Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPU upgrade?

Options
  • 16-04-2020 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

Just got a flight refund on a holiday i had planned that the human malware has postponed indefinitely.

Gonna use the flight money to upgrade my GPU instead.

Including selling my old GPU I have 500-550ish in I'm willing to spend.

Currently rocking a 1070, would want a significant upgrade.

Will be paired with an R5 3600 and 16gb 3200mhz DDR4 and an NVMe drive on a decent B450 board playing on a 27" Samsung 1440p 140hz monitor so the only thing really worth upgrading is the GPU right now.

From provisional browsing the 5700xt seems the best bang for the buck for 1440p gaming right now without going all out on a 2080 super or above?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Rumour is the 3000 series is coming at some point over the Summer. No specifics yet.
    That's likely to be another 900 -> 1000 series jump.

Just throwing that out there as the waiting option. I'm stick rocking a 1070 myself because the current generation is a little meh.
    That said, the 5700 XT is definitely the best bang/buck at the mo, so if I were upgrading, it would be that.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Serephucus wrote: »
    Rumour is the 3000 series is coming at some point over the Summer. No specifics yet.
    That's likely to be another 900 -> 1000 series jump.

Just throwing that out there as the waiting option. I'm stick rocking a 1070 myself because the current generation is a little meh.
    That said, the 5700 XT is definitely the best bang/buck at the mo, so if I were upgrading, it would be that.

Yeah I'm definitely in two minds about waiting but it's sounding like the 3000 series are going to be delayed a bit?

But at the same time if the 3060 drops and it's an absolute monster for the same price as the 5700xt I'd be a bit sick for not waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

It's a tricky one. NVIDIA know the main detractor from the 2000 series was the price, so they may well correct that with the 3000 series.
    On the other hand, it's NVIDIA: If could charge you your first born for a GPU and get away with it, they would.

You're probably looking at 3-6 months before it drops. It sounds like it's launching in the Summer, but maybe not on shelves until August or September. Hard to say with Corona.

Is 3-6 months too long to wait for something we don't know performance or pricing on?
    Is a 25% increase in performance worth €400 now?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

TBH I'd recommend looking at the RTX 2060 Super over RX 5700 XT now.

Essentially same performance when overclocked.

You'd pay more for a worse card because it gets close when overclocking?

That seems a bit weird to me?

• Advertisement

You'd pay more for a worse card because it gets close when overclocking?

That seems a bit weird to me?

It's not worse - they're equal.

Really just a matter of "do you want to try ray-tracing / will your games support DLSS?"

If nothing else, if you want to play the rather good Control, Nvidia is the way to go.

However, you're right in that AMD offer better value - the Sapphire Pulse & PowerColor Red Devil are good XT models.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Really just a matter of "do you want to try ray-tracing / will your games support DLSS?"

If nothing else, if you want to play the rather good Control, Nvidia is the way to go.

However, you're right in that AMD offer better value - the Sapphire Pulse & PowerColor Red Devil are good XT models.

No real interest in RT at the minute and need to have a look at DLSS 2.0 before commenting on that particular tech but wasn't impressed with the first version.

I was really hoping the 2070 would drop significantly in price to be competitive with the 5700xt as I'd actually prefer an Nvidia card for things like driver stability, noise/temp levels, and they tend to have more and better looking options when compared to AMD. Alas. It hasn't happened yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

No real interest in RT at the minute and need to have a look at DLSS 2.0 before commenting on that particular tech but wasn't impressed with the first version.

I was really hoping the 2070 would drop significantly in price to be competitive with the 5700xt as I'd actually prefer an Nvidia card for things like driver stability, noise/temp levels, and they tend to have more and better looking options when compared to AMD. Alas. It hasn't happened yet.

Had the 5700xt card and switched to RTX2070 super and don't regret it, have it a few months and love how well it works with all games, honestly haven't crashed once and noise levels are a lot less

2060 Super is a replacement for the 2070.

Same GPU die & ROP count, just a 5.5% reduction in shader units & 100 quid cheaper RRP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

They are not equal .... 5700 xt is quicker and cheaper

https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2522?vs=2517

• Advertisement

Take the 2060 Super, apply an overclock and you get ~7.5% more performance, putting it right against the 5700 XT.

And of course, since none of us are using an i9-9900K it's all academic anyway.

So I am recommending Nvidia on current feature set (and driver stability).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

Take the 2060 Super, apply an overclock and you get ~7.5% more performance, putting it right against the 5700 XT.

Yes .. and?.... You know you can overclock a 5700xt as well ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

The current Nvidia feature set could be out of date when the new cards land though? The 2060S is not going to be good enough for ray tracing in next year's games. It's barely good enough now.

DLSS may continue to be supported, but there's no guarantee if they launch DLSS 2.1 or whatever in the future, that it will be supported on 2000 series cards.

At this stage in the cycle I'd be inclined to wait until the next generation lands. A 5700XT or 2060S is a reasonable upgrade over a 1070, but I personally would hold out.

Advertisement