Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tottenham Hotspur Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Bale says he is open to a premiership return. Could this be the time Jose finally gets to sign him?

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/transfer-news/bale-transfer-tottenham-manchester-united-18869473

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

1. 8th richest club in the world
    2. lowest 5yr net spend in PL
    3. lowest wage to turnover % in the PL

Something doesn't add up

This crowd are all about point 1
    They are the only ones who benefit from the clubs increasing value, not us or the team.
    Levy is great for shareholders (pretty much himself and Lewis), as long as they are looked after everything else is secondary.

Look at the way LFC's owners backed Klopp, if our lot had a similar level of ambition we probably would have won the title.
    But they don't so we didn't, instead they try to pick through the bones of relegated clubs on deadline day for bargains.
    Classless, small time shysters that they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Something doesn't add up

They are the only ones who benefit from the clubs increasing value, not us or the team.
    Levy is great for shareholders (pretty much himself and Lewis), as long as they are looked after everything else is secondary.

Look at the way LFC's owners backed Klopp, if our lot had a similar level of ambition we probably would have won the title.
    But they don't so we didn't, instead they try to pick through the bones of relegated clubs on deadline day for bargains.

Its just us two …… :D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

joeguevara wrote: »

Our last wonder team imploded, because of Poch not ENIC.

sorry fella, but that is one of the most deluded things I have ever read on this message board.

Poch over achieved with one arm tied behind his back

Remember no signings for 18 months

Then he was given players he didn't want (Sissoko instead of Mane for example)

The farce with Grealish, the farce with Dybala, the farce with Mane, the farce with Wynaldium

Yet Poch was supposed to just suck it up an battle on regardless,

He proved himself worthy of investment (like Klopp did at LFC) but the funds never materialized despite 4 seasons of CL football.

I could see the crash coming years before it hit due to the lack of support he was given but to blame Poch for the slow collapse of our great 2016-17 side is mega deluded.

greenspurs wrote: »
    Its just us two …… :D

thankfully a lot more of us are not happy clappers but there does appear to be a disproportionate number of ENIC apologists on here for some reason?

ENIC have been taking the piss for 20 years, but at least they didn't 'do a leeds'
    a total bollox argument

Don't forget the farce with Barkley too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Something doesn't add up

was easy to back him when they just pocketed 160 million from Barca for Couthino

This got sent to me just there. Never heard it before. Which one of he wrote it?

https://youtu.be/Rg3Bz3X7HSw

im not totally defending enic, they have made mistakes but I dont think they deserve all the flak they get. they have also done a lot of good for the club

Grealish Farce, what farce the lad was never worth 40 million, we had offer of 20 accepted and they agreed and then reneged and doubled it

dybala we have done already- image rights

Barkley- thank fcuk that never happened, the lads hamstring was in ribbons when we made a move, we wanted to wait until he was passed fit again

pooch was a good manager, blessed with a great team, but looking back without rose tinted specs, he was a one trick pony, when plan A failed that was it, no alternative

if enic left i wouldnt shed a tear, but i would not go around blaming them for everything and demanding they leave

• Advertisement

sorry fella, but that is one of the most deluded things I have ever read on this message board.

Poch over achieved with one arm tied behind his back

Remember no signings for 18 months

Then he was given players he didn't want (Sissoko instead of Mane for example)

The farce with Grealish, the farce with Dybala, the farce with Mane, the farce with Wynaldium

Yet Poch was supposed to just suck it up an battle on regardless,

He proved himself worthy of investment (like Klopp did at LFC) but the funds never materialized despite 4 seasons of CL football.

I could see the crash coming years before it hit due to the lack of support he was given but to blame Poch for the slow collapse of our great 2016-17 side is mega deluded.

Ok deeeeeppppp breath joe. As it says in the post, and I’ve repeated numerous times after, I was trying to see how an ENIC representative would argue their point. It was a bit of banter.

Anyway beautiful day outside.

https://youtu.be/PtMPbnHlEi0

okay so that's not your opinion then - nice one :)

was easy to back him when they just pocketed 160 million from Barca for Couthino

Look at their net spend since klopp took over
    They've spent a lot more than the Couthino money and they pay proper wages

okay so that's not your opinion then - nice one :)

Good lot of it is but I hate not being able to compete for players. Not mess is or Ronaldo s but the likes of Van Beek who chose United over us. It also hurts that we can’t hold on to our best players such as Berbatov, Bale, Modric and Eriksen because of the wages. You can see Kane sometimes in interviews when he hears what United and Chelsea Squad players earn.

I hate not getting to celebrate wildly for winning a trophy. 2008 was grand. Beating Forrest in 1991 as a 12 year old is a memory I’ll. ever forget. Be nice to have it again.

Looking back on old chas and Dave music videos for us, we were world beaters and pure class. Ardiles and Villa with hoddle and waddle. Wow. To tell you the truth, I couldn’t give a flying fcuck if our stadium has a cheese factory or a brewery, it’s time we converted. Also when you see City negotiating a Messi deal and we are in for Deeney and Wilson.

This is purely down to ENIC.

But I am also ecstatic about what the future holds. Thrown ndombele and 20 million. And drag bale back home.

im not totally defending enic, they have made mistakes but I dont think they deserve all the flak they get. they have also done a lot of good for the club

Grealish Farce, what farce the lad was never worth 40 million, we had offer of 20 accepted and they agreed and then reneged and doubled it

dybala we have done already- image rights

Barkley- thank fcuk that never happened, the lads hamstring was in ribbons when we made a move, we wanted to wait until he was passed fit again

pooch was a good manager, blessed with a great team, but looking back without rose tinted specs, he was a one trick pony, when plan A failed that was it, no alternative

if enic left i wouldnt shed a tear, but i would not go around blaming them for everything and demanding they leave

The Grealish farce was caused by Levy's messing and trying to be 'too clever'
    He's the reason the deal collapsed

https://talksport.com/football/411878/jack-grealish-tottenham-spurs-aston-villa-manager-steve-bruce-talksport/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Sunday week it starts, Tottenham v Everton.

We are not spending big amounts like some others but I'm reasonably happy with what we have done so far. Hope there's a few more of Mourinho's choices to come in.

Win something and champions league qualification for next year would be very acceptable.

I believe with Mourinho our chances to win something is higher now even though competition will be feirce with Man U n Chelsea spending big and Pool and City so strong.

Really looking forward to kick off.

• Advertisement

https://talksport.com/football/411878/jack-grealish-tottenham-spurs-aston-villa-manager-steve-bruce-talksport/

Once again, they really are the pits.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham-transfer-news-aurier-mourinho-ndombele-striker-a4539146.html

Jose wants to buy a striker, but it wont be sanctioned until they move Error-ier on.

One out, One in ..
    Its the Enic way.

(they provide the reason for me to hate them)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

So the deal collapsed because something nobody foresaw happening happened.

What was Levy thinking trying to negotiate the best price. Who does he think he is.

I don’t think Grealish would’ve been a great signing for us. He would’ve been back up for Eriksen, wouldn’t have improved as much as he has by being Villa’s main man. Even now he’s a good player but I’m not convinced he’s worth what the papers think.

If Spurs fans are absolutely honest, they mainly wanted him just because they were thirsty for a signing, not because he was what we needed.

Don't forget the farce with Barkley too.

And Berahino

People seem to forget that Poch said in his book that Levy often approached him offering to sign players for him and Poch would say no thanks I’ll work with what I have.

Doesn’t fit the narrative I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Glebee

Ormus wrote: »
    And Berahino

And Damiao:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

People seem to forget that Poch said in his book that Levy often approached him offering to sign players for him and Poch would say no thanks I’ll work with what I have.

Not mine anyway...

Enic fcuk ups go way past Poch.

You think it was okay to sack Martin Jol the way they did?

14 managers under their ownership...

Ramos !
    Santini
    Gross
    Sherwood

All flops …. Comoli - Poyet ?

Not mine anyway...

Enic fcuk ups go way past Poch.

You think it was okay to sack Martin Jol the way they did?

14 managers under their ownership...

Ramos !
    Santini
    Gross
    Sherwood

All flops …. Comoli - Poyet ?

Martin Jol was a lovely guy, but they were 100% right to sack him. Being a football manager is only ever a temp job. You’re as good as your last 10 results pretty much no matter who you are, how long you’ve been in the job or what you’ve achieved.

14 managers is about average, it’s a crazy profession, I’m not sure what your point is? The likes of Watford would go through 14 in about two seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

It’s a fair point but I think the window where we sign no one was proof that Levy’s approach can be too cautious. We were the only PL club in 15 years of summer transfer windows (that’s 300 windows) to sign no one - that’s on the chairman for me. There’s no way Poch didn’t want to strengthen and Levy quite clearly gave him poor options or no options.

That said, the Grealish situation was that summer and the very same tactics that Levy employed there are what probably got us Doherty for such a low fee or ensured that we f**ked PSG when getting Lo Celso amongst countless other examples.

It’s very easy to sit here just saying “pay early and do your business early” because as a fan, that’s what I want. But I’m not the fella who is making decisions that could cost or save the club millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Martin Jol was a lovely guy, but they were 100% right to sack him. Being a football manager is only ever a temp job. You’re as good as your last 10 results pretty much no matter who you are, how long you’ve been in the job or what you’ve achieved.

14 managers is about average, it’s a crazy profession, I’m not sure what your point is? The likes of Watford would go through 14 in about two seasons.

I couldn't agree more with your last sentence but couldn't agree less with the first part. Judging managers on 10 games is not a good way to do things.

On Jol, he gave us our self respect back so I'll never accept that he should have been fired. I'd be stunned if anyone can justify the way he was fired which, as a Levy supporter, I think was the most disgraceful episode of his chairmanship.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more with your last sentence but couldn't agree less with the first part. Judging managers on 10 games is not a good way to do things.

On Jol, he gave us our self respect back so I'll never accept that he should have been fired. I'd be stunned if anyone can justify the way he was fired which, as a Levy supporter, I think was the most disgraceful episode of his chairmanship.

Jol’s sacking was badly handled, but I don’t get the outrage and shock at sackings. It’s a merrygoround and always has been.

I’m not claiming that judging someone on their last ten matches is a good way to do things, but it’s definitely the way things are done in practice.

Watched the first 2 episodes of "All or Nothing" last night.
    I said I would never watch it, but I did.
    So far it is interesting. I actually like the way the crumbling of Pochs reign was handled. And I think it is apparent when you see and hear the players and Poch, they really suffered after the Champs lge defeat.
    Even watching the clips of the semi against Ajax, listening to Darren Fletcher commentating, brings tears to my eyes every time! Jeez lads that was a special few months.
    Maybe the dip in the next season due to the Final hangover wasn't taken into account by supporters and board ?

I have never ever liked Jose. He will always be Chelsea, always to me. But he has some humour, and its all about winning with him. As he said to Kane in their first meeting, he wouldn't be there if he couldn't win something. (I hope enic took note)
    As Mourinho said "To get to the Final was a massive achievement , but we didn't win"
    I really hope that mentality works on the players.

He seems very organised, and everyone knows how his teams are always defensively drilled , but I found it interesting to hear him tell players to go enjoy the games, to play, to pass the ball quickly.

Jaysus Alli is a lazy bugger in training ! Jose says it to him, but in a lighthearted way.
    Management is soo difficult these days, massaging egos etc ….

José is a top manager. He's being paid big wages. Levy appointed him and should get some credit for that.

Some people don't like Mourinho, I didn't but when he became Spurs manager I changed my mind.

Levy is not perfect but he is a very good chairman, we could have worse. I think he and Jose could be a good pairing and I think all reasonable fans will give Jose time to improve our team.

Maybe he will go on to be our best manager ever?

bit of a reach just yet. hes a guy who had extraordinary success but recent appointments have been underwhelming.

he's also in new ground in having to take a third/fourth best team that werent a title-aspiring side in terms of spending and recent history

and im not sure that his day to day interaction with the players is what they might all respond to, even if it isnt staged

i think hes a very interesting appointment, giving him 15m a year was a joke, bringing him in and not backing him is senseless, and as always it should make for a very interesting journey

pochs team was gone long before the cl final. burnley early 2019 was the beginning of the end

bit of a reach just yet. hes a guy who had extraordinary success but recent appointments have been underwhelming.

he's also in new ground in having to take a third/fourth best team that werent a title-aspiring side in terms of spending and recent history

and im not sure that his day to day interaction with the players is what they might all respond to, even if it isnt staged

i think hes a very interesting appointment, giving him 15m a year was a joke, bringing him in and not backing him is senseless, and as always it should make for a very interesting journey

pochs team was gone long before the cl final. burnley early 2019 was the beginning of the end

I'd say José knew what he was getting into before he signed. He must have known what his player budget was.

So Messi more than likely staying in Barcelona. How gutting for city but I think it was all a flexing by Messi. Poch rolled back on never managing Barcelona so be interesting to see how highly he is rated.

Very interesting links between Juventus and spurs for ndombele. Three juve players one being bernardezchi.

Also vega from Barcelona linked to us. Big week Ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Sign a starting LB and I will be very happy with the window

Add a good quality back up for Kane I’ll be over the moon

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Sign a starting LB and I will be very happy with the window

Add a good quality back up for Kane I’ll be over the moon

Agree with that, If Ali and son could re discover their mojo and a fully fit Kane,
    You never know

Agree with that, If Ali and son could re discover their mojo and a fully fit Kane,
    You never know

Our attacking options are excellent when you think that Kane, Son, Lucas, Alli, Lo Celso & Berwjin are Fighting for 4 spots. Then Lamela isn’t even in that group.

But with 1 injured and 1 out of form it becomes quite thin instantly.

Must be so hard to manage and balance that in a squad

You never know

Tanganga is also promoted to first team. Like a new signing.

I like the look of Tanganga. We could really do with him and/or Foyth making big progress this season. I’m not a big fan of either Sanchez or Dier as partner for Toby.

I really like what I’ve seen from Tanganga. Would be great if he could play 20/25 games beside Toby this year and develop

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Backup striker is absolutely essential. Get that and the window will have been very good.
    joeguevara wrote: »
    So Messi more than likely staying in Barcelona. How gutting for city but I think it was all a flexing by Messi. Poch rolled back on never managing Barcelona so be interesting to see how highly he is rated.
    Hi didn't actually go back on working for his Barca. The rest of the quote that was quoted ended with him saying his Espanyol ties meant he would never do it.

Kiith wrote: »
    Backup striker is absolutely essential. Get that and the window will have been very good.

Hi didn't actually go back on working for his Barca. The rest of the quote that was quoted ended with him saying his Espanyol ties meant he would never do it.

Every time he speaks it seems to be less and less sure. Was it 2017 he said that he would rather work on a farm than Barca. Then when he was on shortlist in 2019 he asked for more time. Barcelona be nuts to offer. Other reports are linking him to city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

Poch isn’t in demand by names he expected. He was passed over by Juve and Barca. Newcastle was the only solid link.

• Advertisement

Lost 2-1 to Watford.
    Joe Hart beaten something terrible for the first.

plenty of players away on national duty but it shows that we rely crazily on kane and one or two others for our style of play

another centre forward isnt just cover for injury, its cover against kanes need to rest, against a lack of form and it offers the ability to bloody well switch up our style a bit from time to time.

son, alli, bergwijn, whomever- none offer this

every team in europe knows how to play us.

jose is a tactician. give him tools.

Episodes 4 and 5 were less than inspiring. Danny Rose an interesting character but the documentary is very stale at this stage.

These season long documentaries are all very similar. The NFL have been doing them for years. They are almost copy and paste jobs.

First couple of episodes can keep people engaged because they are seeing sides to the players or management they’ve not seen before.

But pretty quickly you notice that you won’t be told anything of interest or anything in real detail for the simple reason the club wouldn’t want anything like failed transfers, tactics or bust ups out in the public

MrKingsley wrote: »
    These season long documentaries are all very similar. The NFL have been doing them for years. They are almost copy and paste jobs.

First couple of episodes can keep people engaged because they are seeing sides to the players or management they’ve not seen before.

But pretty quickly you notice that you won’t be told anything of interest or anything in real detail for the simple reason the club wouldn’t want anything like failed transfers, tactics or bust ups out in the public

Have you not watched "Sunderland til I Die" ??

Have you not watched "Sunderland til I Die" ??

Haha fair point. That was most definitely a dumpster fire of a club at that point though with David Brent running it

• Advertisement

levy is not coming across well. he seems to have an incredibly simplistic view of things (or he seems to think that fans will swallow his pretending to, at any rate).

also comes across as a good deal less classy/bright than i would have expected tbh

Good to see the tea lady is kept in the loop by Steve Hitchen during the transfer window. Was probably her that suggested Aurier.

season starts at the weekend. Thank god ?

At the Lane against Everton.

Game is on Sly Sports … "Aaaaand its live".

Still no back up striker....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

season starts at the weekend. Thank god ?

At the Lane against Everton.

Game is on Sly Sports … "Aaaaand its live".

Still no back up striker....
    I always likes Wilson from Bournemouth I thought they might have went for him . Having said that he has had his fair share of injuries and he didn’t look quiet as sharp at the end of last season when the pressure was in Bournemouth . We must be the only so called big club in the world with only one out and out striker !

levy is not coming across well. he seems to have an incredibly simplistic view of things (or he seems to think that fans will swallow his pretending to, at any rate).

also comes across as a good deal less classy/bright than i would have expected tbh

spoofer, charlatan, shyster, creep

• Advertisement
Advertisement