Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tottenham Hotspur Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

greenspurs wrote: »
    Top table ?

Whats the point of it then ?
    Enic will make money (sole reason for being there) , but theres nothing to be won, lost, fought for.
    Some would say that thats an ideal league for Tottenham, given their ideals and off the pitch 'business model',

But, ill say it again, Id rather see Spurs winning legitimate trophies , than just sitting at the fcking "top Table" ....

Jesus christ almighty!!!! :rolleyes:

Did I say anything about not winning trophies of course I want to win trophies,
    To win trophies you need the best players
    To get the best players you have to be able to offer them top tier ,at this point I could roll the eyes back but I don’t know about you but I’m gone to old for that, I’d be afraid they won’t roll back

Don’t give two hoots how much ENIc make (as I’m sure Chelsea Liverpool and city don’t care how much their owners make) if my club is successful then good luck to them ,at the moment we are not, is that ENIc fault possibly, I’ll tell you more when I see the next manager appointed and how he is backed

In the meantime based on what I know today hats off to levy for getting us into this fantasy league

Now go get a top manager and overhaul the squad and he gets my vote

Everyone entitled to a viewpoint, but someone who followed spurs in the fifties would absolutely not see this as the massive departure from the club they new

Theyd see the premier league, sky rights, global fandom, agents and free transfers and sponsor as all just as significant steps away from what to them was the basis of legitimacy of the game and the club imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,702 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Ive seen nothing to suggest in any hard way that the six clubs can be forced out of the premier league

WWe will consider all measures available to us, at all levels, both judicial and sporting in order to prevent this happening. Football is based on open competitions and sporting merit; it cannot be any other way.

As previously announced by FIFA and the six Confederations, the clubs concerned will be banned from playing in any other competition at domestic, European or world level, and their players could be denied the opportunity to represent their national teams. "

Full statement here.

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/mediaservices/mediareleases/news/0268-12121411400e-7897186e699a-1000--joint-statement-on-super-league/

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

el_gaucho wrote: »
    Ryan Mason to take charge till the end of the season.

Ill say one thing in favour here- lad stuck with spurs for years and fought for his chance, and pochettino in his book had special words for him specifically as the type of guy a club needed around

Otherwise, look its interim. Nothing more to be said.

WWe will consider all measures available to us, at all levels, both judicial and sporting in order to prevent this happening. Football is based on open competitions and sporting merit; it cannot be any other way.

As previously announced by FIFA and the six Confederations, the clubs concerned will be banned from playing in any other competition at domestic, European or world level, and their players could be denied the opportunity to represent their national teams. "

Full statement here.

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/mediaservices/mediareleases/news/0268-12121411400e-7897186e699a-1000--joint-statement-on-super-league/

Ive not seen any explanation of the mechanism through which they could do that

The articles on the EPL mechanism to do so ive seen quoted would appear to be related to "rule changes" and i doubt expulsion of six members falls under that heading

Now im not claiming to have the full picture- im just not seeing anything that has set out who could expel us from the epl and the mechanism through which they could so do

The clubs involved didnt come up with this on the bag of a fag packet on saturday night after a boozy chairmans dinner.

I suppose it depends whats more important to you.

Your team and fcuk all the rest
    or
    The Game, the history, the memories etc...

It's down to the individual - There's no right or wrong - its subjective.

I'm a traditionalist and I hate the over commercialization of the game in the past 20 odd years - For me the match day experience is not a patch on what it was before.

But this project will break the game if it goes ahead and the game is king for me. What my club will become if this happens will have absolutely nothing to do with what has been there for 139 years previous apart from a postcode.

I see your point and yes I’d love to go back to the innocence of the 80,s but like it or not sport has moved on , the financial clout of the county in your username at GAA being a prime example

We either embrace it, try to get into a position to stay competitive or we roll over and become a non entity

The innocence of the 80s but!

Of all the eras id pick, oof tisnt that one!

Did I say anything about not winning trophies of course I want to win trophies,
    To win trophies you need the best players
    To get the best players you have to be able to offer them top tier
    ,at this point I could roll the eyes back but I don’t know about you but I’m gone to old for that, I’d be afraid they won’t roll back

Don’t give two hoots how much ENIc make (as I’m sure Chelsea Liverpool and city don’t care how much their owners make) if my club is successful then good luck to them ,at the moment we are not, is that ENIc fault possibly, I’ll tell you more when I see the next manager appointed and how he is backed

In the meantime based on what I know today hats off to levy for getting us into this fantasy league

Now go get a top manager and overhaul the squad and he gets my vote

At the moment , we are considered to be in the top tier in england?
    We cant get the players to come to the club to win the Premier League.
    why ? because theyd rather play for Man City, Barca, Madrid , Chelsea, etc.....

So, when we are in a 12 team league with all those same clubs, how are we going to buy/get the "best players" , if they want to join the others ??

We will never be a big enough club to contend with the mega clubs.
    Simple as that, we can barely contend with the top 5-6 in England, so how could we out bid/pay bigger wages in a Super league !??

Enics bank balance/dividends are better than the playing staff. They know it, and they will keep it that way!

At the top table ... eating a Supermacs meal. That's Spurs.

At the moment , we are considered to be in the top tier in england?
    We cant get the players to come to the club to win the Premier League.
    why ? because theyd rather play for Man City, Barca, Madrid , Chelsea, etc.....

So, when we are in a 12 team league with all those same clubs, how are we going to buy/get the "best players" , if they want to join the others ??

Simple as that, we can barely contend with the top 5-6 in England, so how could we out bid/pay bigger wages in a Super league !??

Enics bank balance/dividends are better than the playing staff. They know it, and they will keep it that way!

At the top table ... eating a Supermacs meal. That's Spurs.

To be honest I always found supermacs good after a feed off pints

Nothing wrong with supermacs

Hungry now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Full statement here.

So now it's brinkmanship. I don't like the idea. Let me be absolutely clear on that. I'm 100% against it. I'm not surprised it's happened and I'm glad Levy somehow got us a ticket if it is to happen but I'm against it.

The clubs are not advocating leaving their domestic leagues. They are trying to replace the Champions League. That's what their plan is. Now there are many selfish reasons for that:

1. You have one bad season and you're screwed from a planning perspective
    2. The Spanish clubs are in severe financial difficulty
    3. The Italian clubs are struggling to be competitive with English clubs because of the TV deal the PL has
    4. These clubs probably think they are generating most of the cash for smaller clubs and leagues and don't think that's fair

But let's not lose sight of what's actually on the table here. The biggest clubs want to gain control of European football from a pretty rotten organisation in UEFA and they want to make it a closed shop. They're not advocating leaving their own leagues. I think the argument in the media at the moment is far too one dimensional to the point of being pantomime villain stuff.

The closed shop element of it is my biggest gripe with it. It then becomes a cartel which ****s on great clubs like Everton, Ajax, Bayern, Benfica, Porto, PSV, Celtic, Rangers. For that reason alone, it should be opposed (although there are other reasons too).

The innocence of the 80s but!

Of all the eras id pick, oof tisnt that one!

Compared to now it is, I mean david pleat giving George Graham a lift home after a cup semi final
    Players from spurs and Arsenal getting dropped off their team bus at the local pub for a feed of pints
    Players staying in digs and landladies teaching them to drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

A club can only be thrown out of premier league if 15 PL clubs vote to do so. Not gonna happen. Even the 14 non esl clubs wouldn’t all vote for it.

Compared to now it is, I mean david pleat giving George Graham a lift home after a cup semi final
    Players from spurs and Arsenal getting dropped off their team bus at the local pub for a feed of pints
    Players staying in digs and landladies teaching them to drive

George Graham was Terry Venables best man once upon a time too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭celt262

Because there will be money and lots of it and if there are salary caps even better again.

I don't agree with this superleague but if it goes ahead we are better off in it than out of it as the same money wont be in the premier league and good know what will happen the remaining clubs.

golfball37 wrote: »
    A club can only be thrown out of premier league if 15 PL clubs vote to do so. Not gonna happen. Even the 14 non esl clubs wouldn’t all vote for it.

The thought had crossed my mind that we were the sixth club for exactly this reason

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

DeanAustin wrote: »
    So now it's brinkmanship. I don't like the idea. Let me be absolutely clear on that. I'm 100% against it. I'm not surprised it's happened and I'm glad Levy somehow got us a ticket if it is to happen but I'm against it.

The clubs are not advocating leaving their domestic leagues. They are trying to replace the Champions League. That's what their plan is. Now there are many selfish reasons for that:

3. The Italian clubs are struggling to be competitive with English clubs because of the TV deal the PL has
    4. These clubs probably think they are generating most of the cash for smaller clubs and leagues and don't think that's fair

But let's not lose sight of what's actually on the table here. The biggest clubs want to gain control of European football from a pretty rotten organisation in UEFA and they want to make it a closed shop. They're not advocating leaving their own leagues. I think the argument in the media at the moment is far too one dimensional to the point of being pantomime villain stuff.

The closed shop element of it is my biggest gripe with it. It then becomes a cartel which ****s on great clubs like Everton, Ajax, Bayern, Benfica, Porto, PSV, Celtic, Rangers. For that reason alone, it should be opposed (although there are other reasons too).

Really well said. It’s weird how many media figures are misunderstanding this whole thing. Possibly it’s deliberate in order to get more attention.

I’m against it too but not for the reasons most people are against it.

Id love to see what you all would be saying if we werent at the 'top table' ....

We are the joke of that league already, and it hasnt even happened yet.

A real stink, of "we are included , so its good" Fcuk everyone else.

Theres more at stake than the stakeholders lads!

Plot thickens

Rumours that chelsea and city are weakening

Be some masterstroke by their billionaire owners to make a white knight charge and get the other four teams sanctioned

Id almost admire it

• Advertisement

Ormus wrote: »
    Really well said. It’s weird how many media figures are misunderstanding this whole thing. Possibly it’s deliberate in order to get more attention.

I’m against it too but not for the reasons most people are against it.

Why do you oppose it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I think the point people are trying to make in relation to the league piece is that the league will be pretty much pointless if the same 6 are guaranteed to qualify for Europe the following season. If this happens it will break the league structure all through the divisions. I'd be very much against that, it's the essence of the game.

Then there's the separate issue of the PL possibly kicking them out. It probably won't happen but I'd love them to have the balls to do it.

These owners just want guaranteed fixed revenue (NFL style) based on an entertainment product produced for a global audience who are willing to pay for the pleasure. I'd rather not be part of this type of machine but I understand how some folk with a more casual love for the club and it's history would be okay with it.

Personally I'd prefer THFC to be on the outside involved in a real competition than on the inside involved with a plastic competition where THFC would be the token West-Brom but that can't get relegated. Not much fun eh?

It would be the icing on the cake for ENIC though - it's their perfect scenario,
    Non-performance based guaranteed revenue. I hear today that there are 1 of 2 of the 6 getting itchy feet, ENIC will be the last to budge I guarantee you. It's their dream.

I think the point people are trying to make in relation to the league piece is that the league will be pretty much pointless if the same 6 are guaranteed to qualify for Europe the following season. If this happens it will break the league structure all through the divisions. I'd be very much against that, it's the essence of the game.

Then there's the separate issue of the PL possibly kicking them out. It probably won't happen but I'd love them to have the balls to do it.

These owners just want guaranteed fixed revenue (NFL style) based on an entertainment product produced for a global audience who are willing to pay for the pleasure. I'd rather not be part of this type of machine but I understand how some folk with a more casual love for the club and it's history would be okay with it.

Personally I'd prefer THFC to be on the outside involved in a real competition than on the inside involved with a plastic competition where THFC would be the token West-Brom but that can't get relegated. Not much fun eh?

It would be the icing on the cake for ENIC though - it's their perfect scenario,
    Non-performance based guaranteed revenue. I hear today that there are 1 of 2 of the 6 getting itchy feet, ENIC will be the last to budge I guarantee you. It's their dream.

I think that argument is right and the reason I'm against it personally.

On the 1 or 2 getting itchy feet, I wonder how easy it will be to get out. I'd assume the likes of JP Morgan won't just shrug their shoulders and say "off you go Chelsea and City, don't worry about it". I wonder has anything legally binding been signed.

I also don't believe the Spanish clubs or Italian clubs will fold like a house of cards if 1 or 2 leave. The Spanish clubs are in a lot of financial bother and the Italians are struggling to be competitive with the English teams because the PL has such a good TV deal. They aren't gonna let this go easily.

Whatever happens, I think there will be massive arguments, massive fallout and a lot of rich lawyers at the end of this.

[PHP][/PHP]
    Congrats on having a viewpoint, but theres no chance you could have a look at this type of line and rethink the way you speak to people, no?

Realise ive appealed to you before and you dont thinks its something you need to do but i dunno personally speaking id not hold much interest in discussing stuff with anyone who felt the need to project and mischaracterise anyone who disagreed with them like this

Its cheapshot stuff, i think we are all better posters than that

Point taken but that wasn't my intention at all.
    Sometime the spoken word is better than the written word.

There's all types/levels of supporters though isn't there?
    Supporters that take a more casual interest
    Supporters that are more obsessed
    And loads somewhere in the middle

I would think those with a more casual interest would have less of an issue with the ESL than those who have spent years supporting the club, going to games regularly etc....

I think that's a pretty fair assumption - not pointing the finger at anyone.

I think that argument is right and the reason I'm against it personally.

On the 1 or 2 getting itchy feet, I wonder how easy it will be to get out. I'd assume the likes of JP Morgan won't just shrug their shoulders and say "off you go Chelsea and City, don't worry about it". I wonder has anything legally binding been signed.

I also don't believe the Spanish clubs or Italian clubs will fold like a house of cards if 1 or 2 leave. The Spanish clubs are in a lot of financial bother and the Italians are struggling to be competitive with the English teams because the PL has such a good TV deal. They aren't gonna let this go easily.

Whatever happens, I think there will be massive arguments, massive fallout and a lot of rich lawyers at the end of this.

Yeah, I hear they have all signed a 23 year contract/commitment

[PHP][/PHP]

Point taken but that wasn't my intention at all.
    Sometime the spoken word is better than the written word.

There's all types/levels of supporters though isn't there?
    Supporters that take a more casual interest
    Supporters that are more obsessed
    And loads somewhere in the middle

I would think those with a more casual interest would have less of an issue with the ESL than those who have spent years supporting the club, going to games regularly etc....

I think that's a pretty fair assumption - not pointing the finger at anyone.

Look man i actually deleted my post before you responded because i do enjoy the honest straight talk in this thread and i thought better of my reaction tbh, that i might just have overreacted

Fair play for coming back on it, i admire that regardless

• Advertisement

Amazon are out

Weird, id kind of assumed that levy had a wider plan with them throughout all this but clearly not

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Mason's press conference.

Looks more likely every hour that this doesnt happen

Which would imo be about the worst possible outcome for levy and surely, surely into resignation territory

And that looks to be that

He must resign

And that looks to be that

He must resign

What you mean?

• Advertisement

Chelsea and City drawing up documents to leave it apparently. Good for them, even if its only because they got called on it by their fans.

Hope Levy also announces we're out, though i imagine it'll take a bit longer for us.

I’m hearing Woodward is gone from United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Kiith wrote: »
    Chelsea and City drawing up documents to leave it apparently. Good for them, even if its only because they got called on it by their fans.

Hope Levy also announces we're out, though i imagine it'll take a bit longer for us.
    It's dead, gang of 12 to discuss disbanding all of it tonight.

Ormus wrote: »
    I’m hearing Woodward is gone from United

And Agnelli. Who next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Happy with that, I'm not sure how any of these guys thought this would be acceptable to the fans etc. A good day for football that it didn't happen, a very sobering day for the 6 clubs. Interesting that Chelsea and City were the first two to pull out, probably 'helped' by the threat that they might be kicked out of this years CL.
    I think serious damage has been done to the standing/reputation of the 6 clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Be some laugh if Jose turned up at the training ground this morning. "I'm baaaaack".

Can we get the same level of outrage and disgust directed towards Uefa and Fifa now?

Both are just as bad, or worse, then those involved in the ESL fiasco.

Can we get the same level of outrage and disgust directed towards Uefa and Fifa now?

Both are just as bad, or worse, then those involved in the ESL fiasco.

From 2023-24 season.
    The "Swiss Model" Champions League will be underway....

(it was kinda sneaked in )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY5RcSf0scU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Glebee

Good article in The Time this morning by Matthew Synd, this bit stood out for me.
    FIFA, UEFA. SKY, etc dont want to be left out of this money making machine.

"In truth, many within football have been on the gravy train for years. Top players have gained vast wealth, their agents have become multi-millionaires, TV companies have ballooned in equity value, presenters have enjoyed lucrative contracts, governing bodies have gained kickbacks and governments have secured tax revenue. This proposal was not about changing the underlying value system of football but tweaking its beneficiaries and controllers. This is perhaps why the outrage was so frenzied. It amounted to a howl of “how dare you siphon off money from this great sport! That’s our job!”

• Advertisement

i recieved a whatsapp audio this morning of Jammy Redknapp speaking about Joses sacking..

According to him there were stipulations to the monies he would get, A certain amount if he was in the top4, in the top6, and outside the top6.

He then said he couldnt understand why they would do it in a cup final week, and that they were clowns in the club.....

i recieved a whatsapp audio this morning of Jammy Redknapp speaking about Joses sacking..

According to him there were stipulations to the monies he would get, A certain amount if he was in the top4, in the top6, and outside the top6.

He then said he couldnt understand why they would do it in a cup final week, and that they were clowns in the club.....

hilarious - fair play to him :)

https://twitter.com/All_ThingsTHFC/status/1384802568719802368

Why keep him for the cup final when our football is toxic and we can't pay for a result? City would demolish us on our current form, and i don't see what the point of not sacking him would be. I'd rather lose giving it a go, then lose it playing scutter football.

Maybe getting rid of him will give the players a boost and make them actually play for a change.

The Times are saying Nagelsmann is interesed. Tier "I choose to believe".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

Why keep him for the cup final when our football is toxic and we can't pay for a result? City would demolish us on our current form, and i don't see what the point of not sacking him would be. I'd rather lose giving it a go, then lose it playing scutter football.

Maybe getting rid of him will give the players a boost and make them actually play for a change.

Be interesting to see if we are more attacking tomight . Have to give it a go . Nobody seems to want top 4 this season . We have very winnable fixtures left where if we could win 5 out of last 6 we would prob sneak in. I presume Harry’s is out tonight ?

Same players , different manager ................................ :rolleyes:

Sorry, not sure what you're point is.

I mean you could spin it both ways

Players are suddenly far better tonight "manager was holding them back"

Players are suddenly far better tonight "snakes hung another manager, they play when they want"

I don't think anyone should be 100% for either, its a mix

Personally i believe that every person has their own responsibility to the club all the way up through the hierarchy and while mourinho wasnt ideal, they had an ideal manager previously and stopped playing for him too.

This pool of players have an influential core that gets managers sacked, the line between them and the chairman bypassed the coach and there is absolutely nothing healthy about any of that, and the fact that mourinho is footballs least sympathetic man shouldnt obscure that

Sorry, not sure what you're point is.

Point is :
    We still have the same players , that will continue to make the same mistakes, regardless of whether it's Jose , Mason, or Pep in the dugout.

Tactics are secondary to skill/ability.
    If you dont have players with above average ability , you can't play intricate tactical games, you have to resort to basics.

we dont have the players, and add in terrible attitude to that also.

Same players, same chairman, manager doesnt matter!

• Advertisement

So should we just concede the match on Sunday and not play? Not much point on even bothering it seems.

Advertisement