Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tottenham Hotspur Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Whats the significance of the premier League to Spurs or the other 5 teams if this goes ahead?

If you're not in contention of winning the league by Christmas, and assuming you're not close to relegation, then it's just a bunch of Mickey mouse games to facilitate the Super League

Yep this my biggest issue with it. 2 or 3 of the “Super” clubs could be out of contention with 20 games to go and then just playing the reserves in the league for the rest of the season, which just makes the whole league ridiculous.

The new proposed Super League also won’t be as good as the current Champions League. There will be even less knockout rounds than currently, and very little variety in teams.

Ive not read up, is it clear what the clubs involved would do if qualifying for cl- waive their spot?

If so ok thats a change

But a lot of fans always decried that "top four" was a legitimate aim for clubs too!

Ask keano how he feels about celebrating fourth, if you get me

Leicester winning the league was extraordinary, but youll be waiting for decades to see similar again. The epl is traded between clubs owned by pension funds, saudis and oligarchs, staffed by managers who merely serve to project manage or take the fall for mercenaries who couldnt care less about the entity who bid most for their services.

Crying "halt" now just strikes me as a bit too little too late

Playing real madrid every year at the amazon london arena sounds like not the worst next step tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Ive not read up, is it clear what the clubs involved would do if qualifying for cl- waive their spot?

If so ok thats a change

But a lot of fans always decried that "top four" was a legitimate aim for clubs too!

Ask keano how he feels about celebrating fourth, if you get me

Leicester winning the league was extraordinary, but youll be waiting for decades to see similar again. The epl is traded between clubs owned by pension funds, saudis and oligarchs, staffed by managers who merely serve to project manage or take the fall for mercenaries who couldnt care less about the entity who bid most for their services.

Crying "halt" now just strikes me as a bit too little too late

Playing real madrid every year at the amazon london arena sounds like not the worst next step tbh

If this goes ahead the champions League becomes redundant, therefore the premier League becomes redundant.

I robbed this from a poster in the United forum but he's absolutely spot-on...

football has been heavily influenced by money in the last 40 years and it has exaggerated problems with competitive fairness. But, it has never eliminated the chances of any club to go from non-league to Champions League. This Super League format stops that.

Ok and i tske the point but....what actually happens the champions league?

It just stops?

Said it already but if this leads to us being readmitted, bankrupt and playing youth players in the fifth tier, id actually feel like id have a club to care about again.

Ok and i tske the point but....what actually happens the champions league?

It just stops?

No, it becomes the spectacle that is the Europa League is now. And let's be honest who really wants to watch that?

And what happens when nobody wants to watch that? nobody then wants to pay for it. Then winning the champions League gets you a prize money consisting of a pint and a packet of crisps. Nothing good will come of this. It won't happen. The more you think about it the less sense it makes.

I dunno, it just sounds to me like the idea from the esl clubs is that they no longer partake in cl/ul, those qualifying spots then go on to other clubs who will im sure be happy to take em

There will be a new continental prestige comp that everyone will watch on weeknights so while i agree that the interest wont be there for villa/twente in the now-discredited cl its not like itll make much difference to those watchin utd-real just with different music

I dunno, it just sounds to me like the idea from the esl clubs is that they no longer partake in cl/ul, those qualifying spots then go on to other clubs who will im sure be happy to take em

There will be a new continental prestige comp that everyone will watch on weeknights so while i agree that the interest wont be there for villa/twente in the now-discredited cl its not like itll make much difference to those watchin utd-real just with different music

Yes but 15 of the 20 teams have a guaranteed spot... Forever! It's a monopoly.

People will watch the new champions League in the same way they watch Europa League... in that they don't really. The revenues from Champions league will then fall through the floor. Then other European competitions will be made redundant completely.

Dundalk making millions from their European adventures... Cheerio. That ain't happening any more with the squeeze on prize monies.

This affects everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭golfball37

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Yes but 15 of the 20 teams have a guaranteed spot... Forever! It's a monopoly.

People will watch the new champions League in the same way they watch Europa League... in that they don't really. The revenues from Champions league will then fall through the floor. Then other European competitions will be made redundant completely.

Dundalk making millions from their European adventures... Cheerio. That ain't happening any more with the squeeze on prize monies.

This affects everyone.
    Why the need for all that money in the game in the first place? The sport needs a good purge to be honest. It’s no longer accessible to the ordinary punter in England as it stands. Having teenage millionaires who have hardly played a first team match is insanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

golfball37 wrote: »
    Why the need for all that money in the game in the first place? The sport needs a good purge to be honest. It’s no longer accessible to the ordinary punter in England as it stands. Having teenage millionaires who have hardly played a first team match is insanity.

But you do realise that its mostly 'the ordinary punter' who is paying the teenage guy the big money?

By him paying for a Sky/BT Sports package, purchasing merchandise, buying season tickets (if he can still afford one), etc.

These players have been getting mega rich for a decade or more now, all off the back of the fans who have been happy to pay. The wages for the players isn't coming out of the wallets of the Glazers, Levy, Abramovich, Kroenke, FSG.

Until fans say 'no more' and stop paying, it'll continue.

This new ESL is nothing if people don't pay subscriptions to watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I get that Spurs kind of had to join this if the other top 5 in the PL were doing it (and i'm not for a minute suggesting that we were unwitting pawns carried along by the evil Utd/Arsenal/Liverpool etc...), as Spurs in the PL without those teams would be disastrous for us. Advertising money would go through the floor, and it would absolutely kill us given our current level of debt.

Apparently there is 3.5b for the "founding teams" for insfrastructure improvements, which would wipe out our dept and pay for the stadium. I can see why ENIC would be interested.

Overall, i'm pretty disgusted at this, and i can't see it going ahead. The backlash has been absolutely massive.

Also, Jose said before the Everton game that "I know the reason for the lack of motivation but I’m not prepared to talk about".

Wonder is this the reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭celt262

Kiith wrote: »
    Also, Jose said before the Everton game that "I know the reason for the lack of motivation but I’m not prepared to talk about".

Wonder is this the reason?

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭howiya

Threw on talksport to have a listen to the reaction to ESL while working. Mourinho gone apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

None of this surprises me
    It's been a soulless money obsessed game for years now
    This is just the next logical step for owners that what to maximize revenue above everything else
    What makes me laugh is that our crooks were even included
    I wonder who ENIC bribed to get a seat that that table? We haven't our own league in 60 years !
    We'd be the West Brom of this new set up - not much fun eh?

The likes of the Premier League and UEFA bitching makes me laugh, they created this monster that's breaking out of its cage.

Will be a bit of craic seeing how this plays out all the same.

Why sack him a week before the cup final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,007 ✭✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Jayzusssss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

howiya wrote: »
    Threw on talksport to have a listen to the reaction to ESL while working. Mourinho gone apparently

Twitter is afire but no news on the main channels yet. It would be a funny week to let him go.

Seems like Jose is indeed gone.

Do it now to try and get Nagelsmann?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Seen a tweet from Linekar saying the same, dunno if it's legitimate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

No surprise, but strange timing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Ornstein reporting it, very strange timing. I wonder if he spoke up against the SL?

https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1384075004397064196?s=20

Telegraph and the Athletic are both saying it, so seems pretty legit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

I just dont care anymore:(

Ornstein reporting it, very strange timing. I wonder if he spoke up against the SL?

https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1384075004397064196?s=20

Let's be honest players and managers alike I assume are going to be told to tow the party line... or else. Would I be wrong here?

I'm not saying that's the reason Jose was sacked but the above still stands.

• Advertisement

Whilst I have been advocating this months I find the timing strange ahead of Sunday tbh.

I can imagine the Nagelsman to Bayern talk is the reason and we must act fast?

Hearing he refusec to tske the players training due to ESL

More like he wanted sacked before his cheaper clause came in after finishing outside top 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

There was several articles flying around over the weekend on how Jose's time was up at the end of the season.

Spurs must have someone already lined up that may not be available late summer especially if the Bayern and possibly the Barca jobs are coming up for grabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

So I think Spurs are the first team he has managed and no trophy, oh well at least they might play better football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,007 ✭✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Looks like it is down to the super league situation.

Fair ****s to Jose, he's gone up in my estimations after taken that stance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭abff

I don’t agree with this new European super league, but I can understand why we would want to be part of it, if it happens.

Let’s face it. Our participation or otherwise is not going to make or break this league. We should consider ourselves lucky to have been invited as the notion of a Top 6 is relatively recent and is mainly due to what we achieved with Pochettino at the helm. For many years it was the Top 4 and then Man City broke into this group when they were taken over by their new owners and had all that money pumped in. We are almost an afterthought.

Just think how we’d feel if we had been excluded? Would we be happier that it was going ahead without us? I think not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

the circus continues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

the circus continues

I would not expect anything different , Ledley to take charge. :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Smart move from Jose. Makes his sacking all about the ESL and nothing to do with on field stuff. Keeps his legacy from being too tinged with the failure that has been his time at Spurs. He can always say I would have turned it around etc etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Fair play to Jose although I reckon both him and Spurs wanted him gone anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

Apparently Ryan Mason has been given the job temporarily

Yeah I reckon he used the ESL controversy to get himself out of there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Smart move from Jose. Makes his sacking all about the ESL and nothing to do with on field stuff. Keeps his legacy from being too tinged with the failure that has been his time at Spurs. He can always say I would have turned it around etc etc

He’s a sneaky sneaky so and so. He should have been ran out t building months ago, now he’ll be a martyr and will get another job quite easily when what his spell confirmed with us was- he’s finished.

At least there’ll be a small pay out as refusing to take training is different completely legally to being sacked over results

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Looks like it is down to the super league situation.

Fair ****s to Jose, he's gone up in my estimations after taken that stance.

Ah come on now. Don't be so naive.

He'll argue convincingly that levy, those players and the aspirations at spurs despite both made in an impossible job, let alone the ESL

Hed be right imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

The circus needs a new clown ......

What a joke.

Ted Lasso been mentioned .....

"There used to be a football club over there"

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Relieved of duties, nothing mutual about that. He's been kicked out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Charliebull

HANS FLICK INCOMING LADS

U HEARD IT HERE FIRST

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Charliebull

spurs first team in super league to sack a manager

spurs first team in super league to sack a manager

Already top of the alternative tables :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Harry Redknapp in over summer? Or Sherwood? I suppose José had to go now, would be harder to get rid if he delivered a trophy at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ah come on now. Don't be so naive.

It's not new. He's on record as being against it for a good few years.

Advertisement