Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tottenham Hotspur Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Here we go

Mcgoldrick scores , I don’t know whether to laugh or cry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Charles we three one up ndombele with a class chip

Proposal:

Just don't bother with central defenders

They do absolutely nothing

Dier an absolute joke under an easily predicted cross, yet again. Fourth or fifth this season.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

What a finish by Ndombele...genius or fluke? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

That’s a ridiculous goal wow!
    Seriously though why do we bother sitting back at all against these sides? Just keep attacking and scoring we just showed it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭Glebee

Brilliant goal. 100% went for it.

Some finish

And breathe

Pure class keep it going attack attacks attack we want five

Kiith wrote: »
    What a finish by Ndombele...genius or fluke? :D

Totally intended

It's still very disjointed, uncomfortable stuff imo

Sparks of quality reacting to random events, nothing like a flow to create chances when we have the ball

• Advertisement

Have we changed tactics to park the bus when ahead by two goals now rather than one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Fingers crossed we don’t concede now. Don’t think my nerves could take it.

Have we changed tactics to park the bus when ahead by two goals now rather than one?

Will take that tbh

You can always adjust if you concede that way, and still lead

Doing it at one up is proving a joke with dier dodging crosses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

That was some miss by Kane.

Why give Vinicius 3 mins. Ffs! I think he needs to be on for longer to get some rhythm.
    I feel sorry for him tbh.

I didn’t see all the match lads, how did rodon get on?

tom1ie wrote: »
    I didn’t see all the match lads, how did rodon get on?

Little bit dicey in positioning but got in a few blocks and interceptions and saved dier once with good speed in a sprint

Tbh hard to judge the lad, davies and dier a very hard pair to settle a new player into a three with

tom1ie wrote: »
    Why give Vinicius 3 mins. Ffs! I think he needs to be on for longer to get some rhythm.
    I feel sorry for him tbh.

Think kane could have no complaints at being brought off after the hour in either of the last two games, decisions, passing and general impact not good

Got his goal today but decent keeper catches it tbh

• Advertisement

Nice to win and be proven wrong
    Ndombele played very well, what a difference a forward play midfielder makes

Nice to win and be proven wrong
    Ndombele played very well, what a difference a forward play midfielder makes

Winks take note!

Hojbjerg-ndomebele- a.n. other in a straight line up the middle works well in theory, a scorching-hot form dele absolutely fits the bill for the third name, someone to unpick defences and keep defensive midfielders worried. same with eriksen- if you could be guaranteed that form

Lo celso doesn't, really. Hes an alternative to ndombele in moving it through the centre i think, also a lot more of a sprinter/tackler

Requires the full backs to play the ball well and move quickly, tho, and if we play three at back to cover it leaves a two up front (son/kane, whats the problem!)

Personally i dont see any difference between two centre halves not tracking and not dealing with crosses, or three. Same difference.

Bergwijn needs only to click and i think he'll add a lot to that side.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Thought we played some good first time football at times today, more incisive, one of our better displays. As Michael Dawson said in commentary the strength in the team is going forward, not defending. Don't know whats going on with Toby, something doesn't seem right, he's been our best defender this season (by a long way). Positives-Rodon did well I thought, looks to have a lot of potential; very impressed with Bergwin, some of his touches and movement were excellent, good workrate; Ndombele seemed more comfortable in his role and another 90 minutes; Holberg didn't get booked so will play against Pool; also thought our corners were very good, looked threatening. Negatives, Dier in the air for a big man is not good enough end of story. Still don't think Aurier should be in the team.
    Thought they were very poor, the worst goalkeeper I can remember in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Does Bale give a sh1t anymore?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/13770586/tottenham-jose-mourinho-gareth-bale-assistant-training/
    And Bale’s latest snub came the day after Spurs released an official video in which Mourinho can be heard explaining his concerns about the winger.

In the video, shared on Spurs TV, the Portuguese coach asked: “You want to stay here? Or go to Real Madrid and play no football?”

SunSport can reveal Mourinho was talking to No 2 Joao Sacramento and other backroom staff.
    I wonder have Spurs got a termination clause in his deal, surely better to send him back to Madrid rather than keep him there and not play him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Does Bale give a sh1t anymore?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/13770586/tottenham-jose-mourinho-gareth-bale-assistant-training/

I wonder have Spurs got a termination clause in his deal, surely better to send him back to Madrid rather than keep him there and not play him.

Between cup games and Europa he will play games. If his fitness and strength improves he will get time in prem league. If not, hel go back to Madrid or wherever end of season

Its looking unlikely but he could be an important player later in season.

• Advertisement

Looks to me like his priorities are Wales, Golf and then Tottenham. Would help if I didn't keep seeing him giggling away on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

i wouldnt be too preoccupied with bale, hes only there on loan, was used as a spirit lifter, and anyone that thinks hes gonna set the league on fire is deluded!

(see the video, where you can hear Jose saying to Bale, 'would you like to go back to madrid and sit on bench' ? )

Im more worried about what has happened Alli ... Must be something wrong off the pitch ? ....
    Hes a pale figure of himself on the field, and doesnt look happy off the pitch either.
    Its a shame what has happened, and i think/hope the club is focusing more on OUR players than former players that are here on loan, or want to come back on loan!!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

ali is finished, im afraid to say. This has been going on for a year or more under pooch and now a year under mourhino, gone or going the lingard route

ali flourished in a team that played on the front foot and had eriksen, dembele, son and kane around him, this probably made him look better than he actually is, (bit like mcgrath did for baab) during this time Ali never hit the same heights at international stage,

id love to see him do well but im afraid it wont happen

jose is right to call bale out, whatever is going on he needs to up his game or go back to spain

i see links to sabitizer at Lipzig, now him and holberg would be a midfield, with ndombele in front

what are lads thoughts on lo celso, is he lamella mark ii

Lo Celso is a hard one to call. At times he looks world class and then he can just as equally be anonymous. There's certainly more goals in him than Lamela but to date he seems to be very injury prone. I always feel he's liable to be booked/sent off in any game he starts in (not unlike Lamela), he has a nasty streak in him. I think if he's competing with Ndombele for a starting spot he's not going to win that battle based on Ndombele's form this season. I'm just not sure his workrate is what Jose requires but it might be next season, with a proper pre season under his belt, that we really see what his potential is.

The injuries are worrying but he was super last season, really played his way into that team when we had very little to cheer about

Thing is, hes a ball carrier, and if not that he's got a game based on arriving into or around the box at the right time

We are so, so bad on the ball at the moment (I can't actually believe how poor the passing is all over the pitch) that its very difficult for a guy to get anywhere doing that latter, and mourinho doesnt want his central midfielders moving too far with the ball, it seems.

imo as long as we are looking at three up front, with two very wide, there's no role for him.

What i don't understand is why we cant switch up a bit as needed. Kane and Vinicius up front against the rubbish. Son, Lo Celso, Dele playing behind Kane in a two when breaking a line is needed.

Use the different players a bit. Not coming up with one tactic (that doesn't even work very well!) and trying to squash every player you have into a role in it, regardless of their actual talents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I have nothing to add about Dele Alli that hasn't been said already, he's been terrible for 3 seasons minimum, him and Erikson were shocking for more than just Poch's last season. It went back to the year before.

He's had plenty of time to turn it around, he had that purple patch for 5 or 6 of Mourinho first games in charge and then reverted to nothing, so clearly the talent is there but the attitude and motivation are not.

The best thing for all concerned is that he moves on - far and fast. Otherwise he'll become another jack wilshere type player. Living off past glories, sucking up unwarranted wages and eventually slinking off to westham or the likes. I could see him ending up bouncing around teams in Turkey, or the middle east for a few years or maybe the states at best.

Cant see us getting top 4 this season even if we stop dropping silly points. Leicester, City, Utd and Liverpool look like thats the top 4 right there. City hitting form just in time for league final is a big worry. Chelsea look in trouble.

Long way to go yet
    We are right in the mix
    Lecister will have a blip yet, so will Utd, we will need to take advantage and we have all the teams above us to play

In relation to cup final, I believe it’s scheduled 3 days before Champions league semi finals, let’s hope city make that

I think we are certainly in the mix and will stay in the mix for top 4. Everyone seems to have gone through a bad patch at some point and City in particular seem to be hitting a purple patch at the moment but still don't think they are as good as two years ago. They depend hugely on KDB. Liverpool are really struggling in all departments and that will be a huge game for us next week, a real 6 pointer. Win that and Liverpool come under serious pressure for a top 4 spot. Of the top 4 Leicester have been the best, most organised team we have played this season IMHO.

Liverpool are struggling alright, but one good performance were it all clicks and a few goals will get their confidence up and going again.

If only they had an upcoming fixture against a team perceived as a worthy scalp, and that would also make them look like vintage Barcelona.

Hmmmmm...

Danny Ings - the latest player linked as he "wants champion league football " ?????

How would that pan out ?
    As Vini is finding out, Kane is (rightly so) untouchable, as regards playing time, as Soldado, Jansenn , and Llorente found out with similar results. Although Vini looks better than any of the other 3 ever did!

(Number 9 jersey has not been very lucky for many players! Soldado, Jansen, Rasiak , Bale (so far) , Kanoute , and Pav ? and ,with injuries Anderton )

Talking about other team's predicted 'blips' doesn't mean that our worrying tactical and performance issues won't continue.

I see no reason to presume that Jose is actually acknowledging where the problems are with his tactics or that he is managing the different options available to him well, keeping players on their toes but in a healthy, competitive way

Or that players themselvers are simply working on their own issues with passing, decisions, concentration or movement.

It's relatively early days to be getting that sinking feeling but if mourinho cannot get a better, simpler but competent 90 mins out of this squad then you have to question what is likely to change at this stage

Edit to add re: Kane

The reliance on Kane is frankly becoming toxic and unhealthy to sensible management of the player, his backup/cover and the players in the first XI attack around him imo. Two powerful managers in succession have not seemed to be able to find a balance here, but Vinicius looks at this stage like everything you could've asked and is starving for minutes while Kane has had either poor games, played in games he should be rested for or worse yet played on his own up front with the likes of Fulham battering us.

It isnt good enough tactically or strategically.

Danny Ings - champion league football :eek:

Ings is imo a very fine premier league striker.

Injuries is the thing

I think Ings has as much chance of getting champions league football at Southampton as he has with Spurs. That's not a dig at our current situation but Southampton are at about our level so far this season.

On the plus side the back page headines about opposition teams taking a Kane-INGs write themselves.

• Advertisement

Southampton, Leicester and West Ham managers are all outperforming the guys running traditional top six clubs

There is definitely an element of it being easier to manage without a squad full of "stars" or the glare of big expectations, but in the short of it they all three of them have also gotten their tactics and motivation right.

At 15m a year, our fella hasnt.

Southampton, Leicester and West Ham managers are all outperforming the guys running traditional top six clubs

There is definitely an element of it being easier to manage without a squad full of "stars" or the glare of big expectations, but in the short of it they all three of them have also gotten their tactics and motivation right.

At 15m a year, our fella hasnt.

or is it a reflection of how poor the league actually is this year

southampton and west ham have not turned into superstars overnight, they both were nearly relegated last year

or is it a reflection of how poor the league actually is this year

southampton and west ham have not turned into superstars overnight, they both were nearly relegated last year

Heh, does this not suggest that they may in fact have turned into superstars overnight!

Heh, does this not suggest that they may in fact have turned into superstars overnight!

or the superstars turned into donkeys

Hopefully a win tomorrow night to take us through to next round to play Everton( there 3 up) and then onto Thursday night to give Liverpool a good spanking hopefully. We owe them one at this stage..

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Glebee wrote: »
    Hopefully a win tomorrow night to take us through to next round to play Everton( there 3 up) and then onto Thursday night to give Liverpool a good spanking hopefully. We owe them one at this stage..

Yes hopefully so. Are we on bbc tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

whodafunk wrote: »
    Yes hopefully so. Are we on bbc tomorrow?

Just BT I think.

No way we handle the liverpool i saw out there today.

Firmino will riddle us in the middle, our full backs will be worse than no cover on the flanks

Cricket score loss

Other News -
    Lampard to be sacked today !

:D:D:D:D boot-iful ......

• Advertisement

greenspurs wrote: »
    Other News -
    Lampard to be sacked today !

:D:D:D:D boot-iful ......