Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any barbers open?

Options
  • 15-04-2020 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭

I know it's a pandemic, but seeing as Off Licences are considered "essential" (lol) surely it is essential that barbers can open. It is a basic human need to keep the hair on one's head tidy.

Can't see anything wrong with one customer in shop at a time, barber has mask on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Asus X540L wrote: »
    I know it's a pandemic, but seeing as Off Licences are considered "essential" (lol) surely it is essential that barbers can open. It is a basic human need to keep the hair on one's head tidy.

Can't see anything wrong with one customer in shop at a time, barber has mask on.

Definitely not essential and would be a massive risk as physical contant required etc.

Just do it yourself...no ones gonna see ya or care anyway.

https://twitter.com/ladbible/status/1250114093232672769

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Ludo wrote: »
    Definitely not essential and would be a massive risk as physical contant required etc.

Just do it yourself...no ones gonna see ya or care anyway.

https://twitter.com/ladbible/status/1250114093232672769

Wow who would have thought that The "Miley" look would come back.

5c80adcfe8eed3d3da42bdc29dc400fd_400x400.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Ludo wrote: »
    Definitely not essential ]

It's definitely more essential than a naggin of Huzzar m8.

Some of us still work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

I read somewhere once that hair is the single most useless stuff on the human body but we spend more on it than everything else combined...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

It's definitely more essential than a naggin of Huzzar m8.

Some of us still work

No point in comparing unrelated things. Examine it on it's own merits.
    Not essential due to risk to all involved (barber and customers) and as a result risk to the greater population by unnecessarily spreading virus. Yes some of us do indeed still work. Myself included. Buy a trimmer or something on Amazon or chemist and do a tidy up if needed. No big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

No barber shops are open in Cork.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

F*ck the health of the barber, OP needs a haircut. He has a job you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Barbers and hair salons are so high risk that the Hairdressing Federation of Ireland publicly asked the government to shut any still open. They asked this "before" the full lock down.

buy a trimmer and consult youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

I was getting annoyingly scraggly so I got out my beard trimmer, removed the plastic bit, and gave myself a number 0. Still have the beard so I’m a little like Walter White now. My colleagues make a comment first time they meet with me on a conf call but nobody cares. Everyone is just happy to have a job and be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Cut my own via YouTube and a good barbers razor. I won’t be winning any best of awards but at the same time no one has given me any odd looks either. Done a razor bit of fade sides and back and scissors on top. Take your time and 2 mirrors and the iPad with YouTube on it and away you go. Took me the guts of an hours... start with a blade 4 or so and slowly lower the blades as you get comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 25,471 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d say there are many worried barbers right now... going to be loosing a shît load in revenue and given that most of us will perfect our own DIY cuts in time now, might be 20% of people going CIY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Hair's so 2019...

(I totally did not do a bad DIY hair cut and then decide to shave it off)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

Strumms wrote: »
    I’d say there are many worried barbers right now... going to be loosing a shît load in revenue and given that most of us will perfect our own DIY cuts in time now, might be 20% of people going CIY.

And another 20% going CSNY.

https://youtu.be/AVsbqVJLFow

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's a pandemic, nobody cares what your hair looks like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Hard to cut someone's hair while 2 metres away I would have thought?
    Cant believe the question was even asked

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

The morticians are still doing hair, nails and make up if you do feel like venturing out!
    Stay the fcuk at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭touts

There's a barbers in Clonmel (not too far from the Garda station) supposedly doing haircuts if you phone them and arrange to go in a back door. I'm sure they aren't the only ones in the country. There are always some lads who think as long as the hair and beard are nearly trimmed nothing and no one else matters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

I remember back in the 90's, listening to Radio Friendly 104.6 FM and they used to give a big shout out to all the staff in Bladez in Cork...

Those warm spring afternoons, walking by the courthouse into Blades for a haircut on Sheares Street...

Two bird's with one stone, getting sheared on Sheares Street in Bladez..

It's not the hair that makes the man, but it's the man that makes the hair...

Always wanted to let it grow out a bit, it's actually not bad either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I wonder how hairdressers & barbers will be able to work in the months to come. We know social distancing will be with us for some time, and it will be hard for them to work with that in mind. Interesting!

Separately, the barder I go to has said he will be closed through till start of June - he's decided there's no point saying he's reopening in May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭sporina

ekkkk... Ok I would explain the cross infection risks involved in a barbers but it would take too long..

But here is what we did - Maybe you could do something similar..

Bro bought a clipper set - it has a trimmer - the works..

I watched a few vids on youtube and hey vola = I didn't do a bad job..

His colleagues even asked him "hey where did you get your hair cut?" lol..

So get yourself some clippers, scissors - what ever - consult some tutorials on youtube and off you go - you could do it yourself or get a house mate or who ever to do it (if you live with someone)

Best of luck and maybe educate yourself a little on infection control (no offence).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

its grand saying cut your own hair if you have a head shaver but these things are as rare as a bottle of dettol- have been trying to get one on amazon all sold out except crap ones with poor reviews or ones that cost a fortune

mean gene wrote: »
    its grand saying cut your own hair if you have a head shaver but these things are as rare as a bottle of dettol- have been trying to get one on amazon all sold out except crap ones with poor reviews or ones that cost a fortune

Bro got his Remington Clipper set in Tesco last weekend €30:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

sporina wrote: »
    Bro got his Remington Clipper set in Tesco last weekend €30:)
    Are you cutting it yourself or have someone at home to do it? I need a shave myself and have a clippers but usually have a friend come over to do it. Surely shaving the back is too hard no?

Are you cutting it yourself or have someone at home to do it? I need a shave myself and have a clippers but usually have a friend come over to do it. Surely shaving the back is too hard no?

I did it for him - not sure what you mean by "shave" - I didn't give him a no 1 like...

On the back and sides I used the clipper with different guards... 4 - 3 - 2..
    Then for the top i used the clipper with no guards and comb as a guide - that was quite a learning curve,,, (was not confident enough to use scissors as he is thin on top)

Then used the trimmer for the edges and his ears and neck lol...

I have before and after pics but can't attach them here - confidentiality etc..

Won't leave it so long before doing it again - gee he had some mop on him - had started to get curly - no wonder it was driving him mad..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

sporina wrote: »
    I did it for him - not sure what you mean by "shave" - I didn't give him a no 1 like...

On the back and sides I used the clipper with different guards... 4 - 3 - 2..
    Then for the top i used the clipper with no guards and comb as a guide - that was quite a learning curve,,, (was not confident enough to use scissors as he is thin on top)

Then used the trimmer for the edges and his ears and neck lol...

I have before and after pics but can't attach them here - confidentiality etc..

Won't leave it so long before doing it again - gee he had some mop on him - had started to get curly - no wonder it was driving him mad..
    I normally get a number 1 all over but not too fussed. A 2 or 3 will do. Just not too confident doing the back.

I normally get a number 1 all over but not too fussed. A 2 or 3 will do. Just not too confident doing the back.

check out some vids on youtube - lots there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If you are going for the same length all over, it's incredibly easy to do yourself. Just keep going over it until it's all done - no shaping or edging to be done.

In fact, if you get a number 1 all over, why have you been paying someone to do this for you up until now ? It takes no skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I wonder how hairdressers & barbers will be able to work in the months to come. We know social distancing will be with us for some time, and it will be hard for them to work with that in mind. Interesting!

Separately, the barder I go to has said he will be closed through till start of June - he's decided there's no point saying he's reopening in May.

I think he is probably being optimistic saying June, they will be one of the last things left open, September is more realistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

If you are going for the same length all over, it's incredibly easy to do yourself. Just keep going over it until it's all done - no shaping or edging to be done.

In fact, if you get a number 1 all over, why have you been paying someone to do this for you up until now ? It takes no skill.

Agree with this. Gave myself a 1 all over for years in college. Easily done in less than 5 minutes.

Advertisement