Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landscape photography and tripod advice

Options
  • 15-04-2020 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

Hi I’d like to order a tripod to take photos of landscape. I’m a beginner so just want something that works. My camera is a Cannon EOS550 D.

I would also appreciate if anyone has any tips? I would like to photograph the exact same spot each time to make a time lapse so would appreciate any guidance on this. I will be using landscape mode on the camera as I am a beginner :)

Are any of the below ok to use? There is so much choice I don’t know which to order. I’d like to order one tomorrow so would appreciate any input

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/cameras-and-camcorders/photography-accessories/tripods/346_3210_30312_xx_xx/xx-criteria.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

That's a super-cheap tripod. If your camera gear isn't particularly heavy, and there's no wind, it'll probably do the job.
    You won't want to use particularly long exposures. Generally with landscape photography, you want long exposures... so your results might not be as good as you'd hope for.
    But.... for only 30 quid, you're not losing a fortune if it turns out not to be the best.

Getting the tripod in exactly the same place will be tough. Hopefully you can mark exactly where at least two of the legs are, and use a tape measure or something to make sure it's at the same height.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭GBX

That style of tripod is grand to start with but it's limitations will show up after a while. They are often on sale under different brand names for next to nothing. Even on Adverts you'll find them. You can't independently position the legs at different angles - just different heights.
    You can pick up the likes of the below K&F tripod for a bit more. Multiple leG angles, ball head and integrated monopod in one or the legs. You also get an adapter for low level photos. Whereas the one you linked only allows for photos at the lowest height of 60cm.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Concept-Professional-Portable-Lightweight-Exchangeable/dp/B07H4G5FV6/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?keywords=k%26f%2Bconcept%2Btripod&qid=1575241991&rnid=1642204031&s=electronics&sr=1-17&th=1&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shbr458594

Hi Frilly Leaf,
    My Advice especially if you want consistent results would be to buy a better tripod, the cheaper tripod tend to shake with the slightest breeze, I have a Manfrotto tripod i got years ago it was expensive at the time but well worth the extra money at the time its still, Its rock solid even in windy conditions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Heebie wrote: »
    Generally with landscape photography, you want long exposures...

yes and no, though?
    depends on light levels of course, but @OP it'd be worth reading up on hyperfocal focussing to maximise use of depth of field, if you want most of the frame to be in focus (TL;DR - in general in landscape photography, your autofocus will probably end up focussing at or near infinity, but your aperture selected might give a depth of field which means a lot of it is 'past' infinity' and thus wasted - so you're better off focussing on something closer to the camera, while the points at infinity still fall within your depth of field)

also, if you do find the tripod is a little unsteady, it can help to hang a bag underneath it (if it has this facility) to add weight and stability.
    another little trick is to use the camera's self timer (or a remote release) - so your physical interaction with the camera doesn't occur at the point of exposure - even pressing the shutter release can move the camera slightly, so adding ten seconds between pressing it and the exposure beginning can't hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

frillyleaf wrote: »
    Hi I’d like to order a tripod to take photos of landscape. I’m a beginner so just want something that works. ...

Are any of the below ok to use? There is so much choice I don’t know which to order. I’d like to order one tomorrow so would appreciate any input

Seeing as "tomorrow" is now today, this message may be too late, but here's my 2cts anyway. My first tripod was very similar to the first one on that list, and I didn't realise how unsuitable it was for ... well, just about anything ... until I moved up a level or two. As a beginner, it's a mistake to buy/settle for "something that works" because it'll just increase the number of things you have to take account of when your pictures don't work.

Now I do still use that old crappy tripod from time to time - it's great for mounting a flash, where perfect stability isn't critical; and I sometimes put a smartphone (in video mode) on it for an alternative angle on a shot. But it's so light, once you extend the legs beyond the first stage, camera movement is almost guaranteed unless you're using it indoors with the doors and windows closed.

My preferred grab-and-go tripod is further down that page, an older version of the Manfrotto Compact Action, which is still pretty light - especially at medium-to-full height - but has enough all-round adjustability to be able to wedge it into places where there's at least some shelter from the weather, and there's a handy knob on the vertical post that allows me to hang a bag off it for extra weight as suggested by magicbastarder. For some landscape shots, though, I skip the tripod and just use the bag, a convenient rock, and the timer delay as also suggested by magicbastarder.

Landscape timelapse photography is a whole topic in itself, with all kinds of extra challenges over and above the usual "learning curves" of composition and exposure that beginners have to contend with, so don't rush into buying equipment just for that without getting a feel for "normal" landscape photography first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

yes and no, though?
    depends on light levels of course, but @OP it'd be worth reading up on hyperfocal focussing to maximise use of depth of field, if you want most of the frame to be in focus (TL;DR - in general in landscape photography, your autofocus will probably end up focussing at or near infinity, but your aperture selected might give a depth of field which means a lot of it is 'past' infinity' and thus wasted - so you're better off focussing on something closer to the camera, while the points at infinity still fall within your depth of field)

also, if you do find the tripod is a little unsteady, it can help to hang a bag underneath it (if it has this facility) to add weight and stability.
    another little trick is to use the camera's self timer (or a remote release) - so your physical interaction with the camera doesn't occur at the point of exposure - even pressing the shutter release can move the camera slightly, so adding ten seconds between pressing it and the exposure beginning can't hurt.

Thanks this is great advice! I am a total beginner, I've tried to learn about photography and get disinterested as the technical elements seem to confuse me. That is a great idea about the timer. I'll shot in landscape mode and then I may just take some close up pictures of plants too :)

Are there any on the link that you would recommend buying or how much would I need to spend on a tripod, I can't break the bank on this obviously, I am a beginner and just want to be able to show 'before' and 'after' changes in landscape in a local landscape

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

personally, i think the best thing about getting a tripod will be that it'll slow you down and make you think more about the shots you're taking.
    one of the biggest things to try to tackle is that while a wide vista might look great to the naked eye, if you use a wide lens to capture the vista, everything ends up tiny in the frame and it can be underwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

yes and no, though? depends on light levels of course

Not really. For landscapes, you calculate hyperfocal distance, figure your exposure based on the aperture you choose, then put on the ND filter(s) to make your exposures longer, and recalculate the exposure time to compensate for how much ND you're adding. (Ideally.. a lot of people don't do "ideal")

sure, if you specifically want long exposures? that's not a given though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

frillyleaf wrote: »
    Thanks this is great advice! I am a total beginner, I've tried to learn about photography and get disinterested as the technical elements seem to confuse me. That is a great idea about the timer. I'll shot in landscape mode and then I may just take some close up pictures of plants too :)

Are there any on the link that you would recommend buying or how much would I need to spend on a tripod, I can't break the bank on this obviously, I am a beginner and just want to be able to show 'before' and 'after' changes in landscape in a local landscape
    Buy the cheap one and get on with it. Think of it as your first car, it got the job done but was ugly as sin. However, if you like driving, you'll soon want a better car and you will have a much better idea of what type of car will suit you.
    The cheap tripod will get you started. If you keep waiting until you have all the 'right' gear you'll never take any photographs.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

On the look out for a good tripod also. I was given a loan of one of the cheaper ones, they really can mess up a shot most of the time. I was looking at that K&F one linked above myself, seems really solid!

This one on curries is fairly similar to the one I currently use, while it does work okay most of the time (when used with the remote timer, 10 second to let it settle) there are many shots ruined because it is just too light. When the quick adjust height is increased it can be extremely wobbly. What is good about it is the quick release on the legs and the handle to move it to another position quickly.

My advice if not purchased already, get a good one it will last a long time! Even a mid ranged one will be worth less over time than one at half its price, you will learn that the cheap will still make you want a better tripod so you are in fact paying for 2 tripods in the long run with the cheaper option! A mid range one will also have a lot more resale value than the cheap one so you can make the money back on it, it would be like you purchased the cheap one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Manfrotto Compact Advanced Aluminium Tripod with 3 Way Head, Black

This was my first tripod, and it worked a charm for a beginner tripod. Light enough to pop into a backpack without really noticing the weight and sturdy enough in normal conditions. When paired up with a lighter DSLR and smaller lens it was absolutely perfect. Still worked fine when I upgraded to a Canon 6D + Canon 17-40 too.
    It was a bit wobbly when fully extended, (and defineitly don't extended the tripod top extension piece, but that's okay again as a beginner because you don't necesarily need to fully extend it for many shots. Fully extended on the 3 legs, but keeping the stem down, it was pretty stable in most scenarios honestly.
    Certainly helped me learn the ropes for 3-4 years. I ended up parting ways with it because someone broke into my car and stole it (sure my fault for leaving it in the car maybe) but I'd be pretty happy to recomended it as a beginner tripod.

Advertisement