Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New crime trends

Options
  • 16-04-2020 8:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all. Just wondering if our current environment has thrown up anything new?

Any crime trends resurfacing?

I've noticed an increase in patrols of skip watchers,

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I read somewhere that there is a big drop in home burglaries, but an increase on burglaries on empty business. Not very surprising.

Unfortunately I also read that domestic abuse calls are up. And obviously the Gardai would be quiet busy telling people to go home.

I can't find the Irish articles now, but in the UK, they saw a big drop in burglaries and violent crime, I'd suspect it would be similar numbers here:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/04/07/violent-crime-falls-40-per-cent-coronavirus-lockdown/

Oh and there have been quiet a bit of activity around scams related to Coronavirus. One nasty one I say in the UK again, was people calling to peoples homes claiming to be health officials carrying out testing and then robbing people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I think the increased amount of skips has attracted additional attention.

I saw the UK posted a 20 percent reduction in crime

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Nothing major at the moment.
    We have a lot of commercial , industrial & corporate building empty without any issues.
    Seeing a steady rise in premises being boarded up now though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Nothing major at the moment.
    We have a lot of commercial , industrial & corporate building empty without any issues.
    Seeing a steady rise in premises being boarded up now though.

I think the public co operation is going to wain very soon & that's when the disorder will start.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭mike_2009

Last 6 months we've had two groups targeting cars in Lucan - checking handles to see if they are unlocked. Last crew went through our estate this morning 01:26 and returned on their merry way home 02:43 so they were at it for over an hour. They scouted the estate at 4am two nights previous at 04:33 pointing out CCTV and making sure they didn't face them when they returned. First group - 1 male, second 1 male & 1 female. Make sure you car doors are locked....!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Seemingly last Friday, there wasn't a single Burglary in Dublin, first time ever:

https://www.irishpost.com/news/no-burglaries-reported-dublin-first-time-ever-due-coronavirus-restrictions-184073

And crime in general is down.

However there was a recent article about general trends last year, that shows burglary up in West Dublin:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/sharp-increase-in-break-ins-across-parts-of-dublin-and-hinterland-1.4229904

Though the same article points out that the rate of burglary is at it lowest in 20 years last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Everlong1

mike_2009 wrote: »
    Last 6 months we've had two groups targeting cars in Lucan - checking handles to see if they are unlocked. Last crew went through our estate this morning 01:26 and returned on their merry way home 02:43 so they were at it for over an hour. They scouted the estate at 4am two nights previous at 04:33 pointing out CCTV and making sure they didn't face them when they returned. First group - 1 male, second 1 male & 1 female. Make sure you car doors are locked....!

What you need there of course is a welcoming committee of residents with baseball bats or similar implements. If these scumbags are that predictable it shouldn't be that hard to catch them in the act if you had a rota of neighbours willing to take turns staying up at night and keeping watch.

Advertisement