Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wooden fence painting: do neighbour's side?

• 15-04-2020 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

I had a wooden fence installed between me and my neighbour's gardens last year, on my side of the divide. So basically I own it.

The wood hasn't been stained yet so now might be a good time to do it as the weather's getting decent and I have a bit of spare time and I want to prevent rot.

Question is what's the protocol about the side of the fence on my neighbour's side? Call in and stain it myself (if they allow)? Leave it? Ask them to do their side?

If I just do my side and the other side is left undone, is that pointless as the wood could rot from one side anyway?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I had a wooden fence installed between me and my neighbour's gardens last year, on my side of the divide. So basically I own it.

The wood hasn't been stained yet so now might be a good time to do it as the weather's getting decent and I have a bit of spare time and I want to prevent rot.

Question is what's the protocol about the side of the fence on my neighbour's side? Call in and stain it myself (if they allow)? Leave it? Ask them to do their side?

If I just do my side and the other side is left undone, is that pointless as the wood could rot from one side anyway?

IMO, call in and ask can you stain their side.

Loophole would be take down the fence, paint/stain it, then reinstate it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just ask them. Also, depending on the type of fence, it's possible to get a small amount of stain/paint dripping on to the other side which can look a little unsightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Genuinely id leave it unless you want to stain their side forever more.

Why are you staining it surely it would have come treated already ?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭FledNanders

listermint wrote: »
    Genuinely id leave it unless you want to stain their side forever more.

Why are you staining it surely it would have come treated already ?

I'm not sure if it's been treated actually. How can I tell? It looks like just normal planks of wood that haven't been painted with anything

Any pictures ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You will get a lot of bleed through, especially around knots etc. If it's a stain. Varnish or paint is less likely, but I'd always use oil/stain on wood. Much easier to maintain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

It's not as simple as that..
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/act/27/enacted/en/print#part8-chap3

In passing, when you had the work done last year, did you engage with your neighbour our just do it without consultation?
    Did you leave the existing fence there etc etc?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Ideally, you would get both sides done as it can drip/leak through. If you don't mind doing it and have enough stain, just ask them if it's OK for you to stain their side. They might want to do it themselves in a different colour though and in this situation you'll just have to leave them to do it in their own time.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm not sure if it's been treated actually. How can I tell? It looks like just normal planks of wood that haven't been painted with anything

Treated wood looks very close to plain timber.

I would imagine it has been treated as untreated fencing wouldn't last too long. If you bought it from somewhere reputable it's highly likely it's treated.

listermint wrote: »
    Any pictures ?

https://imgur.com/a/yhLBZMR

• Advertisement

^ Yeah that will have been treated.

Be warned, with shiplap fencing, whatever your neighbours put onto the fence is going to run down on your side....I think i'd be offering to do theirs before they get any ideas.

Cheers.

Wouldn't be worried about it being painted on the other side in the slightest.
    They're very much not the gardening/maintenance/DIY types.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Leave it,it's pressure treated by the looks of it,looks fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

As it's on your side, they don't need to have anything to do with it.
    The only thing is, if you can't get to the other side in your property, you would have to ask them.
    I'd imagine they would want something nice to look out at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

okidoki987 wrote: »
    As it's on your side, they don't need to have anything to do with it.
    The only thing is, if you can't get to the other side in your property, you would have to ask them.
    I'd imagine they would want something nice to look out at.

As I said already, it's not that simple.
    The OP has neglected to say did he remove the existing fence.
    If he did, then he cannot own both sides of the fence for obvious reasons

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Another vote for "don't stain it".

It's pointless and just creates work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

I have a similar situation. Maybe take each pice down, treat it and put it back up. Tedious, I know, but if you dont have a great relatsionship with next door it might bevtye most stress free way

Lumen wrote: »
    Another vote for "don't stain it".

It's pointless and just creates work.
    I disagree.
    Staining it makes it look nicer
    You don't have to continue to stain it if you get sick of it, the colour will just fade.

Note I'm specifically talking about stain/oil.

Varnish or paint is the work of the devil in these scenarios...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

GreeBo wrote: »
    You don't have to continue to stain it if you get sick of it, the colour will just fade.

Note I'm specifically talking about stain/oil.

That wasn't my experience. The stain on mine looked awful after a few years.

It was particularly an issue on a pressure-treated shed, but the fence didn't look great either.

IMO the best thing to do with a fence (or wall) is plant things in front of it rather than making a feature out of it. Then it just melts into the background, turning a nice light grey after a few years.

People pay money for grey these days. :D

edit: maybe the product was a factor. I used whatever general fence stain Woodies were selling at the time (around 2005).

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Another vote here for leaving it as it is.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    That wasn't my experience. The stain on mine looked awful after a few years.

It was particularly an issue on a pressure-treated shed, but the fence didn't look great either.

IMO the best thing to do with a fence (or wall) is plant things in front of it rather than making a feature out of it. Then it just melts into the background, turning a nice light grey after a few years.

People pay money for grey these days. :D

edit: maybe the product was a factor. I used whatever general fence stain Woodies were selling at the time (around 2005).

Ah, that was probably more like a varnish "fence coat" thing.

I only ever use a Stained Cuprinol, the colour will fade over time, based on the sun exposure, but it still looks good.

Youd only be painting this to change the colour, thats all.

I wouldnt bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

If it was replacing an existing one between them, he would have said something to them before taking it down.
    Guess he decided to put up the fence after either his neighbour decided not to pay half the cost or neighbour didn't want it on his land or didn't want to move/change what was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

I'd leave it ,but if you do it I'd take out the panels or make sure you put masking
    tape on the concrete posts ,they look terrible if a stain gets on them .

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Would a good quality exterior water based wood paint increase the life of the fence by a good few years?

Would a good quality exterior water based wood paint increase the life of the fence by a good few years?

It's been treated already. If you want to paint it leave it a few years and then do it. That would extend life.

Once you paint external wood you are deciding to paint it forever.

With a stain you can just decide to stop and, other than fading, it wont peel or look awful.
    Paint & varnish (anything that sits on the surface) will peel and crack and look terrible.

Its also a *much* bigger job to redo every time as you have to remove/sand any existing, peeling bits.
    With an oil based stain you just apply over the previous coat with pretty much no prep.

Old paint
    old-wooden-fence-with-peeling-green-paint-E81HB3.jpg

vs

old stain
    87630214_XS.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

With an oil based stain you just apply over the previous coat with pretty much no prep.
    Sorry to hijack, but if doing a fence for the first time, would this be the right kind of stain that you could just let fade away (as per your second picture)?

https://sadolin.ie/finish/classic-wood-protection/

If I got one of the "colours" of that, apply two coats, is that all there's to it, or would it need something extra on top?

Yes lots of pastel shade paints,did a fence - shed a few years back,cuprinol

• Advertisement

Thoie wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack, but if doing a fence for the first time, would this be the right kind of stain that you could just let fade away (as per your second picture)?

If I got one of the "colours" of that, apply two coats, is that all there's to it, or would it need something extra on top?

No that's it,but be careful, cover the ground,and plants etc

Yep thats the stuff and nothing else to do to other than the two coats.

I'd check how the colours work out on a small, discrete area before going the whole hog though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

ive been using fencelife on our shiplap style fence for over 20yrs, still looks like new

only problem is the neighbours on either side havent stained their sides but its holding up well at least
    I have to just screw a few in every now and again when they pop out the nails after high winds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Thanks both.
    No that's it,but be careful, cover the ground,and plants etc

Is that because it's drippy, or do you need to spray it on? I assumed I'd be using a paint brush.
    Yep thats the stuff and nothing else to do to other than the two coats.

I'd check how the colours work out on a small, discrete area before going the whole hog though...

There's a "hidden" spot behind the shed I can reach, and plan on testing things on first. It may be difficult to judge as it's always in shade, but it should give me a good idea.

Thanks both.

Is that because it's drippy, or do you need to spray it on? I assumed I'd be using a paint brush.

These sorts of oils are very runny, think white spirits.
    They will also kill grass, plants etc.

Spraying is much quicker, but overspray will likely be an issue.

I took my panels out and sprayed them down the end of the garden away from everyone else.

That picture shows more than just a fence on one side. Doesn't appear to be anything else and it includes some supports which are wider.

Was the whole thing new? No divider before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

This is how I'm picturing it based on your username :D

tenor.gif

There was/is a very old steel fence between the 2 gardens.
    As the houses are at funny angles to each other I don't really know the neighbours, and they are kind of unsavoury types anyway tbh.
    I didn't want to get into asking them to contribute money for the fence so I just erected it right up next to the existing fence, on my side. I obviously told them I was doing this and they were fine with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Sounds like painting the other side could be arkward. I'd just paint your side and forget about the other. They may not even notice any drips/leaks because they have another fence and may not be particularly bothered anyways.

Thanks both.

There's a "hidden" spot behind the shed I can reach, and plan on testing things on first. It may be difficult to judge as it's always in shade, but it should give me a good idea.

was just referring to plants/ paths etc,and FFS don't spray it it'll go everywhere

JDxtra wrote: »
    Sounds like painting the other side could be arkward. I'd just paint your side and forget about the other. They may not even notice any drips/leaks because they have another fence and may not be particularly bothered anyways.

Tbh I always get the client to ask if it's ok to do theirs aswell ,it will drop etc and get some part of their side, better to ask first at least, probably delighted,and if it's done once properly, future drips etc on their side of fence wont be so noticable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

Tell the neighbour that you're going to paint the fence and show them the colour you've chosen.
    If they don't like that particular colour, perhaps you could ask them to pick a colour they'd like on their side, offer to buy the paint (in the hope they might stump up a bit of the cost!!) and paint their side in their chosen colour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Cerco

I doubt your neighbour would object to staying if it is required.
    However painting it red, blue or yellow would elicit a different response.

Always best to talk with neighbours as they are likely to be there for a while. Last thing you need is I’ll feeling.

Advertisement