Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tottenham Hotspur Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

Hojbjerg just kicking it to them again and again and again

What are people seeing that says we were set up to defend?

Ive seen an entire midfield kicking the ball to red shirts all game, thats not a managerial instruction

Defenders sitting deep, lack of any pressure on the ball, a contentedness to pass backwards rather than try anything progressive. It's not as if Arsenal were applying ferocious pressure that was hemming Spurs in. That came from a combination of poor ability and, much more so, a manager drilling fear into his players. There is such a fear of making a mistake within this squad. A bit ironic when relying on Sanchez and sometimes Dier to keep a clean sheet.

Hojbjerg was coming far too deep to get the ball of the centre backs in the first half. It really annoyed me seeing him taking it and passing straight back to them. That is normally coached out of a player very early on as you're essentially wasting a midfielder and cutting out passing options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

I dunno lads, hojbjerg and ndombele and kane didnt do much right today and we can criticise the defence and mourinho but if three big names dont do the basics you wont win

Players need to shoulder blame today, way way way below par on the easy stufd

NDombele and Kane did nothing today I would argue.

Hojbjerg had an impossible task the whole game. He was being asked to do the jobs of 2/3 others around him. Still wasn't his best game by any stretch though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

No way is that a penalty. Ball is not in control.

No way is that a red for lamela. First it was high chest and second he was doing what every player does to push the man away while turning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,791 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Llunjberg casting doubt on lamelas second yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Lamela should take a good look at himself, childish from a paid professional

Not saying it altered the result but to go around like that after a yellow and a few warnings seriously

Again players bottled it, city will spank I’m afraid ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

joeguevara wrote: »
    No way is that a penalty. Ball is not in control.

No way is that a red for lamela. First it was high chest and second he was doing what every player does to push the man away while turning.

In fairness I thought it was a harsh peno but it was def a 2nd yellow, lamela is brain dead and stretching your arm out at full length at face height while already booked is only going one way.

Couldnt argue against penalty, couldnt argue that lamela had been asking for a second yellow, even if the actual one in the end was soft

golfball37 wrote: »
    An utterly pathetic performance regardless of whether an equaliser materialises in last few minutes. This Woolwich side are no better than Burnley or Crystal Palace who were rolled over last few weeks, yet Mourinho sends them out with a defensive mindset and set up as if it’s Brazil 1970 they’re facing. Only started playing when down to 10 men and have bosses the game with a disallowed Kane goal and hitting the post too.

In fairness they played yez off the park like they were Brazil of 1970, mourinho tried his usual anti football but it didn't work.

Equium wrote: »
    Defenders sitting deep, lack of any pressure on the ball, a contentedness to pass backwards rather than try anything progressive. It's not as if Arsenal were applying ferocious pressure that was hemming Spurs in. That came from a combination of poor ability and, much more so, a manager drilling fear into his players. There is such a fear of making a mistake within this squad. A bit ironic when relying on Sanchez and sometimes Dier to keep a clean sheet.

Hojbjerg was coming far too deep to get the ball of the centre backs in the first half. It really annoyed me seeing him taking it and passing straight back to them. That is normally coached out of a player very early on as you're essentially wasting a midfielder and cutting out passing options.

Yeah couldnt disagree with any of that tbf

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Cast all the doubt he wants, ref got it right

Fully agree I thought lamela was heading for a red anyway as I posted before said red.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

In fairness they played yez off the park like they were Brazil of 1970, mourinho tried his usual anti football but it didn't work.

That was the point I was making. His anti football stuff is completely counter productive. All out attack today and we still may have lost but we’d have scored 3.

That was the point I was making. His anti football stuff is completely counter productive. All out attack today and we still may have lost but we’d have scored 3.

Mourinho always preferred not losing to winning

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Mourinho always preferred not losing to winning

Yeah, i'm sure he hates all those trophies he didn't lose.

What do we do with Doherty lads

Very poor again today

Very poor again today

Looks like aurier has to play. He has a brain fart in him every game but he can provide a cross and some attacking impetus.
    Doherty gives nothing which is so disappointing from an Irish point of view.

Kiith wrote: »
    Yeah, i'm sure he hates all those trophies he didn't lose.

Sure none of those matters to spurs do they? How many years is it now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

Sure none of those matters to spurs do they? How many years is it now?

Why don’t ya go on your own thread .Yer 10th in the table and your on here giving it the big one .

Very poor again today

I was excited when we signed him but he has been such a letdown . Will be suprised if he still with us next season .I know Coleman is pushing on but for me he has to start before Doherty for Ireland .,

Very poor again today

I agree that Doherty is not the player he was last year. But he was better in the forward positions today than he has been most of the season. Aurier is on form and he should start.

On a completely different note, delighted to see Dawson on the panel today. One of my favourite players.

• Advertisement

I think they thought they were getting another Ben Davies but for the right back position instead. Solid, dependable and cheap. Unfortunately he makes Davies look like Roberto Carlos.

But my main complaint is the team lost today and, in my opinion, they didn't even have a proper go at Arsenal. Scared and cautious. Went out with a whimper.

I think they thought they were getting another Ben Davies but for the right back position instead. Solid, dependable and cheap. Unfortunately he makes Davies look like Roberto Carlos.

But my main complaint is the team lost today and, in my opinion, they didn't even have a proper go at Arsenal. Scared and cautious. Went out with a whimper.

That’s the thing . We most looked like scoring when we threw caution to the wind . Why not attack from the start and let them worry about us . We went to a team today who were eleventh in the table for a reason and gave them way too much respect . We are not a team currently that’s set up to
    Defend cause our defenders aren’t good enough . Even when it went one nil did anybody honestly think we were gonna keep a clean sheet . At the moment attack is our best form of defence!

Since we beat Woolwich in December our record against teams in top half of table is played 8, lost 8. One of them was Everton in the cup.

That’s embarrassing, we treated today like we were heading to the Nou Camp facing Barca in their prime when we should have went there expecting to win. I want him gone. Any caretaker manager could set this team up better to beat inferior teams. The proof we needed was the final ten minutes

Lamela should take a good look at himself, childish from a paid professional

Not saying it altered the result but to go around like that after a yellow and a few warnings seriously

Again players bottled it, city will spank I’m afraid ,

Am I wrong or did lamela even touch the arsenal players face. He didn't look around and just put his hand back to push away any opponent.

It did slip up but I am definitely not convinced that it is a hand pushed in the face of an opponent as the ref implied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Am I wrong or did lamela even touch the arsenal players face. He didn't look around and just put his hand back to push away any opponent.

It did slip up but I am definitely not convinced that it is a hand pushed in the face of an opponent as the ref implied.

He definitely catches him, yellow card all day long. https://youtu.be/LVRdsvBRqq8&t=125

Spurs were actually far more threatening after the red card. Mourinho’s approach to big games must be so frustrating. If Spurs attacked from the get go they may well have come away with 1 or even all 3 points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Glebee

I was more amazed that Martin Keown said on MOTD that it was not a penalty.

• Advertisement

L'prof wrote: »
    He definitely catches him, yellow card all day long. https://youtu.be/LVRdsvBRqq8&t=125

Spurs were actually far more threatening after the red card. Mourinho’s approach to big games must be so frustrating. If Spurs attacked from the get go they may well have come away with 1 or even all 3 points

I don't know what to say. Immediately I thought he should be off but after looking at the replay it is not really clear. This video is the best one I have found to see exactly what happened.
    https://youtu.be/yjPrCWfu7MM

The commentary says it is a red all day long but if you look at circa 11 seconds you'll see lamelas hand not near the face as stated and below the neck. Every one is agreeing that a footballer will push the opponent away when protecting the ball. In no way is lamela going for the face as he is unsighted. Not a yellow for me but I am agreeing that it is not clear. But if not clear then you go in favour of not sending someone off.

Especially if you have given a penalty which was not one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Is it on tv? I backed Zagreb at 9/1. They are in serious form. Hope I’m wrong but will cash in on my misery if not

How much did you win backing arsenal ? 🤮

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

MrKingsley wrote: »
    That's better Joe.

Doherty starts at RB anyway. That could be a massive weakness if Bale isn't getting back quickly Tierney might well have a field day
    If only we could have told Jose.. Bale hung Doherty out all game.
    Any right back gets skinned two on one imo

The centre backs ignoring opposition players from crosses is where id be looking tbh, they never never never follow the man
    Exactly, Look at the goal from the cross, Bale tracks back a bit then stops, hands on the hips while the 2 arsenal players pull doherty to them then, hit it past him for the cross. Pathetic effort from Bale.
    Glebee wrote: »
    Been coimg and deserved. Doherty getting skinned every time. Not gettimg any help from Bale who has been missing as well.

Absolutley. Doherty getting absolutley slaughtered by everyone, but he was against 2 attacking him for most of the 1st half .!
    spurshero wrote: »
    Stop . There just pushing the ball past him and skipping past him like he’s not there. All ya have to do is look at the goal we conceded.
    Yeh, as i said above, did you see Bales 'involvement' in it?? he stopped tracking his man, and the cross was simple after that.
    Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Bale is not giving him much of a hand either.

as above. This caused Tanguy or PeH having to go across to that wing to help doherty, but that caused space in the middle and left the midfielders free then...
    Bale did fcuk all.

apart from the above .... i have fcuk all to say about the game...

fcuk em.

Since we beat Woolwich in December our record against teams in top half of table is played 8, lost 8. One of them was Everton in the cup.

That’s embarrassing, we treated today like we were heading to the Nou Camp facing Barca in their prime when we should have went there expecting to win. I want him gone. Any caretaker manager could set this team up better to beat inferior teams. The proof we needed was the final ten minutes

When I saw the starting 11 I immediately thought that it was the best team we could put out. Only one who had me thinking was Doherty ahead of aurier.

We went ahead but we were not playing well. They equalised just before half time. Son had gone but lamela had scored a world or so can't complain.

A poor call gave them a penalty to go ahead and then they were gifted a red card for a challenge I'm unsure deserved it. We were by far the best team after and only the post, misses and clearances stopped equalisers and winners for us.

We have had the best matches ever recently so I think that you starting with December is a little disingenuous. Also our best players didn't turn up today but we can't blame Jose for this.

What exactly do you think that he did wrong today in comparison to the things that he does right.

I still think that we will have 2 cups in the bag by the end of the season and what caretaker manager would do that. In fact what regular manager have we had who would be able to get it done.

If we don't have anything by the end of the season then we can have a discussion but not really appropriate now.

Or am I completely deluded?

• Advertisement

I don't know what to say. Immediately I thought he should be off but after looking at the replay it is not really clear. This video is the best one I have found to see exactly what happened.
    https://youtu.be/yjPrCWfu7MM

The commentary says it is a red all day long but if you look at circa 11 seconds you'll see lamelas hand not near the face as stated and below the neck. Every one is agreeing that a footballer will push the opponent away when protecting the ball. In no way is lamela going for the face as he is unsighted. Not a yellow for me but I am agreeing that it is not clear. But if not clear then you go in favour of not sending someone off.

Especially if you have given a penalty which was not one.

If he was given a straight red then it would be harsh but it’s a definite yellow, intentional or not

The pen is just one of those you hate to see go against your team. Lacazette has had his shot and fluffed it before the challenge comes in but it’s still a foul in the box so it’s a pen. Arsenal have had similar go against them on numerous occasions so I would have been annoyed if it wasn’t awarded

greenspurs wrote: »
    How much did you win backing arsenal ? 🀮

110 quid

When I saw the starting 11 I immediately thought that it was the best team we could put out. Only one who had me thinking was Doherty ahead of aurier.

We went ahead but we were not playing well. They equalised just before half time. Son had gone but lamela had scored a world or so can't complain.

A poor call gave them a penalty to go ahead and then they were gifted a red card for a challenge I'm unsure deserved it. We were by far the best team after and only the post, misses and clearances stopped equalisers and winners for us.

We have had the best matches ever recently so I think that you starting with December is a little disingenuous. Also our best players didn't turn up today but we can't blame Jose for this.

What exactly do you think that he did wrong today in comparison to the things that he does right.

I still think that we will have 2 cups in the bag by the end of the season and what caretaker manager would do that. In fact what regular manager have we had who would be able to get it done.

If we don't have anything by the end of the season then we can have a discussion but not really appropriate now.

Or am I completely deluded?

ur kinda right

but jose tactics for bigger teams is questionable

would i take 2 trophies and a poor league position, too bloody right, ive had too many years of praise for being a lovely team who wins fcuk all,

will we win two trophies, cant see it myself TBH

yes bale left doherty exposed but sh!t happens to full backs, a full back with good pace can handle a two v one, hence why regullion looks ok playing with son and davies gets roasted

If he was given a straight red then it would be harsh but it’s a definite yellow, intentional or not

The pen is just one of those you hate to see go against your team. Lacazette has had his shot and fluffed it before the challenge comes in but it’s still a foul in the box so it’s a pen. Arsenal have had similar go against them on numerous occasions so I would have been annoyed if it wasn’t awarded

how is it a foul, if the player shooting makes a balls of his 'shot' and kicks the defender thats trying to block the shot ??

I suppose it helps if the 'attacker' goes down yelping in pain.... AGAIN ....

It was a yellow lads. He probably should have gone for the previous tackle, so its no surprise an arm to the face, intentional or not, gets the 2nd yellow.

Win against Villa and we go 3 points behind Chelsea (or WH) in 4th.

how is it a foul, if the player shooting makes a balls of his 'shot' and kicks the defender thats trying to block the shot ??

I suppose it helps if the 'attacker' goes down yelping in pain.... AGAIN ....

He’s been impeded on the follow through on his shot. It’s a foul

Again can anyone explain the reason why they think it is worth a yellow card based on the fact that lamelas hand is clearly on the opponents chest and not the face as the ref based his decision on. The video I have posted previously is clear on this. Forget about the explanation about previous indiscretion by him, he was protecting himself and the ball as all players do. His hand placed on the chest of the arsenal player.

Everyone agrees that the penalty was not fair and not even arguable.

Am I missing something?

Again can anyone explain the reason why they think it is worth a yellow card based on the fact that lamelas hand is clearly on the opponents chest and not the face as the ref based his decision on. The video I have posted previously is clear on this. Forget about the explanation about previous indiscretion by him, he was protecting himself and the ball as all players do. His hand placed on the chest of the arsenal player

Your “video” is a collection of still images. Tierney was caught on the chin, watch the sky sports replays again in the youtube link I sent. It’s clear as day. Anyway, I’m out lads. Enjoy the rest of the season

Lamela had been warned three times since getting booked, flung his arm out behind him and made contact

In context i have no real problem with it tbh.

I dont think focusing on the two ref decisions does us any favours.

Four or five of our best players never showed

Our tactics relied once again on our weakest points and not our strengths

And we didnt play a bit of football til a goal and a man down

Thats stuff we can and should be addressing in house, i dont think the ref affected that game one bit tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVRdsvBRqq8

That's not just putting your arm behind you to protect yourself. He does it way to fast, and does come in contact with the player. Regardless of how the Arsenal player then sells it, its a yellow card every time. Hand to neck/face, yellow card. Made **** all difference to the game, bar making us actually try to play some football. If getting someone sent off is the catalyst to us actually trying, maybe we should do it every ****ing game.

I think blinkers are on here lads. Again, if that was an Arsenal player who did it, and wasn't booked, we'd be absolutely furious.

• Advertisement

Your “video” is a collection of still images. Tierney was caught on the chin, watch the sky sports replays again in the youtube link I sent. It’s clear as day. Anyway, I’m out lads. Enjoy the rest of the season

Firstly I have to say that I am not being obtuse. I am just trying to understand a decision. I don't want to cause any argument or anything like that.

I think that a collection of still images is the best way to approach the whole issue. It shows that the hand was used on the chest before it made any contact with the chin. The momentum of the arsenal player was the only thing that made the hand go from the chest to the chin. Lamela was facing the other way, and controlling the ball. His hand was our and not used to hit the face of the player.

As I said earlier, if it is not a clear cut swipe which will lead to the dismissal of the player in control of the ball, you go with the player.

I understand that other behaviour is partly responsible for the card but it is not really appropriate to do that to dismiss him.

If I am off the wall, I'll accept it but I don't think I am.

Lamela had been warned three times since getting booked, flung his arm out behind him and made contact

In context i have no real problem with it tbh.

I dont think focusing on the two ref decisions does us any favours.

Four or five of our best players never showed

Our tactics relied once again on our weakest points and not our strengths

And we didnt play a bit of football til a goal and a man down

Thats stuff we can and should be addressing in house, i dont think the ref affected that game one bit tbh

Agreed completely. actually I Said to the guy who was watching the match with me that I was happy when they scored the penalty as it was inevitable that they were going to score and we had time to recover. We were pathetic in the second half until we were down to 10 men.

Absolutely no issue with Lamela getting the 2 yellows, both were warranted imo.

Kane was very lucky to escape with his sneaky (brilliant) late tackle on Gabriel ,
    (Englands golden boy does it again,if it was anyone else, continually at it ....blah blah blah .....)

The penalty though is an inexcusable error by englands "top ref" ! Only arsenal fans think it was a peno ...

IMPEDED !!!
    He fcuking kicked Sanchez !!

:rolleyes: :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Absolutely no issue with Lamela getting the 2 yellows, both were warranted imo.

Kane was very lucky to escape with his sneaky (brilliant) late tackle on Gabriel ,
    (Englands golden boy does it again,if it was anyone else, continually at it ....blah blah blah .....)

The penalty though is an inexcusable error by englands "top ref" ! Only arsenal fans think it was a peno ...

Sanchez brought down Lacazette without getting near the ball. That's a foul. A foul inside the penalty area is a penalty. It's that simple

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I actually thought it was a penalty until I read this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Glebee

What ever about the penalty, the sending off or the rabona, we were so poor its not even funny at this stage. We offered nothing until the last few minutes.

greendom wrote: »
    Sanchez brought down Lacazette without getting near the ball. That's a foul. A foul inside the penalty area is a penalty. It's that simple

The result is the result and I have no interest in saying that it was wrong.

But no foul was committed and no penalty was justified
    Every pundit, ref, analyst etc agrees with that. Crazy to think var does not accept the same analysis.

Fcuck it lads. We have to look at the next match and get back to the team we were before the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The result is the result and I have no interest in saying that it was wrong.

But no foul was committed and no penalty was justified
    Every pundit, ref, analyst etc agrees with that. Crazy to think var does not accept the same analysis.

Fcuck it lads. We have to look at the next match and get back to the team we were before the match.

Sanchez absolutely clatters into Lacazette - how can that not be a foul?

• Advertisement

I think this article is telling, and we have heard that before...... Different gaffers, same players, same results........

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/fixtures-results/tottenham-players-reaction-jose-mourinho-20159751

I couldnt disagree with anything Jose , or Alasdair Gold says in this.

Advertisement