Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tottenham Hotspur Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Neil sullivan did a fine job a few years but faded quickly enough
    Cudicini was very solid
    Friedel likewise, very few mistakes and super from short range and crosses
    Robinson was awful. Feet like lead and always beaten from distance, how we kept him first choice for so long I'll never know

Was he really as bad as that? I thought he decent enough.
    Gomes likeable but always had a **** up to match each spectacular save

You left out one important one - Kassy Keller. He wasn't around too long but he did a fine job from what I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Glebee

Was he really as bad as that? I thought he decent enough.

You left out one important one - Kassy Keller. He wasn't around too long but he did a fine job from what I remember.

Robinson dont forget is also leading goal scorer for keepers as well.

Robinson was the shaky foundation that broke the nerve of that very fine young spurs team imo, they were a brilliant attacking outfit and he was letting in every shot that they conceded

He was beatable from all angles, he let in absolutely everything from distance, no dive at all and his reflexes nonexistent. Read that he took a medical at arsenal and registered the lowest reflexes they had seen from a gk.

Took an age to get down to anything also, not surprisingly tbh as he was in shocking condition for most of his time with us.

Saw a stat from his blackburn stint that he saved only 51% of shots over a season, made him statistically the worst keeper measured over a season since figures were kept

He wasnt much better for us than that after an ok start.

So yes he was that bad. I hated him.

In his favour, because i dont like to only speak ill of him and he seems an ok fella:

Fantastic distribution, stopped a lot at close range (sheer bulk a lot to do with that tbh)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Robinson was great for first season or two in my memory, but he went downhill fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Reporter: "What's the possibility of you
    playing for Arsenal next season alongside Martin Odegaard?
    Haaland: "Yeah, Odegaard spoke to me
    about Arsenal's interest but I love my
    current ringtone anytime I receive calls,
    can't change it now.
    Reporter: "What's your ringtone?"
    Haaland: "Champions League anthem."

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Harry 1 goal and 1 assist in England 2-0 win.

I wonder will sky sports run a story about how he might move to a bigger country this summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I wonder will sky sports run a story about how he might move to a bigger country this summer

Ireland maybe? :pac::D

• Advertisement

Dad is a galway man there was a chance once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭jiltloop

We could certainly do with a goal scorer. We've been lost without Robbie Keane since he retired.

Dane Scarlett signs first pro contract

Tottenham have confirmed they have secured the services of young prospect Dane Scarlett until 2023 after his first professional contract was triggered following his 17th birthday.

Though some Spurs fans have expressed their concern at the short-term nature of the deal, it is common practice for academy scholars to have an extra two seasons added before the club will begin to negotiate a longer contract when Scarlett turns 18.

Scarlett recently became the youngest player to represent Spurs in the Premier League when he came on as a substitute in the home win over West Brom aged just 16 years and 320 days.

Tottenham confirmed on Sunday: "We are delighted to announce that Dane Scarlett’s first professional contract with the club has now been formalised. The contract for the young forward will run until 2023, having been triggered following his 17th birthday."

No Smoke without fire...... The lad will leave, and the thing is , not one Spurs fan could blame him ..at all.
    When a lad born and bred Tottenham can't see a future with the club he grew up in, Somethings wrong .. really wrong.
    The highlighted bit below, Does that say that JD didnt see that mentality at WHL? Surely not !

Former Tottenham Hotspur striker Jermain Defoe has become the latest person to call for Harry Kane to leave Spurs for the greater good of his career.
    The rumour mill has gone into overdrive surrounding Kane’s potential departure from Tottenham, the club’s recent Europa League humiliation at the hands of Dynamo Zagreb yet another example of an opportunity for silverware missed by Kane.
    The England captain has previously made headlines with comments on his future, as recently as last year Kane conceded he wouldn’t stay at Tottenham “for the sake of it.”
    Though his talent is indisputable, Kane is staring down the barrel of his eighth year trophyless as Tottenham’s main marksman. Up there with the likes of Lewandowski and Suarez when it comes to elite forwards, noise surrounding a potential exit continues to grow louder by the week.

A host of former Tottenham players have called on Kane to depart and join a side that will challenge for the most important silverware club football has to offer on a regular basis.
    Speaking to talkSPORT, Defoe revealed: “If you’d have asked me this question a few years ago, I’d have said he should have stayed there, what he’s done at the football club – he’s a legend.
    “Since I’ve come away from that and gone to Rangers, I’ve seen that mentality and played for another big club, the importance of playing for that club and winning every game, that mentality, the standards and demands.
    “You have to win and bring silverware, otherwise it’s not good enough. When you actually achieve that and the feeling you get from that, wow man. I wish I had that earlier on in my career.
    Defoe continued: “If Harry Kane wants that and wants to win trophies then it looks like he has to go.
    “I don’t think it will be easy for him to leave and he might be looking at it and want to finish off being the highest goalscorer in the club’s history and see where that takes him.
    “He can hopefully win a few trophies, but if he’s really craving medals then he really has to go.”
    Kane has refused to rule out the idea of leaving Tottenham in the near future if it meant being in the race for trophies consistently.
    “It’s important that all my focus is on the two England games coming up now and the rest of the season with Spurs and then the Euros," Kane claimed.
    “To be thinking about speculation or rumours would be damaging in terms of my own performance.
    “I always like to be focused on one goal and one job and that’s to finish strong with Spurs, win these qualifiers with England and hopefully go on and have a great Euros.

“Look, I try to stay out of that speculation as much as possible.
    “I’m fully focused on doing the job on the pitch from now until the end of the summer and then we’ll see where we go from there.”
    Kane has another three years on his current Tottenham contract before it expires in 2024, meaning it will take a jaw-dropping transfer sum to tempt Daniel Levy into parting ways with Spurs’ most prized asset this summer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Absolutely no chance he goes anywhere this year. No team will be able to afford the price Levy very reasonably would demand. Given his continued form, age and contract length, it would take an offer of €180+ mill to make Levy consider it, which won't happen in this current climate.

Also, the rumour mill goes into overdrive when someone wears a different colour jacket, so best to just ignore it.

Kiith wrote: »
    Absolutely no chance he goes anywhere this year. No team will be able to afford the price Levy very reasonably would demand. Given his continued form, age and contract length, it would take an offer of €180+ mill to make Levy consider it, which won't happen in this current climate.

Also, the rumour mill goes into overdrive when someone wears a different colour jacket, so best to just ignore it.

Madrid or Barca would deffo offer 80-100 mil and a player or two.

And once a player says anything at all that is hinting at being a bit indecisive, (like Kane was) , the media will hound him, the story, and the club for the rest of the year.

80-100 mill plus some of their deadwood would never be accepted though. Levy will want cash, and nothing but cash.

As for Kane, he's said something similar every year, and every year we get the same rumours. They may prove true eventually, but i refuse to give credence to any of them till someone legitimate actually links him with a move away.

Wouldn't blame him for looking for a more away tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

every year the media try to sell Kane

every week, talksport wheel out some former player, ask them a loaded question and then twist the answer to suit their anti spurs agenda

I fully believe we will get one more season with Kane, in that interview he also states he can play well into his mid thirties

I think his spurs future is tied to Jose, Jose goes Kane goes

levy needs to clear the bad eggs this summer

Ohh i certainly hope yee are right lads, just anticipating the inevitable.

Whereas at the start of this season, i would not have believed any of the BS rumours peddled by the usual suspects, but the way our season unraveled so spectactularly , i would be worried HK has thought "fcuk this, get me outta here"

• Advertisement

Oh i wouldn't be surprised if he was considering an exit, but i just don't see it happening from a financial point of view.

Don't think any of us would blame him if he did go either. He's given everything to the club, and he deserves a few trophies.

Thing is if mourinho stays and no backing we carry on as is, kane will see that

If mourinho goes its a rebuild anyway, kane will see that

Thats another year or two with no ideology and his best years passing

Mourinho stays and gets backed seems the best outcome to me for kanes future at any rate.

Its possibly one of those bad news items- and i do think this quote has a different tenor than previous years tbh- where mourinho will like it, levy wont and the fans won't

Yeah, if Jose goes Kane will request a transfer i imagine. I can't see him wanting to stay through another restart.

Its of a piece with bales comments last week for me, not news and not necessarily a bad thing

Bales putting pressure on madrid to find a solution, that might well suit us

Kane putting pressure on levy to deliver big and early in the summer- this comment isnt for jose

Levy needs to sell players quickly to clear out that dressing room, one of his huge failings in the poch era

Whether purchases are for mourinho or another manager no biggie imo

Its of a piece with bales comments last week for me, not news and not necessarily a bad thing

Bales putting pressure on madrid to find a solution, that might well suit us

Kane putting pressure on levy to deliver big and early in the summer- this comment isnt for jose

Levy needs to sell players quickly to clear out that dressing room, one of his huge failings in the poch era

Whether purchases are for mourinho or another manager no biggie imo

Thats a good way to look at it.
    I didnt think of that.

ALSO-
    JD released a video this morning clarifying what happened with TalkSpurt - He said he was misquoted ( but didnt really do a good job of explaining what he meant ?)

Backtracking after a bit of a backlash .

But he did say "it looks like hes gonna have to go to win trophies" ...
    Both vids here .

https://punditarena.com/football/darraghmurphy/jermain-defoe-record-straight-harry-kane/

Twitter reports that a naming rights deal worth £250m is in the works with BA

Thats the kind of thing would ease things considerably

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Yeah, if Jose goes Kane will request a transfer i imagine. I can't see him wanting to stay through another restart.

I would think Son not signing a new contract would be a bigger issue than Jose. That would surely be a last straw.

How brilliant was that Jack Charlton documentary. Oh the memories.

Madrid tell Bale he wont play for them again.

Enter Levy stage left.

Tho I've to be honest the guy has a lot to prove between now and end of season before I'd think about 300k a week even on a free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Glebee wrote: »
    How brilliant was that Jack Charlton documentary. Oh the memories.

NOt that jack had anything to do with us do you honestly think he was brilliant? My answer is i think he was literally the worst irish manager in modern history...yes worse than Stan.!!!

Enter Levy stage left.

Tho I've to be honest the guy has a lot to prove between now and end of season before I'd think about 300k a week even on a free.

Seeing as i was the only one to predict that Gareth was the only one to come to us, I will stick my head above the parapet and say he will be in WHL for the entirety of 2022.

• Advertisement

joeguevara wrote: »
    NOt that jack had anything to do with us do you honestly think he was brilliant? My answer is i think he was literally the worst irish manager in modern history...yes worse than Stan.!!!

Sorry Joe, did not say Jack was brillant, documentary was.:D Sad to9 see anybody end up with dementia.

Enter Levy stage left.

Seeing as i was the only one to predict that Gareth was the only one to come to us, I will stick my head above the parapet and say he will be in WHL for the entirety of 2022.

AFTV's Claude died today.

Not a fan of his at all, but he had his demons and his opinions caused himself a lot of unwarranted/unneeded abuse.

( they got rid of him after his Son dvd jibe)

greenspurs wrote: »
    AFTV's Claude died today.

Not a fan of his at all, but he had his demons and his opinions caused himself a lot of unwarranted/unneeded abuse.

( they got rid of him after his Son dvd jibe)

I liked Claude:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

I met Claude in Holloway Road two years ago. My mate was a Gooner and he had great chat with us. Sound bloke. Mate told me later he was disgusted when he told him I was a yid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

joeguevara wrote: »

I had dinner with two of Jacks team at a fundraiser, Liverpool players who won league titles and European cups. I put it to them that they were better footballers than the tactics allowed. They completely shot me down, said they absolutely loved the simplicity and the effectiveness of the system.

Teams figured us out eventually and learnt how to play around us but it was almighty effective for a good 7 or 8 years. If Jack had only said “put ‘em under gegenpressure” he might be hailed as a genius.

jack was a genius

he invented the high press in 88

and when teams tried to press us Packie kicked it over their heads

before his time was our jack

Deise Vu wrote: »
    I had dinner with two of Jacks team at a fundraiser, Liverpool players who won league titles and European cups. I put it to them that they were better footballers than the tactics allowed. They completely shot me down, said they absolutely loved the simplicity and the effectiveness of the system.

Teams figured us out eventually and learnt how to play around us but it was almighty effective for a good 7 or 8 years. If Jack had only said “put ‘em under gegenpressure” he might be hailed as a genius.

funny , i met Niall Quinn in a pub in North London a long time ago (when players drank with fans) and he said the same thing

they loved playing under jack and his simplicity was genius

The FA, in their infinite wisdom, have given us a midweek game against Southampton before our cup final against City. Marvelous decision.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jonathandveal83/status/1376898668482158592

The FA, in their infinite wisdom, have given us a midweek game against Southampton before our cup final against City. Marvelous decision.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jonathandveal83/status/1376898668482158592

in fairness City are playing that Wed night also ?
    Why shouldnt we ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Troy parrot on in the Ireland friendly ..

Robbie Brady off injured after only 20 mins

in fairness City are playing that Wed night also ?
    Why shouldnt we ?

Ah here, take your logic and f-off :pac:

Didn't actually realise they also had a game, so i'll take my outrage elsewhere :P

Glebee wrote: »
    Sorry Joe, did not say Jack was brillant, documentary was.:D Sad to9 see anybody end up with dementia.

Apologies i misunderstood. But you're completely right about the effect of dementia, especially the impact on families. I was reading about the 66 winning team and the shocking statistic that 5 of the starting 11 have been impacted by the disease and many more squad players. If you had 2 squads of 22, the likelihood was that 1 player would be effected so when you read this is at least 600% more it is a matter of concern. The only thing that I can think of is the weight of the ball and the repetitive heading of same.

Thoughts are with the people who are effected and families. I have 4 or 5 family members in the same position so I know the hurt it causes.

https://twitter.com/thespursweb/status/1377191575449694208?s=19

Very interesting results, prob best viewed in context with other fan responses maybe

https://twitter.com/thespursweb/status/1377191575449694208?s=19

Very interesting results, prob best viewed in context with other fan responses maybe

They forgot 5) 41.23% of Spurs fans are away with the fairies..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

62.3% of statistics are made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

golfball37 wrote: »
    62.3% of statistics are made up.

are you sure its not 96.4%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Skip captioning England in the u 21 right now on sky sports

We will have some team next year .....

Skriniar and Dunk and Aarons at the back.
    Dybala , Joachim Andersen ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

We will have some team next year .....

Skriniar and Dunk and Aarons at the back.
    Dybala , Joachim Andersen ...

Joachim Andersen could be decent and reasonably cheap.

Advertisement