Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rodents in garden

Options
  • 15-04-2020 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have noticed a number of holes in my garden and I believe I have rodents. The holes are along the garden walls ( 2 inch diameter) and a larger hole under a tree. I covered in the holes with loose clay last night and there has been activity around 3 holes eeekkk. I have spent a couple of hours on the internet looking for products to use and it's a mine field. The electric traps look really simple but the reviews are terrible. I dont have any pets, so I am thinking of putting down bait boxes. I would really appreciate any recommendations for products that have worked. Also, I am looking for something to cover the down pipes from the roof and any other rodent proof measures for the house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

FriedSpuds wrote: »
    I have noticed a number of holes in my garden and I believe I have rodents. The holes are along the garden walls ( 2 inch diameter) and a larger hole under a tree. I covered in the holes with loose clay last night and there has been activity around 3 holes eeekkk. I have spent a couple of hours on the internet looking for products to use and it's a mine field. The electric traps look really simple but the reviews are terrible. I dont have any pets, so I am thinking of putting down bait boxes. I would really appreciate any recommendations for products that have worked. Also, I am looking for something to cover the down pipes from the roof and any other rodent proof measures for the house.

Bait boxes and if possible buy or borrow a cat and let it out in the garden for extended periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I have noticed a number of holes in my garden and I believe I have rodents. The holes are along the garden walls ( 2 inch diameter) and a larger hole under a tree. I covered in the holes with loose clay last night and there has been activity around 3 holes eeekkk. I have spent a couple of hours on the internet looking for products to use and it's a mine field. The electric traps look really simple but the reviews are terrible. I dont have any pets, so I am thinking of putting down bait boxes. I would really appreciated any recommendations for products that have worked. Also, I am looking for something to cover the down pipes from the roof and any other rodent proof measures for the house.

You want to find out whats drawing them in.there is a food source nearby.normally a bird feeder or the like or else someone dumping stuff.
    If it’s rats get the timber luna rat traps and use peanut butter on them. The crunchy one.rats go mad for it.trap for a fortnight setting the traps at dusk and emptying them and taking them up in the morning.
    Only put them down where birds or cats won’t go in them.
    If you use poison tie down the bait blocks so they can’t store them and have to eat them in situ.
    I do prefer traps to poison so as not to poison anything else like owls etc if they eat the poison rat.
    Something is definitely drawing them in near you though.theres a food source there somewhere that you need to remove or they will keep coming back

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

Know it's dangerous,but my brother had similar in Togher 2 years back,tried everything,had 2 cats,poison - no joy,put petrol down one hole at a time,whoosh rodent's gone ,bit had to repeat it 3/ 4 times,( bird feeders attracted them)
    PS he had water/ sand etc at hand ( hose and extinguisher)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

https://youtu.be/jjo8ot9umQ8

I didn't check wether it's available online from here , but the fact that it's non toxic is a serious plus to my mind ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Know it's dangerous,but my brother had similar in Togher 2 years back,tried everything,had 2 cats,poison - no joy,put petrol down one hole at a time,whoosh rodent's gone ,bit had to repeat it 3/ 4 times,( bird feeders attracted them)
    PS he had water/ sand etc at hand ( hose and extinguisher)

This him?

https://www.air.tv/watch?v=3WjQoZiPRei363bNllwJLw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Employ a pest eradication contractor, and get rid of the bird feeder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

beauf wrote: »

Good way to aerate the Lawn...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

beauf wrote: »

Lol, rat problem solved!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement