Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop for gaming and general use

Comments

both decent laptops.

the G15 has an aluminium chassis I believe where the TUF won't.

you'd have to look into any differences in the screen quality also.

I wouldn't normally have recommended the RTX cards but this recent development suggests that due to DLSS (the new 2.0 version) that they really may be worth having

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

Thanks glasso. I had spotted those RTX 2060 models but wasn't sure whether they were worth the extra money. I should have mentioned that I'm not much of an online gamer, I'd be using it to play the likes of RDR 2, GTA V, Witcher 3 and Skyrim. Ideally with high settings on the older games but would be happy with medium on newer ones.

Heat does seem to be an issue with most gaming laptops as well. I had previously considered a Dell G5 but there were some nightmare stories out there regarding overheating.

Thanks glasso. I had spotted those RTX 2060 models but wasn't sure whether they were worth the extra money. I should have mentioned that I'm not much of an online gamer, I'd be using it to play the likes of RDR 2, GTA V, Witcher 3 and Skyrim. Ideally with high settings on the older games but would be happy with medium on newer ones.

Heat does seem to be an issue with most gaming laptops as well. I had previously considered a Dell G5 but there were some nightmare stories out there regarding overheating.

yes you do have to see that the thermals don't result in throttling of performance.

with a gaming laptop you are going to have to deal with fan noise under high gaming load.

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/36108-asus-tuf-gaming-fa506iv-review/

i do think that it's worth getting the RTX card now.

even if you are more focused on existing games if a new one comes out that you want to play and it supports dlss you will be able to get much better performance with it and also have the option of using ray-tracing on for more realistic graphics

glasso wrote: »
    yes you do have to see that the thermals don't result in throttling of performance.

with a gaming laptop you are going to have to deal with fan noise under high gaming load.

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/36108-asus-tuf-gaming-fa506iv-review/

i do think that it's worth getting the RTX card now.

even if you are more focused on existing games if a new one comes out that you want to play and it supports dlss you will be able to get much better performance with it and also have the option of using ray-tracing on for more realistic graphics

Looks like the TUF A15 is probably better value then (I think this is the model reviewed above: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/156-asus-tuf-gaming-a15-fa506iv-al032t-fhd-ips-144hz-ryzen-7-4800h-16gb-ddr4-1tb-nvme-6gb-rtx-2060-w).

Screen quality does seem to get a bit of criticism, but I may also have the option of using an external display as well.

• Advertisement

the screen doesn't seem to be too bad - 250 nits brigthness is not "amazing" but is servicable and it is high refresh rate and IPS. there have been a lot worse out there....

yes this model I think

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/156-asus-tuf-gaming-a15-fa506iv-al032t-fhd-ips-144hz-ryzen-7-4800h-16gb-ddr4-1tb-nvme-6gb-rtx-2060-w

(your link diidn't work)

Oops..yes, that's the one. Thanks for all your help glasso!

if you haven't bought that already this is a really great deal for £999 (available May)

I would wait for £300 saving to be honest. the 6-core intel cpu in it is plenty strong for gaming and general use

if you want to add more ram (altho 8gb enough for gaming) and more storage (second m.2 slot free) you could to both with simple click-ins for 100 euro.

My current laptop is an MSI and I have little love for the build quality, particularly of the keyboard but this looks good...I haven't purchased yet. The TUF A15 isn't available until May in any case and I'm keeping an eye on the exchange rate.

• Advertisement

take each model on its merits I would advise

My current laptop is an MSI and I have little love for the build quality, particularly of the keyboard but this looks good...I haven't purchased yet. The TUF A15 isn't available until May in any case and I'm keeping an eye on the exchange rate.

use revolut for the market rate.

would not see a huge change in the rate over the next few weeks.

Euro to get worse if anything probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Lenovo Y540 is one I was looking at as a stop gap for my gaming itch as I've no access to my pc at the moment and it's generally gotten good reviews and seen as better than the DELL G5. It's also not as garish as many others which would put me off. It could quite happily sit in an office actually.

Only reason I didn't pull the trigger was I couldn't justify a grand for what is hopefully only a few more weeks of separation from my 34" ultrawide gaming pc setup :)

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Lenovo Y540 is one I was looking at as a stop gap for my gaming itch as I've no access to my pc at the moment and it's generally gotten good reviews and seen as better than the DELL G5. It's also not as garish as many others which would put me off. It could quite happily sit in an office actually.

Only reason I didn't pull the trigger was I couldn't justify a grand for what is hopefully only a few more weeks of separation from my 34" ultrawide gaming pc setup :)

really bad value tho - have never seen one offered with decent specs for a decent price.

certainly nothing near the msi with 9750h and 2060 RTX for £1k sterling.

which is not an awful looking machine and pretty thin and light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

I'm looking for a new laptop to use for general daily tasks (browsing, media, writing the odd document) as well as gaming. Ideally it would have a 15.6" screen and sufficiently good build quality to last a good few years.

Two I was looking at were:

ASUS TUF A15 (with new Ryzen 7 4800): https://www.scan.co.uk/products/156-asus-tuf-gaming-a15-fa506iu-al019t-fortress-gray-144hz-fhd-ryzen-7-16gb-ddr4-1tb-ssd-gtx

ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/156-asus-rog-zephyrus-g15-ga502iu-al011t-brushed-black-144hz-fhd-ryzen-7-gtx-1660ti-16gb-ddr4

Spec wise they both look similar. The Zephyrus seems to get higher marks for build quality and I prefer the look of it. Downsides are no webcam (not a huge problem) and no numeric keypad (which I'm used to but may be able to live without).

Any thoughts would be welcome, I haven't spent this much on a laptop before and in fairness it's probably shown in how long they've lasted me.

If portability is not a must I would consider getting a desktop computer. It will cost you less and be more reliable.

I own an ROG laptop and hate it with passion. Gaming laptops overheat and sound like an airplane taking off. You also can't upgrade / repair them as easily as desktops.

Advertisement