Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

government

Options

Comments

blanch152 wrote: »
    What polls?

They are up 3% in last poll released on march 29th?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

What polls?

The pointless poll :-)
    It’s is brilliant if SF are up
    Stupid thing only covers a FG and FF area of down

The only poll that counts is an election

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The pointless poll :-)
    It’s is brilliant if SF are up
    Stupid thing only covers a FG and FF area of down

The only poll that counts is an election

I dont disagree,but poster asked what poll since the election

Quite what you feel the above adds to the discussion given the line of conversation,is perplexing

Quite what you feel the above adds to the discussion given the line of conversation,is perplexing

I don’t see what the poll adds

It’s constantly fired out as some sort of guide, it’s not. It’s pointless and I have always said that. The only poll is the election so that is what the discussion should focus on

It’s worth pointing out you brought the poll into conversation, nobody else. So why do you think it’s relevant? Especially as we had an election less than 3 months ago

I don’t see what the poll adds

It’s constantly fired out as some sort of guide, it’s not. It’s pointless and I have always said that. The only poll is the election so that is what the discussion should focus on

It’s worth pointing out you brought the poll into conversation, nobody else. So why do you think it’s relevant? Especially as we had an election less than 3 months ago

If you think opioion polls are irrelevant to politic discussion...that is a view your free to hold,i suspect you are near alone in that view,but your entitled to it

Personally i felt this particular poll,taken as epidemic was taking hold/weeks into some restrictions was relevent anyway?,

But i guess we have to disagree on what counts as factual info surronding political.discussion as most discussion simply boils down to differing worldviews shouting at each other otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I still don’t know what poll you are talking about, which company, which newspaper etc.

I still don’t know what poll you are talking about, which company, which newspaper etc.

Ive given you the date and % increase....google is your friend mate

Under rules,afaik im.under no obligation to provide links

(Iirc fg were up.12% )

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭costacorta

Kivaro wrote: »
    Centre-Right me hole.
    All we heard from both parties during the last election cycle was new social housing for the "homeless". It was their primary election focal point.
    They forgot about the workers, which is why they both got burned in the election results. And deservedly so too.

And you think SF will look after the workers ? They are the ones on about homelessness and housing yet they had a great election so your post doesn’t make sense!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

latest?cb=20150919053524

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

(Iirc fg were up.12% )

Ok, found it now.

Combined FF/FG support at 52%, probably the most important finding in the context of government formation.

• Advertisement

Ok, found it now.

Combined FF/FG support at 52%, probably the most important finding in the context of government formation.

w5BSdgd8ppkwjTKk6

Dunno why this gif isnt working right :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

(Iirc fg were up.12% )

The poll is there beginning of March, i out of Country for a week at that time so i was not aware of this.
    But your adding weight to my point, we are all saying we want to change.

Why are SF not saying they want to be part of Government on the basis of election result and as you say this poll adds weight to their claim.
    The simple fact is they want to jump up and down but when it comes down to it they have not got what it takes.
    If they want to be taken seriously they should insist on being part of Government. SF are not doing this, They are in LOCKDOWN.

The poll is there beginning of March, i out of Country for a week at that time so i was not aware of this.
    But your adding weight to my point, we are all saying we want to change.

Why are SF not saying they want to be part of Government on the basis of election result and as you say this poll adds weight to their claim.
    The simple fact is they want to jump up and down but when it comes down to it they have not got what it takes.
    If they want to be taken seriously they should insist on being part of Government. SF are not doing this, They are in LOCKDOWN.

Tbf the only person i seen not wanting em,in at moment is varadkar

Which he is entitled to do so,but by tangaling taoiseach job infront of martin,he is essemtially damning FF to being wiped out sf/soc dems and more right leaning ff support goto fg,would seem obvious outcome

A great bit of political skullduggery....if i could attach gif properly,i would include a hat-tip one to varadkar

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Who the fcuk would want to be in government given what's coming down the line? There'll be a recession that will make 2008 - 2012 look like a walk in the park.

SF will sit on the sidelines for the next few years. FFG will get hammered at the next election similar to the way FF got hammered because the economy will have gone to sh1t and national debt will skyrocket.

Then SF will have their chance, which will be short-lived because their mouths are writing cheques that they can't cash.

costacorta wrote: »
    And you think SF will look after the workers ? They are the ones on about homelessness and housing yet they had a great election so your post doesn’t make sense!!

Well, the homeless situation has changed dramatically with the hundreds of short term let’s coming back on stream.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Who the fcuk would want to be in government given what's coming down the line? There'll be a recession that will make 2008 - 2012 look like a walk in the park.

SF will sit on the sidelines for the next few years. FFG will get hammered at the next election similar to the way FF got hammered because the economy will have gone to sh1t and national debt will skyrocket.

Then SF will have their chance, which will be short-lived because their mouths are writing cheques that they can't cash.

Tbf noone fully knows what coming down line econmically....yes tax take,will be well down and expense up

But never before has consumption been withdrawn from an econmy in way it is now,

(vaguest thing,resembling it,i think on...would be earthquake struck areas,which shut down for rescue/recovery etc,but nothing like this length and most recover reasonably well,as governments kick start econmies to begin rebuilding,which is where this comparison ends,if ecb insist on austrity)

Well, the homeless situation has changed dramatically with the hundreds of short term let’s coming back on stream.

But surely an econmic/tourism.recovery over next 18 months would put us back to square 1??

Surely now is time to get ahead of the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Tbf noone fully knows what coming down line econmically....yes tax take,will be well down and expense up

But never before has consumption been withdrawn from an econmy in way it is now,

(vaguest thing,resembling it,i think on...would be earthquake struck areas,which shut down for rescue/recovery etc,but nothing like this length and most recover reasonably well,as governments kick start econmies to begin rebuilding,which is where this comparison ends,if ecb insist on austrity)

You are correct in that we don't fully know what's coming down the line but I think everyone can agree that it's bad. The only question is how bad.

Recovery won't be on par with an earthquake as earthquakes tend to strike in one area and don't really affect the rest of the world. The virus has struck devastating blows to nearly every economy in the whole world which is unprecedented.

I'd love to be wrong but I think we are in for a long, bumpy ride (and not the fun kind either).

But surely an econmic/tourism.recovery over next 18 months would put us back to square 1??

Use hotels and registered guesthouses for tourists and houses built for private use for families. Enforce the building regulations. Tourism and holidays won’t be very high on people’s lists of priorities for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

In the event of another election and the same results emerging, should there be another and another until a majority

Ffg would lose more seats, that's why they dont meant a re run , it's also mm last shot at the big time... and varadkar wants his taoiseach pension, which he is very close too

• Advertisement

You are correct in that we don't fully know what's coming down the line but I think everyone can agree that it's bad. The only question is how bad.

Recovery won't be on par with an earthquake as earthquakes tend to strike in one area and don't really affect the rest of the world. The virus has struck devastating blows to nearly every economy in the whole world which is unprecedented.

I'd love to be wrong but I think we are in for a long, bumpy ride (and not the fun kind either).

Tbh without sounding insane...i can see a wealth tax of some form being introduced (despite owning land etc,i know will pay for this,but realistically it likely coming)

Low/middle income earners have no wriggle room left to cut out from......nearly a decade after occupy wall street protests,their view will come to pass

(while so long ago to be irrelavant to.discussion,the period after the black death saw an emergence of a type of middle class and poorer people prosper-slavery/medievel sh1te aside :pac: .....its a fasinating period in history that)

That's my point, sitting on the fence whinging at a time of crisis is not what is needed.
    We need some real leadership with whats coming at is.
    Here we really do not care as we are talking about the result of an election in 5 years with FF-FG-SF.
    We love things as they are and that's the way it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,149 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

The poll is The Red C Poll

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

That's my point, sitting on the fence whinging at a time of crisis is not what is needed.
    Here we really do not care as we are talking about the result of an election in 5 years with FF-FG-SF.

Leadership ? In this country? Good one. As with Brexit, they thi k this will be an excuse to ignore everything else, they were wrong about it as proven with Brexit and the want to get their act together on housing for the non wasters asap

Tbh without sounding insane...i can see a wealth tax of some form being introduced (despite owning land etc,i know will pay for this,but realistically it likely coming)

Low/middle income earners have no wriggle room left to cut out from......nearly a decade after occupy wall street protests,their view will come to pass

(while so long ago to be irrelavant to.discussion,the period after the black death saw an emergence of a type of middle class and poorer people prosper-slavery/medievel sh1te aside :pac: .....its a fasinating period in history that)

Low earners are paying very little. It is the middle earner and high that is constantly targetted,.,,...

Time to cut social, time to restrict child allowance to a max of 3 kids or something like that. Time for the Christmas bonus to be shut down

Its time people wanted to go out and work, not sit on their backside and expect someone else to fund them

SF like sitting in the background throwing mud. Releasing stories to the press about politicians wanting more money to work from home which of course turned out to be bulls**t

That is SF, not a party to stand up and help. Sneak around in the shadows throwing mud, plenty of people are stupid enough to believe it.

Low earners are paying very little. It is the middle earner and high that is constantly targetted,.,,...

Time to cut social, time to restrict child allowance to a max of 3 kids or something like that. Time for the Christmas bonus to be shut down

Its time people wanted to go out and work, not sit on their backside and expect someone else to fund them

Your entitled to your worldview.....personally i dont think targeting the poorest to make up the shortfall is gonna come near enough to make up shortfall

Like realistically speaking,a wealth tax is coming,no matter how much you welfare you cut,it not be enough

Mate large amount of low paid,dont earn a living wage....what benefits do you precieve to be achieved taking more money off people,who rarely have e20 left over at end of the week ??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Ffg would lose more seats, that's why they dont meant a re run , it's also mm last shot at the big time... and varadkar wants his taoiseach pension, which he is very close too

Would they?

I think the smaller parties would be the biggest losers, greens, sd etc. Unless they nail their colours to the mast pre election

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I wouldnt be relying on overseas tourists to be the recovery boost. An awful lot of people worldwide will be staying at home. The aviation industry will take a long time to recover particularly if social distancing continues. On a domestic level it willbe tricky for hotels, bars etc but if they can start some form ofoperation they will get guests but will it be enough to cover operating costs.

• Advertisement

SF like sitting in the background throwing mud. Releasing stories to the press about politicians wanting more money to work from home which of course turned out to be bulls**t

That is SF, not a party to stand up and help. Sneak around in the shadows throwing mud, plenty of people are stupid enough to believe it.

I agree with you, unfortunately the basis of our political system is based on this in my opinion.
    Its everyone for themselved especially in Kerry, i have being unhappy with our parochial political system for years.
    Nobody really seems bothered about the Country and events of recent past have proven this.
    One thing comes to mind Cookoo funds buying mass of housed in Dublin and our own people shut-out.
    These were zoned as homes not for property portfolio.

Advertisement