Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Waters & Gemma O'Doherty to challenge lockdown in the high Court

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 hippo300

Go home Gemma, you’re drunk.

You appear to share intellectual abilities to construct arguments with the judge.

hippo300 wrote: »
    Judge should be demoted for this. He has obligation to the law, not to scientific qualifications or expertise. You don;t need to be medical expert to be able to challenge any law that is restricting your constitutional freedoms. Your standing is being citizen of Ireland, not a medical degree.

It's said how well this judicial nonsense is received on this forum.

I won't even start how many times during this pandemic expert changed their opinions (most recently schools appear to be safe, previously face masks, no expert was there to prevent pandemic or limit the damage before it was very late). What matters is that opinionated judge makes it impossible to challenge legislation, because "they're not experts".

EDIT: If the law affects me, I have standing. If the law affects my constitutional freedoms, there is no justification for what the judge did.

They made scientific claims and they had a fake expert to push claims about the virus. So his statement is entirely relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

Judge should be demoted for this. He has obligation to the law, not to scientific qualifications or expertise. You don;t need to be medical expert to be able to challenge any law that is restricting your constitutional freedoms. Your standing is being citizen of Ireland, not a medical degree.

I won't even start how many times during this pandemic expert changed their opinions (most recently schools appear to be safe, previously face masks, no expert was there to prevent pandemic or limit the damage before it was very late). What matters is that opinionated judge makes it impossible to challenge legislation, because "they're not experts".

EDIT: If the law affects me, I have standing. If the law affects my constitutional freedoms, there is no justification for what the judge did.

The medical evidence has nothing to do with standing. He said they have standing in relation to the general appication of the law.

They are not experts is relevant because in court, only experts can give evidence of that nature. Gemma can cite as many papers as she likes but the court cannot accept that as evidence because of the rules of evidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

You appear to share intellectual abilities to construct arguments with the judge.

I know you intended it as one, but that's not actually an insult...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Well it didn't knock her back too much. She's been on Twitter the last 2 or 3 hours going on about the supposed, in her mind, link between autism and vaccines.

Good chance they will make a legal challenge against any future Covid-19 vaccine being licenced for use here.

If I said what I thought about these two I'd definitely be getting a red card!

• Advertisement

whippet wrote: »
    Incorrect .. he dismissed their medical and scientific claims as they were not backed up by any facts ... and they offered no back up which was the grounds to dismiss

Incorrect - read his words. He refers to their rhetoric. Rhetoric is what made law in the first place. Constitution is not based on science but on ethic and philosophy. There should be no need for scientific arguments at all - the question is what government can do, there cannot be a justification "well, maybe unconstitutional, but for greater good".

However talking about science - what science government applied by allowing tourists from italy and uk until very last days, or when they said that there is no need to limit visits to care homes? What does science say about closing beaches, what is the infection risk there? Why does ordinary citizen needs to obtain PHD to challenge government, while government doesn't release scientific data before making decision?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Registered Sept 2016 and now you strike! Goodness me, talk about deep cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

LOL you completely misquoted the judge selectively editing the full paragraph, how gemma-esque of you.

Heres the full quote, notice how it is completely different and not at all what you claim he is saying.

https://imgur.com/aT6wchz
    aT6wchz.jpg

I know you intended it as one, but that's not actually an insult...

Why would you think that was attempted insult? You don't like what you said?

VinLieger wrote: »
    LOL you completely misquoted the judge selectively editing the full paragraph, how gemma-esque of you.

Heres the full quote, notice how it is completely diffwerent and not at all what you claim he is saying.

Was that their only argument?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Incorrect - read his words. He refers to their rhetoric. Rhetoric is what made law in the first place. Constitution is not based on science but on ethic and philosophy. There should be no need for scientific arguments at all - the question is what government can do, there cannot be a justification "well, maybe unconstitutional, but for greater good".

However talking about science - what science government applied by allowing tourists from italy and uk until very last days, or when they said that there is no need to limit visits to care homes? What does science say about closing beaches, what is the infection risk there? Why does ordinary citizen needs to obtain PHD to challenge government, while government doesn't release scientific data before making decision?
    I'm no constitutional lawyer, but I'm fairly sure the common good features in both the constitution and subsequent judgements.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

:D:D:D:D:D

youre a tonic !!!! thanks for the laugh

Im simply replying regarding the problem you had with the judge, i'm showing you why your wrong and pointing out what you quoted was selectively edited and therefore deliberately disingenuous to help support your opinion.

Why are you shifting the goal posts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Are you criticising the judge without having read the judgement?

I'm no constitutional lawyer, but I'm fault sure the common good features in both the constitution and subsequent judgements.

It actually doesn't. Specifically because government can justify anything with "common good" and constitution is a highest level guarantee for your freedoms to limit what government can do. Additionally, one article of constitution doesn't restrict another article unless specifically stated in constitution i.e. "common good" cannot mean restricting your freedoms unless this is clearly stated in the constitution.

Are you criticising the judge without having read the judgement?

Right. It wasn't their only argument. Better now?

Im simply replying regarding the problem you had with the judge, i'm showing you why your wrong and pointing out what you quoted was selectively edited and therefore deliberately disingenuous to help support your opinion.

Why are you shifting the goal posts?

I diodn;t edit it - the journal did - I took full quote from them https://www.thejournal.ie/gemma-judicial-review-5097400-May2020/ Plus - i don;t shift anything. I justified my position in the first post. Judge cannot deprive any citizen of Ireland from challenging law restricting constitutional freedoms. His judgement was not about what is constitutional - he prevented that judgement for take place by denying judicial review. You may like to live in state where judge says that you are not expert therefore you have no rights - I don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

Additionally, one article of constitution doesn't restrict another article unless specifically stated in constitution i.e. "common good" cannot mean restricting your freedoms unless this is clearly stated in the constitution.

This is incorrect. The courts regularly engage in a balancing act between competing constitutional rights .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I diodn;t edit it - the journal did - I took full quote from them https://www.thejournal.ie/gemma-judicial-review-5097400-May2020/ Plus - i don;t shift anything. I justified my position in the first post. Judge cannot deprive any citizen of Ireland from challenging law restricting constitutional freedoms. His judgement was not about what is constitutional - he prevented that judgement for take place by denying judicial review. You may like to live in state where judge says that you are not expert therefore you have no rights - I don't.

Read the judgement, you might learn something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,601 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The transcript is a pretty hilarious read.

"Not only that Mr. Waters, every single word we speak in this courtroom is being recorded on the digital audio recording system..."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So yeah, what will the costs be ?

But its not the full quote, you saw something you liked and jumped on it cus it agreed with your opinion and now that youve been shown what you based your argument on is wrong you are refusing to admit that and are instead shifting the goal posts.

Read the full judgement and hearing transcript, they arent hard to find, and get back to us, also maybe learn a bit about how evidence and expert opinion works which you dont seem to understand either.

Is there any chance you consider yourself a freeman of the land? Because that would explain a lot about your apparent legal ignorance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Arghus wrote: »
    The transcript is a pretty hilarious read.

It always promised to be hilarious from the moment they said they'd both represent themselves and that they'd be presenting expert medical opinion on the issue. It was the one thing that was always going to make it worthwhile. And boy did they deliver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Have you read the rest of the judgment? This is one comment, he dismantles their argument, completely and throughly in the remainder of the document.

Judicial nonsense? The judge is fully entitled to give his view in a ruling. And he gives his opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Is there any chance you consider yourself a freeman of the land?

Asking the real questions here. He certainly has all the hallmarks. The incoherent gibberish about the constitution presented with total self assurance is an obvious tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I won't even start how many times during this pandemic expert changed their opinions (most recently schools appear to be safe, previously face masks, no expert was there to prevent pandemic or limit the damage before it was very late).

That's how expert research works. When new evidence emerges, opinions change.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So yeah, what will the costs be ?
    Whatever they end up at, they've saved themselves a small fortune by not employing competent legal representation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Whatever they end up at, they've saved themselves a small fortune by not employing competent legal representation.

9hyB.gif

walshb wrote: »
    Ok, so how many appeals can we expect from these two charlatans?

Depends on if they can find something else to complain about in the mean time, it's back to vaccines at the minute for gems, and if costs are awarded against them how much they can con out of the gullible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Gemma can put this slogan on her next election posters...

"Unsubstantiated opinions, speeches, rhetoric and bogus, absurd and offensive"

Advertisement