Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tottenham Hotspur Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

I agree with some of the comments Dublin Spur but on Dybala, we went for him and the image rights scuppered the deal, nothing more, in fact we dropped fernandes to go for dybala

big money signings are not always right, Rebrov and Ndombele and Soldado are prime examples

I dont know much about Holberg but if Jose wants him then that will do me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

If Levy is sure that Mourinho is the right man he needs to back him to the hilt.

If Holberg was the man that Mourinho wanted then that is a great bit of business to pick up a starter for 15 million. Considering KWP with recoup 12 of that then that’s all the better.

A RB and LB that Mourinho wants over the next couple of weeks and I’ll be happy. Add a good quality back up for Kane(who’s happy to only start 10 cup/European games) and I’ll be delighted. I really wanted us to go for Solomon Rondon last year. Someone like that would be perfect I feel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

My ideal player to go for is adama traore. I think he is fantastic and can play as winger or wing back, exactly the way we seem to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Annnnnd , in other news.

The club have confirmed the new dates for GnR's 2 gigs at the Enic stadium next summer...…..

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I agree with some of the comments Dublin Spur but on Dybala, we went for him and the image rights scuppered the deal, nothing more, in fact we dropped fernandes to go for dybala

big money signings are not always right, Rebrov and Ndombele and Soldado are prime examples

I dont know much about Holberg but if Jose wants him then that will do me

just pay the fcuking image rights in order to get the player that's gonna help the team win stuff

of course all big money signing don't always come off (just ask chelsea, utd etc..) but that should't prevent you from continuing to try to do them. Every signing is a gamble. You have to have an ambitious chairman and owner to compete, we don't have either.

just pay the fcuking image rights in order to get the player that's gonna help the team win stuff

of course all big money signing don't always come off (just ask chelsea, utd etc..) but that should't prevent you from continuing to try to do them. Every signing is a gamble. You have to have an ambitious chairman and owner to compete, we don't have either.

From what I remember it wasn't that we didn't want to buy the image rights, it was they didn't want to sell them. That would mean a fcuck up on shirt sales, dvds, streaming, calendars, posters etc. It was more on their side than ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

well we were allowed to have talks with the player so why would that have happened if he was never for sale ?

anyway, just another Rivaldo situation again I guess

when it comes to 'big signings' we never get our man anymore - we did with previous owners

well we were allowed to have talks with the player so why would that have happened if he was never for sale ?

when it comes to 'big signings' we never get our man anymore - we did with previous owners

Everything was for sale apart from his image rights as far as I remember. They were owned by a third party company who weren't selling them. Close but not fully the same as the Tevez type third party contract.

image rights were third party ownership

that was the problem, not allowed under Premier league rules I think

we offered to pay half and Juve were going to pay half but owners would not deal, hence transfer died, my only gripe with all that was why the fcuk we left it til last minute to try to get deal done, if we had known all that in time we could have gone back in for fernandes

at least this year we seem to be trying to get deals done early

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I would dearly love to see you run a football club. Just not Spurs

Levy always does good business - but that's part of the problem.

Sissoko instead on Mane seen as good business.

Dybala was seen as poor business last Summer, he was just named Seri A player of the season.

If the 'target' doesn't fit his transfer spreadsheet it's a no deal
    That's how little clubs act, he's so small time and an awful fit for THFC

Who was it calling Sissoko instead of Mane good business? I seem to remember people being mystified by us spending so much on Sissoko.

Who was saying Dybala was no good? Are you making this up?

Foyth -> Leeds
    KWP -> Southampton
    Aurier -> Milan

I hope Enic have replacements arranged if all go through ?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Glebee

greenspurs wrote: »
    Foyth -> Leeds
    KWP -> Southampton
    Aurier -> Milan

Foyth could be a good deal for Leeds... Does Milan know something we dont:confused::confused::confused:

Glebee wrote: »
    Foyth could be a good deal for Leeds... Does Milan know something we dont:confused::confused::confused:

I suppose they see an experienced international captain who has been a regular starter in the champions league for PSG and Spurs. He’s got a decent CV

Ormus wrote: »
    I suppose they see an experienced international captain who has been a regular starter in the champions league for PSG and Spurs. He’s got a decent CV

That's a bit like looking at a player on youtube… You don't entirely get the full picture...

#Donkey #Errorier

• Advertisement

Foyth -> Leeds
    KWP -> Southampton
    Aurier -> Milan

foyth and kwp never played (part of the problem until loaning kwp) so wont take much replacing.

aurier playing another minute for the club would be a failure so he needed replacing regardless.

we need a few players in who arent seen as saviours but give better squad/bench options. i wouldnt have minded keeping foyth/kwp on that basis but tbh they are each so error-prone that they dont fit that profile very well.

solid pros in for dm, rb, lb, kane cover

anyone turning their nose up at decent performers from relegated/lower table clubs has it all wrong imo.

That's a bit like looking at a player on youtube… You don't entirely get the full picture...

#Donkey #Errorier

I agree but I think a lot of clubs might think ok so it didn’t work out for him in the premier league but he’s worth a shot. Even in the premier league he was a regular this season in what was a generally decent defence and got a good few assists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

'Aurier is a disaster', 'not fit to wear the Jersey', 'worst player to ever wear the Jersey'. I've said all these things myself and more as have most of us on here...

...but

... a lot of us said the same about Walker and rubbed our hands with glee at the thought of getting 50million for him. Walker made mistakes too, lost concentration a lot, was error prone but he has been a huge loss and was never proper replaced. I haven't followed him closely since he left but he is still regarded as one of the best right backs in the EPL and Europe. Getting rid of Aurier might not be the solution, depends on the replacement (if any) I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

If we got 100k for Aurier we should be brought up under trade descriptions act!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/2020/august/ledley-joins-first-team-staff/?gamp=true&__twitter_impression=true

I heard Ledley King pulled his hamstring posing for the photo shoot confirming him as first team assistant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

'Aurier is a disaster', 'not fit to wear the Jersey', 'worst player to ever wear the Jersey'. I've said all these things myself and more as have most of us on here...

...but

... a lot of us said the same about Walker and rubbed our hands with glee at the thought of getting 50million for him. Walker made mistakes too, lost concentration a lot, was error prone but he has been a huge loss and was never proper replaced. I haven't followed him closely since he left but he is still regarded as one of the best right backs in the EPL and Europe. Getting rid of Aurier might not be the solution, depends on the replacement (if any) I suppose.

On that comparison. I think that Walker is quite harshly judged in general. It seems that people watched his first 2/3 seasons as a starter and then decided "Ok. This is the player he is. A physically gifted player with massive lapses of concentration and no end product going forward".

IMO he improved massively under Poch. His defending became more reliable (obviously there were still mistakes), his delivery improved no end and physically he was one of the most impressive performers in the league. I really don't think there's much comparison between the last 18 months we had from Walker and the last couple of years of Aurier.

We need another RB regardless of whether we sell Aurier or not. Unless Mourinho sees Tanganga as a lot term starter there, which I doubt is the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

BBC website reporting that Spurs and Saints have agreed a fee(more than the 15,00 pounds Spurs were offering but less than the 25,000 pounds Saints wanted) today for Hojbjerg.

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    BBC website reporting that Spurs and Saints have agreed a fee(more than the 15,00 pounds Spurs were offering but less than the 25,000 pounds Saints wanted) today for Hojbjerg.

I’m presuming you mean millions rather than 000s, hahah

Don’t know much about him. Is he good?

joeguevara wrote: »

Don’t know much about him. Is he good?

Ha, yes millions. I need to start drinking.

joeguevara wrote:

Wouldn't surprise me if Levy agreed 15m with them and then went back and low balled them with an offer of 15K

If that kouabily lad at Napoli is worth 60 million then Dier is worth a fortune,
    He is terrible

Hojbjerg done, good bit of early biz.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Hojbjerg done, good bit of early biz.

Yep, not a glamorous signing but exactly what is needed. He should add some balance to what was a very unbalanced midfield with no true defensive midfielder.

5-6 years ago we would probably of been unimpressed with the calibre of this signing but I think we are just relieved to be signing anyone at this stage and as mentioned already it's a player/positon that we badly needed.

I'm particularly pleased that we've bought a player with PL experience, he might not be in the same class as similar players in the top4-5 teams in the league but at least we know what we are getting rather than gambling by signing the next big thing in the U-23s from France/Portugal etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Yep, not a glamorous signing but exactly what is needed. He should add some balance to what was a very unbalanced midfield with no true defensive midfielder.

I just had a look at his stats for last season. 30 starts plus 3 appearances as a sub. 0 goals scored and 3 assists. Definitely defensive rather than attacking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

abff wrote: »
    I just had a look at his stats for last season. 30 starts plus 3 appearances as a sub. 0 goals scored and 3 assists. Definitely defensive rather than attacking!

Probably not much worse than Modric so. Stats mean nothing. Gylfi Suggirdsun and Clint Dempsey had great stats.

im between two stools on that comment, dempsey and siggurdsson were excellent players used poorly or unfairly looked upon as bad signings!

that said, evaluating a dmc on his attacking stats is exactly the mindset that has people defending aurier based on his assists, one of the most catastrophic defenders we ever had since the days of doherty/gardner and destroys the other decent defenders in the setup by his fecklessness

as a club/fanbase id like to see us give the proper kudos to defenders that care about their core job, and squad players that support the team when needed without being 60m glamour signings.

we'd be a lot better off if we weren't so easily dazzled and distracted by the simple figures- modric is a good example, and imo GLC didnt set the world alight with goals/assists but he had a brilliant debut season

a solid centre forward backup, a pair of full backs who care about defending, id be happy. that isnt a high bar to set

lot talk about aarons and some turkish full back

and wilson from bournemouth

i think holberg might turn out to be what we need a good DM, if jose picked him all the better,

we badly need a LB too

Its sad to say but are well only looking for players that no other top 6 premier league club are interested in.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

im between two stools on that comment, dempsey and siggurdsson were excellent players used poorly or unfairly looked upon as bad signings!

that said, evaluating a dmc on his attacking stats is exactly the mindset that has people defending aurier based on his assists, one of the most catastrophic defenders we ever had since the days of doherty/gardner and destroys the other decent defenders in the setup by his fecklessness

as a club/fanbase id like to see us give the proper kudos to defenders that care about their core job, and squad players that support the team when needed without being 60m glamour signings.

we'd be a lot better off if we weren't so easily dazzled and distracted by the simple figures- modric is a good example, and imo GLC didnt set the world alight with goals/assists but he had a brilliant debut season

a solid centre forward backup, a pair of full backs who care about defending, id be happy. that isnt a high bar to set

On the subject of right back, been thinking Nathanial Clyne would actually be a great signing for Spurs. Only recently turned 29, and available on a free. He's an excellent right back, especially when it comes to defending - it's the attacking side of his game that lets him down a bit, particularly in contrast to Alexander-Arnold. He's still not bad going forward, but Liverpool rely on consistent attacking play from fullback, that just isn't his game.

Think he's a steal for the right club.

Its sad to say but are well only looking for players that no other top 6 premier league club are interested in.:(

I don't know if this is entirely true, but it is definitely true that we will never be able to outbid the likes of city, united, chelsea or arsenal. However, it is not always a bad thing that we are looking at different players than the others as that drives up prices exponentially.

The southampton guy looks like a coup. We asked for early business, we got it. Lets see how the rest of the summer unfolds. (Just as an aside, I don't think any of the top 6 were interested in Sonny when we bought him).

lot talk about aarons and some turkish full back

and wilson from bournemouth

i think holberg might turn out to be what we need a good DM, if jose picked him all the better,

we badly need a LB too

ive a few spurs accounts i follow on twitter with good knowledge of youth team and they are convinced cirkin is going to see plenty of games next season, and harvey white also seen as a possible prospect, hence davies being left as the only recognised option under current plans

I don't know if this is entirely true, but it is definitely true that we will never be able to outbid the likes of city, united, chelsea or arsenal. However, it is not always a bad thing that we are looking at different players than the others as that drives up prices exponentially.

The southampton guy looks like a coup. We asked for early business, we got it. Lets see how the rest of the summer unfolds. (Just as an aside, I don't think any of the top 6 were interested in Sonny when we bought him).

im beginning to get very wary of "top" players that sign for us.

we actually have a much better success rate for players who are moving from a third rate club and are looking for a club like us who are a window if all goes well for progression to real, united (to pick two obvious ones) tier clubs

it might sting some supporters to think of us that way but i think a player motivated to play for himself gives his best for a team.

if he falls in love with the team and stays, then great. but if he delivers and moves on after performing for us, thats also a good outcome. plenty of examples, many of whom we arguably saw the best of before selling at the right price/time

look at our big money signings and they rarely come to us for the right reasons, work out a lot less often and when it goes wrong it seems to go badly wrong.

Anyone renewing there Onehotspur membership? Does not seem like much point really given the Covid situation:( God only know when were going to get to a game.

• Advertisement

im beginning to get very wary of "top" players that sign for us.

we actually have a much better success rate for players who are moving from a third rate club and are looking for a club like us who are a window if all goes well for progression to real, united (to pick two obvious ones) tier clubs

it might sting some supporters to think of us that way but i think a player motivated to play for himself gives his best for a team.

if he falls in love with the team and stays, then great. but if he delivers and moves on after performing for us, thats also a good outcome. plenty of examples, many of whom we arguably saw the best of before selling at the right price/time

look at our big money signings and they rarely come to us for the right reasons, work out a lot less often and when it goes wrong it seems to go badly wrong.

100 percent agree. Biggest surprise ever was when eriksen chose us over Liverpool who had done everything but sign him. A lot of our star signings such as Rebrov, soldado, Jansen and Paulinho have been disasters. I have faith in Mourinho choice of player. But usually he does have an unlimited chest to get who he wants. Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

evaluating a dmc on his attacking stats is exactly the mindset that has people defending aurier based on his assists

All I said was that he is definitely a defensive, rather than an attacking, midfielder.

abff wrote: »
    All I said was that he is definitely a defensive, rather than an attacking, midfielder.

nah fair enough i wasnt honing in on you but making a point about wider spurs fan base, sorry that wasnt clear

Højbjerg isn’t a sitting, Makalele type DMC, at least he wasn’t for Southampton, but he is a guy who wins possession and passes it forward. He won possession more than anyone else in the league last season, but interestingly only 6 players won possession more in the attacking third.

Quite possibly Jose will get him to sit deeper for us.

ive a few spurs accounts i follow on twitter with good knowledge of youth team and they are convinced cirkin is going to see plenty of games next season, and harvey white also seen as a possible prospect, hence davies being left as the only recognised option under current plans

yes ive heard about him, supposed to be a good player, is he a left back

Anyone renewing there Onehotspur membership? Does not seem like much point really given the Covid situation:( God only know when were going to get to a game.

think i will anyway

• Advertisement

yes ive heard about him, supposed to be a good player, is he a left back

cirkin a left back, white plays lb or midfield but thats at youth level where you get away with being a generalist a bit more. not sure where he will end up.

Email from club regarding renewing memberships!

WE ARE ONE
    With the 2019/20 campaign now over, we should like to take this opportunity to thank all our One Hotspur Members for your continued loyalty and support during the season and a challenging past few months.
    Your fantastic support has been sorely missed during our behind-closed-doors matches and we cannot wait to welcome our fans back to the stadium when it is safe to do so.
    One Hotspur membership renewals for the 2020/21 season are now open.
    RENEW NOW
    We have made some exciting changes to your membership for next season:
    By renewing before 5pm on Monday 17 August, you will gain free access to watch our home pre-season friendly matches live online this summer (worth £20). Further details will be communicated when fixtures are confirmed.
    We have listened to your feedback and have replaced the physical gift packs with a digital gift voucher worth £14.99 for our online shop - a more environmentally-friendly approach providing you greater choice. You can use your voucher to purchase exclusive One Hotspur products including pin badges, water bottles and Bluetooth speakers or simply use the voucher to buy any standard product on our shop including our new 2020/21 kit.
    10% Member day discounts online and in our retail shops
    10% discount on Stadium Tours
    10% discount on our new visitor attraction – The Dare Skywalk - now available to book ahead of its public opening on Monday 31 August
    As a One Hotspur Member, you will be given priority access to tickets as soon as full capacity matches can resume. As a One Hotspur+ Member, you will be additional 24-hour ticket priority.
    Our reward programme of money-can’t-buy experiences, events and competitions exclusively for One Hotspur Members with opportunities to meet the First Team players, visit the training centre, get behind the scenes at the stadium and win some great prizes.
    SEE MORE MOMENTS HERE →
    Harry Winks with fans
    We are also working with partners to bring our Members even more exclusive products and discounts throughout the coming season – for example, Members will receive a 20% discount on tickets at Cadbury World in Birmingham throughout the 2020/21 season.
    If you renew your One Hotspur+ Membership you will maintain your place on our Season Ticket Waiting List.
    If you don’t renew you will lose the Ticketing Points you have accrued and your current Season Ticket Waiting List position which is 96,000 .
    SEE ALL 2020/21 BENEFITS →
    The cost of your membership for the 2020/21 season is £53.00 plus a £1.50 booking fee.ooo
    HOW TO RENEW
    1. Visit the Ticketing Membership Platform →
    2. Sign-in with your Client Reference Number xxxxc
    3. Check your notifications and click 'Action Now'
    4. Select between 'Direct Debit Discount' or the 'Standard Fee' from the drop-down and add it to your Basket
    5. Follow the steps at the Basket

No thanks.
    I didn't receive the "gift pack" for this year !

Transfer Speculation

Man city interested in Harry Winks … £40mill price tag ?

Benfica seems to be the destination for Super Jan Vertonghen ..

Transfer Speculation

Man city interested in Harry Winks … £40mill price tag ?

Benfica seems to be the destination for Super Jan Vertonghen ..

Would you be happy Winks leaving? I don't think I would. Prior to his last injury he was excellent. I think he is also starting to play well under Jose but with the new signing will he be excess to reuqirements, also if it part funded a big signing I wouldn't be too upset.

Van the Man to Benfica would be a good move for him.

Would you be happy Winks leaving? I don't think I would. Prior to his last injury he was excellent. I think he is also starting to play well under Jose but with the new signing will he be excess to reuqirements, also if it part funded a big signing I wouldn't be too upset.

Van the Man to Benfica would be a good move for him.

Im a bit torn. I like Winks, as he seems to love the club and always gives his all.
    Okay, hes a bit limited, but as you say he is playing well.
    40mill though, is a lot of money for a player that came from the academy, and Levy would take it id imagine.

Moving to City would be a bad move though? if he can only get into a poor Spurs midfield ocassionly , how could he get into a great City midfield ??

• Advertisement
Advertisement