Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tottenham Hotspur Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

I think the international break is coming at a good time for us, gives us a breather from the league and we'll have Lamela and possibly Son and Toby available when we get back. Next game is away to Newcastle, that is a must win and if we do that we are in the CL mix again. Its been one crazy season in keeping with the year that's in it.

Newcastle are an awful team in awful form and if anything the table and points flatter them and regardless of who we put out against them we all know theres a chance of a 2-1 loss and thats a massive club mentality problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Glebee

Its really is hard to believe after last weeks doom and gloom that we are still in the hunt for CL football next year. Break coming at the right time to try to refocus the players mind. Time to earn your money Jose.. This is what your good at.

Get our man joe in for the team talks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

amazing what a win does for the soul talk of top 4 again it's the hope that kills you
    Jaysus im keeping my head fixed firmly on the europa spots for now just for my own good!
    jobeenfitz wrote:
    We are not favourites for top 4 but our fixture list is easier than Leicester and Chelsea, there's a glimmer of hope.

We have 9 league matches left, a possible 27 points and would need maximum or near maximum to achieve top 4 including beating Leicester on the final day.

We have united and Everton in the next few weeks. If we have maximum points from the next 4 games then and only turn will I start to think top 4 is a possibility

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

We have 9 league matches left, a possible 27 points and would need maximum or near maximum to achieve top 4 including beating Leicester on the final day.

We have united and Everton in the next few weeks. If we have maximum points from the next 4 games then and only turn will I start to think top 4 is a possibility

off all the teams above us, everton and utd are the ones id pick to play

last game of the season at Leicester is made for a Jose smash and grab and jose dancing down the line in front of Mr Smug Rodgers

with a bit of luck and right team selections, its possible, but probably not going to happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Jose Mourinho suggested the Tottenham dressing room is divided by “selfish” players and agents who have a relationship with the press.
    Spurs responded to an embarrassing Europa League exit to Dinamo Zagreb, where they threw away a 2-0 first-leg lead, to reignite their top-four Premier League hopes thanks to a 2-0 win at Aston Villa, where goals from Carlos Vinicius and Harry Kane earned the points.
    In the wake of Thursday’s loss and the north London derby defeat to Arsenal, skipper Hugo Lloris came out and said there were problems being caused by players not in the team and the result was a consequence of deep-rooted problems at the club.
    Mourinho appeared to agree with that assessment, saying it was difficult to keep a harmonious dressing room.
    “Football nowadays is not easy in relation to that,” he told Sky Sports. “The selfishness is around, the individual interests are around, the agents are around, the connections between agents and press are around.
    “And instead of developing a feeling of a team, empathy, ‘I do for you, you do for me’, ‘I win if I play 90 minutes, I win if I am in the stands’.
    “This is something that you need time to develop this in a group. Nowadays you need time because society and the psychological profile of younger people is not an easy one.
    “I want to be proud of my players, it does not matter the result. And during my career I was proud of my players many times after defeats.
    “I was not proud last Thursday or at the Emirates. For me, more than thinking about what position we are going to finish, whether we are going to win the (Carabao Cup) final, is to try to develop this spirit that we need.
    “But I cannot do it alone. I have to do it with my club. I have to do it with my players in the dressing room. But tonight I am really happy with what they did.”
    Mourinho accused his players of losing to attitude and lacking professionalism in Croatia but, after making some changes, was happy with the response of his side.
    “I’m very happy with the result, I’m very happy with the performance, I’m very happy with the attitude,” he said. “I’m not happy with the feeling that if you did it tonight, why you didn’t do it 48 hours ago? That match on Thursday will be a scar for a long time.
    “It’s not going to heal just because we won, but total credit to the players. They were a team. They fought together. They put in the game that honest, that dignity that football players should, should put in every match.
    “I think the next challenge for this team is to have a performance like this one, not as a reaction to a bad or a couple of bad results, but to have this reaction, this attitude, this collective state of soul to have these every game.
    “We are going to lose matches, we are going to play bad, but to have these human qualities in every match is the next challenge for the team.
    “For me this is the victory of the dressing room, the victory of their spirit, the victory of the group that felt ashamed of what happened in the last week.
    “To be ashamed I always think is a man’s reaction. Don’t care, don’t give a s**t is not for men. To be ashamed is a man’s reaction which they had and I’m very happy for them.”
    Vinicius’ first Premier League goal, against the run of play, put Spurs into a half-time lead and then Kane scored his 17th league goal of the season from the spot after the break.
    Villa’s season is dwindling to a limp end as a run of no wins in four games looks like restricting them to a mid-table finish after they had threatened an assault on the top six earlier in the campaign.
    But boss Dean Smith said his side have never recovered from their campaign being halted by a coronavirus outbreak in January.
    “After the Covid, form has been up and down since then, we have lost the momentum,” Smith said. “Since then our form has been up and down and we have lost our consistency.
    “But I see that in the whole league. We have been up and down, we have played well in some games and not so well in others.
    “The amount of games we have played, Covid broke up that momentum, we came back to a really tough game in Man City.
    “In the last seven or eight games we have not shown that rhythm and momentum we have had. Players have got to play themselves back into form. Their form isn’t there at the moment.”

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

no mid-week games will help us too - we could do this :D

Hugo Lloris is open to leaving #thfc this summer. The goalkeeper is somewhat resigned to the club's continuously changing policy between signing young prospects for future sales versus having genuine title ambitions. [L’Équipe]

It takes some longer than others but they cotton on eventually that ENIC aren't in it for silverware

Chop and change managers every 2 seasons and hope one of them has a freak season when 3 or 4 of the big boys has a transnational season.

We even managed to blow it when that happened.

• Advertisement

Hugo Lloris is open to leaving #thfc this summer. The goalkeeper is somewhat resigned to the club's continuously changing policy between signing young prospects for future sales versus having genuine title ambitions. [L’Équipe]

It takes some longer than others but they cotton on eventually that ENIC aren't in it for silverware

Chop and change managers every 2 seasons and hope one of them has a freak season when 3 or 4 of the big boys has a transnational season.

Also Bale not staying - his choice ?!
    He wants to go back to Madrid ,after spending this season at Spurs to get fit for the Euros !! ....... :confused: "get fit" = try not get hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Haha so you’ve known it for years but our club captain has only just figured it out? I wouldn’t get too worked up about a rumour in l’Equipe with no sources, no quotes and no facts, although I wouldn’t be disappointed if we are considering our goalkeeping options.

You’re thinking of Chelsea who change managers every two years, Spurs have had 2 managers in the last 7 years and counting. If you always have to make stuff up to make a point, you probably don’t have a good point.

greenspurs wrote: »
    Also Bale not staying - his choice ?!
    He wants to go back to Madrid ,after spending this season at Spurs to get fit for the Euros !! ....... :confused: "get fit" = try not get hurt

I saw somewhere: Wales, Golf, Madrid, Spurs. In that order.

Then again all he really said was he’s due to go back at the end of his loan. Which he is.

spurs have an option to extend the loan next year if both spurs and the player want too

on the same terms as last year which is 40% of his salary

if bale wants to go back to madrid to play golf , what can club do, but as ormus pointed out he only answered the question asked off him,

as for lloris, if he wants to go back to France now, would you blame him, young family and him coming to end of his career, talk is going back to Nice, I mean come on thats hardly a step up now is it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Glebee

Going on bales current form and what hes shown he would be not getting near madrid team. If hes not prepared to fight for a place at spurs he wont at madrid either. Im sure madrid are keeping an eye on him.

Glebee wrote: »
    Going on bales current form and what hes shown he would be not getting near madrid team. If hes not prepared to fight for a place at spurs he wont at madrid either. Im sure madrid are keeping an eye on him.

If he can sort out his putting I think he’ll do well in Madrid. He’ll definitely play regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

If Lloris wants out then that could be an absolute blessing.

Obviously a replacement would need to be signed but it can't be that hard to find someone costs us a goal once every 4 games as opposed to once every 3

You think but we have struggled previously!

We are a club that has never put a focus on centre halves dominating crosses nor the central midfield actively preventing shots, so opposition have usually figured out a way after a while to get high quality chances which can make our gk a lonely and exposed position sometimes.

Now of course id balance that by admitting his sticking to his line and his errors with ball at feet have become an ever increasing feature of his game.

Hes been pretty good since returning from injury but at 34 and not getting any better id hope we could get a keeper to improve us

Not to mention freeing up the armband, hes never been a good captain for us (the only highlight i can recall was thus weeks interview)

not sure but I have a funny feeling Lloris could be one of those players that will only be appreciated when he is gone

in relation to captain, he must have something, I mean he is also the french captain and has been for years (cant see it myself)

Ormus wrote: »
    Haha so you’ve known it for years but our club captain has only just figured it out? I wouldn’t get too worked up about a rumour in l’Equipe with no sources, no quotes and no facts, although I wouldn’t be disappointed if we are considering our goalkeeping options.

You’re thinking of Chelsea who change managers every two years, Spurs have had 2 managers in the last 7 years and counting. If you always have to make stuff up to make a point, you probably don’t have a good point.

I think it's 11 mgrs in 20 years, less than 2 years on average,

As for Lloris himself, I think it's 4 mgrs in his 8 years at the club,

Anyway, as you were...

not sure but I have a funny feeling Lloris could be one of those players that will only be appreciated when he is gone

in relation to captain, he must have something, I mean he is also the french captain and has been for years (cant see it myself)

Hes good at organising the Golf society and Xmas party ??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I think people here have very short memories, and are being extremely harsh on Lloris.

He's been one of our more consistent players for years, but sure **** him right? Christ :rolleyes:

Kiith wrote: »
    I think people here have very short memories, and are being extremely harsh on Lloris.

He's been one of our more consistent players bar the last few years, but sure **** him right? Christ :rolleyes:

FYP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

He's been one of our more consistent players for years, but sure **** him right? Christ :rolleyes:

100%. The best keeper we've had in the PL era - outside of him it's a long list of at best average keepers that we've had.

Hugo might be past his best, and it is a position we could look to upgrade, but he's been a great servant to the club.

I struggle to believe that the latest English flavour-of-the month keepers that have been mentioned (Johnstone, Pope) will be an improvement on Lloris.

I tried to be balanced tbf

I dont think hes an excellent goalkeeper any more, but he was once.

I dont think his style of play suits the way we play anymore, it did once.

I dont think his style as a captain ever benefitted the group of players tbh.

Hes 34, he seems open himself to a move back to his home country and best of luck to him- great servant to the club.

He'll be remembered up there with Jan imo, two guys that were head and shoulders an upgrade on what we had when we signed them and each played a big part in some very good times

Regarding a replacement, we dont actually give up a huge amount of chances for a keeper to deal with and i kind of feel that a keeper who may not necessarily be at hugos level overall but who had better feet, dominated the box more and was a lot more vocal would end up being a better fit as things are?

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

I think overall Hugo has been a really good keeper for us. He can't play the ball out of defence to save his life and he's not and has never been good at coming out for crosses/dominating his 6 yard area but some of his saves and reaction/reflex saves have been out of this world. At his peak he was one of the best 4 or 5 keepers in the world. We haven't had too many players falling into that category in the last 10/20 years. Its when you have to throw in the likes of Hart/Gazzanaga that you fully appreciate how good Hugo was/is on occassion. It is still the case that a good/consistent keeper is arguably the most important player on the team. So for my money on his day he is still one of the best in the premier league and whenever he goes he will be rightfully acknowledged for his time with the club. Recently his form and confidence has dipped for sure, hopefully he can get it back.

Hugo been linked with Utd .....

:P

greenspurs wrote: »
    Hugo been linked with Utd .....

:P

swap with henderson maybe

I've been saying it for 3/4 years now that we need an upgrade at GK.

He will put us under pressure with sloppy clearances (under no pressure) every game. He doesn't come for crosses/corners and with our inability to win balls in the air thats a problem. And he doesn't stand tall when shots are near him. He falls away with the ball instead. Gets beaten far too often at his near post.

But he'll make a crazy reaction stop and that will make the highlight reels so he is still held in high regard by many.

Having said all of that he's the best keeper I've seen for spurs.

I tried to be balanced tbf

I dont think hes an excellent goalkeeper any more, but he was once.

I dont think his style of play suits the way we play anymore, it did once.

I dont think his style as a captain ever benefitted the group of players tbh.

Hes 34, he seems open himself to a move back to his home country and best of luck to him- great servant to the club.

He'll be remembered up there with Jan imo, two guys that were head and shoulders an upgrade on what we had when we signed them and each played a big part in some very good times

Perfectly put

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

MrKingsley wrote: »

Think Pat Jennings was our best ever keeper.

Used to catch crosses with one hand :eek:

Super gentle giant with hands like shovels.

He won a record 119 caps for Northern Ireland in an international career which spanned 22 years, he played more than 1,000 games at the top level, was named Footballer of the Year in 1973, won five major trophies, received an MBE and an OBE and even scored a goal in the 1967 Charity Shield.

He was also Spurs Supporters Dublin Branch player of the year in 1973

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Lads can anyone name a keeper that hasn’t made some high profile mistakes in the last few years?
    When a keeper makes a mistake it will generally give up a goal chance as they are the last line of defence.
    Telling ya now, lloris will be badly missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

If we had to buy a keeper next season, I would buy Rui Patrício from Wolves.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

MrKingsley wrote: »
    I've been saying it for 3/4 years now that we need an upgrade at GK.

He will put us under pressure with sloppy clearances (under no pressure) every game. He doesn't come for crosses/corners and with our inability to win balls in the air thats a problem. And he doesn't stand tall when shots are near him. He falls away with the ball instead. Gets beaten far too often at his near post.

But he'll make a crazy reaction stop and that will make the highlight reels so he is still held in high regard by many.

Jayus, I would not like to see your worst 😀

Think Pat Jennings was our best ever keeper.

Used to catch crosses with one hand :eek:

Super gentle giant with hands like shovels.

He won a record 119 caps for Northern Ireland in an international career which spanned 22 years, he played more than 1,000 games at the top level, was named Footballer of the Year in 1973, won five major trophies, received an MBE and an OBE and even scored a goal in the 1967 Charity Shield.

He was also Spurs Supporters Dublin Branch player of the year in 1973

Clemence was also a fine keeper
    Erik the Viking , anyone remember him

Thorsvedt?

Walker was coming through by the time i was really catching us on MotD and whatnot (kids we used to refresh teletext to find out the scores!)

He was a poor keeper and kept the gig for years

Neil sullivan did a fine job a few years but faded quickly enough

Cudicini was very solid

Friedel likewise, very few mistakes and super from short range and crosses

Robinson was awful. Feet like lead and always beaten from distance, how we kept him first choice for so long I'll never know

Gomes likeable but always had a **** up to match each spectacular save

Lloris came in a between sweeper keeper and catlike reflexes he was ideal, as i said overall definitely in there for players that defined the decade even before pochs team took off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

Hugo owes the club nothing in his peak he was excellent. Since 2017 however he started to make basic errors and always in big games it seemed. He started this season very well but his decline is evident.

If we had to buy a keeper next season, I would buy Rui Patrício from Wolves.

A fine keeper but nearly as old as Hugo.

We need to look at a long term replacement, not just wherever average English keeper is being touted by the press for 40m.

Anyway this is really all bollox talk cos it was an unsupported rumour in a French rag

Anyone watching Ireland game
    Beginning to think we got sold a pup by wolves

• Advertisement

Haha beginning?

I see Tomas Pekhart came on as sub for Czech Republic, anyone remember him at Spurs? Wiki says he has 24 in 30 games for Legia Warsaw this season.

Ormus wrote: »
    Haha beginning?

I see Tomas Pekhart came on as sub for Czech Republic, anyone remember him at Spurs? Wiki says he has 24 in 30 games for Legia Warsaw this season.

Don’t think he ever played a first team game for Spurs, he played for the youth team I think? We loaned him to Southampton afair and then he left

I remember the name well

He was one of a succession of lads who broke records or did very well goal wise in the youth teams

They used get the odd game and would look like the jump to senior level was a big one

I still remember one of em, pasty looking lad, ****e touch, carrying a bit of weight and a head like a big round turnip. First touch in a spurs shirt off his head and ten yards away from him while he looked the other direction for it, i knew straight away hed become the best centre forward of his generation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Yeah he was poor enough tonight.

I remember Mark Travers from a game we played against Bournemouth. Think Travers made his debut. Son got sent off and Sky were raving about Travers' performance. They gave him MOTM. I knew it was hyperbole and that it was more to do with there something being not quite right at Spurs. A few months later Poch was gone.

Travers was garbage tonight. A donkey overly praised for a good game against us when the Poch magic was gone.

I remember Mark Travers from a game we played against Bournemouth. Think Travers made his debut. Son got sent off and Sky were raving about Travers' performance. They gave him MOTM. I knew it was hyperbole and that it was more to do with there something being not quite right at Spurs. A few months later Poch was gone.

Travers was garbage tonight. A donkey overly praised for a good game against us when the Poch magic was gone.

Wow, that is vicious. He’s a 21 year old kid who’s never played at that level and hasn’t played at all in about two months.

• Advertisement

He's still living off that false performance against us after all this time. IIRC Kane was injured and Son had been sent off. The rot had set in behind the scenes. He took the praise that day so why shouldn't he take the criticism tonight?

He's bang average 21 or not. In a few years time when he's making a living in League One they'll still be trotting out that "performance" on his debut against Spurs.

Genuine question: why hasn't he played in two months? He's on loan at Swindon correct? Injury or can't get into the team?

He's still living off that false performance against us after all this time. IIRC Kane was injured and Son had been sent off. The rot had set in behind the scenes. He took the praise that day so why shouldn't he take the criticism tonight?

He's bang average 21 or not. In a few years time when he's making a living in League One they'll still be trotting out that "performance" on his debut against Spurs.

Genuine question: why hasn't he played in two months? He's on loan at Swindon correct? Injury or can't get into the team?

Why would our difficulties have any bearing on a goalkeeper playing well against us? We must have created chances for him to get motm? He can’t control what we do only what he does.

He didn't play well back then. We were rubbish. He wasn't as amazing as made out back then and it was backed up by his "fly goalkeeper" performance tonight. Yes I'm bitter.

He didn't play well back then. We were rubbish. He wasn't as amazing as made out back then and it was backed up by his "fly goalkeeper" performance tonight. Yes I'm bitter.

He had a brilliant game that day.

Who said he’s living off that performance? You’d swear he’d gone on to play for Barcelona from it the way you’re talking.

He has been criticised for tonight. It was noted a few times that he made mistakes. But he’s 21. He’s probably not going to be a top keeper, but you don’t know that yet. He’s an Irish kid. Why hate him?

• Advertisement
Advertisement