Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Waters & Gemma O'Doherty to challenge lockdown in the high Court

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Imagine falling for it though

Who are the people are buying this Nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

plodder wrote: »
    But they didn't produce any expert evidence, unlike the state. All they had was irrelevant rhetoric.

They didn't produce any evidence at all to the satisfaction of the Court. The facts sworn in the affidavit only alluded to the situation as it stood two months ago when the death toll was two. At paragraph 29 of the judgment it was noted that the test at this stage is whether the facts sworn, if proved, would support an arguable case in law, so the threshold is not very high.
    What would have been avoided? This completely unconsequential case? The best they can hope for from the Court of Appeal (in my unqualified opinion) is some advice on how to put together a better case in the High Court.

The worst outcome from this case, would be costs 'not being' awarded against them.

I don't think the case is entirely inconsequential. The Court of Appeal could overturn the High Court decision and grant leave, it could remit the case back to the High Court, the Court of Appeal's decision could be appealed to the Supreme Court, they could re-issue the proceedings as plenary proceedings (the correct format), but it's futile to speculate on what the ultimate outcome may or may not be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

If Tubs has any sense of fair play they should be invited on to the LLS tomorrow night.We could do with a bit of humour during these dark times
    I'd be disappointed if they were given the air time to be honest. Let then disappear into the Twitter-sphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

Creol1 wrote: »
    They didn't produce any evidence at all to the satisfaction of the Court. The facts sworn in the affidavit only alluded to the situation as it stood two months ago when the death toll was two. At paragraph 29 of the judgment it was noted that the test at this stage is whether the facts sworn, if proved, would support an arguable case in law, so the threshold is not very high.

I don't think the case is entirely inconsequential. The Court of Appeal could overturn the High Court decision and grant leave, it could remit the case back to the High Court, the Court of Appeal's decision could be appealed to the Supreme Court, they could re-issue the proceedings as plenary proceedings (the correct format), but it's futile to speculate on what the ultimate outcome may or may not be.

Thecase is inconsequential because on appeal, they will have the same issue...a complete lack of evidence as to how the acts are unconstitutional. An appeal will not be heard for a few months so itll all be moot by then.

swampy353 wrote: »
    Any chance you could give examples, don't want to provide that psychotic loon anymore clicks.

Why has JW tied his cart to this horse? He has always been a bit fringe, would regularly disagree with this assessment of things but there was always a rationale behind it.
    Does he actually believe this anti-vaxxer/obamagate/5g/Qanon\Bill Gates\Scamdemic ...... crap or is he just aligning himself on this one "issue"?

Examples of contempt? I think they baldly state that the court is corrupt and is under orders from the government to refuse them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If Tubs has any sense of fair play they should be invited on to the LLS tomorrow night.We could do with a bit of humour during these dark times
    They crave publicity, all that would really accomplish is rallying more nutjobs to support them.

There should really be an agreed media blackout on both of them in the public interest. Aside from serious matters; like a court judgement, the media should refrain from even mentioning them in a tiny .

Their goal is public recognition and nothing else. Every time they're mentioned, they're given more air to breathe. There is no such thing as bad press for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

Runaways wrote: »

Geeks and weaks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Top class idea but I would prefer someone more able than "Tubs" or Miriam or any of the RTE spoofers. Fine for the toy show but not the job that needs to be done on Gemma. Jeremy Clarkson could be drafted in but at the risk of providing an "I was in Ireland last week and unbelievably ………." story for him

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Runaways wrote: »

I am in a telegram group full of their anti lockdown supporters. Not posting anything, just lurking. I'm shocked just reading the unbelievable ****e they post.

Multiple Internet memes, clips of Infowars, IFP and/or QAnon YouTube videos.
    "Bill Gates is using 5G to cause Covid"
    "Covid is a hoax to install 5G"
    "5G is going to control the microchips that will be included inside the hoax Covid vaccine"
    "NWO is behind all of this hoax"
    "Covid is a global hoax to force us to accept a single global government and a cashless society"

A small number of members ask questions about science or facts and get slammed.

There are people there who believe the Magna Carta will over rule the Irish Constitution. They are all MAGA muppet.

They were thrilled that they got 2 dozen people outside Leinster House on Tuesday. They are hoping for "double or triple our numbers" this weekend.
    Infini wrote: »
    Good. Professional Shìtposters like Gemma and John deserve to have costs levied against them for wasting everyones time for their vainglorious egos.

Which is wonderfully ironic considering that Gemma opening with “this is a waste of taxpayers money”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I found the judgment surprising reading. I expected that the main reason for refusing leave to bring the case would be that the wrong procedure (Judicial Review) was adopted, as this certainly was the case. Judicial Review is essentially the procedure for the High Court to quash decisions of lower courts or other quasi-judicial bodies, not Acts of the Oireachtas.

However, the Court held that this wasn't necessarily a barrier because the proceedings could be converted, but refused leave to bring the case on the basis that it wasn't arguable. I think it correct to say that there isn't an arguable case as far as their claims about the legitimacy of the Dáil's quorum, etc, were concerned, because the Constitution is very clear about the separation of powers, but I think the finding that there was no arguable case regarding the proportionality of the restrictions is more vulnerable to being overturned in the Court of Appeal.

This could all have been avoided if Michael D had referred the legislation to the Supreme Court to determine its constitutionality. It would have resulted in a slight delay but I have no doubt it would have been upheld and it would have been immune from any possible legal challenge.

The reason for this process is to stop cases that are simply wastes of time going to the courts. It was noted several times in the transcripts that the threshold for actually obtaining leave is very low; yet they still failed to make it. They didn't even need to argue their case, just set out why they feel they have a case, but they still didn't manage that.

Some are picturing this as some sort of Clarence Darrow or (lesser known) Clarence Gideon case, where an underdog takes a meticulously argued and true case against overwhelming state power and wins a victory for the common man. It's really just 2 conspiracy theorists throwing a desperately poorly argued case at the state in the hopes of causing disruption and gaining attention.

The basis of their case wasn't any real evidence or facts (their "narrative" of the facts ended on March 16th, claiming we only had 2 deaths from Covid-19 in Ireland); they simply felt that their opinion was superior to that of the HSE, Department of Health, the WHO etc. The judge saw that this was clearly a non-runner and rightly refused leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Tenger wrote: »
    "5G is going to control the microchips that will be included inside the hoax Covid vaccine"

Madness altogether. Microprocessors small enough to be unnoticeably injected are too small to use antennae. What they instead use to communicate is light. And nobody powerful is looking to bring light inside the body, are they?? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

redarmy wrote: »
    Gemma O’Doherty and John Waters to face a bill of between €50,000 and €75,000 in legal costs following their failed judicial review case. Reporting shortly on
    @drivetimerte

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

I am in a telegram group full of their anti lockdown supporters. Not posting anything, just lurking. I'm shocked just reading the unbelievable ****e they post.

"Covid is a global hoax to force us to accept a single global government and a cashless society"

There are people there who believe the Magna Carta will over rule the Irish Constitution. They are all MAGA muppet.

They were thrilled that they got 2 dozen people outside Leinster House on Tuesday. They are hoping for "double or triple our numbers" this weekend.

Which is wonderfully ironic considering that Gemma opening with “this is a waste of taxpayers money”

Damn those Lizard People. Damn them all to hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I'm convinced most dont really believe it all. There will be a few but I think most are just thrill seekers of another kind. A hobby if you like. Its fun to be contrarian on everything and believe stuff that makes you look mad or 'edgy'. Dungeons and dragons for a different type of nerd. I could believe they actually believe some of it if they didnt believe ALL of it. Fine you might have your one or two conspiracy theories or minority views. But to be supporting all of them and everything that goes against the status quo just smacks of it being deliberate. Or they're bitter/ mentally ill whatever.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Bridge93 wrote: »
    I'm convinced most dont really believe it all. There will be a few but I think most are just thrill seekers of another kind. A hobby if you like. Its fun to be contrarian on everything and believe stuff that makes you look mad or 'edgy'. Dungeons and dragons for a different type of nerd. I could believe they actually believe some of it if they didnt believe ALL of it. Fine you might have your one or two conspiracy theories or minority views. But to be supporting all of them and everything that goes against the status quo just smacks of it being deliberate. Or they're bitter/ mentally ill whatever.

I would agree. But the level of delusion I am seeing is shocking.
    Must try get a couple of screenshot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I’m thinking of re-naming my wifi to something like 5G-Spreadcovid. Might be fun if there are any twoofers around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Ipso wrote: »
    I’m thinking of re-naming my wifi to something like 5G-Spreadcovid. Might be fun if there are any twoofers around.

Ah I wouldn't go out of my way to draw attention from those kinds of people.

We get it , government's are corrupt to various degrees but it's the best we can get right now, it doesn't mean they are trying to infect you with a virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

TheChizler wrote: »
    Madness altogether. Microprocessors small enough to be unnoticeably injected are too small to use antennae. What they instead use to communicate is light. And nobody powerful is looking to bring light inside the body, are they?? ;)

Light, and disinfectant, but sssh, keep it to yourself. Someone did let the cat out of the bag, but I think he got away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Oh come on trying to obfuscate and claim they have a case

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

frillyleaf wrote: »
    Who funds these two ? Where do they get their money from?

She has a donation page, I wondered if they managed to swindle any cash out of that young man with Down syndrome who was pictured at their gatherings. A few others looked like they possibly have intellectual disabilities too (or whatever this weeks PC term is). She is sickening, I bet if you had gone to one of these gatherings and start coughing half them would have ran a mile and pulled out masks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

rubadub wrote: »
    She has a donation page, I wondered if they managed to swindle any cash out of that young man with Down syndrome who was pictured at their gatherings. A few others looked like they possibly have intellectual disabilities too (or whatever this weeks PC term is). She is sickening, I bet if you had gone to one of these gatherings and start coughing half them would have ran a mile and pulled out masks.
    Doubt that's where her money comes from, wouldn't expect that they earn enough to support the loon. I would think it's more likely that her money comes from the US, you'll regularly see tweets which have no relevance to Ireland, but promote a US only issue eg expose CBS

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Not a chance will the court of appeal overturn the decision. The affidavits have closed. The appeal will be based on an assessment of the evidence Meenan had before him at the time he refused leave which we know was garbage stream of consciousness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

Are they also saying people shouldn't be sheep and do their own research? (as in, watch youtube videos until you find one that agrees with your agenda)

Polar101 wrote: »
    Are they also saying people shouldn't be sheep and do their own research? (as in, watch youtube videos until you find one that agrees with your agenda)

More like read more into topics from a wide range of different points of view. I would see the alt right as been more sheep then anyone else, within their own bias bubble any amount of crap is spouted and accepted at face value. When someone has the cheek to question or dispute the new theory, they are a shill trying to undermine the movement. If they cannot accept scrutiny of the ideas, they are the sheep.

The latest and greatest is that the death rate for covid is lower than seasonal flu, this is correct BUT there wasn't a lock down for seasonal flu and the death rate for covid is low because there were measures put in place.

The people who are so inclined stop at the death rate, people who want to be informed find out the 2nd bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/gemmaod1/status/1261207214309683201

Is she suggesting we will pay her bill?

They took a case and they lost so they should pay.

Have costs been awarded yet? Fergal might be jumping ahead of himself there in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

She did it on behalf of the people of ireland so i guess its only fair we get to pay it.

eeepaulo wrote: »
    She did it on behalf of the people of ireland so i guess its only fair we get to pay it.

Not sure we asked her to do it? Was there a vote i missed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Not sure we asked her to do it? Was there a vote i missed?

You may have missed this vote. Gemma obviously did.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Hibernicis wrote: »
    You may have missed this vote. Gemma obviously did.....

Or this one?

Election 2020: Far-right candidates put in dismal showing

"One of the best performers from the far-right milieu was Gemma O’Doherty, a former Irish Independent journalist turned conspiracy theorist and anti-immigration campaigner. She took 1.97 per cent of the vote in Fingal"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Have costs been awarded yet? Fergal might be jumping ahead of himself there in fairness.

You need to understand journo speak, "to face" means it might happen or it might not.

Scrap the cap!

You need to understand journo speak, "to face" means it might happen or it might not.
    "May have to face" would indicate it might happen or might not, "to face" is a definitive statement.

"May have to face" would indicate it might happen or might not, "to face" is a definitive statement.

The court has invited submissions as to the order he should make on costs. The usual procedure is that they will have costs awarded against them because they lost. But the court does not have to do that...although they have to convince the court to not award costs against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

It's comedy gold, we give ray darcy half a million euro a year, on that basis she's a steal.

With all the sports tv and movie stars isolating we should be doubling down, get a film crew on her and tell her to open an exotic animal park, maybe focusing on big cats.

eeepaulo wrote: »
    It's comedy gold, we give ray darcy half a million euro a year, on that basis she's a steal.

With all the sports tv and movie stars isolating we should be doubling down, get a film crew on her and tell her to open an exotic animal park, maybe focusing on big cats.

Or many small cats... think it suits her better

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

I take it their costs are negligible as they represented themselves.

So presumably its whether the State seeks its costs; rare in this kind of case for the State to get its costs paid, even when they win.

But who's to know?

I take it their costs are negligible as they represented themselves.

So presumably its whether the State seeks its costs; rare in this kind of case for the State to get its costs paid, even when they win.

But who's to know?

Absolutely not, they are looking at between 50-75k according to rte. Its not just their costs in the governments barristers etc plus court time

Absolutely not, they are looking at between 50-75k according to rte. Its not just their costs in the governments barristers etc plus court time

50 to 75k is all the states costs. The applicsnts costs would be stamp duty on court papers which would be less than €150-200.

The state had senior counsel and two junior counsels in total i think. The senior could be 10k (or more) per day over 2 days in total. Plus two thirds of that for juniors so thats €44 k potentially just on barrister fees alone for the hearing. There would be further fees for the two dates it was for mention plus a brief fee for each barrister for reading the papers. Could very quickly reach 75k.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Erm, I did say the issue was if the State's costs were ordered to be paid by them, didn't I?

And the Judge hasn't ordered yet, so RTE have jumped the gun.
    50 to 75k is all the states costs. The applicsnts costs would be stamp duty on court papers which would be less than €150-200.

The state had senior counsel and two junior counsels in total i think. The senior could be 10k (or more) per day over 2 days in total. Plus two thirds of that for juniors so thats €44 k potentially just on barrister fees alone for the hearing. There would be further fees for the two dates it was for mention plus a brief fee for each barrister for reading the papers. Could very quickly reach 75k.
    I take it this wouldn't be the time to take in how quickly the legals claim €75,000 in fees.

Would folk expect you need to be paid €75,000 to produce a sound argument to refute Gemtrails?

• Advertisement

Erm, I did say the issue was if the State's costs were ordered to be paid by them, didn't I?

I take it this wouldn't be the time to take in his quickly the legals claim €75,000 in fees.

Would folk expect you need to be paid €75,000 to produce a sound argument to refute Gemtrails?

Well 50 to 75k will be whats claimed by the state but that sum will always be taxed in default if necessary. But 50 to 75 would not be unreasonable at going rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

I take it this wouldn't be the time to take in how quickly the legals claim €75,000 in fees.

Fair question. I don't believe in punishment by legal costs and 75K seems to be an excessive over estimate in this case.

In all likelihood they states costs will be award against GemGem. There is a precedent of costs not been assigned to the loser if the case in the public interest. Don't think this will be the case here they failed in seeking leave to make a challenge. They didn't even prove that there may be a case against the laws

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Polar101 wrote: »
    Are they also saying people shouldn't be sheep and do their own research?
    When the mantra is "do the research" can there be any excuse for those saying that not doing their own research ?

Especially when it's a legal requirement for the High Court case you have started ?

And then not even challenge the affidavit of the other side when they presented their research ?

It's on record that a High Court Judicial Review said they didn't do their research.

https://static.rasset.ie/documents/news/2020/05/approved-odoherty-and-waters-v.-minister-for-health-ireland-and-the-attorney-general.pdf
    55. ... Other than their views, the applicants identified no supportive expert opinion either in the Statement of Grounds or grounding affidavit.

56. ... Unsubstantiated opinions, speeches, empty rhetoric and a bogus historical parallel are not a substitute for facts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Fair question. I don't believe in punishment by legal costs and 75K seems to be an excessive over estimate in this case.
    I'm actually surprised that a trip to the High Court didn't cost £300K.

It's a privilege denied to many homeowners because you could literally loose your home. For me the High Court is only for people with very deep pockets or with nothing left to lose. Anyone inbetween needs to be certain they can win and have done everything possible to present their case properly.

It could have been done by plenary proceedings.
    They could have presented medical or scientific evidence.

They never had a case, they didn't even try to have a case.
    Why should taxpayers subsidise their egos or publicity stunts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

I just hope they get riddled by the court system on euros to pay out. Might soften her cough a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I don't know if its excessive but I reckon 75k is a bargain price for this utterly obnoxious marketing campaign, how much would that media coverage have costed in real paid adverts?

If they don't have to pay some other similar scumbag out to get free advertising will pull a similar stunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

What on earth were they doing for 7 weeks that they couldn't even do a bit of googling for a few facts to back up their claims?! Too busy acting the bollix at checkpoints and posting videos and tweets. Proves that's all she really cares about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

I'm actually surprised that a trip to the High Court didn't cost £300K.

It's a privilege denied to many homeowners because you could literally loose your home. For me the High Court is only for people with very deep pockets or with nothing left to lose. Anyone inbetween needs to be certain they can win and have done everything possible to present their case properly.

It could have been done by plenary proceedings.
    They could have presented medical or scientific evidence.

Don't get me wrong. The costs should be awarded against them. Sometimes the state will suck it up if it is seen that the case has been useful in clarifying some aspect of the law, but that doesn't apply here. I'm just wondering how the figure of 75K was arrived at for such a straight forward easily dismissed case.

Don't get me wrong. The costs should be awarded against them. Sometimes the state will suck it up if it is seen that the case has been useful in clarifying some aspect of the law, but that doesn't apply here. I'm just wondering how the figure of 75K was arrived at for such a straight forward easily dismissed case.

There you go

What on earth were they doing for 7 weeks that they couldn't even do a bit of googling for a few facts to back up their claims?! Too busy acting the bollix at checkpoints and posting videos and tweets. Proves that's all she really cares about.

They probably did but limited the results to conspiracy theory sites, as any established scientific, medical, media ... sites are all fronts or part of the hoax etc, at least going by what was said and their usual ranting online.

In reality your correct and its a really bad attempt at trying to make political gain when people are beginning to feel cabin fever with the restrictions (see the threads on here for example) and a way to boost donations from various gullible people online.

• Advertisement
Advertisement