Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel Insurance & Covid-19

• 15-04-2020 7:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭

Due to travel to Europe in July
    Country is on the do-no-travel list so if it's still on the list in July then the travel insurance will kick in.
    If it's taken off the do-not-travel list then I suspect one of the kids will be advised by GP not to travel (low immune) but in this case the travel insurance say they don't pay out as the medical condition is not an unforseen thing.

They don't seem to get that it's Covid-19 that is the unforseen thing
    I have a medical condition and my doctor advised that I should not
    travel due to the risk of infection from COVID-19, am I covered in
    this instance?

No you will not be covered because the medical condition is not an
    unforeseen illness.

Can someone more knowledgeable in insurance explain this one to me please as generally the kid is fine to travel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Insurers appear to be saying that your son has a pre-existing condition and that is the reason he cannot travel, not the Covid-19 virus, if the rest of you are able to travel. It's what differs him from other travellers. Insurers will always exclude pre-existing causes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭frash

Insurers appear to be saying that your son has a pre-existing condition and that is the reason he cannot travel, not the Covid-19 virus, if the rest of you are able to travel. It's what differs him from other travellers. Insurers will always exclude pre-existing causes

I rang the insurers (VHI) about it & the lady on the phone said that if his condition had a "flare up" (her words) which meant he couldn't travel then the insurance would kick in.
    In this case the pre-existing condition is still the reason we couldn't travel but is covered.

Sorry, I don't follow your last response

Sorry, I don't follow your last response

Sorry - hopefully the following explains it better

If his pre-existing condition flared up before we left meaning he couldn't travel then the insurance would kick in & pay out

If his pre-existing condition meant the GP recommended he not travel due to possible Covid-19 exposure then the insurance would not kick in & there would be no payout.

In both cases, he has a pre-exisiting condition.
    In the first case the flare up is the unknown
    In the second case Covid-19 is the unknown (as it didn't exist when we booked)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

frash wrote: »
    Sorry - hopefully the following explains it better

If his pre-existing condition flared up before we left meaning he couldn't travel then the insurance would kick in & pay out

If his pre-existing condition meant the GP recommended he not travel due to possible Covid-19 exposure then the insurance would not kick in & there would be no payout.

In both cases, he has a pre-exisiting condition.
    In the first case the flare up is the unknown
    In the second case Covid-19 is the unknown (as it didn't exist when we booked)

Given that you've now alerted them to the condition I'd say good luck getting them to pay anything should the condition flare up just prior to travel.

• Advertisement

I would have thought that neither scenario would provide cover as the cause in each case is related to a pre-existing condition

Given that you've now alerted them to the condition I'd say good luck getting them to pay anything should the condition flare up just prior to travel.

They'd know anyway - it's VHI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

frash wrote: »
    They'd know anyway - it's VHI

If it's cut and dried like that it couldn't be covered as it's a pre-existing condition. I'd take what you were told on the phone with a grain of salt unfortunately.

Advertisement