Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ram Expansion - Adding 2 x 8gb to 2 x 4gb

Options
  • 16-04-2020 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to add some extra Ram to my PC. It's an i5-7600k on a z170 board with 2 x 4gb Ballistix DDR4-2400 it has had since I built it.

Given the price of RAM these days I can add 2x8gb sticks of the same brand and speed RAM for €15 more than the price of an extra 2 x 4gb pair, but would this work properly?

You rarely hear of anyone with 24gb RAM... Worst case scenario I just sell the original 2 x 4gb pair and stick with the 16gb but I'm curious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

In tandem with the existing 2 x 4gb? Cool, good to know. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

been thinking myself similar recently, as only difference once you have same speeds is capacity, as most motherboards run dual channel meaning 2 sticks in same slots, theoretically you would have less storage on other lane, but if we account that ram is accessible as single lane to read write then this should present no issues.

Advertisement