Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Waters & Gemma O'Doherty to challenge lockdown in the high Court

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,631 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

if they win nothing changes, if a cop asks you where you're going he can't stop you.

You should put your theory to the test over the weekend.

if they win nothing changes, if a cop asks you where you're going he can't stop you.

Oh dear.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭plodder

I don’t doubt for a second that the legislation won’t stand up to decent scrutiny, that the government know this but hope it will get us through the lockdown before it’s taken apart.

While it may not be technically correct it’s obviously necessary and probably the best thing that could be done at the time.
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. I think lawyers and politicians like to be certain about these things, and they just aren't in this case. It's untested, but I think there is a case to be made that the law is constitutional, but it relies on a frighteningly small number of words in the constitution, and more on judgements over the years. But, I'm not a judge or even a lawyer. So, what do I know? :pac:

plodder wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. I think lawyers and politicians like to be certain about these things, and they just aren't in this case. It's untested, but I think there is a case to be made that the law is constitutional, but it relies on a frighteningly small number of words in the constitution, and more on judgements over the years. But, I'm not a judge or even a lawyer. So, what do I know? :pac:

Me neither, no legal background, but it’s strange that the Gardai are directed not to make arrests for this just to inform the DPP. That kicks the can down the road far enough, it’s possible that an arrest under incorrect legislation could lead to ramifications against the state.

Maybe someone can answer how this legislation has been brought into effect without a Seanad having approved it.

And just to be clear, it’s the technicality of the legislation that I’m dubious of, not the purpose of it, i fully understand and accept the purpose of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭plodder

Me neither, no legal background, but it’s strange that the Gardai are directed not to make arrests for this just to inform the DPP.

Maybe someone can answer how this legislation has been brought into effect without a Seanad having approved it.
    It was approved by the outgoing (and current at the time) Seanad. I think a Seanad election has to be held within some period of time after a Dail election, but the election came later, but still within the required period. Right now, we are in that limbo where no primary legislation can be enacted because there is no new Taoiseach to appoint the final 11 members of the Seanad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

Access has been blocked on chancery place according to the times. One unidentified "friend" allowed to enter court with our brave plaintiffs. No doubt they will attempt a live stream from inside the court

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,022 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

It’s hardly needs to be said again, but what an appalling human being GoD is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭Be right back

It’s hardly needs to be said again, but what an appalling human being GoD is.

What a ridiculous woman. Hope they lose their court case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I did technically break the rules at the beginning, the cops did notice as i was in Galway in reg not common in Galway.
    There was this car with 2 men it caught up on me gradually, stayed behind for awhile, then as traffic slowed overtook and had a good look.
    They then slowed so i would pass and were around me for 10 mins.
    Then as we came to shopping centre they were sitting outsite just behind me at lights, when the lights changed they just went straight on.
    I know they do nothing as i drove to Galway, picked up message and drove home. I had a good story if i was stopped but didn't want the bother...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,611 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

osarusan wrote: »
    She should have moved to the US, that anti-communisim stuff doesn't really have much of an audience here.

If we were to do a crowdfunder for a one-way ticket?

If we were to do a crowdfunder for a one-way ticket?

Don't forget John Waters as well. Two one-way tickets.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The state of her, telling the Garda will lose her pension, job and uniform. More pathetic than funny.

The state of her, telling the Garda will lose her pension, job and uniform. More pathetic than funny.

She is very quick to film others but when she is being filmed, she virtually runs away, covering her face.

Me neither, no legal background, but it’s strange that the Gardai are directed not to make arrests for this just to inform the DPP. That kicks the can down the road far enough, it’s possible that an arrest under incorrect legislation could lead to ramifications against the state.

And just to be clear, it’s the technicality of the legislation that I’m dubious of, not the purpose of it, i fully understand and accept the purpose of it.

Oh dear.

You are making assertions about a law being unconstitutional but don't understand the basics of the prosecution services.

Multiple people have been arrested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

What a horrible nasty person she truly is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭whippet

she is now walking an ever finer line with direct threats to members of the AGS
    You will comply
    I will have you stripped of your uniform, your job and your pension

what a horrible horrible thing to say to a front line worker doing their job and trying to enforce legislation that is designed to keep everyone safe and reduce unnecessary deaths.

Her ego is now being rubbed so hard by all the press attention - negative as it may - it will fuel her to behave even worse. Probably leading to an arrest and her declaring that she is up there with other patriots like connolly and pearse.

I hope that the failure in the high court costs her every penny she has

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Needles73 wrote: »
    What a horrible nasty person she truly is.

For months now, maybe years "its all coming to an end very shortly, the people wont take much more etc" :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

There must be a how to deal with Gemma O'Doherty training course in templemore at this stage ...In fairness i think we all need it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Watch what happens when the reporter tries to ask a legitimate question. Blocked and ignored just like when she is challenged online.

All for freedom of speech but refuses to answer questions.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1255121212973465602?s=19

• Advertisement

Oh dear.

You are making assertions about a law being unconstitutional but don't understand the basics of the prosecution services.

Multiple people have been arrested

Who has been arrested? Link.

^^ Just watched the above footage. Gas the way a man stands in front of the tv camera, to try block Gemma being filmed but it's ok for her followers to film the guards doing their jobs.

dan1895 wrote: »
    Watch what happens when the reporter tries to ask a legitimate question. Blocked and ignored just like when she is challenged online.

All for freedom of speech but refuses to answer questions.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1255121212973465602?s=19

Doesn’t seem to bother the Mask wearing old guy at the end that he pushes a woman over into the barrier.

They should all be thrown into the river, and if the legislation they are trying to turnover is so strong then why don’t they arrest them????

Allinall wrote: »

Oh dear

You should really read what you linked. The first guy was for 5million Worth of coke, and the second article doesn’t cover the story properly. This one does and it’s from the same day...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/arrests-under-covid-19-legislation-more-than-quadruple-in-a-week-1.4234307?mode=amp

Where it clearly says....
    According to a Garda spokesman, these were incidents which “started as potential breaches of the regulations, but during the incidents other offences were disclosed.

“As such, long-standing legislation for offences such as public order, assault, road traffic, and drugs was used instead. This included incidents involving house/street parties, gatherings beyond the family unit, and non-essential travel“

So they are not using the legislation to arrest people, the arrests are for other offenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭Allinall

Oh dear

You should really read what you linked. The first guy was for 5million Worth of come, and the second article doesn’t cover the story properly. This one does and it’s from the same day...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/arrests-under-covid-19-legislation-more-than-quadruple-in-a-week-1.4234307?mode=amp

Where it clearly says....

First guy was " arrested in Ballymun for breaching the Health (Preservation and Protection and other Emergency Measures in the Public Interest) Bill, 2020."

Is that not what you asked?

If not, apologies.

Allinall wrote: »
    First guy was " arrested in Ballymun for breaching the Health (Preservation and Protection and other Emergency Measures in the Public Interest) Bill, 2020."

Is that not what you asked?

If not, apologies.

If you read that article it’s pretty clear that there is a lot more to the case than is being reported. His arrest came after the Gardaí consulted the DPP not as a result of a roadside check, he is charged related to 5million worth of Coke. The details of the case are obviously not fully known.

The simple Fact is that Gardaí for whatever reason are not arresting people for this legislation, the arrests are being made for other things as a result of traffic stops that are in place because of this.

The Gardaí have been told to refer breaches to the DPP. If the powers were to be used immediately then them bunch of muppets that rocked up to support GemmaFood would have been the perfect time to put people in the back of a van with the national media present.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bocaman

People are unable to attend funerals, unable to see aged and sick parents and these far right anti-Irish morons can swarm around the Four Courts. Each and every one of them should be arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Doesn’t seem to bother the Mask wearing old guy at the end that he pushes a woman over into the barrier.

They should all be thrown into the river, and if the legislation they are trying to turnover is so strong then why don’t they arrest them????

He didn't push her though. She turned around and fell back into the barrier. They're all idiots being there so close to each other. I can't understand how the Gardai won't arrest them. They are clearly not abiding to social Distances and don't need to be there

CosmicFool wrote: »
    He didn't push her though. She turned around and fell back into the barrier. They're all idiots being there so close to each other. I can't understand how the Gardai won't arrest them. They are clearly not abiding to social Distances and don't need to be there

Apparently everyone there today and last week are being investigated with directions being sought from the dpp ....one can but hope

• Advertisement

Apparently everyone there today and last week are being investigated with directions being sought from the dpp ....one can but hope

Just wondering how would they know who everyone is? Feel sorry for the child in that group.

Just wondering how would they know who everyone is? Feel sorry for the child in that group.

Ah it wouldnt be too hard to ID most of them... its all the usual suspects i imagine. They all had the intelligence to make sure they were photographed anyway so you could easily ID them via facebook probably

Ah it wouldnt be too hard to ID most of them... its all the usual suspects i imagine. They all had the intelligence to make sure they were photographed anyway so you could easily ID them via facebook probably

One benefit of Facebook, I suppose!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

that's that dope that was asking to bring your trycolour last week :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

5g masts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭trashcan

It's disgusting behaviour, makes me angry to be honest. Talk about a sense of entitlement. You just know she's dying to get a reaction from the Guard. What a weapon she is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

trashcan wrote: »
    It's disgusting behaviour, makes me angry to be honest. Talk about a sense of entitlement. You just know she's dying to get a reaction from the Guard. What a weapon she is.

You'd want Olympic levels of patience not to react

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,233 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Gemma is set to lead the peoples revolt on May 5th I thought?

Like Nelson Mandela crossed with William Wallace no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

The simple Fact is that Gardaí for whatever reason are not arresting people for this legislation, the arrests are being made for other things as a result of traffic stops that are in place because of this.

The Gardaí have been told to refer breaches to the DPP. If the powers were to be used immediately then them bunch of muppets that rocked up to support GemmaFood would have been the perfect time to put people in the back of a van with the national media present.

You may not understand how the judicial system and prosecutions work in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭trashcan

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    You'd want Olympic levels of patience not to react

Both Guards did very well to keep cool I think. Doubt if I could have managed it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

bocaman wrote: »
    People are unable to attend funerals, unable to see aged and sick parents and these far right anti-Irish morons can swarm around the Four Courts. Each and every one of them should be arrested.

They're neither right, nor left, nor centre.

They've an old stick used to mix up fresh paint from the can, that they are stirring sh!te with now, becuase they cant go buy paint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

:D
    They're neither right, nor left, nor centre.

They've an old stick used to mix up fresh paint from the can, that they are stirring sh!te with now, becuase they cant go buy paint.

:D

You may not understand how the judicial system and prosecutions work in this country.

You may not understand how spin and PR works. The powers that be are making a very public attempt to convince the public that this legislation is working, workable and enforceable when it clearly isnt. Their hope is that it will get past this bank holiday weekend before falling asunder.

Tell me more about this judicial system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

CosmicFool wrote: »

Arrest them? That’s exactly what these clowns want. The Garda are right, let them at it....

Too many idiots around with mobiles, you arrest them and next thing you will get more supporters just because they hate the Garda, like that clown over in Findlay, the PBP d**khead. Same crap and then all over the press

Let them at it, what they have about 50 clowns at it and about 50 pres? The press are bigger gob****s

I did see one thing which they got right, pres guy asking why they had no masks and standing so close....he had no mask and was pushing up against people to get closer!!!!! Dopes all of them
    Including the media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,022 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

You may not understand how spin and PR works. The powers that be are making a very public attempt to convince the public that this legislation is working, workable and enforceable when it clearly isnt. Their hope is that it will get past this bank holiday weekend before falling asunder.

The legislation is working as have flattened the curve massively, but dont worry about the truth or facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Gardaí may (or may not) arrest, and may refer matters to the Director of Public Prosecutions. The DPP decides whether or not to prosecute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Long_Wave

People mock Gemma and John now but in 6 months time, if there's no jobs and no dole people will think differently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Long_Wave wrote: »
    People mock Gemma and John now but in 6 months time, if there's no jobs and no dole people will think differently

The goverment are considering removing jobseekers allowance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Long_Wave wrote: »

Why?

• Advertisement
Advertisement