Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Power Consumption Monitor

Options
  • 16-04-2020 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hello all,

Can anybody recommend a device or technology that could be used to monitor power consumption within a home. I’m trying to get a sense of what’s consuming power in my house so I can optimize usuage.

The Sense Home Energy Monitor looks good but not entirely sure it’s compatible in Ireland.

Any tips or advice would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Same question asked on the IOT forum, see link:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113047615

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Civil Eng

2011 wrote: »
    Same question asked on the IOT forum, see link:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113047615

Thanks, read that, not much more info.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Civil Eng wrote: »
    Thanks, read that, not much more info.

I have the unit described in the thread and it can do everything that you want.

What additional information do you require?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 stiophan

Did some research on this. TP Link offer some smart plugs (110 not 100) that include energy monitoring. The old energy monitor software has just been updated and reading the reviews, the improvement is big. You can add in your cost per KW. It is missing stuff but it looks like TP support is listening for the next firmware update. What I like is that they do not seem to use up more than one power plug port when its attached to a dual power socket. Hoping to set the schedule of them to power the appliance at the cheapest night rate. The UK smart meter buyers seem to be getting small display units to see what power is being used overall. In theory the utilities who are connected to your smart meter and where you are using a smart tariff will be able to give up energy monitoring data. My experience with Electric Ireland and its data on offer is mediocre hence the hope the TP will give me more useful data on a per appliance level. This might be alot better with other utilities and their data mining to help its customers. Ill get one plug and see what its like before considering others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Is there a need for monitoring individual outlets ?

Just seems like manufacturers are creating lots of stuff for which there's no real need , smart plugs and bulbs

Always seems like overkill

• Advertisement
Advertisement