Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recessed Generator Change Over Switch

Options
  • 16-04-2020 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I am installing an 80A generator changeover switch in a domestic 12 kVA installation beside the main CU / DB, I won’t go into the switched or unswitched neutral debate as I see it’s covered in a separate thread. I looked at the option of installing in the garage but decided against this due to volt drop. The associated meter tails are already 25 Sq SWA and the garage feeder is 16 Sq SWA . I have a polycarbonate surface mounted changeover switch with top entry knock outs. Its dimensions are approx. 140mm wide x 160mm high x 90mm deep. I am thinking of recessing the enclosure approx. 60 mm into a 100mm block wall to facilitate plastering over the associated top entry SWA’s and concealing depth of the enclosure, the remaining 30mm would be visible on the surface. My main reason for this approach is aesthetics (I’m a bit particular). I would double nut the SWA glands inside the enclosure to ensure good connection of the Banjo’s to the gland, as the enclosure is not steel.

Any thoughts or issues with this approach?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

A few thoughts:

1) The dimensions of the enclosure are small for cables of that size. This will make it difficult. Double nutting the glands will be challenging within this space. I would recommend obtaining a switch with a far larger enclosure.

2) The enclosure should be mounted directly to a flat surface, if not it will distort when you tighten the fixings. This could lead to all sorts of issues. I would be reluctant to recess the enclosure in the way described.

The way I would cable this (as per ET210):
    • ESB supply to change over switch.
    • Generator supply to change over switch.
    • Change over switch to main DB.

The way I would terminate this (phase neutral & earth) would be as per ET210, as such installing neutral & earth bars in the change over switch would simply things greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

I fitted mine inside the ESB meter box. The ESB where changing out the meter as the old one died. I asked him and he said there would be no problem with it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Umiq88 wrote: »
    I fitted mine inside the ESB meter box. The ESB where changing out the meter as the old one died. I asked him and he said there would be no problem with it.

I don’t doubt you, but that is not permitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Pentrep

Thanks good practicle info. Am I correct in Saying it is not permitted to put a press over the CU within ET101 but it is within IS 10101? If so, is this also applicable to the changeover switch?

2011 wrote: »
    I don’t doubt you, but that is not permitted.

What about 0.5m below the meter box? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement