Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending WIFI to garden

• 15-04-2020 9:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

Any one got any good suggestions to boost the WiFi signal to the garden?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Any one got any good suggestions to boost the WiFi signal to the garden?

Cheers

Ubiquiti external access point.

Either that, or depending on the size of your garddmenz and internal one placed correctly would do it either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Cat5 from router to garden or kitchen second modem in ap mode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Are the TP Links ones any good, if I had it plugged into a socket in garden shed?

TP-Link RE300 AC1200 Mesh Wi-Fi Range Extender/Wi-Fi Booster/Wi-Fi Repeater(Up to 1200 Mbps), 2 Internal Antennas, Intelligent Signal Light, Power Schedule, LED Control, Tether APP, UK Plug https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RB743K8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_92aMEbX5YX3T5

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Are the TP Links ones any good, if I had it plugged into a socket in garden shed?

TP-Link RE300 AC1200 Mesh Wi-Fi Range Extender/Wi-Fi Booster/Wi-Fi Repeater(Up to 1200 Mbps), 2 Internal Antennas, Intelligent Signal Light, Power Schedule, LED Control, Tether APP, UK Plug https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RB743K8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_92aMEbX5YX3T5

Theses are good and will probably do what you need in a small garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I have a similar one, the TP-Link AC750 Wi-Fi Range Extender. Our modem is in the upstairs front of the house so the kitchen was a bit of a blind spot, I put the extender in the kitchen and it extends out to our back-garden too (small enough garden though).

Not sure if it would work being plugged in your garden shed, as your signal needs to be able to reach it. Maybe the closest socket to your back-garden within the house may be a better option.

• Advertisement

So these make another wifi network or extend your current one ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

So these make another wifi network or extend your current one ?

I bought something similar in the past and had to return it. It created a new network even though it shared the wifi, name & password with the exting wifi network... it meant that when you went beyond the existing network, you got coverage... however, it didn't allow you to extend the current network, so smart home devices like bulbs or speakers could not communicate...

Therefore it was useless to me.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I bought something similar in the past and had to return it. It created a new network even though it shared the wifi, name & password with the exting wifi network... it meant that when you went beyond the existing network, you got coverage... however, it didn't allow you to extend the current network, so smart home devices like bulbs or speakers could not communicate...

Good point I want the network extended so that Hue lights and smart speakers etc work in the garden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭dam099

Bluefoam wrote: »

That sounds like the original router and the mesh system may both have been doing DHCP and giving devices IP addresses in different subnets. It should be posssible to set it up so only one of them is giving out IP addresses and resolve that issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

Anyone used a good mesh system

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I got the belkin plug for my dads house so his WiFi extended from the front room to the garden shed where he has the garden lights plugged into a sonoff WiFi plug.

Works perfectly, increases the existing WiFi network, so no new network names or passwords etc.

I then went and got myself one to boost signal to my own attic for the kids PS4 and Switch etc

Got them on adverts for €10 each.

Gumbo wrote: »
    I got the belkin plug for my dads house so his WiFi extended from the front room to the garden shed where he has the garden lights plugged into a sonoff WiFi plug.

Works perfectly, increases the existing WiFi network, so no new network names or passwords etc.

I then went and got myself one to boost signal to my own attic for the kids PS4 and Switch etc

Got them on adverts for €10 each.
    Would you have a link to the ones you got?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Would you have a link to the ones you got?

https://www.adverts.ie/20047231

I bought from 2 different sellers so obviously, check the seller etc
    This is one for sale on adverts currently.

I have one on my middle floor landing to send up to the attic and if we’re out the back, I just unplug and plug into the kitchen socket. It remembers connection etc and it’s a seamless process. Very handy and neat in my opinion.

Advertisement