Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vodafone broadband - LAN limited to 100Mbps??

• 16-04-2020 10:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

An hour ago vodafone restarted my home router. Since the restart LAN port is 100Mbps instead of 1000Mbps, so effectively they imposed speed limit. The external speed is still 1000Mbps. Can someone verify it please?

It's in "Status&Support->General information" of the roures page.

Disconnect/reconnect didn't help. The other side is a high class router (turris omnia).
    lan_speed_limit.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

PrzemoF wrote: »
    An hour ago vodafone restarted my home router. Since the restart LAN port is 100Mbps instead of 1000Mbps, so effectively they imposed speed limit. The external speed is still 1000Mbps. Can someone verify it please?

what did vodafone say when you called them about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

It's in "Status&Support->General information" of the roures page.

Disconnect/reconnect didn't help. The other side is a high class router (turris omnia).
    lan_speed_limit.png

U sure the cable is OK? Bad ether net cble can cause it to drop to 100. Try different port?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

what did vodafone say when you called them about it?
    I'm trying to do it right now. no luck so far.

U sure the cable is OK? Bad ether net cble can cause it to drop to 100. Try different port?
    It was OK for a last year. I'll connect another 1GB device on another cable in a few minutes to see if it makes any difference. I really hope it's just a software glitch not a speed limit.

It has to be something else - I have expected speed on a short cable connected directly to the vodafone router. Case closed.

Edit: router restart fixed it. Lesson learned: disconnecting LAN cable doesn't always mean resetting connection parameters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

It has to be something else - I have expected speed on a short cable connected directly to the vodafone router. Case closed.
    You looking at link speed, not capability.
    If you plug in device that is only capable(or purposely configured) to run 10 Mbps your picture would change accordingly.
    Check device you connecting, cable you using, cable properly plugged in - these are the factors that define link speed in this case. If you using 100Mbps only switch this would be result.

smuggler.ie, thanks for the info! Yes, my downstream device is a gigabit device - it's Turris Omnia [1] and it was linked with 1000Mbps speed for months. What surprised me that after vodafone (gate) router reboot the link was established at 100Mbps. I had speed test results from March and it was OK, but today the link was hitting the 100Mbps limit.
    Date and Time Download [Mb/s] Upload [Mb/s]  Ping [ms]  
    2020-04-16 10:43:49 	170.00 	190.00 	43.00 	  <-- after downstream router restart
    2020-04-16 09:36:13 	92.00 	93.00 	43.00 	  <-- after LAN line reconnect, no change
    2020-03-05 07:20:05 	440.00 	180.00 	51.00 	  
    2020-03-01 07:51:42 	340.00 	120.00 	48.00

Anyway, it's all Ok now and I learned something noew :-)

[1] https://www.turris.cz/en/omnia/specifications/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

smuggler.ie, thanks for the info! Yes, my downstream device is a gigabit device - it's Turris Omnia [1] and it was linked with 1000Mbps speed for months. What surprised me that after vodafone (gate) router reboot the link was established at 100Mbps. I had speed test results from March and it was OK, but today the link was hitting the 100Mbps limit.
    Date and Time Download [Mb/s] Upload [Mb/s]  Ping [ms]  
    2020-04-16 10:43:49     170.00     190.00     43.00       <-- after downstream router restart
    2020-04-16 09:36:13     92.00     93.00     43.00       <-- after LAN line reconnect, no change
    2020-03-05 07:20:05     440.00     180.00     51.00       
    2020-03-01 07:51:42     340.00     120.00     48.00

Anyway, it's all Ok now and I learned something noew :-)

[1] https://www.turris.cz/en/omnia/specifications/
    Router failed to negotiate link speed with client, perhaps...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

I'm trying to do it right now. no luck so far.

Get onto VF Twitter they're obliged to answer,I just got a message back from them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

An hour ago vodafone restarted my home router.

Sounds like they may have updated it, that could explain the switchport getting stuck in a strange state.

• Advertisement
Advertisement