Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bamboo to act as screening

Options
  • 16-04-2020 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

I'm looking to get some bamboo for the decking at the back of the garden to act as a screen from neighboring houses.

I'm thinking about phyllo aurea, would this be a good choice? Id rather keep them in pots, how big a pot would I need to grow them to around 10ft?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That is a running bamboo so you will need to keep them in containers, in the ground they will take over.

Not sure about pot size. Usually the smaller the pot the more effort to keep them alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Heiser

Lumen wrote: »
    That is a running bamboo so you will need to keep them in containers, in the ground they will take over.

Not sure about pot size. Usually the smaller the pot the more effort to keep them alive.

Ye I'll be keeping them in pots, there's no soil where I'm putting them and I hear they are a nightmare if let grow in the soil.

Most of them come on 5-10 litre pots, anyone know if would they get to 3-4 metres on say a 60litre pot?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If it's for a screen you might be better off with a trough planter than individual pots.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Would you consider willow. Much easier to manage.
    I planted 180 stems last month as a wind barrier.

Its for a small decking area at the back of a relatively small garden. Bamboo in a container is surely less hassle than planting a Willow in this circumstance

• Advertisement

Heiser wrote: »
    Its for a small decking area at the back of a relatively small garden. Bamboo in a container is surely less hassle than planting a Willow in this circumstance

Probably. I had seen some nice woven willow hedges that could be maintained easily.
    That's what I'm aiming for. Plant the stems in a v pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Willow have desperately invasive roots and can’t be planted near any foundations or drains.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭jtown

Heiser wrote: »
    I'm looking to get some bamboo for the decking at the back of the garden to act as a screen from neighboring houses.

I'm thinking about phyllo aurea, would this be a good choice? Id rather keep them in pots, how big a pot would I need to grow them to around 10ft?

Very interested in this also...

jtown wrote: »
    Very interested in this also...

https://lewisbamboo.com/bamboo-plant-sizes/

This is the best info I can find so far

_Brian wrote: »
    Willow have desperately invasive roots and can’t be planted near any foundations or drains.

Never knew that! Mines in the field so it's not a concern for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement