Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CT scan.

• 16-04-2020 4:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭

Has anyone has a CT scan done on their dog recently and if so what is the ball park figure for the cost? Our boy has to have one next week and as we don’t have pet insurance I would like to have the money available to pay for it .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

homerhop wrote: »
    Has anyone has a CT scan done on their dog recently and if so what is the ball park figure for the cost? Our boy has to have one next week and as we don’t have pet insurance I would like to have the money available to pay for it .

Last July we had 2 x CTs on our boy (abdomen and chest) it cost €1,075 (that included €75 for a quicker turnaround for results) - included fluids too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Depends on what the CT is for - it's done by regions so an elbow is much cheaper than a skull and spine as it requires less images. Bilateral elbows were €450

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Can you call your vet and ask?

mymo wrote: »
    Can you call your vet and ask?

Most vets don’t do CT’s there are only handful of places who do it .. but yes call the centre where the CT is booked in and enquire!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

cocker5 wrote: »
    Most vets don’t do CT’s there are only handful of places who do it .. but yes call the centre where the CT is booked in and enquire!

Vet should know the approximate cost though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

The clinic doing the scan were in touch today, with the date for the appointment, gave an estimate of between €650 and €850 depending on how much has to be done. Thank everyone for your replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

They're some serious costs. A CT scan for a human costs €225 with Affidea outside insurance.

sdanseo wrote: »
    They're some serious costs. A CT scan for a human costs €225 with Affidea outside insurance.

It’s not entirely the same thing .. unfortunately

dog will need to be sedated.. so there’s the anesthesia costs and most do a full blood test ... I know my guy also needed fluids (he had cancer)

The clinic doing the scan were in touch today, with the date for the appointment, gave an estimate of between €650 and €850 depending on how much has to be done. Thank everyone for your replies.

Best of luck with it I hope your dog is ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

cocker5 wrote: »
    It’s not entirely the same thing .. unfortunately

dog will need to be sedated.. so there’s the anesthesia costs ... I know my guy also needed fluids (he had cancer)

Yep our vet does fluids and bloods before sedation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭misschoo

Hi my dog had a CT done in UCD of her chest in February. The total cost came to €1395. The CT itself was invoiced at €340 but there are all the surrounding charges including anaesthesia, the consult, blood work, equipment - needles etc. She also had an endoscopy included in that and an ultrasound done so they were part of the cost (€400). Is if you deduct that you’re looking at about €1000. I can PM you the invoice if you want to have a look at it.

Advertisement