Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPU for solidworks

Options
  • 16-04-2020 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. I am hoping someone can make a recommendation for a GPU change. I built my PC 5 years ago which was mainly for development purposes and I didn't need a high end graphics card. It's been doing great ever since with the only upgrade needed being a bigger SSD for the C drive.

I now use Solidworks 2019 and I expect to be using similar programs that need a good card. It's for college assignments, so I don't need a professional grade GPU costing a grand. My current card lets me use solidworks, but the rendering is garbage.

The current graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 5450. It was only purchased because it has 2 display outputs (DVI-I and HDMI) for my 2 monitors. The replacement GPU should have 2 display outputs that are DisplayPort or HDMI (the monitors are HDMI).

I have read that I should be going for a GPU with "OpenGL accelleration" and recommendations are made here. However, I want to be sure I am getting a compatible card and also I reckon I will need a bigger PSU. Looking at the AMD - Radeon Pro Graphics Card WX4100 as a potential candidate if it's compatible.

My OS is Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
    MB: Z97 pro 3
    CPU: i7 4790k
    RAM: 32gb
    C-Drive: 1TB SSD
    PSU: 400w (BQ SU7 400W).

Thanks for any suggestions offered.

Stay Free

Comments

Advertisement