Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tottenham Hotspur Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

Hojbjerg down with a twisted ankle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Hugo's 100th Premier League clean sheet for us :)

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Seems ok, thank god. Can't afford to lose him.

All in all, great day at the office. Very clinical, and great to see Bale back at his best. Everyone played well, including Sanchez...where did that performance come from? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

First Spurs performance I’ve enjoyed in a long time

Next two are winnable , be interesting to see where we are after that

To be fair to Keane he calls it as he sees it and is usually correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Are we hoping for a draw in the United Chelsea match.

Huge relief that hjolberg seems to be OK. Not going to wax lyrical about us but that's two classy performances and Great to see delli being in the thick of things. Kane always blows my mind with what he is capable of. He will be disappointed with the late miss but he is formidable. Bale is linking up with the front two as both provider and as an attacker and will only get better.

We are tottenham, super Tottenham, we are Tottenham from the lane. COYS.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

After so many dire performances so far this season what a treat to watch that match today. And as poor as Burnley were, nearly every player played well, Hugo staying on his line the only negative. Bale was absolutely outstanding, apart from his goals his link up play and passing were excellent, I'm not sure he gave the ball away once in the game. Everything he did looked effortless, pure class and on a different level to everyone else. In fairness to him that was probably Sanchez's best game for us. Thought Kane looked really sharp today.
    So hopefully now we can go on a run and lets hope that the days of us sitting back, defending, are a thing of the past. We would give any team, including City, a game with that team if the players are on form. Agree that Reggie is a big plus to have back.
    Looks like Leicester might be about to implode (not the same team without Maddison), is going to be an interesting few months ahead.

I was wondering if anything other than improved fitness happened with Bale. Literally overnight he is a different player. It is just amazing that you can see the change. Long may it continue and improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Glebee

Can we play Burnley every week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I’m still not convinced Jose will start Bale in a big game. Need to work hard off the ball to get in Jose’s good books.

• Advertisement

Thing is that both aurier and doherty have looked much, much better with bale ahead of them in recent weeks- his movement and his passing, let alone that he drags two with him when he goes inside, make that theoretical "attacking fullback" threat an actual one.

Our defence depends on that, because all through reguilons injury teams were able to sit back and werent a bit bothered by our attacks down the flanks because why would you be, davies, aurier, doherty are not going to hurt you most of the time and lucas/lamela didnt really provide much "oomph" as a rule (cutting inside and dribbling a bit before laying it off doesnt count)

Bale, just by being bale and in form, gives our defence a boost because the opposition have a very different direct threat from wide.

Add reguilon, an actual crosser of the ball, on the other side and all of a sudden kane and son have space, ndombele sees gaps, hojbjerg doesnt have to move forward with the ball himself so much, the "crossbow trap" can remain sprung.

Theoretically, lads, theoretically

Ali put in a good shift today
    Sanchez actually looked like a CB

Would pope be a good replacement for loris

Hes certainly in the running by the talk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

It was like a brand new Spurs. Football's strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Good win .
    Enjoyable to watch, but Burnley were very poor ! Not what i expected at all.

It will be interesting to see what line up he will pick for Thursday nights Vs Fulham.
    Bale start again - the media hype will be in overdrive now - " he has to pick him.... Why didnt he pick him..."

Son-
    I think this is a major problem now. Hid for most of the game yesterday.
    13 touches in the first half - 22 in the second

(Bale 38 touches in the first half - 20 in the second in 70mins
    Hojbjerg -41 touches in the first half -36 in the second
    Moura 33 touches in the first half - 25 in the second in 66 mins

Dele had as many touches when he came on as Son did in the full 90 mins.
    I know its not a massive indicator of how someone is playing, but it definitely shows someone not totally involved in games.

This is getting worse every game.
    I know it seems ridiculous to be criticising a player with such a partnership with Kane. But hes not putting in the work.
    Has he been told to stay wide , not get involved in the action in the middle , allow Kane drop deep?
    Has he been told to not track back and help the left full, so that he is forward to recieve a quick pass/clearance for a breakaway?

Also Lloris..... jaysus! Has he lost his bottle ? He is not coming for balls crossed into the 6 yard box now!
    No faith in him for collecting balls like that anymore - but he'll pull off a worldie reflex save ( but then again most goalies do that too)

And why were we doing this fcuking short kickout to either of the center halves standing at the corner of the 6yard box!! Unnecessary pressure again, and the Toby or Sanchez have to boot it away anyway!!

NDombele was great again - he runs with the grace of a bull elephant, but he has serious 'tekkers' .... Hes getting better and better. Covered massive ground too. Himself and Hojbjerg are a serious unit in the middle.
    Reggy - savage player. Never stops bombing forward, and will rarely ever be caught out of position! (i hope madrid arent watching him )

Aurier + Toby+ Sanchez - dealt with 'all' that Burnley could offer. Not troubled too much, but defended well.

Bale- great to see a semblance of the Bale we had. Great attacking down the wing , covers with Aurier well, and what a ball for Kanes goal !

A good 3 points. . we need the next 3, and the 3 after that....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Bit harsh on Son, he set up bale with a lovely pass off outside boot at full speed
    Almost set up Kane at end
    Forced a great save out of pope
    True he is a bit off form

Aurier was caught out of position a few times but was much improved

After that agree with rest of the weekly report (which I might add I enjoy reading)

Sons lack of touches isn't that surprising, as we actually have a far more effective outlet in Bale on the right. Means we don't need to get the ball to him every time.

Yeah good rundown there greenspurs

Son is def being deployed to run and keep them stretched, so his touch stats i can live with.

Think you could see a better general involvement, especially once the game got stretched, he carried the ball well a few time and set up two goals tbf!

Reggie/ndombele behind him also make his sitting up a bit a different prospect than when its davies, for instance

Lloris is in a bad way. Hope he has a decent end of season then off to psg for a few quid and we get a bit of a presence.

Ive given him stick for patches of form and hes the wrong choice for captain, but all in all a fantastic servant to the club- twas him and jan against the tide for a few seasons there until poch got started!

Bit harsh on Son, I thought he looked pretty sharp, set up 2 goals and on another day would have had two himself. In fairness 7 or 8 nil would have been a better reflection on the game. Confidence is such a huge thing in sport and that game should give them (and Bale in particular) plenty of confidence for the games ahead. Agree with Snoop on Hugo, he's a major concern at this stage (again think his confidence has been impacted) as we have no real back up for him. The passing to the CB's is an issue that they need to sort out, has caused us all sorts of problems this season. I think the key thing with Bale now is how Jose uses him. He is still pretty injury prone I suspect so I think he has to use him sparingly and not start him in every game, think we have 3 matches a week for a few weeks now. Anyway that's the type of Spurs I want to see playing, attacking and trying to dominate rather than sitting back. Play to our strengths Jose, and defending is not our strong point. Hope Hojberg is alright.

• Advertisement

Glebee wrote: »
    Oh Roy, shut up please. I recon at this stage hes just putting on a front. That image is what expected if him now.

Looking back over the Roy and Jamie spatt yesterday on Sky and theres probably noting in it that we have not been saying in here all along, Roy just called it as it is. Id say it was probably more of a clash between Roy and Jamie personally than anything else. Its true what he said about Doherty though. You wont win anything if thats the level of player your willing to bring in. Lloris with France probably has a decent back 4 infront of him that reduces the treats to him big time. He was wrong about Regillon though and that anyone can walk onto an international team. He was too thick at that stage to admit it or back down. Micah was not there either to defuse the situation and laugh it off. I like Roy but sometime he is his own worst enemy. Id say Jamie was fuming at it :D:D

Glebee wrote: »
    Looking back over the Roy and Jamie spatt yesterday on Sky and theres probably noting in it that we have not been saying in here all along, Roy just called it as it is. Id say it was probably more of a clash between Roy and Jamie personally than anything else. Its true what he said about Doherty though. You wont win anything if thats the level of player your willing to bring in. Lloris with France probably has a decent back 4 infront of him that reduces the treats to him big time. He was wrong about Regillon though and that anyone can walk onto an international team. He was too thick at that stage to admit it or back down. Micah was not there either to defuse the situation and laugh it off. I like Roy but sometime he is his own worst enemy. Id say Jamie was fuming at it :D:D

part of me was thinking Roy u plonker as this is my team
    part of me was thinking , go on rip into that jamie R

he was partially right but there is 5 or six of our team who would get in most teams and maybe more into his beloved utd

It’s easy in hindsight and obviously Doherty hasn’t been good so far, but at the time we bought him was Keane or anyone else saying this is a bad signing?

No, of course he wasn’t, because Doherty was one of the best wing backs in the league for the past couple of seasons and the idea was that he’d play wing back for Spurs like Aurier did last season, with a more defensive minded full back on the other side.

Re Doherty

Nobody will convince me that aurier didnt seriously buck up his ideas when we signed a competitor in his prime from the epl

Aurier has still got a brainfart in him but his levels are far above previous seasons, so for whatever fee we paid its not a huge loss imo, and i still think we'll see the best of him yet, he's looking much better with bale in cup games lately

I for one was delighted when we signed Doherty, for the fee I thought it was great business. He was one of Wolves best and most consistent players (in a good Wolves team) over a couple of seasons. And I think from talking to other people and seeing how it was portrayed in the papers the overwhelming view was that it was a great signing in a position where we had an obvious problem. So fast forward to now and its all doom and gloom and his form has been atrocious, again his confidence I suspect is pretty low as he knows he is under pressure and probably the harder he is trying the worse he is playing. In some ways he has been unlucky-injuries, covid and then when I thought he was turning a corner in the Leeds game he gets sent off.
    I think he needs a run of games and for Jose to tell him he believes in him. Will that happen? Unlikely at this moment but I would still give him another season before sending him on his way. Whilst Aurier has improved and is better than last season he is still not reliable (West Ham/Leicester) and his next big mistake is only a game away. I think Doherty on his Wolves form is a much better link up/attacking player than Aurier will ever be but in fairness will probably never be an out and out good defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

i saw somewhere that Wolves recieved £10mil out of the 15-16 mil Spurs paid for Doherty.
    The rest went to an agent !!??!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement

Not only that but the same agent will be heavily involved in any summer rebuild

Now, youd recoil from that but id only say that the superagent is a new dominant player in the football world- wolves have done very, very well out of such a relationship and im adopting a wait and see approach

Do i care if 6m of a fee goes to an agent as opposed to a board of directors at a club? Have to say, not particularly tbh!

That said, obv the gedson deal was a stunt so no more of that please

At this stage all i want is for Jose to pick his best 11 every game and get on with it. Unless his starting 11 is injured they play. Need to have a settled team at this stage of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

greenspurs wrote: »
    i saw somewhere that Wolves recieved £10mil out of the 15-16 mil Spurs paid for Doherty.
    The rest went to an agent !!??!

Mendes- it’s all a con shur. He’s Jose’s boy too.

Whenever i see eze playing i think thats another talent they were raving about last year that we never fancied, went for very little in the end too

Whenever i see eze playing i think thats another talent they were raving about last year that we never fancied, went for very little in the end too

pulled out of transfer i believe

was supposed to have been at training ground and deal was agreed but then we pulled out

i see Leicester are imploding again

• Advertisement

Fulham will be no match for us at 18.00. Expecting a bigger result than Burnley. Interesting to see if Bale starts but we will be too much. COYS

Fulham are on a good run, with 9 points from their last 5 games (2W, 3D). But i still think we'll win this comfortably enough. Same starting 11 as last time for me, though i'd love to see Dele get a start instead of Lucas. Hopefully Sanchez can have another solid game, maybe start to get some confidence back.

Lloris, Aurier, Toby, Sanchez, Reggie, Hojbjerg, Ndombele, Lucas, Bale, Son, Kane

3-0 Spurs.

Wonder if we'll see Skippy come back into the team as a deputy for Hojbjerg next year. He's been playing brilliantly for Norwich.

Kiith wrote: »
    Fulham are on a good run, with 9 points from their last 5 games (2W, 3D). But i still think we'll win this comfortably enough. Same starting 11 as last time for me, though i'd love to see Dele get a start instead of Lucas. Hopefully Sanchez can have another solid game, maybe start to get some confidence back.

Lloris, Aurier, Toby, Sanchez, Reggie, Hojbjerg, Ndombele, Lucas, Bale, Son, Kane

3-0 Spurs.

Wonder if we'll see Skippy come back into the team as a deputy for Hojbjerg next year. He's been playing brilliantly for Norwich.

Lo Celso nearly back to full fitness. All coming back at the right time.

Lloris (C), Doherty, Alderwerield, Sanchez, Davies, Hojbjerg, Ndombele, Bale, Dele, Son, Kane

Bale, Dele, Kane and Son! :D

Kiith wrote: »
    Bale, Dele, Kane and Son! :D

I’m not sure about that combo, and think Lamela is a bit unlucky to miss out again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

The potential in that front 4 is incredible, leaving aside the 2 sitting behind. That's a great attacking team.

Ormus wrote: »
    I’m not sure about that combo, and think Lamela is a bit unlucky to miss out again

Yeah, unlucky to not start i think, but he's extremely effective off the bench. Brings that energy into the game with 20-30 mins to go.

I think Dele has earned a chance again. Could do wonders for his confidence.

Everyone fit and in form, theyre the four best players

Whether the chemistry/movement is right, we'll see

I am happy that they are all in shape and have the chance tho

Goddamn did i just see ben davies lump a ball straight to the opposition within ten secs, where the **** is reggie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,791 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Is reggie injured?

• Advertisement

Between that backline and the camera angles im not sure how much of this i can watch

Doherty looks *awful*

Concrete feet and utterly lost

Fulham started well. We've not been in this at all so far. Need to wake up.

They seem to be getting huge space around the box, between our centre halves and the midfield. And nobody closing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

Doherty looks *awful*

Concrete feet and utterly lost

It’s hard to believe himself and Hojberg cost the same amount

Ah lads i miss having anyone who could put a free kick on target

Oh kane what a miss

Shocking miss from Kane there. **** sake!

Delleeeee

• Advertisement

Unless he handled it in the buildup.....?

Advertisement