Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Waters & Gemma O'Doherty to challenge lockdown in the high Court

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,113 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Balf wrote: »
    Actually not trolling, but not surprised that a baying mob is starting to assemble.

Give us your detailed legal advice then

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

[HTML][/HTML]
    One of the problems he has had is that he is too intelligent for arguing with people who like things simple. But I don’t get how same sex marriage was making things harder for fathers?
    Put very briefly, the opening position in both European and Irish law was that the right to marry was wrapped up in the right of heterosexual couples to have a family together. That didn't mean that gay marriage couldn't be provided for, just that it wasn't a right.

Waters argument, as I understand it, was you couldn't change the law around the right to marriage without impacting the law around parental rights, as you'd be changing one of the ways that such rights are established.

Not saying he's right or wrong, and the voting is over on that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

YFlyer wrote: »
    Sir Stevo Timothy doing a parody of Gemma confronting the Gardai.

Utterly unfunny and pathetic gimp, establishment stooge.

There was a time when comedians were wildly transgressive and very much anti establishment. Not anymore.

That takes balls though and clearly Sir Stevo and that other gimp Blindboy have none.

Irish people legally required to stay within 2k of their homes and if over 70 to stay at home.
    Someone challenges this and the normies lose their minds.

Non residents allowed to move about freely.....crickets.

Irish people legally required to stay within 2k of their homes and if over 70 to stay at home.

Someone challenged it because they believe 5g is poisoning us.. They don't care about public health and have a track record of being terrible people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Someone challenged it because they believe 5g is poisoning us.. They don't care about public health and have a track record of being terrible people.

They (the protesters + their figure heads) are not "normies" though <washes hands thoroughly after typing>
    One can say that about them! :pac:

Eh no they challenged it because they believe the laws are unconstitutional.

And as I said, the normies (and the media) had a meltdown over the fact that the restrictions may be lifted and of course the lack of social distancing at the courthouse.

As for the fact that anyone from outside the state may come in move about freely as the laws don't apply to them? Kind of defeats the purpose of the restrictions you might say.

But it doesn't seem to bother the normies or indeed the media at all. Not much outrage going around over that one is there? Funny that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Only 1 of those 3 statements is true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

TheChizler wrote: »
    Only 1 of those 3 statements is true

He used the word "normie", think that says enough.

And as I said, the normies (and the media) had a meltdown over the fact that the restrictions may be lifted and of course the lack of social distancing at the courthouse.

As for the fact that anyone from outside the state may come in move about freely as the laws don't apply to them? Kind of defeats the purpose of the restrictions you might say.

But it doesn't seem to bother the normies or indeed the media at all. Not much outrage going around over that one is there? Funny that

The lack of social distancing is a health risk so a reasonable concern and also not exactly a great sign of the intelligence of those supporters. They challenged it because Gemma does performances and will claim a national conspiracy when this fails.

And since our R0 is dropping, it's pretty clear that the measures have had an effect. Regardless of whatever gaps exist. Saying "normies" repeatedly is also a tad cringe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,113 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Pull the other one. Its an excuse for media whoring to rile up support. Nothing more.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I don't understand how the 2km radius limit is misunderstood by so many people.
    It only applies to exercise!

They need to hammer that home for the next round of restrictions, or make the restrictions tighter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,611 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Careful now. You're starting to side with Gemma O'Doherty.

I don't think the bould Gemma has ever come out in support of cycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Does anyone here know what this case is about?
    I thought they were looking for attention.
    Is it over? what the outcome? anyone in jail?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Does anyone here know what this case is about?
    I thought they were looking for attention.
    Is it over? what the outcome? anyone in jail?

It's a Judicial Review action they're taking. Effectively asking the High Court to review the legislation to see if it's compatible with the Constitution or not. The President should have referred the legislation to the Council of State, particularly given the obvious restrictions on movement and the economy, but he didn't, so a big "boo boo" on his part and wide open to legal challenge.

The State has been given two weeks to file a replying Affidavit to the contents of the Applicants proceedings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

It's a Judicial Review action they're taking. Effectively asking the High Court to review the legislation to see if it's compatible with the Constitution or not. The President should have referred the legislation to the Council of State, particularly given the obvious restrictions on movement and the economy, but he didn't, so a big "boo boo" on his part and wide open to legal challenge.

The State has been given two weeks to file a replying Affidavit to the contents of the Applicants proceedings.

Actually it would be a boo boo to have referred it under the article 26 procedure. It would then not be amenable to challenge ever again. Many times legislation is only discovered to have a problem after its in operation for a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Long_Wave

A neighbor of mine who is a former government minister told me that he believes the legislation is "very unsound". It's such a shame that G"OD is involved because she is mentally unhinged and can't keep her mouth shut. If it were just Waters with a good barrister I'd be confident of success

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭plodder

I think everyone gets that it was an oversight. If it turns out that hordes of people from the North start making day trips down South, then a new regulation could be drawn up to deal with that. Or maybe the gardai can report them to the PSNI as they may be breaking the NI rules by coming down south. I think most people have better things to be doing than exploiting a loophole in this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,022 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/gemmaod1/status/1254690967376072704

It must be tiring seeing whacky conspiracy in everything you see on a daily basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭threeball

It must be tiring seeing whacky conspiracy in everything you see on a daily basis.

Its worrying the amount of nutters that are replying positively in the comments. I thought she'd be getting torn to shreds. Or have people given up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

And I for one welcome our new communist/UN overlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

threeball wrote: »
    Its worrying the amount of nutters that are replying positively in the comments. I thought she'd be getting torn to shreds. Or have people given up?

Anyone who would rip her to shreds over that either ignores her or has already been blocked by her. Those agreeing are nutters and in some cases paid for fake accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭manodepeeple

threeball wrote: »
    dan1895 wrote: »
    Anyone who would rip her to shreds over that either ignores her or has already been blocked by her. Those agreeing are nutters and in some cases paid for fake accounts.

Yeah, her ramblings are basically an echo-chamber. Most who disagree are blocked or just ignoring her. She won't engage on Twitter as her only weapon is to "verbally shout down" common sense.
    There's little comedic value in her anymore unfortunately - it's all gone very samey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

I feel sorry for her. How can you sustain that level of paranoia? Next week, when it's clear even to the nutters that there hasn't been a coup by the UN, what's going on in a mind like that? It has to be a very unhappy existence.

Shes a sad case and I presume very unwell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

communist control - lol.

Isn't she a bad b1tch trying to stir the pot to get people to revolt during a pandemic of a new viral disease.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,932 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've just moved over 40 posts to the Restrictions Megathread

Please note the thread title here, which is not specifically related to a 2km exercise zone

Any questions PM me, do not respond to this post in-thread

mikhail wrote: »
    I feel sorry for her. How can you sustain that level of paranoia? Next week, when it's clear even to the nutters that there hasn't been a coup by the UN, what's going on in a mind like that? It has to be a very unhappy existence.

Presumable her intervention and calling to arms resulted in a climb down from the coup leaders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭trashcan

Oh my God, the UN are Commies now ? Heaven help us, will nobody think of the children ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Long_Wave wrote: »
    A neighbor of mine who is a former government minister told me that he believes the legislation is "very unsound". It's such a shame that G"OD is involved because she is mentally unhinged and can't keep her mouth shut. If it were just Waters with a good barrister I'd be confident of success

Define "success" in this scenario? Waters wins, the regulations are struck down, a few thousand muppets have house parties and go to the beach, and two weeks later, we've thousands more covid cases and hundreds of daily deaths.

I wouldn't exactly call that success, really, would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

I stopped following her on twitter..i used to look at her a laugh but after a while i found it quiet sad..as for the eejits that follow her ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I stopped following her on twitter..i used to look at her a laugh but after a while i found it quiet sad..as for the eejits that follow her ...

I'm gonna follow her later tonight - for the craic

Her initials are 'GOD'....ever think about that? There's definitely something in it! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

He used the word "normie", think that says enough.
    Yeah that poster has posted sh1te before in the vaxtard thread and then legs it when challenged....they really should really stay in the CT forum but I'm not surprised they are in a thread about Gemma and her crusty bedfellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭threeball

trashcan wrote: »
    Oh my God, the UN are Commies now ? Heaven help us, will nobody think of the children ?

Just goes to show that she doesn't even know about the actors she professes as the bad guys. Perhaps we should send her over to the Lithuanian border where she can watch the Commie UN standoff with the Commie Ruskies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,631 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Case due before the courts again today.

Only three possible outcomes.

1.They win - and they get granted airtime to pedal their beliefs and the Gardaí have no power to enforce the rules over a bank holiday, some renegade pubs might open, people travel and congregate and have an untold effect on combatting the spread of the virus.

2.They loose and vow that they will appeal until their dying breath, claim lots of conspiracy and hopefully get landed with costs.

3.It gets put back until next week. Thrown out on technicality, or some other reason to dismiss it.

Hopefully the second one, but I reckon the third.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭storker

I did the same. I thought it would be amusing but it's just a non-stop stream of effluent. And her disciples are just as bad.

Case due before the courts again today.

Only three possible outcomes.

1.They win - and they get granted airtime to pedal their beliefs and the Gardaí have no power to enforce the rules over a bank holiday, some renegade pubs might open, people travel and congregate and have an untold effect on combatting the spread of the virus.

2.They loose and vow that they will appeal until their dying breath, claim lots of conspiracy and hopefully get landed with costs.

3.It gets put back until next week. Thrown out on technicality, or some other reason to dismiss it.

Hopefully the second one, but I reckon the third.

Its only listed for mention so it will not be heard today.

The court may well levy contempt charges against gemma, if she does not apologise for the content of thevideo from outside the courtroom after last weeks omnishambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭storker

if she does not apologise for the content of thevideo from outside the courtroom after last weeks omnishambles.

Nice thought, but that would just be the prelude to her going full Joan of Arc.

Feck it, who cares, start stacking the ******s...

(The *****s refer to bunches of sticks bundled and tied for use as fuel). :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,703 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

She should have moved to the US, that anti-communisim stuff doesn't really have much of an audience here.

can someone please tell me what this is all about?
    I am not a fan of either of them and i think they are trying to make themselves relevant.

Many thanks..

• Advertisement

can someone please tell me what this is all about?
    I am not a fan of either of them and i think they are trying to make themselves relevant.

Many thanks..

They are taking a case against the rules / legislation whatever you want to call it that has been brought in for the coronavirus.

Its only listed for mention so it will not be heard today.

The court may well levy contempt charges against gemma, if she does not apologise for the content of thevideo from outside the courtroom after last weeks omnishambles.

Good to know, i wasn't aware. As shaky as the legislation may be from a technical point of view it is still the right thing.

They are taking a case against the rules / legislation whatever you want to call it that has been brought in for the coronavirus.

Thanks for that, i did know that and may not have asked properly.

Is there any real merit in what they are doing?
    Are they doing to grab media attention?
    If they win will Leo Varadkar go to jail?
    Basically what likely outcome?
    The Donegal thing has confirmed the legislation is flawed.

There is merit if you think a tiny victory over the legislative arm of the government is worth the risk of the public health. So no.

Yes.

No

Delayed until irrelevant and then nobody cares.

What’s the Donegal thing?

There is no merit in what they are doing in legal terms. They have made a mess of the case in terms of drafting the proceedings. Thd judge has already informed them of this.

They are doing it for media attention. This is clear because she is calling for people to artend the court.

There is no chance of leo going to jail over this. Theres a half decent chance that gemma will due to comments made by her after the last court date.

The likely outcome will be that they will fail in the application and have costs awarded against them.

There is merit if you think a tiny victory over the legislative arm of the government is worth the risk of the public health. So no.

Yes.

No

Delayed until irrelevant and then nobody cares.

What’s the Donegal thing?

Donegal thing is presumably the issue related to the fact that the gardai can do nothing if a northern ireland resident comes into this jurisdiction as the 2km restriction only applies to residences in the state.

There is no merit in what they are doing in legal terms. They have made a mess of the case in terms of drafting the proceedings. Thd judge has already informed them of this.

They are doing it for media attention. This is clear because she is calling for people to artend the court.

There is no chance of leo going to jail over this. Theres a half decent chance that gemma will due to comments made by her after the last court date.

The likely outcome will be that they will fail in the application and have costs awarded against them.

Thanks for that, its appreciated. As they say there is always one, in this instance two. It seemed silly bringing court proceedings when everyone struggling day by day.

Donegal, yes indeed to do with movement of people and its difficult to understand. I would say if they had included that in case it have more merit.
    They wont send her to jail but ie will keep both of them quiet hopefully...

Thanks for that, its appreciated. As they say there is always one, in this instance two. It seemed silly bringing court proceedings when everyone struggling day by day.

Donegal, yes indeed to do with movement of people and its difficult to understand. I would say if they had included that in case it have more merit.
    They wont send her to jail but ie will keep both of them quiet hopefully...

It might add merit to a diffrrent case as you are infringing on irish peoples rights greater than others but they are arguing against the regulations full stop. They do not want any restrictions so the error about people from the north would get them to where they wanna be.

Donegal thing is presumably the issue related to the fact that the gardai can do nothing if a northern ireland resident comes into this jurisdiction as the 2km restriction only applies to residences in the state.

I don’t doubt for a second that the legislation won’t stand up to decent scrutiny, that the government know this but hope it will get us through the lockdown before it’s taken apart.

While it may not be technically correct it’s obviously necessary and probably the best thing that could be done at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,247 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

if they win nothing changes, if a cop asks you where you're going he can't stop you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement