Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating a Table using HTML

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I would highly recommend this website for learning old/new stuff.

What you need is explained on this page. In particular, see the sections titled "Cells that Span Many Columns" (for the Record and Total cells) and "Cells that Span Many Rows" (for the Team, From and To cells).

You need to think of the table as having 4 rows and 8 columns, with some cells spanning multiple columns or multiple rows.

Spoiler: https://pastebin.com/ybyr8Y3S

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Isn't it possible to save a word document as HTML

Create table in Word doc, save as HTML file and then open file in notepad to get the code.

Some browsers also have an option to view source code so use that while the page with the specified table is displayed.

Or else just download the page as HTML and the code will be within the saved file.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Isn't it possible to save a word document as HTML

Create table in Word doc, save as HTML file and then open file in notepad to get the code.

Some browsers also have an option to view source code so use that while the page with the specified table is displayed.

Thats a thoroughly painful way of doing it because Word adds in a load of extra tags that you don't need. OP, HTML is so so easy, just learn how to do it natively.

To demonstrate this opinion, I just created a word document which displays "hello world", saved it as html and opened in notepad. The file was 38KB in size and the resulting HTML was 756 lines long.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Thats a thoroughly painful way of doing it because Word adds in a load of extra tags that you don't need. OP, HTML is so so easy, just learn how to do it natively.

To demonstrate this opinion, I just created a word document which displays "hello world", saved it as html and opened in notepad. The file was 38KB in size and the resulting HTML was 756 lines long.

Just to expand on this, you need to save it as Web-Page, Filtered.
    This will reduce the size of the generated html by removing all the unnecessary tags.
    I just did your example above and it came in at 953bytes and 49 lines - most of which was styling.

That said, OP, just learn the html to do it, it's really not that difficult.
    Just right-click on the table in Wikipedia and click Inspect Element which will display the html for the table.

Advertisement