Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exfoliative keratolysis

• 15-04-2020 9:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭

Hi, hope it's ok to start a thread on this. Have thrown the term into the search engine and very few hits so its possibly quite a rare affliction amongst users here.
    For anybody who is unfamiliar with exfoliative keratolysis, it is a skin condition that causes air blisters on the hand/fingers (supposedly feet also, although Ive never had it affect my feet) before leading to perpetual peeling that can ultimately result in cracked, raw skin on the palm side of your hands and fingers. It starts out as an aesthetic thing but can eventually become quite painful, especially when you have to work with your hands- I play golf for example, and just gripping the clubs can be very sore when symptoms are at their worst.
    You can google it for a more technical description of how it happens but Im more interested in knowing if affected boardsies have had any success with treating the condition. In my case, I genuinely feel like warm weather triggers it; Im convinced a trip to Washington DC in late June back in 2010 may well have prompted my issues and it is totally seasonal. My hands are fine during the winter, but come late spring/early summer, it flares up. It is not a coincidence that Im creating this thread at this moment!
    Ive obviously searched extensively online for treatments and best Ive come up with is creams like eucerine that contain lactates and urea as well limiting your hand's exposure to things like washing up liquid etc. Frequent washing of hands is also advised against but thats something I would struggle with tbh, especially nowadays with Covid 19.
    Anyway, thats me for now. Would be interested to hear from anybody else who has EK and if youve had any success with easing your symptoms. Thanks!

Advertisement