 15-04-2020 2:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

I have a Republic of Gamer's ASUS STRIX Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 TI OC 11GB card laying around for a while that I tried using with my current out of date specs It never worked out well it did for a about 15-20 mins until it kept kicking me out of games. I think my processor isnt enough to run it My current specs are Intel Core i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz 8gb RAM I was wondering what CPU would pair best with this card ? an i7 or i9 Im wondering can I jump up to an i9 as long as I get a motherboard to go with it ? So I have a mobo that can handle a 1080 super when i upgrade to an RTX card

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Your graphics card is faulty, your power supply is faulty, or your processor is overheating. i7-3820 is still a reasonably good processor, but "kicking you out of games" isn't anything related to a weak processor even if it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

i7-3820 draws ~184W at peak

Asus STRIX 1080 Ti draws 280-293W at peak

So you'll want at least a good 600W PSU & beefy cooling on the CPU.

However if you're willing to upgrade the CPU/motherboard/RAM, get a Ryzen 3700X, 2x8Gb DDR4-3600 and a decent B450 or X570 motherboard.

Let us know which option suits and a budget & we can give you a parts list.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭STEE

My power supply is 875w budget would be about 500 plus euro

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

What exact PSU is it? Something is wrong with something in your system, nothing whatsoever to do with the processor not being good enough for the card or anything like that.

a) faulty or bad power supply

b) faulty graphics card

c) overheating CPU

One of those is the most likely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

You could try running HWMonitor in the background when playing games. It would give you some pointers as to where the problems is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭STEE

Homelander wrote: »
    What exact PSU is it? Something is wrong with something in your system, nothing whatsoever to do with the processor not being good enough for the card or anything like that.

a) faulty or bad power supply

b) faulty graphics card

c) overheating CPU

One of those is the most likely

Its a DELL power supply On the sticker it says model : H875EF-00
    P/N: D875E001L DP/N: J556T MADE IN CHINA My motherboard is what came with my system a DELL/ALIENWARE 07JNH0 its an Alienware Aurora R4 micro ATX case from 2012

Advertisement