Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tottenham Hotspur Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

golfball37 wrote: »
    Can’t blame Mourinho. Watching the doc all he asks for in every game is aggression, determination effort etc. if a professional in any field can’t even follow basic instructions let alone have that in built then you are at nothing.
    Kane could switch off now

Granted I only saw the first half but by all accounts it was the better one.....

But Mourinho has been at the club nearly a year. He has to take responsibility for this team. If they arent following instructions then drop/sell them and play kids or squad players that will listen.

What surprised(and annoyed) me most was how happy we were to just sit off them in the first half. I don’t mind a counter attacking approach at all but we were so passive when they had possession in our half even.

This match was cry out for Sissoko in my opinion. Someone needed to put a bit of life in the team

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Granted I only saw the first half but by all accounts it was the better one.....

But Mourinho has been at the club nearly a year. He has to take responsibility for this team. If they arent following instructions then drop/sell them and play kids or squad players that will listen.

What surprised(and annoyed) me most was how happy we were to just sit off them in the first half. I don’t mind a counter attacking approach at all but we were so passive when they had possession in our half even.

This match was cry out for Sissoko in my opinion. Someone needed to put a bit of life in the team

Sissoko? Sissoko is an athlete with no football brain or skill. When he came on we looked worse. We needed Lo Celso or an interested Ndombele. It was a lack of control in midfield and a lack of creativity that killed us and those two are the only two squad players we have capable of supplying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Sissoko? Sissoko is an athlete with no football brain or skill. When he came on we looked worse. We needed Lo Celso or an interested Ndombele. It was a lack of control in midfield and a lack of creativity that killed us and those two are the only two squad players we have capable of supplying it.

We needed energy today. That was obvious after 15 minutes. That’s why I’m suggesting sissoko.

Winks was anonymous. Holberg could’ve done his job as well as his own

a total inability to pass that ball was the number one issue.

its alarming the lack of football talent at the club, and i have to say it- recruiting players for years because they trained hard and ran into the right positions has left us with a squad very very low on ability.

rodrigues took some touches today that made me want to weep, first match in the league at a new club and he looked so much better than anything we had because he doesnt hate the ball and want rid of it as soon as he gets it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭joeguevara

:)

I'm not the most forgiving types for rival fans coming into the spurs thread, especially as we were a sub thread completely separate to the soccer forum.

But seeing as your user name is very close to my surname and you did not act the pr1ck I read your posts on the match and you are a proper fan. Even the 'we are going to pull an Everton today at spurs'

We should have had two easy goals. Son should have played in lane but passed to all. Doherty should have scored. But ricarlison missed a sitter.

So a draw should be the end result but honestly a win is grand. Have a great deal of respect for Everton since the gomez son incident.

Love your manager. Touch of class. Allan is a great player. Coleman for the first half was best player on the pitch. He is a hero of mine. Honestly I didn't think much of James but way to early to tell.

Hope you took the post you quoted in good spirits. At least you didn't call me a cnut.

Apologies I completely forgot to say, fair play for calling me out on my post.

a total inability to pass that ball was the number one issue.

its alarming the lack of football talent at the club, and i have to say it- recruiting players for years because they trained hard and ran into the right positions has left us with a squad very very low on ability.

rodrigues took some touches today that made me want to weep, first match in the league at a new club and he looked so much better than anything we had because he doesnt hate the ball and want rid of it as soon as he gets it.

Didn't think much of James. Doherty was class. Hjolberg rubbish.

Listen we missed two sitters, Doherty and son fcuked up a lane pass. Everton missed a sitter with ricarlison. A draw would have been a fair result. Have to be careful as I'm on a yellow on this thread.

OK, real Joe. We were poor. So were Everton.

Doherty was class. Allan for them class. Moura good. Coleman amazing. James was poor I thought.

Actually can't stand winks. That's too much. I don't think he is a good enough player for us. Also I want two up front.

It's been a good few times that son didn't play kane in. Bit strange. For me Moura and Doherty were our only players. This week transfer activities are going to determine whether my positive and optimism is justified or whether I'm going to p1ss off the begrudgers.

And just remember the 1

https://youtu.be/pw1uAcsmlaA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I’m not a Mourinho fan but it looked like the players let him down today and he was right to call them out publicly on it.

Then again the buck stops at the manager for not getting them fit and/or motivated. Jose out.

Very interesting transfer speculation today after yesterday’s disaster.

Ranging from zings to Suárez with Sorloth too. Always loved Ings and could be a masterstroke if true. Interesting week ahead.

Must apologise for my Neville comment. Didn’t mean any disrespect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭golfball37

We’ve never replaced Dembele plain and simple. Pochs attrition style was good enough to beat 15 teams home and away as long as we scored first but soccer has moved on from that now.
    What id give to have Harry’s team back with Modric in midfield

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

That was a disgrace.
    What a waste of 96mins of my life.
    Cowardly , lazy players, not giving a fcuk.

They don't care, manager will get the blame.
    They have no supporters in the ground to let them know how sh1t they are, so why would they bother.

Id say Plovdiv are looking forward to beating us.

Ps. JOE getting a card !!!!!! Jesus , what have that team done to him !!!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Ormus wrote: »
    I’m not a Mourinho fan but it looked like the players let him down today and he was right to call them out publicly on it.

Then again the buck stops at the manager for not getting them fit and/or motivated. Jose out.

You're right. There was a lack of urgency and effort today and responsibility for that lies with individuals for me. But Jose's subs were ****ing stupid. And I say that as someone who rates Jose's game changing decision making. It just looked like a scattergun approach that hurt us more than helped us.

agree with that. subs were awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

It's difficult to get annoyed anymore by what's happening at Spurs - It certainly hasn't come as a shock.

I think we all saw it going this way a long time ago, it's like we've been watching a slow train crash.

Bit by bit our top quality team from 16/17 has been allowed to fall apart.

The quality is just not there anymore, the owners are inept but what can you do?

Winks
    Davies
    Sissoko
    Moura
    Dier.

Were all, for the most part, subs for Pochs team.
    Jose is now starting all of them.
    That's mismanagement , no other excuse. Absolute mismanagement.

The team are going backwards, but at least the Skywalk is okay for use.

greenspurs wrote: »
    Winks
    Davies
    Sissoko
    Moura
    Dier.

Were all, for the most part, subs for Pochs team.
    Jose is now starting all of them.
    That's mismanagement , no other excuse. Absolute mismanagement.

The team are going backwards, but at least the Skywalk is okay for use.

Winks and Sissoko started the biggest game in our history and many agreed Moura should have too.
    Jose is getting more from the same squad that Pochettino was. Too many of them are just not good enough

• Advertisement

poch got amazing things from a group of players, many of whom were/are limited.

it meant we were very inflexible and aside from eriksen not creative

playing a relentless style and unable to rotate or change formation, they burned out.

now jose asks big things from them and you see their limits, except they now have no enthusiasm and a few of them are showing their mileage.

ndombele, sessegnon, lo celso have come in but didnt do near enough combined last year to lift the team.

we have bought in a few more faces this year, but this malaise is long in the coming and will not be solved by one striker and im already not convinced it will be solved by changing manager

enic have positioned us for sale with their insistence on putting stadium and balance sheet and tv shows first and squeezing the pips out of a manager and squad that deserved so much more

enic have to go and its already too late to salvage this group of players imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

Only watched the first 3 episodes of the Amazon show, dont think i can be actually arsed to match any more after yesterdays miserable performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭gar

Watching episode 7 and the post Leipzig and Chelsea analysis could easily be about the Everton game just played

poch got amazing things from a group of players, many of whom were/are limited.

it meant we were very inflexible and aside from eriksen not creative

playing a relentless style and unable to rotate or change formation, they burned out.

now jose asks big things from them and you see their limits, except they now have no enthusiasm and a few of them are showing their mileage.

ndombele, sessegnon, lo celso have come in but didnt do near enough combined last year to lift the team.

we have bought in a few more faces this year, but this malaise is long in the coming and will not be solved by one striker and im already not convinced it will be solved by changing manager

enic have positioned us for sale with their insistence on putting stadium and balance sheet and tv shows first and squeezing the pips out of a manager and squad that deserved so much more

enic have to go and its already too late to salvage this group of players imo

Honestly for the last year and a half poch got very little from us. We didn't win a PL match after thrashing Everton 5-1 on 23 December. We had an amazing CL run but honestly it was last gasp roll of the dice. The CL final was ours to win but not with Kane. The semi was evidence of moura and Son being on fire.

Also poch lost the two best wing backs in the country.

I am always lukewarm on Poch. He was a good manager to get euros or even a third but never a title. Also his cup return was shocking. We should have beaten UTD in the semi after going ahead. I'm grateful for his effort but he left us in a shambles.

Also we lost one game. From how it has ignited our transfer business it may be the best thing to have happened.

I think we will have Bale and Mlk before October. Also another defender.

We will be leading by Christmas and we will definitely have at least one major cup at the end of the season. Jose will go down as our greatest modern manager.

One thing I am disappointed with is the card I got for saying something about neville who hadn't shut up about our weaknesses. Should go back to Spain and literally have the worst record of all time.

Anyone think that there is an issue between Kane and Son?

golfball37 wrote: »
    Winks and Sissoko started the biggest game in our history and many agreed Moura should have too.
    Jose is getting more from the same squad that Pochettino was. Too many of them are just not good enough

Please explain :
    Getting more out of the squad ??? really? have you watched the games ?

Too many not good enough ? We all know why, and its very little to do with our current and previous manager.

Anyway, look im done complaining, debating, reading , talking about this soulless club with no capability to do anything other than self implode , repeatedly, and treat those that care about the club with utter disdain.

As I have said, we will NEVER win anything while enic are running the club.
    NEVER.

ENIC OUT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,007 ✭✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Agreed, we could sign 2 or 3 more and get a bit of a short term bounce from it but the problems go way deeper then a shortage of quality.

Joe- milik has gone to another club is the reports

and you've picked me up wrong in your response- the squad burning out did indeed happen under poch, that everton game was a last hurrah (even then i remember that game well and we could have been a few goals down before we got a goal or two out of nowhere).

point being that this is not turning around any time soon. and with that in mind, i have severe doubts that mourinho at 15m a year and playing cod-dedicated for the camera is going to be the solution

im not as eh fanatic as the few lads here but looking at things im now firmly in the enic out camp, this club has the youth team, the stadium and the shirt and id be happy if everything else from first team through coaching staff and board/owners were all gone by next year and we built again with the football team the priority- because we're miles from that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Charliebull

I not sure Milik was ever in the picture joe

As for bale, wont happen, talk on the street is bale and Madrid have compromised , bale wants to return but it’s now up to levy,
    You know how that will end,

Enjoy our last season with Kane,

I'm seeing a lot of "tear it up and start again" sentiment from Spurs fans here and elsewhere. I think that's knee jerk and it seems to happen in every sport when things go wrong. I'm not sure why. Sunday was grim no doubt but we have a core of a good side.

I always think back to Tactics Tim's reign. At that point, I was becoming indifferent. And from that, without bringing in players for massive fees, Poch turned an unlikable squad into the most exciting one in the league. I believe Jose can transform this bunch of players in a similar way particularly with an addition or two.

i think knee jerk isnt quite the term id use for problems clearly signalled and unaddressed in any way going back over three seasons and the end result being a fall from title races and deep cl runs with a young coach and a young energetic team to what we saw not just last weekend but what we have seen many weekends- most weekends!- since moussa dembele left

i think knee jerk isnt quite the term id use for problems clearly signalled and unaddressed in any way going back over three seasons and the end result being a fall from title races and deep cl runs with a young coach and a young energetic team to what we saw not just last weekend but what we have seen many weekends- most weekends!- since moussa dembele left

Well there's a bit in there. The problems are not that the entire squad is now rubbish. Hugo, Doherty, GLC, Son, Kane are all very good to world class players. Alli has the talent, Bergwijn has potential, Dier has the attitude. Ndombele has frightening talent. So there is a lot of good in there albeit some of them need to pull the finger out.

I was a massive Poch fan. I thought he was dealt a ****ty hand by the club. It's very unfair to infer that Moussa Dembele, as fantastic as he was, was the major reason for Poch's success.

We have issues no doubt. But let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. Particularly after one game this season.

we've become the most poisoness club in the premier league

massive overhawl needed on the playing side but why would any top player consider us ?

next up there'll be a player mutiny v Jose and he'll be gone, but at least Eddie Howe is out of work and won't cost Daniel much - Joke !

Harry Kane's last season without a shadow of a doubt, good luck to him, hope he does well away from this toxic football club.

Harry Kane's last season without a shadow of a doubt, good luck to him, hope he does well away from this toxic football club.

That’s gotta be at least the 4th season in a row you’ve said that. You might be right one day.

Why would Spurs let Harry leave and if they did, what club would pay £150m for an injury prone 28 year old in the current climate?

why would he stay at a mid-table losers club ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ahh jaysus :pac:

Because he’s contracted to the club for starters.

Ornstein at The Athletic reporting that we’re close to a deal for Reguilon and in talks with Bale.

You gotta hope don’t you?

id welcome bale back, i see a lot of doubt but theres no doubt that bale with a bit of love shown him is still a top class talent, and gives us options in three or four positions. and a superstar for kane to share pressure with

i know nothing about reguilon but its clear we need a starting left back. davies is cover at best.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54171049

Something is afoot. They've quoted Bale's agent there saying he wants to come. Rumours that Alli goes the other way on loan.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Bale and Reguilon to us, and Deli to Real? That'd be a quick bit of business.

Deli has been ****e for a while now, but not sure about letting him go. Better to go abroad though if we do.

Kiith wrote: »
    Bale and Reguilon to us, and Deli to Real? That'd be a quick bit of business.

Deli has been ****e for a while now, but not sure about letting him go. Better to go abroad though if we do.

He goes on loan, it might not be the worst thing. He has bags of talent but he's stagnated. Also, you can see in the documentary that he's quite immature and kid-like. He could go and come back a man in every sense of the word.

I'd rather keep him but if he was to go and we got Bale, it could work out well for us.

dele is a 'moments' footballer

if the rest of the team don't chance an early pass, or press the other team, he really does look ordinary- or worse, on a day where he loses the ball trying stupid things, or lazing around.

but he has special talent imo, and is an excellent finisher.

i had thought mourinho was getting results with him, not over ninety minutes but certainly he was popping up and getting goals again when the team was without kane right at the start of mourinhos time.

id have mixed feelings were he part of any deal. he may never be the player we saw a few years back again. or, in the right setup, he might be the x factor that teams pay huge money for.

I doubt Dele is going anywhere, but I suppose stranger things have happened.

I doubt Bale is coming either, his family are settled in Madrid and he likes playing golf in the sun. He’d probably be a waste of money for Spurs. Would be and exciting trip down memory lane though. I kinda hope it happens just for the buzz of it.

• Advertisement

A loan deal to a team in Spain or Italy would be ideal, we need him to rediscover form so we can sell him for as much as possible. His time at spurs is done and we are never going to see anything like the form of 3 or 4 seasons ago from him again, at least not in a spurs Jersey anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Add Ramsey to the mix too by the looks of things

That left back looks good and badly needed

Look we won’t get the same bale that left 7 years ago but fcuk he is still better than most of the muck we have impersonating players

Can't see the Bale move ending in anything but tears if he does come.

8-9 years ago he was riding the crest of a wave. Cheered on in packed stadiums and admired by fans everywhere and not just his own club.

Comes back to the scene of his former glories but instead this time he has to play in empty stadiums, surrounded by frustrated, fed up players and coaching staff, in a team spiralling downwards and we expect a player of questionable motivation himself to lift all those around him? No chance.

Bale said in an interview today he was a Tottenham fan, can't be a co-incidence. I'd love him to come back and Dele to go tbh. Alli hasn't tried a leg since his pay rise, very noticeable in the Amazon doc Levy saw it as a missed opportunity to fleece United when Jose said Sir Alex said they should sign Dele Alli.

The Bale deal being mooted is - Real pay 50% of his wages we pay the rest which is 300k. Dele is on 150k and if he goes other way Real pay the full amount of that. Basically we get Bale for the same weekly cost as Dele is currently.

Don't know much about the left back but know we need one urgently ! He's only on 36k pw at Real so a pay rise for him will be well within budget too.

Can't see the Bale move ending in anything but tears if he does come.

8-9 years ago he was riding the crest of a wave. Cheered on in packed stadiums and admired by fans everywhere and not just his own club.

Comes back to the scene of his former glories but instead this time he has to play in empty stadiums, surrounded by frustrated, fed up players and coaching staff, in a team spiralling downwards and we expect a player of questionable motivation himself to lift all those around him? No chance.

You should give Jose a lesson on how to give team talks. Proper rousing that was...

Pretty depressing, I know.

Anyway, moving away from transfer talk and back to the on field problems.

I often wonder how it feels to be a professional footballer who is contracted to tottenham hotspurs. Over the last 5-10 years it has been obvious that football is secondary and the clubs primary concern is too make money and increase in value. This is no secret, the club owners and management don't hide it. The coaching staff know it, the players know it, the academy trainee's know it, the tea lady knows it. But how does it actually feel to be a professional player, to come to work everyday, to be asked to give it your all, to make the sacrifices a professional player must make, to know you have an extremely rare talent and a limited time to enjoy it and yet you know that deep down, at the back of your mind your talent, your gift, your passion is not the most important thing in the world to your employer, something else is. How do you motivate yourself and others around you to do your job to the best of your ability week after week after week in the knowledge that what you regard as a success is not the shared view of those who employee you.

• Advertisement

its impossible to judge bale on his time at real, a club that really turns its back on foreign stars when they decide to blame them for its woes

way i look at it, its a better bet signing a guy with something to prove, at a club that loves him, and for his age he hasnt put too many miles on the clock.

course it could all go wrong. any signing could. look at ndombelly.

but more than that its an actual show of intent, a reaction to Sunday and a boost to the squad's competitiveness. it would also signal that mourinho has a big say on things- an older star with huge wages coming in with no eye to sell-on value or anything.

i take more positive than negative from it, and if he gets and stays fit he absolutely has the potential to transform that first xi

I often wonder how it feels to be a professional footballer who is contracted to tottenham hotspurs. Over the last 5-10 years it has been obvious that football is secondary and the clubs primary concern is too make money and increase in value. This is no secret, the club owners and management don't hide it. The coaching staff know it, the players know it, the academy trainee's know it, the tea lady knows it. But how does it actually feel to be a professional player, to come to work everyday, to be asked to give it your all, to make the sacrifices a professional player must make, to know you have an extremely rare talent and a limited time to enjoy it and yet you know that deep down, at the back of your mind your talent, your gift, your passion is not the most important thing in the world to your employer, something else is. How do you motivate yourself and others around you to do your job to the best of your ability week after week after week in the knowledge that what you regard as a success is not the shared view of those who employee you.

cant name too many clubs that worry too much about their employees validation on the top tier of maslows hierarchy

the lads are here, at a big club. they are getting paid very well. they have all they need to succeed.

sure, they could get paid more elsewhere. sure, they could be at a club where the entire setup is mawkish but emotionally powerful.

id need to see more of them suffer the way i see kane suffer when things dont go well before id give them much bloody credit for the pangs they feel about the club viewing them as assets and not precious talents.

players that felt so keenly about making the best of themselves wouldn't be so quick to look at anyone but themselves when they turn in yet another performance like that travesty the last day.

the minimum to demand is professional pride and the vast majority of our first xi dont clear that bar. lets start with that- they have no excuses as far as im concerned.

I presume this is tongue in cheek? Every football club is a business. Professionals footballers play for money. If they need further inspiration, they play for the fans, their teammates and maybe the coach.

this splurge now makes me angry all over again at how we let things come to this. will never know if poch was a blocker on deals during those windows where we couldn't get anyone in, or if he genuinely couldnt agree to bring in the ****e levy was bargaining for, but its clear that levy wasnt giving the guy what he needed.

ah well the past is a different country and we cannot go back

The Daily Record is reporting that we’ve agreed deals with Real for both players.

I really doubt they know, but I wanna believe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement