Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A/R/TIST IN THE SPOTLIGHT - Laineyfrecks

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

skyblue46 wrote: »
    K....eh...your day will come.... but stealing the limelight from E...Tut Tut... hahahaha

Oops, completely missed the point of this thread!!!!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

coogy wrote: »

Oops, completely missed the point of this thread!!!!

:rolleyes:

No worries K ;) and i never got to see your answers!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Great to see this revived... and an excellent choice to kick things off too. The poem was excellent - thanks for posting! Hopefully I'm not asking duplicate questions :)

1) How did you happen upon this little corner of the internet?

2) Where do you think you'd be as a runner if you hadn't discovered Boards?

3) Favourite Liverpool player of all time?

4) If you could never race again, would you still run?

5) Favourite TV show?

6) Best thing about running?

7) Worst thing about running?

I can confirm I do infact lick sweat, just not off the kerbs - I wouldn't stoop that low.
    As for being a dinner guest - thank you! I think many a beverage would be had at that dinner table!

Was really interesting to see your mental approach in races - me and you are very similar in that sense.

Hopefully I don't duplicate questions - let me know if I do.

1. How are you so fast!!

Just lucky I guess:pac:

2. Do you ever struggle with work/life/running balance? If so, any tips?

Yes a lot of the time. When I decided to run 6 days a week I had to pick the best option to fit in with family & work life. I decided to get up as early as possible & it was tough but was for the best! I think my family know how much I love running(not interested at all) but I think they know it's what I need to do therefore making life easier for them in the long run :D

3. If you could run through the wilderness, run by a lake/ocean, run on a mountain or run through a desert which would you choose?

Oh running through the wilderness sounds amazing!

4. Favourite post race treat?

Pint bottle of ice cold Bulmers Light with a glass of ice:cool:

5. Any specific long term goals other than improvement?

To keep running consistently!

6. If you could run any major marathon which would be your first choice

Berlin

7. You're about to get the electric chair (lol) - whats your last meal?

Jaysus wtf did I do:eek: Oh it would have to be a selection of tapas from Salamancas:D

8. If you could visit any place in the world (no restrictions) , where would it be and why?

It would have to be Greece! I have never been & I think it just looks so beautiful. I would go to the less popular/commercialized parts. Take in the history, the stunning views, the culture & of course a run or two... pure bliss:p

9. What has been the hardest part of the past few months for you in terms of the pandemic?

I think I miss normality whatever that may be? I miss the routines I have known my whole adult life. It's so hard not being able to hug my loved ones, I miss human contact. I'm finding motivation very hard at the moment especially the last week, not just with running but with everything! I'm finding it hard to keep reassuring my son & answering his questions when i'm not really sure what's going on myself.

10. Favourite sandwich?

Turkey breast, egg & onion mayo, lettuce all on wholegrain sourdough bread!

11. Do you think you'll ever stop being hard on yourself for not "nailing" sessions ( I blame your coach for not explaining to you that running is effort based and not pace based ;) )

As a very stubborn person 100% this is on me for being hard on myself! It is something I am working on;) S is forever telling me to concentrate on my form & effort & not to strain myself trying to hold a pace, bet he can't wait till the day I listen properly:D

Thanks a mill for the questions P, enjoyed answering them!

@Swashbuckler.. sweatlicker... grosse!

Great Choice to kick this off KSU. Is there anything left to ask :confused:

If you could have any super power, what would it be and what would you use if for? :P

God, em I think it would have to be super speed like The Flash

If you could use only one smiley from Boards limited few, which would it be and what does that say about your online persona? :o:p:):D

:D - because I like smiling!

What are the first 2 things you do every morning?

Put my running gear on & brush my teeth!

Celebrity deathmatch - OoNegative vs Skyblue46... who wins and why? :D

That could never happen because they lurve each other too much:D

Can you lift all your kids at once? And would you change your super power to this if you can't? :pac:

Haha no I can't and no I think I will stick to my chosen superpower above;)

What is your favourite section to run on your local everyday route?

I like running up through the complex at Citywest and recently have become quite fond of the Katharine Tynan road :D

When did you last laugh until your belly hurt? What did it? :)

A couple of weeks ago I played on line bingo loco with my 3 mates(2 from Scotland) we did a group chat, the bingo was crap but with the few drinks on us we really had some laughs! My stomach & mouth hurt from laughing at pure & utter sillyness!

Thank you for the entertainment so far :pac: did I use the appropriate amount of smilies?

Yes you really did! Appreciated

Thanks a mill for all the questions:D

• Advertisement

DeepBlue wrote: »

1. If, in some parallel universe, you could run your first marathon again then what would you do differently in the months of training leading up to it?

Not nearly die in Vegas would be top of my list:eek:
    Honestly I don't think I would change a whole lot...maybe listen a bit more at the start of my training!

2. What advice/suggestions would you give to someone half-thinking about taking up running but not sure if it is something they could do?

I really believe anyone can run. To what level is a different matter. I would fully encourage them to try it at their own pace, build up slowly, take the good with the bad & mostly don't give up:D

3. How is the sub-20 5K project going or where is it on the list of running priorities?

I had been training to give it a shot at Bob Heffernan but with racing gone it will just have to wait! With where I am at now, motivation, head-space etc I really feel I would need a race environment to give it a good go!

Cheers for the questions:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I was trying to think of questions on my run this morning that haven't been asked already...tis tough and sorry if I've repeated!

What do your children / OH think about your reasonably new-found passion for running?

Do you think your coach would take a different approach with your training if you were male? (Not trying to start anything controversial here, just curious if its comes into consideration given the biological differences)

Do you parkrun? If yes, which is your favourite one? If no, why not? :)

What time in any distance race would you happily retire on, having achieved it?

Do you read any poetry (given your writing) and if so, any recommendations?

Any tips for people who may struggle mentally in races :) ?

Do you do any supplementary work like S&C, pilates etc?

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Great to see this revived... and an excellent choice to kick things off too. The poem was excellent - thanks for posting! Hopefully I'm not asking duplicate questions :)

Thanks a mill A :)

1) How did you happen upon this little corner of the internet?

Pure fluke, I googled Marathon training plans & the rest is history:D

2) Where do you think you'd be as a runner if you hadn't discovered Boards?

I honestly don't think i'd be anywhere near where I am at now. I was originally going to follow the plan on the Marathon FB page, therefore would probably still have ran at way too fast paces (sorry for taking so long to slow down:rolleyes:) & could have possibly not made it to the start line:eek:

3) Favourite Liverpool player of all time?

Steven Gerrard. I love that he was a grassroots player who started training in the Liverpool Academy at the age of 9 & worked his way up. To me he was the heart of LFC & he played with great heart & determination.

4) If you could never race again, would you still run?

Yes I would, before racing I ran to keep fit & for my mental health so I will continue to do so as long as I can.

5) Favourite TV show?

I don't usually watch a lot of TV, but it would have to be Casualty, been watching it for years & never miss it:D

6) Best thing about running?

There are lots of things I love. The feeling of satisfaction after going out for a run on a cold wet morning at 6am while everyone else sleeps. The feeling of getting a session spot on! The feeling of running somewhere I love especially if the weather is good & with good company. And absolutely nothing beats the feeling of getting a PB in a race after training your ass off in the sh!tiest of weather:D

7) Worst thing about running?

Probably the opposite of above. Not hitting sessions, having a really bad race but mostly the fear of getting injured!

Thanks a mill for the questions A, enjoyed answering them:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭MY BAD

And absolutely nothing beats the feeling of getting a PB in a race after training your ass off in the sh!tiest of weather
    Do you mind listing off your PBs?

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I was trying to think of questions on my run this morning that haven't been asked already...tis tough and sorry if I've repeated!

What do your children / OH think about your reasonably new-found passion for running?

I think they honestly thought it was a fad, I ramped up my training for the marathon so there was lots of, oh are you going running again?, and I think they thought once I did the marathon that would be it! So when I started training 6 days a week there were a few teething issues but it was sorted very early on. They are very proud of me & tell me that they admire how determined I am, but they don't really have any interest so I try keep running talk for on here.:D

Do you think your coach would take a different approach with your training if you were male? (Not trying to start anything controversial here, just curious if its comes into consideration given the biological differences)

To be honest I don't really know, think that would have to be a question for my Advisor(as he likes to be known) :pac:

Do you parkrun? If yes, which is your favourite one? If no, why not? :)

No I don't anymore at all! I used to do Tymon Park years ago, not sure why I stopped really?

What time in any distance race would you happily retire on, having achieved it?

I think i'd be very happy to retire with a sub 3hour Marathon ;)

Do you read any poetry (given your writing) and if so, any recommendations?

Yes I do, I love Irish poetry. Some of my favourites would be Seamus Heaney, W.B Yeats & Patrick Kavanagh. If I could recommend one poem to read it would be Mid Term Break by Seamus Heaney. I was taught this poem back in school & it's one that always stuck in my mind. I still can't read it without feeling emotional. It actually inspired me to write a short story years ago. I love how poetry can make me feel & think, there are so many meanings you can take from certain poems!

Any tips for people who may struggle mentally in races :) ?

Just from my own experience i'd say break it up, bit by bit so you don't feel over whelmed by the whole race! If I have a 5k race, after 1k I like to think yes 1k down, that went well only 4 more to go instead of crap only 1k down. I'm not saying it will always work but it has helped me. I think you also need to prepare yourself to feel some pain but to tell yourself this is only temporary, basically talk to yourself the whole way around.

Do you do any supplementary work like S&C, pilates etc?

No I don't but it is something I have been thinking about recently so might just start something!

Cheers for the questions:D

As you asked about the poetry i'm gonna stick up this poem that I wrote after my friend/neighbor passed. I was with his young wife from when he was taken home on the Wednesday to when he was buried on the Saturday & this was how I observed what she was going through...

Knock, knock, come in, Tea, coffee, a sandwich?
    The sound of general chit chat as the room fills quickly
    I'm so sorry for your loss echoes again & again
    What do I say? Why won't the words come out?
    I have gone over this in my head for what seems like forever...
    What can I say? Thank you, means a lot, what else is there?

My eyes are glazed over, red raw from crying,
    With each tear that falls, another piece of my heart breaks!
    Can I run? Can I scream?
    Someone please wake me from this nightmare,
    My head hangs low, limp like a rag doll, please no eye contact
    Help me, help me, somebody, anybody!

No one can hear my cries, my voice is weak,
    The aching, the agony, the numbness takes control of a body that once was mine,
    My heart is shattered, aching just to have him back
    The pain is physical too, I can feel it more intensely with every breath
    I panic, I can't breathe, please don't touch him.
    I love him, he's mine, oh God the pain,
    The heartbreak is consuming my soul...

Someone take me away, I really want to scream & run,
    I just need him here again with me...
    Step after step, breath after breath,
    It just gets harder & harder
    My energy, my feelings, my heart so low
    How did this happen, how is it fair?

Sleep is needed, I can't go on
    I close my eyes, your face appears
    Oh God that smile, that laugh, this can't be real...
    Listen it's your song,
    I sob uncontrollably, the tears come streaming down my face,
    I can't breathe, help I'm suffocating
    I fall to my knees,
    Why? Please God tell me why?

It feels like I'm drowning in this sea of emotion,
    I need to see you again,
    I close my eyes tightly, my heart is pounding, it feels like it's going to come out of my chest,
    I reach out & for a moment you are here,
    The memories are real here, you are real here,
    I want to stay here with you, never open my eyes,
    For in my heart & mind
    You will forever be entwined...

• Advertisement

Do you mind listing off your PBs?

5KM - My offical race time would be 21:29 from Tallaght back in 2019 - not sure if they count officially I ran 21:18 in Hartstown parkrun on a very, very windy day then my 5km time during Raheny 5M was 20:53.

10KM - 44:27 - Enniscorthy 10km 2020

5Mile - 34:13 - Raheny 2020

10Mile - 1:22 - Frank Duffy 2019 - The only 10mile race I've ever done.

Half Marathon - 1:35 - Bohermeen 2020

Full Marathon - 3:42 - DCM 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Thanks a mill for the questions A, enjoyed answering them:D

Great answers E, thanks for taking the time! Cheers for the Mid Term Break reminder too - did it in school myself but hadn't thought about it in 20 years. Great poem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Hi Laineyfrecks, if i'm too late to the party feel free to ignore. What interests me a lot about other runners is how they deal with injuries, rehab etc. DO you have any ongoing niggles? Do you do any supplementary strength work etc to help prevent them?

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Hi Laineyfrecks, if i'm too late to the party feel free to ignore. What interests me a lot about other runners is how they deal with injuries, rehab etc. DO you have any ongoing niggles? Do you do any supplementary strength work etc to help prevent them?

Not late at all! I think I have been extremely lucky up to now to not have had any running niggles/injuries. I don't currently do any supplementary strength work but I was doing up to 6 classes a week in Kickstart including HIIT, weights, S & C & TRX for a few years before I started running. Also I keep my easy days easy when running sp I presume this helps me too:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Thanks for the Spotlight, E - very enlightening!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Murph_D wrote: »
    Thanks for the Spotlight, E - very enlightening!

Is this where E gets to twist the arm of the next unsuspecting victim?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

I'm only after spotting this thread now and i have nothing new to ask. Great stuff E, especially the poem posts.

Advertisement