Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tottenham Hotspur Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Wout Weghorst being strongly linked now for the backup striker role. Centre back is a glaring weakness now... a real leader there and we'd be in business.

Alli being linked with a move away again, with PSG mentioned. I'd love to see him stay and turn things around, the talent is there but he has definitely regressed over the past 2 years. It's hard to justify giving him a number 10 role in any team at present... can he evolve into either more of a number 8, or more of a wide forward?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Hard to come in after a 5-2 win and start with the negative so I won't.

What can you say about Kane and Son. Just amazing. Also puts an end to the rumours of an issue between them as Kane was absolutely delighted for Sonny after every goal.

Is there a role for Harry to play deeper and have Son, Bale or Moura playing off him? I dunno, probably not. In a time before VAR Kane himself would have had a hatrick today too.

Ndombele did well to turn and ride those challenges when setting up Son for the first. I was disappointed to see him go off but I guess the substitution paid off in spades in the 2nd half by the excellent LoCelso. Winks should have been the one to make way but by all accounts the substitution was pre arranged due to fittest concerns, upcoming games this week and Ndombele carrying an injury. If that's not the case, you'd wonder how Ndombele is meant to get any momentum or confidence going under Mourinho.

All that been said, defense is mess. Not just the back 4 but how we defend as a team. The first 44 mins of that game was abysmal. Worst than last week and that takes some doing.
    The BT commentors remarked just before half time how our heads were down, the body language was bad and there just didn't seem to be a plan. Sanchez, Dier and Davies hitting aimless long balls to no one in particular. I'd be seriously concerned how we might cope against an attacking side like Liverpool, City, wolves or Chelsea. We would take a real hiding soon if we don't sort that out.

Lastly, every man and his dog knew we needed a new left back, right back, defensive midfielder and supporting attacker to take the pressure off Kane and fair play to Mourinho and Levy, they have done just that. If we could just nail down a new centre back, someone with experience, someone like a Kompany or a John Terry. That's the last piece of the puzzle.

a word for the full backs and keeper at critical moments today, doherty more than once came back, stayed on his feet, made it awkward for the threat on that side and i thought that the time the opposing players on his side had in critical areas was notably better than when aurier plays

and davies, who i especially moan about because i think we ask very strange things from a guy of his skillset which leaves him badly exposed, made a huge block and had a couple of other decisive moments in the box when the game was in the balance

we have hugo to thank for being anywhere near in the game before son and harry started firing.

the centre halves, hojbjerg and winks on the other hand need a lot of work. thats four pins on the board that really need to move and react a lot better as a unit.

i think alli has reached a very common stage of the mercurial teenage english wonderkid journey.

made it into a team and made a huge impression

rode that early wave and solidified moments of brilliance while maybe not putting in the right work into his consistency, discipline, professionalism, etc

now still credit him for a few brilliant years, but delivering intermittently when its a novelty and delivering when its expected or the pressure is on are two entirely different things, especially when your first few tricks are a known quantity

he hits a bad patch. questions get asked. team isnt doing well. red cards.

i think theres a case to say he stalled there as a player overall, as a figure in the squad, despite fits and starts since. good enough, in or around england setup, big contract, plays for a big club. sound.

very very rarely does an english player pull out of the malaise after their first peak, and when they do the presence of an interested coach whose authority is unquestioned at the club seems to be a factor.

im not sure mourinho is interested- he will not tolerate a flaky player in a key role, and dele is not adaptable enough to be useful in a squad where the tactic isnt based on his pretty rare skillset.

the coming english talent is trending towards players brought through under tactical, youth/education oriented managers such as pep or klopp, but very interestingly the next contingent seems to be young players that left england to play every week at a competitive level in the bundesliga, where the education of a footballer is not left to personal motivation nor chance but is an ongoing process that starts far earlier than in england and continues well after they break into their first squad

ok so far so much blather, its a half-connected set of thoughts but with the above in my head i think im more than half convinced that dele will stay the puzzle he is if he stays at spurs, and if not psg, then certainly some major change in his circumstances is needed to force him out of his "this will do" level of interest and performance.

it may be that jose sees a short sharp shock as the only way he can jolt him, and if that doesnt work then in itself that is the sign that nothing would have worked.

interesting few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

Alli’s downward spiral started just after he got his pay rise in December 18, he actually wasn’t even that good up to that the same season.
    I’d drive him to where ever he wanted to go same as Eriksen, thanks for the good memories but good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

On Alli. We can be sure that Levy will be holding out for what he was worth 3/4 years ago (60 mill plus). Not a hope he is worth that.

What teams do anyone realistically think he would improve that could afford him?

No one in England anyway. Saw PSG mentioned earlier. They might be lose enough with the cash but he would only be a squad player for them

I’m seriously struggling to think of a plausible landing spot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

abff wrote: »
    I wonder what kind of team we’ll play on Tuesday? Can’t afford to field too weak a team, but also need to have a strong enough team for Thursday.

I'd expect wholesale changes, with a few of the big names on the bench just in case. Something like:

Hart
    Aurier - Toby - Carter-Vickers/Foyth - Sessegnon/Cirkin
    Sissoko - White - Alli
    Clarke - Lucas - Lamela

Maybe Gedson in there somewhere (I'd forgotten about him completely until I looked up our squad). Tanganga would be in there but he's injured as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

i think alli has reached a very common stage of the mercurial teenage english wonderkid journey.

made it into a team and made a huge impression

rode that early wave and solidified moments of brilliance while maybe not putting in the right work into his consistency, discipline, professionalism, etc

now still credit him for a few brilliant years, but delivering intermittently when its a novelty and delivering when its expected or the pressure is on are two entirely different things, especially when your first few tricks are a known quantity

he hits a bad patch. questions get asked. team isnt doing well. red cards.

i think theres a case to say he stalled there as a player overall, as a figure in the squad, despite fits and starts since. good enough, in or around england setup, big contract, plays for a big club. sound.

very very rarely does an english player pull out of the malaise after their first peak, and when they do the presence of an interested coach whose authority is unquestioned at the club seems to be a factor.

im not sure mourinho is interested- he will not tolerate a flaky player in a key role, and dele is not adaptable enough to be useful in a squad where the tactic isnt based on his pretty rare skillset.

the coming english talent is trending towards players brought through under tactical, youth/education oriented managers such as pep or klopp, but very interestingly the next contingent seems to be young players that left england to play every week at a competitive level in the bundesliga, where the education of a footballer is not left to personal motivation nor chance but is an ongoing process that starts far earlier than in england and continues well after they break into their first squad

ok so far so much blather, its a half-connected set of thoughts but with the above in my head i think im more than half convinced that dele will stay the puzzle he is if he stays at spurs, and if not psg, then certainly some major change in his circumstances is needed to force him out of his "this will do" level of interest and performance.

it may be that jose sees a short sharp shock as the only way he can jolt him, and if that doesnt work then in itself that is the sign that nothing would have worked.

interesting few days.

Well said

MrKingsley wrote: »
    On Alli. We can be sure that Levy will be holding out for what he was worth 3/4 years ago (60 mill plus). Not a hope he is worth that.

What teams do anyone realistically think he would improve that could afford him?

No one in England anyway. Saw PSG mentioned earlier. They might be lose enough with the cash but he would only be a squad player for them

I’m seriously struggling to think of a plausible landing spot

i have long thought that dele alli could be an incredible fit at bayern, and thiago might just have left an opening

can improve him, can afford him, his skillset would be exactly what they will be looking to replace in the long term with muller at 31 and the aforementioned english talent doing it in the bundesliga may well convince both parties that the path can be travelled.

for the sake of the player he could be, id love to see it happen if the price was right for us

• Advertisement

i have long thought that dele alli could be an incredible fit at bayern, and thiago might just have left an opening

can improve him, can afford him, his skillset would be exactly what they will be looking to replace in the long term with muller at 31 and the aforementioned english talent doing it in the bundesliga may well convince both parties that the path can be travelled.

for the sake of the player he could be, id love to see it happen if the price was right for us

I’d love it if they were interested.

I just don’t see how any self respecting person in charge of the purse strings would go for him.

We missed the boat to sell him and Dier 4 years ago. That was the chance to give Poch his kitty.

And I’m not moaning here just think that that ship has sailed

If Bayern were to offer 30 million now I’d snap their hands, arms and any other limbs off.

We’ve got bale back for 20 million. We all know who we’d rather between the two of them.

when you think what we could have gotten for rose, dier, alli, eriksen in the summer we sold walker for 55 million we could very likely have built the stadium, or given poch the guts of 300m

its a reminder that

a. hindsight is easy!

and

b. selling a first team player for big money is not always a small-time move

but those guys, for all they either disappointed us since or left for a lot less than they were worth that year, contributed to some great years

funny old game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

A good win, if not the good performance in defending.
    Its still a strange one, isn't it.

We were rubbish against Everton, and lost.
    We were poor in the 1st half , and Lets be honest, Southampton went asleep at the back in the second half.
    While the passing and finishing were top class, I don't think Son and Harry will get so much space to run into off any other team this season.

We'll take the 3 points though :)

Alli - Hmmm its difficult.
    Who would you pick to sell out of Alli - Lamela - Moura though ? (if we have to sell 1 of them or more ?)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Glebee

I hope Alli finds his groove soon. Id hate to see him sold to another premier league team..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭jiltloop

greenspurs wrote: »

We were poor in the 1st half , and Lets be honest, Southampton went asleep at the back in the second half.
    While the passing and finishing were top class, I don't think Son and Harry will get so much space to run into off any other team this season.

Who would you pick to sell out of Alli - Lamela - Moura though ? (if we have to sell 1 of them or more ?)

I think out of those 3 it would be Alli me. Lamela although inconsistent as well at least always looks passionate and up for any game he plays in, can't say the same for Alli. Then Moura has just given me enough good memories that I'd like him to stay. Things could have been so much different if he had played that final, he may have been cemented as a club legend. I'd love to see him get the chance again.

jiltloop wrote: »
    I think out of those 3 it would be Alli me. Lamela although inconsistent as well at least always looks passionate and up for any game he plays in, can't say the same for Alli. Then Moura has just given me enough good memories that I'd like him to stay. Things could have been so much different if he had played that final, he may have been cemented as a club legend. I'd love to see him get the chance again.

I think Moura is getting away with a lot for sentimental reasons.
    7 goals last season in 49 appearances.
    15 in 49 the previous season …

I wouldn't care if himself and Lamela were got rid of.

Neither have the talent that Alli has (I know hes not showing it either, but he has it) , but if they got a big money offer from PSG or Bayern - take it !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I think Moura is getting away with a lot for sentimental reasons.
    7 goals last season in 49 appearances.
    15 in 49 the previous season …

I wouldn't care if himself and Lamela were got rid of.

Neither have the talent that Alli has (I know hes not showing it either, but he has it) , but if they got a big money offer from PSG or Bayern - take it !

You're probably right :D

There's nothing more frustrating than wasted or underachieving talent. I'd rather see someone less talented giving 100% than someone really talented just not doing it. It would be great to see Alli step up again but I just can't see him doing it, it seems to be so long since we've seen him show his best.

if the money was right id sell any one of them, but if just one had to go then lamela simply doesnt play enough and gives it away a lot when he does

lucas always available, always tries his best, but end product very frustrating.

alli, as discussed above. hed be the last id sell, but balance that against his being the biggest potential fee and certainly the likeliest disruption if not playing. and even then id be basing it on memories/potential and not performances taking the last three years as a measure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

What a win and what a positive start to the week. Get through the UEFA qualifiers and we are golden. Looking forward to seeing who we will get in before the deadline but looks like a CB and a striker.

Out of the 3 Id be happiest with Delli being sold as apart from a 3 game purple patch when Jose arrived, he has been hopeless since. Moura and Lamela have more heart but listen, I bow down to what management want. I do agree that we seem to have too many players in certain positions so cut our cloth.

Was amazing to see Bale in a spurs jersey in his promo shorts. Number 9 as well.

COYS.

right have we done a "pick yr first xi" since the signings?

lloris

doherty alderweireld sanchez davies reguilon

lo celso ndombele

bale kane son

davies thrives as the left in a three for wales and i think jose has always had that in mind for him

its good to have options. bench there includes dier, hojbjerg, sessegnon, aurier, lamela, sissoko, winks, alli, foyth

obv hojbjerg comes in if we are playing a team that might beat us for possession, but then we would maybe set up as a 4 1 2 3 which changes mind again

if we sign a striker/cb and shed a few as discussed i still think that depth, experience and tactical options have improved as well as actual quality

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

lloris

doherty alderweireld sanchez reguilon

lo celso Holjberg ndombele

bale kane son

• Advertisement

Alli would absolutely be first out the door for me.

I love lamela and his attitude. Never moans about game time(probably because he knows he hasn’t been good enough when he has played)

I think Lucas is always a great option to have because of his pace.

But simply put, those two give a **** when they play. Alli drifts through games. When things are going well, great but that is far too seldom

no arguing with those two posts lads tbf

right have we done a "pick yr first xi" since the signings?

lloris

doherty alderweireld sanchez davies reguilon

lo celso ndombele

bale kane son

davies thrives as the left in a three for wales and i think jose has always had that in mind for him

its good to have options. bench there includes dier, hojbjerg, sessegnon, aurier, lamela, sissoko, winks, alli, foyth

obv hojbjerg comes in if we are playing a team that might beat us for possession, but then we would maybe set up as a 4 1 2 3 which changes mind again

if we sign a striker/cb and shed a few as discussed i still think that depth, experience and tactical options have improved as well as actual quality

I’d have Tanganga instead of Sanchez and put Toby in the middle of the 3.

Hojbjerg instead of Ndombélé, no way Jose will ever trust Ndombélé in the holding role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

I love Ali, bags of Talent but it's time to go.

I'd keep Moura as a squad player, he's not good enough for the first 11.

Lamella has heart but is out too often. Don't mind if he's kept as a squad player or let go.

Spurs defence of Toby and Sanchez is Better than Toby and Dier.

looks like Orient may have to forefit the fixture

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, number of their 1st team have tested positive apparently. Hopefully it's not too bad for them.

Isn’t Kane involved with Orient at some level ?

did he sponsor the jerseys

looks like Orient may have to forefit the fixture

Unlucky for them but excellent for us

did he sponsor the jerseys

Think so

• Advertisement

Lingard to replace Alii, if he goes ?????

How could anyone be happy with that ?? (if true) !!!

i havent seen a lot of lingaard bit isnt the criticism of him that hes a tidy attacking player with zero end product

thats somewhat of a polar opposite to alli who is a "bad 89 mins, scattered genius" type of player

mourinho, in a "give the opposition the ball, force the mistake, use the ball efficiently" system that he absolutely commits to, is clearly going to prefer option 1 there tbf

Ormus wrote: »
    I’d have Tanganga instead of Sanchez and put Toby in the middle of the 3.

Hojbjerg instead of Ndombélé, no way Jose will ever trust Ndombélé in the holding role.

forgot tanganga, that was a nice reminder! maybe gets in ahead of either sanchez/davies

hojbjerg is absolutely the one from the bench likely to push in there, but personally with three at the back id see less need for screen and ive not been impressed with hojbjerg on the ball at all so far

Lingard to replace Alii, if he goes ?????

How could anyone be happy with that ?? (if true) !!!

think that rumour has been nipped in the bud and I hope so

terrible overrated player who offers us nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Lamela. He’s had plenty of time to prove his worth and he’s never done that.

Ali could rediscover his form and if he does he’d be quality and could also provide something different.

Moura gives 100% ever time and makes nice runs from deep that pull runners away from Kane and son. Plenty of pace too and chips in with important goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

I'm hearing rumours that we will get a bye into the next round of the LG cup apparently some of the Orient team have covid..

forgot tanganga, that was a nice reminder! maybe gets in ahead of either sanchez/davies

hojbjerg is absolutely the one from the bench likely to push in there, but personally with three at the back id see less need for screen and ive not been impressed with hojbjerg on the ball at all so far

Yeah I’m a bit on the fence about him myself, but I reckon Jose will be a big fan and he’ll be very much a regular

What has Lamela done in seven years at the club? A rabona and wound up Fabregas.

I’d keep him ahead of getting Jesse Lingard though, I shudder to think we’d consider signing him tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

davycc wrote: »
    I'm hearing rumours that we will get a bye into the next round of the LG cup apparently some of the Orient team have covid..

Seems to be true. Looks like you're been given a walkover as players health can't be guaranteed.

Mandatory testing has been reduced in league 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

golfball37 wrote: »
    What has Lamela done in seven years at the club? A rabona and wound up Fabregas.

I’d keep him ahead of getting Jesse Lingard though, I shudder to think we’d consider signing him tbh.

That's enough for him to be given a statue and lifetime contract for me.

Spurs paid for Orient squad to get tested.

"Tottenham had paid for Orient’s players and staff to be tested on Saturday after their 2-2 draw with Mansfield Town, before the match tomorrow." The Times

Glebee wrote: »
    Spurs paid for Orient squad to get tested.

"Tottenham had paid for Orient’s players and staff to be tested on Saturday after their 2-2 draw with Mansfield Town, before the match tomorrow." The Times

Eye opener for FA if true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Glebee wrote:

Wait, what?

Are these clubs not obliged to be testing done themselves already? Could they not afford it or something?

Imagine if they hadn't been tested and passed it on, incubating for 3 days and the whole squad is goosed by the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Wait, what?

Are these clubs not obliged to be testing done themselves already? Could they not afford it or something?

Imagine if they hadn't been tested and passed it on, incubating for 3 days and the whole squad is goosed by the weekend.

Clearly not, otherwise it wouldn't have been necessary for Spurs to pay for the testing. Sensible precaution for Spurs to take.

I wonder have our opponents on Thursday been tested?

• Advertisement

No decision yet on wheter tonights match against the Orient is still on, I suppose no word means its not cancelled.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Dan Kilpatrick said he thinks it will be cancelled, with Spurs getting a bye into the next round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Kiith wrote: »
    Dan Kilpatrick said he thinks it will be cancelled, with Spurs getting a bye into the next round.

Their ground is closed, so presumably they'll switch to the Lane if the match goes ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

abff wrote: »
    Their ground is closed, so presumably they'll switch to the Lane if the match goes ahead.

Fcuck that. Wouldn't have them within 100 miles of us.

It’s confirmed that tonight’s game is called off but no confirmation yet that we get a bye despite the next round being due to start in 6 days time. I suppose we could play two games in a day if needs be, save the lads having to shower in between games.

• Advertisement
Advertisement