Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have to pay my loan? AIB moving offices.

• 15-04-2020 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Received the following message from AIB

Dear Customer,
    We are writing to tell you that on June 16th we are moving our head office and registered address to:
    10 Molesworth Street,
    Dublin 2,
    D02 R126.
    You don't have to do anything; it does not affect your accounts with us. We just have to let you know as our head office address is in our terms and conditions.
    If you do not wish to accept this change, you have the right to close your account, clearing anything you owe on it. We don't charge for closing your account. If we don't hear from you before the date this change comes into effect we will take it that you have accepted the change.
    If you have a question we'll be happy to help on 01 660 0311 or 00 353 1 660 0311 if you are calling outside Ireland from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.
    Thank you for banking with us.
    Yours sincerely,
    Peter Vance,
    Head of Customer Services

The way I read this is that I can close my account and not pay them? "I have the right close my account, clearing anything I owe on it"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

In what world does that mean not paying back your loan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Kieran_M wrote: »
    The way I read this is that I can close my account and not pay them? "I have the right close my account, clearing anything I owe on it"

But "clearing anything I owe on it" means paying them ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

You should definitely try that in my opinion.

*I'm not a solicitor or financial advisor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭who what when

No. They mean, if you want, you can pay off the loan in full in one payment.

Just letting you off the hook for monies owed would be very un-bank like behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Kieran_M

See it depends how you say it in your head, like where they emphasis lies. In my head that means I get to close my account and not pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Being selective there. You are free to close your account if you want, but you have to clear anything owed.

If it was the other way around, would you accept that they close a current account and keep any money in it?

And by "clearing" they mean, make disappear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,384 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

See it depends how you say it in your head, like where they emphasis lies. In my head that means I get to close my account and not pay.

In your head, nobody else...probably on Earth...would read it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Clear your account literally means to pay the outstanding balance. Thus bringing it to zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MartDublin

This has to be a joke thread?

• Advertisement

Its no joke:
    "If you have received an email from 'AIB Personal Banking' or ‘AIB Business Banking’ (info@email.comms.aib.ie) entitled “AIB are moving head office” this email is a genuine email from AIB. There are no links to any pages asking for your banking details in this email."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,384 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Its no joke:
    "If you have received an email from 'AIB Personal Banking' or ‘AIB Business Banking’ (info@email.comms.aib.ie) entitled “AIB are moving head office” this email is a genuine email from AIB. There are no links to any pages asking for your banking details in this email."

I think the poster means surely nobody could be stupid enough to think this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

You could try that but the resulting black mark will mean no loans for you for 5 years
    You'll also have legal action to deal with as your loan agreement is independent of the account used to record its progress

OK apologies this was a joke. Howevere, I actually did read it the wrong way earlier and thought it was a scam. I thereafter forwarded it to AIB's scam division and received the above answer that it was not a scam. Then I realised (following further consultation) I had read it entirely wrong.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

This is not the forum for joke threads. Please read and abide by the Charter before posting here in future.

Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement