Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garden fence screening 8/9 foot tall - have 4 foot wall in back garden

Options
  • 15-04-2020 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi All ,
    ostrange one but maybe somene can assist

have 4 foot wall in back garden but require some fencing the can maybe put on top of this wall so maybe 4 /5 foot just cant find anything that could provide that .

also would this be fine to do or do i need to ask the permission of neighbours / any legislation against

Comments

mkdon wrote: »
    Hi All ,

have 4 foot wall in back garden but require some fencing the can maybe put on top of this wall so maybe 4 /5 foot just cant find anything that could provide that .

also would this be fine to do or do i need to ask the permission of neighbours / any legislation against

I have seen it done with nice composite fencing sitting on top of the original wall to bring it up to six feet.

However, you need to be very careful doing this as placing fencing on top puts added strain on the wall in windy weather as the fence acts like a sail.

Check the integrity of the wall you have already. For example, I would make sure it has a decent foundation and would not put a fence on top of a block on edge wall as you can be sure in a few years it will start buckling or worse again collapse. Make sure there is sufficient support in the form of piers and supports.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Any fence or wall over 2m total height requires planning permission.

Growing things, however, do not.

So maybe consider growing something you can train to grow up and above the fence or trellis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Willow, will grow 6 ft in a, year and can be trained into a, trellis.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Samson1

Lumen wrote: »
    Any fence or wall over 2m total height requires planning permission.

Growing things, however, do not.

So maybe consider growing something you can train to grow up and above the fence or trellis.

Yes, and growing things should require planning permission also. Especially in a small back gardens / housing estate setting. It is common to have ridiculous size trees / leylandia hedges planted in small back gardens without any consideration given to the height they may grow.

On the point raised, 6 foot / 2 metres should be a high enough wall hedge if there are neighbours nearby, if not then there is no-one to object?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Samson1 wrote: »
    Yes, and growing things should require planning permission also. Especially in a small back gardens / housing estate setting. It is common to have ridiculous size trees / leylandia hedges planted in small back gardens without any consideration given to the height they may grow.
    Yes, those trellis grown lleylandii are a real nuisance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

My back garden wall is 5 feet high- I'd like to raise it by about a foot, for privacy.

Should it be simple enough just to add a row of bricks, to raise the wall, or would fencing be the best bet? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

mkdon wrote: »
    Hi All ,

Don't forget to pencil in the watchtowers

Advertisement