Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tottenham Hotspur Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

Bowen just jogged past reguilon, who had his hand in the air for offside and never made a step towards him

If hed managed to control it he had only lloris to beat (ie certain goal)

Genuinely shocking few moments of non defending

Blood everywhere after soucek/sanchez clash in their box

To touch back on the kane/vinicius thing

Today so far has been a good demonstration of how kane dropping into midfield to get the ball is a bad thing

Clogs our passing, west ham can defend in a solid block, removes any responsibility on our midfielders to create, we have nobody up front when we do manage to work it through

He essentially turns us into a closed accordion. Hard to play that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

To touch back on the kane/vinicius thing

Today so far has been a good demonstration of how kane dropping into midfield to get the ball is a bad thing

Clogs our passing, west ham can defend in a solid block, removes any responsibility on our midfielders to create, we have nobody up front when we do manage to work it through

He essentially turns us into a closed accordion. Hard to play that.

Possibly take off Lucas to accommodate Vinny.

But I think Jose likes the pace of Lucas

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Had enough, going for a walk with wife

Lucas and lamela offer nothing

Holberg has been flooded to death

Dier is a non entity

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Dier is a non entity

I'm going to clean the windows... couldn't be watching this muck.

Ref has had a shocker

When we do carve a shot, clear a ball or lose the ball, three west ham players get to the bounce before a single spurs man

Before you talk selection, tactics, manager, thats the issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Glebee

Dier is a non entity

Getting he dinner ready. This is utter dross.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Apart from all the problems we are creating for ourselves think the ref has been shocking. The Reggie free against him when he clearly won the ball and then his booking later on were really poor decisions. I can see a red card in the second half at this rate. Dier/Sanchz brutal again, as Snoop says Kane coming deep does nothing for us in a game like this. Hojberg very poor this half.

• Advertisement

I know i'm in the minority but delighted to see Doherty get on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Strange to see Lamela go for Bale. Thought he was best player in the first half. Think Son needs a break, mostly going backwards and and sideways these days.

ugh

The short answer here is that any manager coming in is going to do very little with these lads, who have demonstrated time and again that they will down tools or just simply are not good enough when it comes to it.

That is not to say Mourinho is doing well enough.

Manager and all but a few players need to go

Whats more likely is that those few players go and we are left with an expensive, finished manager and the players levy will not sell at a loss.

Very, very hard to watch the lack of effort, ability, inspiration out here.

Strange to see Lamela go for Bale. Thought he was best player in the first half. Think Son needs a break, mostly going backwards and and sideways these days.

ugh

Lamela booked but was head and shoulders our best in that first half, pity

What I absolutely hate the most about all of this is the lack of players in that refs face, in each others faces

Passive, sulky nothin personality vacuums. What Poch brought more than anything else to this outfit was some balls.

When he lost that passion for the club (all on levy) the true limits of these players was laid bare.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Streams didn't work, which was annoying me for a while.

Thank god I didn't have to watch this ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

We actually have a bit of life about us in this unlike Brighton, Palace, Wolves etc. I can handle a defeat where they are trying. Get in Lucas

Nice goal by Lucas :)

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

Alan smith is so anti spurs why do they always have him on co commentary

Sporadic interest since from players (doherty/bale is actually a good match) but son is missing and lucas despite the goal is playing poorly

Lloris nearly threw the ball out to them again there claiming it, so sanchez/dier/himself will still gift them chances

Maybe offside but bale and kane brilliant there for two great chances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Kane way too slow to cross the ball there, and with a telly poor cross. Should've been a goal. Bale very unlucky with the follow up

Unlucky Bale

Lads son is hiding out there

Don’t deserve to lose this.

He has been since half time of the Woolwich match. Nobody calls him out on it. A media darling

golfball37 wrote: »
    Don’t deserve to lose this.

Check the second goal we conceded, and hugo for the first

You cant give opponents that kind of comfort and then point to the rest of the game and say you deserved better, imo

Kane gives that ball first time he had a tap in for 2 all

That looks a bad one, hope that lad is ok

Why don’t they stop the clock for var decisions . It took 2 mins 40 . Should be at least 6 mins injury time with all subs and couple injuries

We are still second to every clearance and bounce, and that is still the difference

Its the minimum to demand of every player yet the whole team fail that test

• Advertisement

Son declines to run, gets the ball, dawdles and loses it, doesnt track back

Needs dropping, and contract unsigned too

Very pedestrian this for 89 mins and a goal down

tbh we would almost need a freak goal like that, our attempts at goal have all lacked conviction

Lloris with another joke moment

Son declines to run, gets the ball, dawdles and loses it, doesnt track back

Needs dropping, and contract unsigned too

Based on second half of this I’d be starting Bale ahead of him. I’d sell Son in morning as he’d fetch a good price. He’s not up to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

West Ham are 9 points ahead, let that sink in. Spurs have lost 5 of the last 6. Again, this is relegation form and as bad as anything from when Poch was in charge.

Were it not for such a strong start to the league, we'd be in a proper relegation fight, and probably losing because there's no fight in this team.

Bale was excellent in the second half, our best player even though he only played 45 minutes. In contrast Ali showed why he needs to go. Feel sorry for Tanganga he didn't do much wrong in the first half, but he's not a full back. Personally I think Mourinho has to take a lot of the blame, starting Dier and Sanchez is a joke. Taking Tanganga off when he hadn't played badly showed that Jose wasn't happy with playing him full back in the first place. His CB pairing has to be Toby and one other but again he made a big issue earlier in the season in more or less implying that Dier was his main CB and we all know he's not good enough. Hugo has been very bad the last few matches but our back up keeper is poison.
    So on your bike at the end of the season Jose and won't be sorry to see you go. With the right manager and 3 or 4 signings that team is capable of much more.

Agree with all that Gaga, except that tanganga refused to overlap the first half and left the man on the ball stuck a few times

He didnt exactly come in and help on the goal

So if hes not doing one or the other i cant say he did great

Now i dont blame him, the demands onnour full backs are confusing and imo hes got the skillset of a centre back anyway

Mourinho should be sacked for continuing to pick dier, sanchez, ahead of toby when it has killed us a dozen times over

He should be sacked for never once addressing that our goalkeeper and captain seems undroppable despite years of sidestepping his responsibilities in either role

Like poch, at the end, its not even about "who has he got thats better" its about the message that what we are seeing is acceptable.

He has to go, and for the benefit of anyone who has a hundred questions about that starting with the word "So..." that is not to defend the players at all for their lack of guts and effort

Agreed Snoop and yes Tanganga is a central defender and that's where he should be played or moved on if not good enough. But I'm sure his confidence will have been dented after Jose's actions today. It's actually hard to get your head around the fact that, aside from the West Ham collapse (and we can mainly thank Aurier and Sanchez for that) we were actually defending quite well earlier in the season, the City and Arsenal games in particular spring to my mind. Toby was involved in all those decent defensive performances. Yet tinkerman saw fit to chop and change and its clear he still doesn't know what his best team is (not just defence).
    As an aside and not to say that that it impacted the result but I thought that was as bad a refereeing display as I've seen in a long time. It was not a dirty game yet he booked at least 6 players, half of which (on both sides) were never bookings. Lamela's was a booking and I think because he was booked Mourinho had to take him off with that referee, as we've said before Lamela is borderline being sent off most games.
    So we might as well go all in now for the Europa League, I for one hope we don't finish in the EL places this season, absolutely hate the competition (unless we win it of course:)

I’m hate to say it lads but I’m almost at a stage where I don’t care, awful thing to say but it’s true
    I was watching that first half with my two lads and just putting myself in bad form , I went for a walk with herself and a cycle with my daughter and you know what, was best thing I did
    I was in Jose corner but Jayus , if he is not selecting winks , then it’s dire and Sanchez , that is just plain stupid
    Heard bale played well so that’s a plus
    Not sure where we go from here, maybe Jose has to go but there is a lot of players who also need to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Glebee

If Arsenal beat City they go ahead of us. Now theres a thought to cheer everyone up.. Arsenal have been dogsh1te all year.

Glebee wrote: »
    If Arsenal beat City they go ahead of us. Now theres a thought to cheer everyone up.. Arsenal have been dogsh1te all year.

Same as us bar a few games at start of season where son and Kane were on fire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Jose Mourinho: "We have problems in the team that I cannot resolve by myself as a coach.”

what does that mean ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

greenspurs wrote: »
    Jose Mourinho: "We have problems in the team that I cannot resolve by myself as a coach.”

what does that mean ?

Looks fairly obvious, no? Loosely translates to players are $hit, it's not my fault.

Looks fairly obvious, no? Loosely translates to players are $hit, it's not my fault.

Yes. Thats the literal meaning. And hes correct.

What will it mean to Levy/Enic , and then Mourinho !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

absolute shambles of a club - ENIC are scum
    no ambition - threw away all the progress made in 2014-2019
    didn't spend the money required to keep us at the top
    don't care about football, just care about revenue / shareholder
    they're blessed the stadiums are empty at the moment
    highest ticket price in europe for absolute pony on the pitch and 1 trophy in 22 years

I won't blame Kane at all when he walks away to win things in the summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭celt262

I won't blame Kane at all when he walks away to win things in the summer

I don't think many would blame him. He probably wants to become the record goal scorer before he leaves but may have to give up on that to go and win some trophies.

Glenn Hoddles opinion :

Tottenham legend Glenn Hoddle says it would be "ridiculous" to sack Jose Mourinho and insists the time to consider a change is the end of the season.
    Spurs went down 2-1 to West Ham on Sunday to leave them nine points behind their rivals and with 12 points from as many League games.
    Their five defeats from six League matches is the worst run of Mourinho's managerial career and leaves him with the poorest win percentage in the top-flight of any Spurs manager since Juande Ramos.
    But the club have April's EFL Cup final against Manchester City on the horizon and will surely confirm their place in the Europa League last-16 when they face Wolfsberger again on Wednesday, leading 4-1 from the last-32 first leg.
    Hoddle was asked during his weekly Q&A on ‘The Glenn Hoddle Footy Show’ podcast if he thinks Mourinho should be sacked, and told Standard Sport: "No I don’t, not at the moment.
    "He has been brought in to bring silverware, he is in a cup final. How can you sack somebody who has got a cup final in April? It is ridiculous. That is the reason why he has been brought in."
    Goals from Michail Antonio and Jesse Lingard at the start of each half earned the Hammers a huge home win to move them back into the top four, and they survived a Gareth Bale-inspired onslaught after Lucas Moura hit back for Spurs.
    Hoddle admitted his former side "look an average team" but believes Mourinho deserves the chance to turn around their fortunes.
    "Consistency and maybe other things have got to change over time, but I think he has earned the right with what he has done in his career to be given more time," continued Hoddle, who was chairman Daniel Levy's first managerial appointment at Spurs.
    "As much as I look at Tottenham at times and think we do look an average team. But that is other clubs as well and that can change very quickly. A couple of wins and the confidence can come back.
    "There is a lot of calls from fans [for Mourinho to be sacked] but second half against West Ham, who are flying at the moment and are a great side, every attacking option he had was on the pitch. They hit the bar, hit the post and it could have gone a different way."
    A bullish Mourinho afterwards insisted he was not questioning himself "at all" and said his methods remain "second to nobody in the world".
    Hoddle believes Mourinho will struggle to replicate his past successes with these players and said an overhaul of the squad was needed.
    "You can only say [what he did] if they are proven right, and that means if success comes round the corner," added Hoddle.
    "He has done it with every club he has been with so you cannot pick holes in Jose’s past, his history. They are there for everyone to see.
    "Whether you like the tactics is another thing. Whether he can do it with Tottenham still remains to be seen. And that is the future, whether that statement is going to be proven. I am not so sure with this set of players.
    "I think there are underlying problems at Tottenham, in the sense that there is a group of players who are going to into autumn of their careers. They are not as sharp, not as young. And I think there is going to need to be a rebuild there. So whether you get success during that period of time remains to be seen.
    "But I think Jose should be kept in his job at this moment in time. The end of the season would be the time to look at things."
    (London Evening Standard)

greenspurs wrote: »

what does that mean ?

we have no defenders, I asked for a CB in the summer and one was not delivered

But where does his responsibility as a 'coach' rest? Surely a good coach will teach professional players good habits? So how has he not, at this stage, coached his 'defenders' that they shouldn't be playing risky short passes to team mates who are marked and will be under presume immediately they receive it? That has happened so often this season it has been ridiculous. And if the same defender keeps making that same mistake don't play him until the penny drops. A good coach will coach bad habits out of players. How come Alli is still giving away possession under no pressure with his careless flicks on a regular basis? Is the art of coaching players a thing of the past?
    Somebody mentioned it recently but what has Ledley King being doing with the defenders in training, not much by the looks of it.

We talk about the difference poch made

He eradicated the three or four most obvious repeated errors

Built spirit by integrating youth and picking on performance

Results werent immediate but he had goodwill based on the above

He used his position of strength to clear out the rotten apples

From there, youth flourished and he used a few strokes of luck and the teams strengths very well, matching simple but effective tactics with a leadership that brought commitment and attention from the players

Now, interestingly, he was unable to bring himself imo to break *his own squad* apart when the time came, and he was unable to adapt to *his own tactic* when it was found out, and when his passion fell, the squad had none of their own

If you agree with the above at all, i think that it shows a few things

i. A coach can address repeated errors

ii. A coach can isolate and remove even big players, if they have the right momentum behind them and a squad thats left united behind them

iii. These players might here and there have potential ability but they only achieved under a coach who spoonfed them a simple set of routines and provided the heart for them

iv. They stopped playing for that guy and stayed not playing for him for a year

Kane is the only player in that squad not to let himself down badly at some prolonged stage in the past two or three years, and imo Toby deserves mention despite being passed his best and surrounded by a ****show.

Anyone who tried to tell me that we are where we are solely because of our manager, id disregard

Anyone who tried to tell me that the same manager had performed to an acceptable level, id also disregard

No simple cause, no simple answer, but when a squad isnt singing we all know that you sack the one guy not the twenty three, thats life

• Advertisement
Advertisement