Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 core and earth

Options
  • 15-04-2020 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

does 3 core and earth now have to have to same size cpc and insulated as in the same scenario and t and e?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Hintel

thejobman wrote: »
    does 3 core and earth now have to have to same size cpc and insulated as in the same scenario and t and e?

Will do , are u talking about a flat lighting csble

• Registered Users Posts: 9 thejobman

Hintel wrote: »
    Will do , are u talking about a flat lighting csble

yep exactly, i want to replace all the old red and black singles, running across the attic and do all the wiring properly for the future.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

yep exactly, i want to replace all the old red and black singles, running across the attic and do all the wiring properly for the future.

I'm not here to police this but:
    For safety reasons this work it is best carried out by a qualified electrician. What you describe is not really a DIY task.

From a legal perspective a lot of domestic electrical work should only be carried out by a registered electrical contractor. For more information please read the forum charter.

Anyway whatever you do please be careful :)

I haven't seen it lately but I'm sure it will be the same as the 1.5 t+E

Do we even use it here

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »

i knew about the t and e but just wanted to clarify for the 3 core, any chance you know somewhere i could order online atm

And as above you are severely restricted in what you can do

I think add a socket or replace.an accessory, not.much more

Hintel wrote: »
    And as above you are severely restricted in what you can do

I think add a socket or replace.an accessory, not.much more
    even in the case of lights and switches?

Think so

Replacing cables isn't DIY anyhow as there's testing to be done after

Refer to the Restricted Works Decision Paper published by the Commission for Regulation of Utilities (CRU). As detailed in the above document “Minor electrical works” are exempt from this legislation.

Further clarification on minor electrical works was obtained by email from CER can be seen here.

• Advertisement

Refer to the Restricted Works Decision Paper published by the Commission for Regulation of Utilities (CRU). As detailed in the above document “Minor electrical works” are exempt from this legislation.

Further clarification on minor electrical works was obtained by email from CER can be seen here.

so lets say i want to move a 2 way switch from one side of the bedroom to the other and for argument sake the cable length is sufficient to allow this, i have to get a reci?

so lets say i want to move a 2 way switch from one side of the bedroom to the other and for argument sake the cable length is sufficient to allow this, i have to get a reci?

Legally no (once you are competent), as this does not fall under the scope of "restricted works". Read the document in the link for clarity.

Legally no (once you are competent), as this does not fall under the scope of "restricted works". Read the document in the link for clarity.

sorry on phone atm, the second part of the post got cut, but if the cable length isn't sufficient and i need to replace it is that covered?

sorry on phone atm, the second part of the post got cut, but if the cable length isn't sufficient and i need to replace it is that covered?

I believe that this is still “minor works” so a REC is not a legal requirement.

Advertisement