Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual / Single Channel RAM Compatibility

Options
  • 16-04-2020 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all

I have a Gigabyte AB350-GAMING 3 board and I am looking to upgrade from 8 to 16gb of RAM.

The issue I have is that the RAM which I currently have (Team Vulcan T-Force 8GB (2x 4GB) 3000MHz DDR4) is no longer being produced so I can't just purchase more (the few shops that do still have some stock are charging way over the odds).

Thus, I was wondering whether purchasing a single stick of 8gb is a viable option? Would I be correct in saying that so long as the timings are the same as the two sticks which I currently run then it ought to work?

I have a Ryzen processor and from what I have read it seems quite important that the RAM is working optimally hence my asking.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

If you have 3 sticks you'll lose dual-channel.

You should still be able to find DDR4-3000 @ 16-18-18-38 kits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 outofmydepth

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    If you have 3 sticks you'll lose dual-channel.

You should still be able to find DDR4-3000 @ 16-18-18-38 kits.

Ok, I have a Ryzen processor so I think it's pretty important I don't lose channel.

I'm a bit lost regarding your second point. Do you just mean a second pair that is the same timing as what I have currently?

Thanks for the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Yes, a kit at the same timings.

Advertisement