Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tottenham Hotspur Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

I agree a lot with Snoop and in an overall context Jose has done a great job to this point. I think to see how much better the defence is this year is testament to the work that has gone on in the training ground. Hugo is in great form and no fannying about with those short passes which he cannot do, big plus. Toby looks back to his best, Dier is playing much better this season (but still is someway short of Jan at his best and will not get there IMO), Aurier actually looks like he knows how to defend and not give away stupid penalties/fouls (but still would prefer Doherty there when he gets back to his best) and Reggie is like one of the Pool fullbacks, the real deal. So much more organised, much harder to beat this year. So we're definitely on the right track and so much better than the disarray in Poch's final months.
    I just think that last night was as good a time as any to beat them at Anfield-and every club knows how hard that is. They have had serious injuries to some key players and little or no crowd allowed in. Their defence looks vulnerable, their midfield is unsettled with injuries and their front three are nothing like they were last year (IMO). But that team still sets the benchmark. By comparison City look a pale shadow of themselves.
    So, for me, a real opportunity lost. We should have gone out and imposed ourselves on the game from the off and the team selected was a bit too cautious for me.
    But in this strange year this league is much more open than recent years. We need 3 points on Sunday to get back on track-Liverpool won't have it easy against Palace that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

In all José’s completed seasons as a manager, where his team stood in the table after 12 games is where they finished.

We were top after 12 games - believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

golfball37 wrote: »
    In all José’s completed seasons as a manager, where his team stood in the table after 12 games is where they finished.

We were top after 12 games - believe

Bit of a strange stat. What happend in the 13th game and 14th?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Id be looking for more evenness from our fans tbh

Jose is gonna Jose. Under that, are we seeing progress?

I think undeniably.

Should we have been giving it the big one about league titles? Nope.

Has he tried to manage that in his statements? Yep.

In criticising his tactics, his selections, could anyone hand on heart name the manager who would have us in a better position?

Is effective counter-attack "ugly" or "bad" football? I watched the last two years of Pochs possession system become a parody of winks-trippier-winks-davies-winks passes and conceding on the break from a deep cross.

This is no worse than that just because Jose has told Aurier, Sissoko and the rest of our defence "clear it first, ask questions later".

We need to find a balance in midfield, but the players are there. Seems to me no matter what he does Jose is at fault here.

Play Ndombele, LO CELSO DROPPED

Play Bergwijn BALE DROPPED (the man is off sick, well reported ffs, we will reap the benefits of managing him to fitness later on imo) DELE DROPPED (dele alli has not given this team ninety minutes in two years and Mourinho is 100% right to seek dedication and commitment before he gets near this team again imo)

It's not that Jose is infallible or you have to support every decision he makes.

It's that last night we went to Anfield, the home of the champions, played poorly, could have (should have, imo) won, to stay top of the ****in league. Instead we lost to the one defensive weakness that Jose has not managed to address yet in the year he has had in the job- despite working wonders with what he inherited on that front imo. And we know he wants a left sided commanding centre half!

An inquest of the despairing/angry tones I'm seeing all over the web is nuts, to me.

imo we are seeing the next step from what Poch achieved. Expectations, solidity, elimination of errors and consequences for players for not executing.

Its good times imo!

Well said Snoop

Jose left field attack on Kloop last night also shows where he thinks this team is at,

Sonny Puskas!

Bergwijn taking some abuse on social media, im no saint when it comes to giving stick to players that i dont think are giving their best but the lad is coming good and was just unlucky imo, its a shame to see it

Sonny Puskas!

Bergwijn taking some abuse on social media, im no saint when it comes to giving stick to players that i dont think are giving their best but the lad is coming good and was just unlucky imo, its a shame to see it

Agreed, Sad to see that carry on, good lad who gives his all
    Should he have scored one if not two, yes
    First was a bad miss, second was unlucky to some extent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭Glebee

I can never understand how lads in these lads positions want or need social media accounts where all sorts of nut jobs can post any sort of sh1te and abuse on it. I must be getting old.

Im sure there's financial incentives in racking up a few million followers etc

Glebee wrote: »
    I can never understand how lads in these lads positions want or need social media accounts where all sorts of nut jobs can post any sort of sh1te and abuse on it. I must be getting old.

I don’t even know how it works 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Glebee wrote: »

They should just join us on Boards..
    Shur theres no trolling or abuse on here :P

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

I think Sunday against Leicester has all of a sudden become a massive game . For me we played as well as most will at anfield but we need to beat Leicester now to get back on the horse quickly and avoid going 3 league games without a win in the lead up to Xmas .

Two teams set up to counter

Be very interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Two teams set up to counter

Be very interesting

tenor.gif

I see poor little Klopp is outraged that the 5 subs proposal was rejected again.......

Even though he made NO subs against us on Weds night......
    Not so happy now, is he...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

greenspurs wrote: »
    I see poor little Klopp is outraged that the 5 subs proposal was rejected again.......

Even though he made NO subs against us on Weds night......
    Not so happy now, is he...

To be fair, the squad has enough injuries that there was no-one on the bench that wasn’t a massive drop in ability... Keita and Ox just returning from injury and both a million miles away from fitness were about the best of the bunch - and the intensity of that game was not the situation you want to bring recovering players back into, unless you want them extending the injury.

The whole point of the 5 subs is that it helps you keep a squad fit. It’s of no use when the damage is already done, but would really help teams and players in the latter half of the season. But teams financial welfare has always trumped player welfare, and in this situation it’s proven no different. It just is what it is.

<edit> in general it feels like arguments against it are fuelled more by who’s saying it than by the issue itself - one of the more annoying aspects of any football discussion. The argument is not that all teams should have to make 5 subs every game. It’s that if you have the option to make 5 subs, it’s a great extra tool at your disposal to keep players fit and healthy. It’s a fairly obvious and inarguable point - the counterpoint is just that squads staying fit and healthy benefits big teams more than small ones, which is why they vote against it even where it means they’ll likely have more injuries themselves as a result.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    To be fair, the squad has enough injuries that there was no-one on the bench that wasn’t a massive drop in ability... Keita and Ox just returning from injury and both a million miles away from fitness were about the best of the bunch - and the intensity of that game was not the situation you want to bring recovering players back into, unless you want them extending the injury.

The whole point of the 5 subs is that it helps you keep a squad fit. It’s of no use when the damage is already done, but would really help teams and players in the latter half of the season. But teams financial welfare has always trumped player welfare, and in this situation it’s proven no different. It just is what it is.

Spurs have had 27 injuries this year.. Liverpool have 24.

Spurs have had 27 injuries this year.. Liverpool have 24.

Ok... I don’t understand what point you’re making...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Spurs voted for the 5 subs too, just for the record.

Welcome to Tottenham lads.

And to keep the squad fit, you have to rotate the first 11 with some off the bench, but you say theres "a massive drop in ability" - So how can you rotate the squad if Klopp thinks what he had on the bench isnt good enough?
    Fully fit Miramino ? Origi ?

• Advertisement

Welcome to Tottenham lads.

And to keep the squad fit, you have to rotate the first 11 with some off the bench, but you say theres "a massive drop in ability" - So how can you rotate the squad if Klopp thinks what he had on the bench isnt good enough?
    Fully fit Miramino ? Origi ?

You’ve literally just ignored the bit where I explained it after the bit you bolded... a fit Ox, Keita, Thiago, Tsimikas, Jota, Milner, Matip, Gomez etc make a bench much more usable. Minamino and Origi are ok in certain circumstances, just not the circumstances of that particular game. Neither are terribly likely to make the bench in a full strength squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

If teams in the bottom half believe its an advantage to top teams to be able to make 5 subs per game they are completely right to vote against it.

While there is some merit to having 5 subs, especially now its not that simple.

So let's say Spurs are playing Sheff united, is 1-1 with 15 mins to go. Spurs already made 2 subs, Gio and Berg win. With 15 to go José brings on Bale, Vinicious and Moura, it has to be a big advantage over Sheff U who won't have as much fresh talent to bring off his bench.

Like I said, I'm Wilder and my chairman asks me are we for or against 5 sub, would be a massive no.

Expecting bottom sides to vote any other way is just plain stupid.

**** Klopp, I'm glad he's pissed off.

Hard to take a man with teeth that white serious

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    If teams in the bottom half believe its an advantage to top teams to be able to make 5 subs per game they are completely right to vote against it.

Expecting bottom sides to vote any other way is just plain stupid.

Yup, as said, clubs will always vote for their financial benefit over player welfare, so the result is absolutely no surprise, regardless what clubs like Spurs and Liverpool want.

Though I’d say more naive than stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Yup, as said, clubs will always vote for their financial benefit over player welfare, so the result is absolutely no surprise, regardless what clubs like Spurs and Liverpool want.

Though I’d say more naive than stupid.

Calling it player welfare seems a bit dramatic. They’re not gonna die, they’re just slightly more likely to pull a hammy. Even that gets exaggerated.

The premier league is big business, any chairman who’d vote to disadvantage their club would need their head examined.

Ormus wrote: »
    Calling it player welfare seems a bit dramatic. They’re not gonna die, they’re just slightly more likely to pull a hammy. Even that gets exaggerated.

The premier league is big business, any chairman who’d vote to disadvantage their club would need their head examined.

It’s exactly what it says it is, the welfare of players. I’m not sure what’s dramatic about a fairly simple benign descriptive term. It’s just reducing the chances of muscle and ligament injuries in pro athletes (30% more than usual this season), which I’m sure is important to them at least, though of course not to their clubs as it evens the odds a little if more players are injured.

To be clear, both sides - Spurs et al on one side, and Sheff Utd et al on the other - are doing what’s best for their own clubs. One of those sides also happens to be better for all the players (hence the PFA rowing in very strongly behind 5 subs, to no effect).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Pool had a couple of seasons without too many major injuries to their spine. Now they have suffered more injuries to their spine and beyond, their manager is whining. Boo hoo, ye are the best team on the planet, get on wit it.

Klopp may be worried about player welfare, why wouldn't he. That is not the reason he's bitching. He wants to win, gain an advantage any way he can. Its what all good managers do. If he can gain an advantage and pretend he's a saint, good for him.

We all know what he's up too, so do pool fans. Just stop pretending ur mother fukn Theresa!

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Pool had a couple of seasons without too many major injuries to their spine. Now they have suffered more injuries to their spine and beyond, their manager is whining. Boo hoo, ye are the best team on the planet, get on wit it.

Klopp may be worried about player welfare, why wouldn't he. That is not the reason he's bitching. He wants to win, gain an advantage any way he can. Its what all good managers do. If he can gain an advantage and pretend he's a saint, good for him.

We all know what he's up too, so do pool fans. Just stop pretending ur mother fukn Theresa!

It’s mad how tribalistic this stuff gets beyond the football. Yeah, it’s obviously better for him to have more subs from a footballing point of view. But the man does also have a fairly decent and consistent record of speaking out on what he thinks is right on issues unrelated to the club.

Just since arriving at Liverpool he’s been very outspoken on Brexit and how it’s to the detriment of the average Brit, and was very outspoken on Covid restrictions. So it’s fairly consistent for him to be outspoken on the league making choices for the benefit of players.

It’s mad how some fans seem to refuse to believe he might be an honest bloke, despite him being fairly consistently honest - for better or worse - for the entire 20 years of his career. As he’s said himself, yes he’s saying it for Liverpool, but he’s also saying it for players in general. That seems to fit fairly well with his record as a fella over the last 2 decades in the spotlight. Just cause he manages an ‘enemy’ team, doesn’t mean ya have to believe he’s some two faced ghoul.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

I think Klopp is a genuinely good man.

But fact is that he and his staff alone have decided who plays and how many minutes they play for Liverpool. And not just this year but when essentially the same 11 were used for 40-50 games the previous 2 years.

Anyway. How about them spurs?

It’s mad how tribalistic this stuff gets beyond the football. Yeah, it’s obviously better for him to have more subs from a footballing point of view. But the man does also have a fairly decent and consistent record of speaking out on what he thinks is right on issues unrelated to the club.

Just since arriving at Liverpool he’s been very outspoken on Brexit and how it’s to the detriment of the average Brit, and was very outspoken on Covid restrictions. So it’s fairly consistent for him to be outspoken on the league making choices for the benefit of players.

It’s mad how some fans seem to refuse to believe he might be an honest bloke, despite him being fairly consistently honest - for better or worse - for the entire 20 years of his career. As he’s said himself, yes he’s saying it for Liverpool, but he’s also saying it for players in general. That seems to fit fairly well with his record as a fella over the last 2 decades in the spotlight. Just cause he manages an ‘enemy’ team, doesn’t mean ya have to believe he’s some two faced ghoul.

I don’t come into a spurs thread to read about klopp and his brexit views or to be honest about his views at all . Do us a favour and go back to pool thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I don’t think Klopp is a bad guy, but I do think he’s far more interested in winning games than he is in player welfare, which is why he doesn’t rotate as much as some other managers do. Case in point today, he has 8 of the same starters who started on Wednesday night.

I’m not saying he’s wrong, he’s paid a lot of money to get results and his players are paid enough too. But he’s clearly willing to risk his players’ “welfare” for points.

• Advertisement

Ormus wrote: »
    I don’t think Klopp is a bad guy, but I do think he’s far more interested in winning games than he is in player welfare, which is why he doesn’t rotate as much as some other managers do. Case in point today, he has 8 of the same starters who started on Wednesday night.

I’m not saying he’s wrong, he’s paid a lot of money to get results and his players are paid enough too. But he’s clearly willing to risk his players’ “welfare” for points.
    Why did he play salah and jota in a meaningless champions league final group game last week one in which jota picked up a long term injury though . Whose fault is that . He’s complaining of too many games and player welfare and then goes and does that . There’s one person responsible for jotas injury and that’s klopp . Anyway this is spurs thread and we have to worry bout beating Leicester tomo !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

spurshero wrote: »
    I don’t come into a spurs thread to read about klopp and his brexit views or to be honest about his views at all . Do us a favour and go back to pool thread

MOD

Posters are free to post in any thread, however, they are not allowed to Moderate like the above.

PM if there is an issue.

Anyway.

No new injuries ahead of the 2.15ko Vs Leicester tomorrow.
    Bale back in the squad.

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/2020/december/spurs-v-leicester-team-news/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

The mid week result has really given Liverpool some momentum. Tear Palace a new one at the moment. 7-nil.

Palace were actually competing very well until the 3rd one went in, they had Liverpool on the ropes for a while but Liverpool just much more clinical then we were last weekend in the same fixture.

Was fun while it lasted by looks of things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

We no longer have the goal difference advantage over them now either

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭tomo75

I'm not going all Joe on this but the season is just beginning to heat up, as expected, from Christmas onwards....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭Glebee

You have to hand it to liverpool, they have a great step up and are definitly massive favourites for the title. Demolished a team that all were saying would give liverpool a game. Need 3 points tomorrow to get things going again. Its amazing what a couple of bad results can do to your outlook on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

They are the champions, set the benchmark and if anyone finishes ahead of them they will win the title. All we can do is try and win our matches, tomorrow really is a must win game just to ensure we don't let a big gap develop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

What a game for Liverpool. They destroyed the team we laboured against. But it is not really good to dwell on it. They will win at least 90% of their matches. Unfortunate that it was the team we played last.

We need to blow Leicester out of the park. They are so hot and cold and it's impossible to know what team are going to turn up.

Make no mistake if we don't keep up with Liverpool then we can wave goodbye to the title. Don't be despondent as most people didn't think we were capable of getting half the points we have based on the October to now fixture list.

One thing I would love is to play viniscius for 30 minutes every game. He is a beast and much more capable of converting than alli.

Son and kane while clinical are a bit flat for the last number of games. Also I am happy for us to use the counter tactics for the top teams but everyone else we should be attacking. Playing the counter attack game against teams that don't attack is counter productive.

Listen my two previous predictions have made me look ridiculous so I have decided to be cautious. We will win with a Kane peno, Ndombele screamer, son with 2 and Reguilon finishing it off with a tap in.

• Advertisement

Id be happy for mourinho to continue doing what Poch did in his first few years- addressing our problems in order of priority, within resources.

The limitations of mourinhos approach (negative tactics when games could/should be won, perhaps too clever by half in his public mindgames, do modern players respond to his more extreme negging) will no doubt be exposed in time- as Poch's were (couldnt manage players not in his first XI, wouldnt drop underperformers, wouldnt sign older players to do a job)

Its a question of mourinho managing to cut out the problems without those limitations overshadowing things.

He made a good start, round about now it gets a bit trickier (i think the coverage from both press and our own fans is way out of line here, tho) and the measure of the progress this years isnt league titles but keeping her steady and addressing the next obvious issues- top centre half in for dier in the xi, balancing a midfield three with hojbjerg, lo celso, ndombele and somehow managing not to let winks, alli, whichever else darlings of the english press become the story.

Leicester another big test, liverpool game was finished and done with a few nights back and whatever they do for the rest of the season after thats of little interest to me tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

My biggest concern is the new Covid strain in the UK and the risk of the season being suspended. Not sure if fans in the matches is a good idea and especially with the holiday season ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Impressive by Liverpool by tells me nothing I didn’t already know about them. The score today actually justifies Jose’s approach during the week against them. If you give them a chance to destroy you, they will.

We just need a win tomorrow. Whether that’s a big win or a poxy deflection off someone’s arse for a 1-0, I’ll take it. We just need to pick up a few wins on the bounce because, having come through a rough run of games well in touch, we now need to take advantage of an easier run of games in the next few weeks.

COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭tomo75

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Impressive by Liverpool by tells me nothing I didn’t already know about them. The score today actually justifies Jose’s approach during the week against them. If you give them a chance to destroy you, they will.

We just need a win tomorrow. Whether that’s a big win or a poxy deflection off someone’s arse for a 1-0, I’ll take it. We just need to pick up a few wins on the bounce because, having come through a rough run of games well in touch, we now need to take advantage of an easier run of games in the next few weeks.

COYS
    That and we play Pool again at the end of Jan. As long as we stay in touch we could in a better position with Bale etc...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Team: Lloris (C), Aurier, Dier, Alderweireld, Reguilon, Hojbjerg, Sissoko, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Son, Kane.

Interesting to see Lo Celso and Ndombele starting together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Huge game today. I feel like the team owe us a big performance after midweek even though that's probably abit unfair afterall they did only lose to the reigning champions, away from home in the 90th minute.

... Its Liverpools result yesterday, and how tight it is amongst the chasing pack that has me more concerned. Everton up to 2nd, Leicester can go ahead of us today, united could leap frog us with their game in hand.

We were oh so close to been top on Xmas and it's disappointing not fall short one week beforehand. I really want to see a reaction today.

Jose will learn a lot about these lads today

That formation looks like a lopsided diamond, cover for reguilon will be important

... Its Liverpools result yesterday, and how tight it is amongst the chasing pack that has me more concerned.

Its the settling for single goal leads (or even draws!) and conceding late from set plays, genuinely.

Again, again and again. Once is enough in a Mourinho team for a problem to occur, and I'd imagine he is already telling Levy if hed signed Skriniar we'd be top now

Ndombele already limping

• Advertisement

433 lo celso on right

Already letting them counter, very very disappointing if they get joy like that when it was so utterly predictable

Son and Kane need to be better in possession today.

Advertisement