Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Truth about traveller crime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I’m no fan of the travellers but the amount of air time they get for the size of population

You have huge sections of Dublin and major cities which are just a big s**thole full of scumbags, running drugs, shooting people, robbing cars etc and not a word is mentioned

When one of them is shot you get thousands of messages about he/she was a lovely person and came from a lovely family

Maybe when discussing the traveller it might be worth discussing all the scumbags and how to resolve them all.....

There are several gangland violence threads where this is discussed in depth. Gangland violence is always in the media when it occurs. Unsurprisingly, a lot of traveller families are up to their neck in this stuff as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,601 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Here's a link to the episode if anybody is interested!

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/on-demand/70593-001

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I couldn't watch more than 20mins of it. Uggh. Same with Inside the K.

I'd say the impetus for the doc had a lot to do with the horrific killing of a police officer some months ago by a traveler. I'd say there's a huge amount of anger about that, given everything else that goes on with them.

Hopefully Patel will live up to her reputation and sort them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

AllForIt wrote: »
    I couldn't watch more than 20mins of it. Uggh. Same with Inside the K.

I'd say the impetus for the doc had a lot to do with the horrific killing of a police officer some months ago by a traveler. I'd say there's a huge amount of anger about that, given everything else that goes on with them.

Hopefully Patel will live up to her reputation and sort them out.

Hopefully.

Other thread on this forum locked down, I notice.

What do you do with a crowd of thugs that are so obviously protected by the State?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

I'm surprised the boards police didn't do it earlier........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

There are some housed travellers on the other side of the street to me, a number of youngish lads.

At 23:00 I heard some a bitta noise so looked out to see 2 of them having a boxing match by the carpark. With proper boxing gloves. To be fair they were only engaging in it for the sport, but still, during the lockdown at that time of the evening it was an odd sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

As opposed to any other time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

not sure if this is the right forum to be asking but i listened to an episode about how crimes are recorded/not recorded (reply all) and
    i really suspect traveller crime, crime and especially burglaries are totally underrecorded in Ireland. Is there any way to find out about this ? Ideally one should be albe to search for confirmed burglaries (exact house locations can be left out, streets will do, date) for areas of the country. This would make sure that burglaries are put on the system as they happen. We all know of breakins in our area. I know of many in my north Cork village but i cannot tell if they were put on the system.
    https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/o2hx34

• Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Dr Sindy blocked me on Twitter for asking if the travellers at this funeral will be obeying the law like everyone else has to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Good man Martin. Blame the ferry companies.

To quote George Hook. Is there nothing to be said for personal responsibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭bunderoon

While renovating our house, I have come across 2 separate groups of travellers trespassing, breaking & entering and stealing from the site.

One group of 3 were from Charlestown. I caught them on camera. They were arrested and on the day in court, were given a 100e fine each. Nothing else. My stuff was not returned or the damaged fixed. I assume the 100e went to the State - if it was ever paid.

The other group of two were local to my town. We know to see each other. I made sure that they know that I know it was them. They think they were caught on camera so they have not come near us since.

Both groups live in council owned semi-ds.

My dad operated a one man garage and he had a few run ins aswell over the years. One example - Machinery and tools going missing when 5 would arrive at the garage at the same time and they would separate and go in and around the place and my dad dealing with the eldest of them.

What can be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Martin Collins would have been claiming discrimination if they had been stopped

sligojoek wrote: »
    Good man Martin. Blame the ferry companies.

To quote George Hook. Is there nothing to be said for personal responsibility?

Ah here, If i rocked up to the Curragh with the kids and a few mates and we pitched tent we wouldn't have the last peg driven into the ground they would be there to get rid of us.... The country needs to grow a serous set of BALLS. Not only in these times but to deal with them in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

A nice 2020 LS van in one of the pictures , travellers are probably the shrewdest people in Ireland , never work a day in your live and you can have large family’s , new motors , plenty of cash in your pocket . If anyone opens their mouth start on about discrimination .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

So they can drive straight through Garda checkpoints now and shoot the breeze whilst the same 'front line heroes' are turning people back on other routes.

There's definitely discrimination here but it's certainly not the crowd represented by Pavee Point who are being prejudiced.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    So they can drive straight through Garda checkpoints now and shoot the breeze whilst the same 'front line heroes' are turning people back on other routes.

There's definitely discrimination here but it's certainly not the crowd represented by Pavee Point who are being prejudiced.

You won't see that on the Garda twitter page....

Hmm I do wonder what particular group could do this type of thing...

"Gardaí are investigating criminal damage to special needs school buses in Castlebar.

The incident occurred at St Anthony’s School in the town at approximately 9 o’clock yesterday morning, and the diesel tank of their new bus was damaged."

They ripped out the diesel tanks just for a few liters, what utter scum.

https://www.midwestradio.ie/index.php/news/38101-gardai-investigate-damage-to-special-needs-school-buses-in-castlebar

• Registered Users Posts: 30,601 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Has anybody seen this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Has anybody seen this?

Jeez they just don't care

Rules don't apply to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Large gathering at burial of popular Dublin Traveller slammed for putting 'lives at risk'

As many as 60 people were in close attendance at the COVID victim's graveside with Pavee Point describing the gathering as 'dangerous'

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/coronavirus-ireland-large-gathering-burial-18112179

Seems rules about funeral don't apply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Has anybody seen this?

Would they not even be selfish and care about their own health.

If it gets into a group like that they'll be fairly heavily wiped out. Might be a hard learned but valuable lesson for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

If it gets into a group like that they'll be fairly heavily wiped out. Might be a hard learned but valuable lesson for the future.

One can but dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

"Gardaí are investigating criminal damage to special needs school buses in Castlebar.

The incident occurred at St Anthony’s School in the town at approximately 9 o’clock yesterday morning, and the diesel tank of their new bus was damaged."

https://www.midwestradio.ie/index.php/news/38101-gardai-investigate-damage-to-special-needs-school-buses-in-castlebar

Lot of traveller incidents in Castlebar in recent times, their own local TD and then Taoiseach Enda Kenny still gave them special ethnic status in 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

What a disgrace they are. An insult to people to call these ville creatures human. Those things don't care about anyone.

They think they can endanger the lives of normal, decent people during this pandemic. The Gardai need to start cracking down fast before these scum undo the good work Irish people have done in flattening the curve.

Worrying to say this but if you watched the UK documentary that this thread was started for, you'd have noted that the UK police intervene as a last resort with the travelling community. There are many reasons that is the case but to respond to your post, I would imagine the Irish police service are even more hands off than the British police. Which all suggests that as long as the travellers that have arrived, do not cause local crime or disturb the local community, then they will not be bothered about the matter of ignoring the health advice. That's sadly the way it is, the police services have to pick and choose what they pull them up on. Awful situation for a society to be in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Worrying to say this but if you watched the UK documentary that this thread was started for, you'd have noted that the UK police intervene as a last resort with the travelling community. .

Is there a location to watch this from Ireland with no vpn?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Fann Linn wrote: »

https://extra.ie/2020/04/19/news/irish-news/convoy-uk-travellers-curragh

This story is covered in The Irish Mail on Sunday newspaper , pages 8 and 9.

They are a law upon themselves.

2 vans drove right through a Garda checkpoint and continued into the campsite ?? Probably manned by recruits on stage 2 from Templemore.

Now if Joe Public drove through a Garda checkpoint, we would be probably charged and be standing tall before a Judge in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Amish.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Omackeral wrote: »
    Amish.

Oh, I was so wrong thinking Eskimos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Those damm Mexicans again. Trump was right

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement