Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tottenham Hotspur Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭golfball37

if they get rid so be it, but there is also min 5 players who need to go too
    Ali, Winks, Sissoko, Dier, Doherty

if they get rid and then keep the above players for another manager then to hell with them, the above lads are not good enough no matter who is in charge

and who do we get instead, to my mind there is only 2 candidates , Allegri or Nagelsman, everthing else is a waste of time

I watched palace v Everton yesterday and Zaha terrorized them, strong, fast, skillfull,

I watched Wolves V West Ham, my god wolves defence was worse than ours and then you look at the west ham team and u think, how the hell are these boys in top 4

When they went one up away to wolves they attacked until they were 3-0 up. We sat back and waited for an equalizer.
    That’s why

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

With the exception of City most other teams have looked beatable on any given day this season. And I think no fans being in stadiums has made some grounds e.g. Anfield, much less intimidating for away teams. No team, even City, have a particularly strong defence so if teams actually have a go and attack their opposition there is a good chance they will get some joy. Some of the results this year have been unbelievable because of those defences e.g. Villa hammering Pool, us hammering United, West Brom trouncing Chelsea. So, given our attack, it really was a great chance to get back into the top 4 this year but that looks unlikely at this point.
    And for me Jose looking to sit back and defend leads, rather than looking to increase the leads, has been at the heart of our problems. He will deny that he gave those instructions but you just have to see the substitutions he makes when we go ahead, its nearly always taking off an offensive player and replace them with a defensive player.
    Bringing on Bale with 3 minutes to go on Sunday was an absolute joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Charliebull

looking increasingly like his time is up
    not sure how this will all end but id say not too good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Lad GAGA wrote: »
    With the exception of City most other teams have looked beatable on any given day this season. And I think no fans being in stadiums has made some grounds e.g. Anfield, much less intimidating for away teams. No team, even City, have a particularly strong defence so if teams actually have a go and attack their opposition there is a good chance they will get some joy. Some of the results this year have been unbelievable because of those defences e.g. Villa hammering Pool, us hammering United, West Brom trouncing Chelsea. So, given our attack, it really was a great chance to get back into the top 4 this year but that looks unlikely at this point.
    And for me Jose looking to sit back and defend leads, rather than looking to increase the leads, has been at the heart of our problems. He will deny that he gave those instructions but you just have to see the substitutions he makes when we go ahead, its nearly always taking off an offensive player and replace them with a defensive player.
    Bringing on Bale with 3 minutes to go on Sunday was an absolute joke.

I take your point but he brought on bale son and lamela.
    They are three of our most attacking players.
    The fault lies with the defensive players we have and the constant individual mistakes that lead to goals and lost points by these players.
    Would be an interesting stat to see how many chances we have given up due to defensive error (if you can even calculate that).
    Maybe we have to start looking at the defensive coaches? Club legend and all that but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Said at the time that if we needed to rebuild the squad then Jose was not the man for it.

Six months ago we got 10 points from United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool. Conceding one goal in the process. Whilst it wasn't exhilarating football(united excluded) there was a clear plan in place. Sissoko and Hojbjerg sitting deep and covering the spaces between the CBs and FBs. A clear and simple plan that the players bought into.

To have gone from that to headless chickens in the space of 4/5 matches is mind boggling.

A few things play into it for me.

1) the story of ndombele being "trusted" by Mourinho to play as a DM. Great if he is but is means that Hojbjerg has to cover the entire width of the pitch in defense as opposed to half. It's no coincidence that his play has suffered since Sissoko has stopped playing

2) the pure lack of desire to kill teams off when ahead. It's not like we miss chances when 1-0 up. We don't even make them and show no desire to.

3) the idea that by Lloris passing the ball to a CB so they can hoof it is "playing out from the back". It means we've stretched the whole field and the defence is in terrible position when (not if) we don't win the second ball in midfield.

4) a blind man could see that Toby is our best CB. If he's fallen out with Jose then so be it but Jose needs to swallow his pride because despite this mess of 3/4 months we still have a chance to make the CL.

5) Shocking, schoolboy level individual mistakes

It's all so frustrating. The lack of a clear plan since the Liverpool away game is frightening.

Jose has had 85 games as manager now. He should at least know his best defence. And know how he wants the team to play when in possession.

Some of my thoughts on it anyway. I could go on for days really.

TLDR: The team looks clueless and that has to come from instructions. Individuals have not played to their level(or, even more worryingly, maybe they have). Not sure sacking Jose is the way forward

No leader in the defence.

Hojbjerg was the guy for a while but hes tired and getting disheartened

Kane aside no player ahead of hojbjerg has been good enough over a season, not at working hard enough, not at keeping the ball, not at chasing it not at passing, not at pressing

Leaders. Performers. Sorely lacking. No applied talent, no shame.

No leader in the defence.

Hojbjerg was the guy for a while but hes tired and getting disheartened

Kane aside no player ahead of hojbjerg has been good enough over a season, not at working hard enough, not at keeping the ball, not at chasing it not at passing, not at pressing

Leaders. Performers. Sorely lacking. No applied talent, no shame.

I agree completely. This is where Mourinho has to be held accountable however. Its not like he's only in the door. Like I said this is 85 matches.

He knows this is his last shot in England. And he's not gone after Levy in the press at all. He knows how fine a line he has.

The only time Sanchez has played with some confidence is beside Toby. So suck up your pride and play the 2 of them for the rest of the season. Or play toby and Rodon and at least give the poor lad a chance. But make your mind up.

It's been half way house for the entire season and the players are clearly suffering because of it.

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Said at the time that if we needed to rebuild the squad then Jose was not the man for it.

Six months ago we got 10 points from United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool. Conceding one goal in the process. Whilst it wasn't exhilarating football(united excluded) there was a clear plan in place. Sissoko and Hojbjerg sitting deep and covering the spaces between the CBs and FBs. A clear and simple plan that the players bought into.

To have gone from that to headless chickens in the space of 4/5 matches is mind boggling.

1) the story of ndombele being "trusted" by Mourinho to play as a DM. Great if he is but is means that Hojbjerg has to cover the entire width of the pitch in defense as opposed to half. It's no coincidence that his play has suffered since Sissoko has stopped playing

2) the pure lack of desire to kill teams off when ahead. It's not like we miss chances when 1-0 up. We don't even make them and show no desire to.

3) the idea that by Lloris passing the ball to a CB so they can hoof it is "playing out from the back". It means we've stretched the whole field and the defence is in terrible position when (not if) we don't win the second ball in midfield.

4) a blind man could see that Toby is our best CB. If he's fallen out with Jose then so be it but Jose needs to swallow his pride because despite this mess of 3/4 months we still have a chance to make the CL.

It's all so frustrating. The lack of a clear plan since the Liverpool away game is frightening.

Jose has had 85 games as manager now. He should at least know his best defence. And know how he wants the team to play when in possession.

TLDR: The team looks clueless and that has to come from instructions. Individuals have not played to their level(or, even more worryingly, maybe they have). Not sure sacking Jose is the way forward

Great post, apart from keeping Jose on, i would agree with all of the above and Snoops post. I think your point about Sissoko is interesting and in some ways sums up Jose. He was playing well and was a key part of the way the team were playing at that time and then Jose dropped him. I know Sissoko pisses off a lot of people but on form he is a formidable midfielder. I think Jose has alienated so many players by the way he has treated them that there is no way back for him. Rodon is a prime example of that. Doesn't play him for games and then throws him in against Villa when he was pissed off with everyone else and, guess what, he might turn out to be a really good player. Certainly has an aerial presence that neither Sanchez or Dier has.
    Despite everything we could still make top 4, but everything has to go in our favour from here until the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Jesus lads, the way some lads turn their opinion. Im trying to not bother because, why bother...

But Now Sissoko is whats missing in our team ?!?? Really.

Hes not a footballer, he cant pass , shoot, cross, and barely tackle , but can run !?
    Come on will yee....
    Sissoko was dropped when Winks, then NDombele, then Moura, then Lamela found form.
    Out of Sissoko and Hojbjerg , who would you drop ??

I know fickleness is part and parcel of football, but thats crazy talk...

Theres usually more than one factor at play.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

In our CL run a couple of seasons ago Sissoko was arguably our player of the season. So to have the character to turn his form around from being potentially the worst player we have ever signed to being undroppable and to win over the fans tells you a lot about the guys character. He will never get you goals, is not a creative player, but can pass the ball and, on his game, can provide cover for the defence and is a massive physical presence with a great engine. He was also getting games in a good French national team. His current form is ****e and he alone is not the only problem with the team but there is a good (not great) player there in my (minority) view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

If Sissoko was through on an open goal with no one to beat, id back him to miss. Hes not a footballer, hes a pure engine. Cant remember what hes form was like for Newcastle but was surprised when we bought him for some reason. He started off poor but fair play to him he turned it around and had a great spell of form a while ago. Hes reverted to form now and is atrocious.

greenspurs wrote: »
    Jesus lads, the way some lads turn their opinion. Im trying to not bother because, why bother...

But Now Sissoko is whats missing in our team ?!?? Really.

Hes not a footballer, he cant pass , shoot, cross, and barely tackle , but can run !?
    Come on will yee....
    Sissoko was dropped when Winks, then NDombele, then Moura, then Lamela found form.
    Out of Sissoko and Hojbjerg , who would you drop ??

I know fickleness is part and parcel of football, but thats crazy talk...

Theres usually more than one factor at play.

My opinion has certainly not turned. Just saying it how I see it.

I'm not saying Sissoko is what's missing. I'm saying that by taking him out of the team Hojbjerg is being asked to do an awful lot more work.

And of course there's more than one factor at play. That's why I made a list of what I think some of the issues are

Its all about opinions lads, and everyone has their own take on things. I absolutely get all the Sissoko views on here and realise I'm in a minority of one :) but I agree with Mr Kingsley on the work Holjberg has to do when he has a Ndombele, Lo Celso or an Alli in there with him. Its partly about the balance of the team but anyway let's see what team Jose puts out against United.

My opinion has certainly not turned. Just saying it how I see it.

I'm not saying Sissoko is what's missing. I'm saying that by taking him out of the team Hojbjerg is being asked to do an awful lot more work.

And of course there's more than one factor at play. That's why I made a list of what I think some of the issues are

Even when supporters were 'demanding' we play more attcking football ?

"Why has he sissoko on there with Hojbjerg ?"

As i said... i try not to bother ..... but..:rolleyes:

Some very good points .

So would you agree.

Its more on the players not performing, than the managements selections?

I would be of the opinion that it 25% management + 75% players.

right, He plays Sanchez and Dire/Dier.... complete clusterfcuk..

"Why is he playing them !!?!?!"

He plays Dire/Dier and Toby , not bad , but Dire/Dier still capable of anything!

He should play Rodon and Toby.....

Rodon has a bit of a mare .

Play toby and Sanchez ffs !!!

Sanchez does the usual.....

I think Toby and Rodon are our best pairing.
    Toby played 3 games for Belgium during the break, and at 'his age' ( :eek: )
    would he be able for another so soon (i dont understand whats behinds Jose excuse for not playing him ??)

Thats just one pairing, go through the whole team and its similar....
    Try those 2 together. one fcuks up 2-3 games, and is gone, next player in , more fcuk ups....

Look at all the players that are there when Poch was booted, and are still there, and we are getting the same displays on the pitch...

NO manager in world football could form a winning mentality and squad at WHL ..... No manager.....
    I think the players still there are :
    Hugo , Aurier, Sanchez, Dire/Dier , Alli, Winks , Lamela, Moura , Son , Kane, Sissoko, Davies, Toby. (i think :confused: ??)

Now, go through them, analyse their season, their last 18mths.
    Apart from Kane, and Son.
    Who else has performed admirably? Who has given their all for the badge? the team,? the club ?

Not many out of that bunch.

What manager could get them performing?? I dont think any.
    I thought Jose could/would, the top coach in world football arguably , but i should have known better ......

It shows its a game of opinions lads, cos i agree with all of ye!

It shows its a game of opinions lads, cos i agree with all of ye!

Get off that fence !!
    the farmer wants to paint it ...... :p:D

• Advertisement

Even when supporters were 'demanding' we play more attcking football ?

"Why has he sissoko on there with Hojbjerg ?"

As i said... i try not to bother ..... but..:rolleyes:

I've never demanded we play more attacking football. All I've wanted is a clear plan in place. We had one for 5-6 games and it was working. Obviously we will need to alter our play depending on the opposition but for it to get so ragged so quickly was remarkable.

I thought at the beginning of the season that it would be a great option to play Hojbjerg, NDombele and Lo Celso against teams sitting in. But we don't play through midfield when they are on anyway. We bypass them and they are left chasing shadows.

It's often said during games that our Mids never show for the ball from the defenders. Cos it happens every game I have to believe that they are the instructions given to the players

Some very good points .

So would you agree.

Its more on the players not performing, than the managements selections?

I would be of the opinion that it 25% management + 75% players.

right, He plays Sanchez and Dire/Dier.... complete clusterfcuk..

"Why is he playing them !!?!?!"

He plays Dire/Dier and Toby , not bad , but Dire/Dier still capable of anything!

He should play Rodon and Toby.....

Rodon has a bit of a mare .

Play toby and Sanchez ffs !!!

Sanchez does the usual.....

I think Toby and Rodon are our best pairing.
    Toby played 3 games for Belgium during the break, and at 'his age' ( :eek: )
    would he be able for another so soon (i dont understand whats behinds Jose excuse for not playing him ??)

Thats just one pairing, go through the whole team and its similar....
    Try those 2 together. one fcuks up 2-3 games, and is gone, next player in , more fcuk ups....

Look at all the players that are there when Poch was booted, and are still there, and we are getting the same displays on the pitch...

NO manager in world football could form a winning mentality and squad at WHL ..... No manager.....
    I think the players still there are :
    Hugo , Aurier, Sanchez, Dire/Dier , Alli, Winks , Lamela, Moura , Son , Kane, Sissoko, Davies, Toby. (i think :confused: ??)

Now, go through them, analyse their season, their last 18mths.
    Apart from Kane, and Son.
    Who else has performed admirably? Who has given their all for the badge? the team,? the club ?

Not many out of that bunch.

What manager could get them performing?? I dont think any.
    I thought Jose could/would, the top coach in world football arguably , but i should have known better ......

Fair points. That's why I never though Jose was the man for a rebuild. Getting rid of him now isn't necessarily the answer though. Would send a terrible message to the squad and in particular Kane.

I see players lacking confidence and assuredness - mainly at the back. The fact that we have no where near a settled back line at this stage of the season is appalling. Whilst the players haven't been performing it can't help that they are playing beside different lads each week.

For example, one game it's Aurier Sanchez Toby Reggie and the next Tanganga Sanchez Rodon Reggie. So Sanchez has gone from just worrying about his own game (which is bad enough this year) to having to be the leader of the next game. It's just not possible. And you could swap in Dier for him and it would be the same thing.

The players are not performing and that's on them.

But they are not being put in positions/situations that allows them to play their best by any stretch. That's on the management

Again agree with most of that Mr Kingsley. How are players, especially defenders, expected to build up a proper on field understanding with their fellow defenders if they are not getting game time together? As I've said before his treatment of Toby and Rodon has been disgraceful. Toby far and away our best defender and Rodon the unknown guy with potential but who was shunned by Jose after not getting any meaningful sort of first team exposure at all. To leave him out of the Europa League squad for the knockout stages for the reason he gave was scandalous. How was he supposed to build up his confidence/experience if he wasn't getting a look in? And I haven't read one post anywhere from journalists or fans questionning that Toby isn't our best CB, everyone is in agreement apart from the one who matters most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Fair points. That's why I never though Jose was the man for a rebuild. Getting rid of him now isn't necessarily the answer though. Would send a terrible message to the squad and in particular Kane.

I see players lacking confidence and assuredness - mainly at the back. The fact that we have no where near a settled back line at this stage of the season is appalling. Whilst the players haven't been performing it can't help that they are playing beside different lads each week.

For example, one game it's Aurier Sanchez Toby Reggie and the next Tanganga Sanchez Rodon Reggie. So Sanchez has gone from just worrying about his own game (which is bad enough this year) to having to be the leader of the next game. It's just not possible. And you could swap in Dier for him and it would be the same thing.

The players are not performing and that's on them.

But they are not being put in positions/situations that allows them to play their best by any stretch. That's on the management

I think he'll be gone in the summer, I don't think even winning the cup will save him when we fail to qualify for next season's CL.

Some other mug will be given the job and will be unfairly expected to get us back into the CL with a SH1T transfer budget, restrictive wage structure and maximum age rules, ENIC don't like low resale values for their 'assets'.

and so it goes on and on until we get new owners.....

The Poch period was great but even at it's height, deep down I knew it would be brief and the owners would f**k it up in the end.

Oh, and we're not winning that cup either.

We should have a game tonight but we don't because of our pathetic footballers who let us all down again in Zagreb. PRICKS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭abff

Am I the only one who sees the correlation between how well (or otherwise) we have played in recent weeks and whether or not Bale has bothered to turn up?

abff wrote: »
    Am I the only one who sees the correlation between how well (or otherwise) we have played in recent weeks and whether or not Bale has bothered to turn up?

We played well when he played well ?
    We played badly when he played badly ?

We played well with him?
    We played badly with him?

We played well without him?
    We played badly without him ?

• Advertisement

The problem with a team built around a managers charisma and personality is that they dont look very good when that fails and the manager leaves and a new manager with a different personality comes in

Half the fanbase and team still mourning poch is a long way from ideal because it deflects from the base performance issue- players not doing their jobs very well.

Can a manager make a player do their job very well? He can encourage, motivate, threaten, educate, discipline or remove.

Poch good at this, jose presumes if you bring him in you win things at 15m a year that the players should come ready to perform their jobs very well.

A step up from that the manager can work out tactics and steps that mitigate a players weaknesses and accentuate their strengths

Poch good at this, jose good at this imo but he will not keep going back to work on a player who keeps failing at level 1 above. He just thinks they should man up and perform, his tactics are perfect.

A step up from that a manager can change mentality so that the players get it done.

Poch good at this to an extent, jose good at this to an extent, but the gaps are at the critical level where poch made bad players who needed their basic jobs fed to them into components in a top four unit.

Jose takes good players who do not need their basic jobs explained to them and turns them into serial champions.

Horses for courses but levy thought that this club had outgrown poch and that he couldnt progress us any further- in fact the club was all along a top eight outfit plugged completely into a manager's methods and enjoying the efficiency benefits of that but the dependency comes with the cost we see now

Underlying problem is a chairman who says he wants leagues and cups on midtable net spend who failed to recognise that our position under poch was a ceiling and not a platform

imo, and i acknowledge that its a matter of opinion, levy can still make a correct decision here and salvage things by backing jose by signing jose/champion level players, which would also match his stated ambitions

Failure to do so will not result in a poch-like top four but just missing out- it will result in disaster because jose is not a manager who works with bad players

Excellently put Snoop

Im watching liverpool villa and its reminding me why i cannot watch other football these days

Two teams playing sensible football competently, decent passing and movement, nobody getting caught on the ball

Its absolutely painful stuff when i know ill be watching spurs tomorrow and eight of our starting eleven will not be able to pass, control or shield the ball, tackle or track.

Its absolutely sickening what individuals are getting away with in our shirt, and have been getting away with for years

Im watching liverpool villa and its reminding me why i cannot watch other football these days

Two teams playing sensible football competently, decent passing and movement, nobody getting caught on the ball

Its absolutely painful stuff when i know ill be watching spurs tomorrow and eight of our starting eleven will not be able to pass, control or shield the ball, tackle or track.

Its absolutely sickening what individuals are getting away with in our shirt, and have been getting away with for years

thought u were a Fulham fan now:)

If only, charlie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

United have scored more goals in the last 10 minutes then anyone else.
    Spurs have conceded more goals in the last 10 minutes then anyone else.

Today's gonna suck, isn't it? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Kiith wrote: »
    United have scored more goals in the last 10 minutes then anyone else.
    Spurs have conceded more goals in the last 10 minutes then anyone else.

Today's gonna suck, isn't it? :o

Unfortunately I think you are probably right. I dont think I can bring myself to watch it!

Have to admit I don’t have a good feeling about today. Hope I’m proved wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭abff

We played well when he played well ?
    We played badly when he played badly ?

We played well with him?
    We played badly with him?

We played well without him?
    We played badly without him ?

I’m not referring to the season as a whole - just the brief purple patch we had when Bale was on fire. Then he seemed to go back into his shell when we started losing again. It looks like cause and effect to me, although I’m not sure which is which.

Dont feel like watching this one bit. So many players letting us down

If he starts Sanchez today we’ll then I will have lost a huge chunk of faith in Jose.

My guess is - Lloris, Aurier, Sanchez, Dier, Reggie, Hojbjerg, Ndombele, Son, Moura, Bale, Kane.

I'd rather see Toby and Rodon, but i doubt it.

West Ham destroying Leicester. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,007 ✭✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Sanchez dropped. Dier back in.

Still no Toby

Tanganga benched for Aurier.

Big Vinnie out, Son starts.

Still no Toby

And the next day, dier dropped and Sanchez back.Jose expecting miracles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Son badly needs a performance. He's been absolutely awful for way too long now

Still no Toby

Ah ffs!
    Dier?
    What is going on with Jose vs Toby?

Dier to "foul" Fernandes for a penalty at some point today.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Kiith wrote: »
    Dier to "foul" Fernandes for a penalty at some point today.

I’m sick of watching that ^%##{ take penalties!!

next 90 mins will tell us if these players want CL or back Jose

give todays results there are 2 spots up for grabs

Reguilon such a lovely mover on the front foot.

Hes been in and out of games the past few months and hes vital

Yes Dier will let us down but lets not pretend aurier isnt also a timebomb

Never seen such a rotten player gain such stature whenever he is dropped.

Still playing kickouts short from the back

I see no basis for this approach, it causes three or four problems every game with the attributes of our defenders and the unwillingness of our central midfield to collect

Passing is quick and zippy in the midfield/attack tho

Why thats not a VAR check for Pogba elbow would be an interesting discussion

Sons passing very poor so far

Edit lo celso also sloppy

• Advertisement

Seems to be a bit of niggle in it.

Advertisement