Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

luggage - tail bag or top box

Options
  • 16-04-2020 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭

so i will be commuting (eventually) on the fz6, and will need something to take luggage. What are people's opinions on top boxes v tail bags?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

lennymc wrote: »
    so i will be commuting (eventually) on the fz6, and will need something to take luggage. What are people's opinions on top boxes v tail bags?

Both have their pros and cons. A top box you can walk away from and lock. They add a lot of weight. A bag has to be removed each time and isn't as secure. Less weight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

With a top box you will have a better chance of keeping stuff dry when it inevitably rains. You also have the added bonus of being able to lock it. I think it depends a bit on the bike as well. IMO Top boxes suit some bikes more than others - particularly if the bike has matching hard panniers too (for example a VFR800 with matching side panniers and top box looks much better than a VFR800 with just a top box....to me at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Wouldn't be without a top box and have been using the same one for a good few years now on different bikes. It means you can semi-secure things on your bike including a helmet, jacket and pullups so you don't have to walk around with all your gear once you arrive wherever you're going. As already said...keeps your stuff dry as well. I've never used a tail bag. I'd stick a top box on anything bar a race replica.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Top box for me all the time and side bags when I need extra storage, you wouldn't buy a car without a boot so why have a bike without storage, a lot of the time I have full luggage on and I do use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭H_Lime

If you are going soft luggage ventura is sweet but saucy. Allen has it on his tuono racing and its super kit.
    Iiwy I'd buy a second hand 42 L monolock box on donedeal and a rack for your bike. There is huge convienece in being able lock the lid or other **** in it and walk.
    When will you be on the road?

BTW I wouldn't bother me arse with scotoiler, faaar to complicated imo. Buy one of those new tutoro auto oilers is a standalone fit fill and forget affair without tapping vacuum lines or any of that shyte. I just wish someone would make a cheap knock off of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

H_Lime wrote: »
    If you are going soft luggage ventura is sweet but saucy. Allen has it on his tuono racing and its super kit.
    Iiwy I'd buy a second hand 42 L monolock box on donedeal and a rack for your bike. There is huge convienece in being able lock the lid or other **** in it and walk.
    When will you be on the road?

BTW I wouldn't bother me arse with scotoiler, faaar to complicated imo. Buy one of those new tutoro auto oilers is a standalone fit fill and forget affair without tapping vacuum lines or any of that shyte. I just wish someone would make a cheap knock off of it!

I pushed my vaccum line on 3 years ago no tape hasn't caused problems once. I think it took me approx 4 seconds to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

information overload - maybe I just need a new bike.... :)

Cheers guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

With a top box you will have a better chance of keeping stuff dry when it inevitably rains. You also have the added bonus of being able to lock it. I think it depends a bit on the bike as well. IMO Top boxes suit some bikes more than others - particularly if the bike has matching hard panniers too (for example a VFR800 with matching side panniers and top box looks much better than a VFR800 with just a top box....to me at least).

If you buy proper soft luggage it'll keep your gear dry.

The problem with a top box in this country is that people will try to break in and steal whatever you leave in it ,especially since they will see you putting several hundred Euro of gear into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If your commuting and going to an office where theres parking - topbox. Life is easier.

If your commuting and parking on street. tail bag, you will have to take it with you.

Advertisement