Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is immunity through exposure viable?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Downlinz

If immunity occurs it certainly doesn't appear reliable or consistent enough to be used as the basis for a strategy based on the mixed results from studies, hundreds of reinfection cases and medical experts appearing to have very little confidence in the idea.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

steve-o wrote: »
    If you have recovered from any virus, you have developed immunity. How long that immunity lasts (days, months, years) is not known.
    +1. If you're infected and don't develop immunity, you're either still sick*, your immune system has the virus at bay like chicken pox, or you're dead.

In follow ups with SARS survivors, they showed an immune response two years after infection. Given it's a very similar type virus it's probably similar in this way too.

*some may be still infected, be free of symptoms, have viral loads at a very low level not picked up by tests. I suspect that's what's happening with the re infected. They relapse rather than get reinfected from a new source.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

steve-o wrote: »
    Sky and many other media outlets, including RTE, have completely misunderstood what the WHO have said. Dr van Kerkhove said "Right now, we have no evidence that the use of a serological test can show that an individual has immunity or is protected from reinfection". She was talking about the accuracy/absence of tests, not whether someone actually has immunity or not.

If you have recovered from any virus, you have developed immunity. How long that immunity lasts (days, months, years) is not known.

Exactly, I'm not convinced they misunderstood though. The headline was certainly attention grabbing.
    Why the WHO went on to talk about no evidence of large numbers of people showing evidence of antibodies is baffling, surely that would be evident from the fact that such a tiny percentage of people have been infected and presumably a smaller proportion again being tested for antibodies after the event. I can only presume it was in response to the growing movements to release lockdowns etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Downlinz wrote: »
    If immunity occurs it certainly doesn't appear reliable or consistent enough to be used as the basis for a strategy based on the mixed results from studies, hundreds of reinfection cases and medical experts appearing to have very little confidence in the idea.

Could you link to the experts who have little confidence in the idea that people can develop immunity as it is completely at odd with every expert opinion I have read on the matter?
    Yes, there is concern about 'reinfections' and a lack of knowledge as to how long immunity might last, but I haven't heard anyone seriously doubt that immunity can be gained. That is further evidenced by the billions being pumped into finding vaccines by about 60 companies, those decisions are taken on the basis that immunity is possible, and maybe even better for those firms, it may be that ongoing vaccines are needed annually or bi-annually for the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

Posted this is the main thread too, article about the challenges of creating a coronavirus vaccine

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2020-04-17/coronavirus-vaccine-ian-frazer/12146616

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    Exactly, I'm not convinced they misunderstood though. The headline was certainly attention grabbing.
    Why the WHO went on to talk about no evidence of large numbers of people showing evidence of antibodies is baffling, surely that would be evident from the fact that such a tiny percentage of people have been infected and presumably a smaller proportion again being tested for antibodies after the event. I can only presume it was in response to the growing movements to release lockdowns etc?
    They were giving a comprehensive answer to a question about their position on the idea of using id cards to show that someone is immune. Some media took individual sentences out of context. In the video linked by RTE, Dr. Ryan talked about seroprevalence which relates to herd immunity and nothing to do with individual immunity, addressing the notion that many a large proportion of the population were already exposed to the virus and displayed few or no symptoms.

Advertisement