Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Truth about traveller crime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

I just watched the program there. Some of the stories from residents and small business owners would break your heart. Police clearly cannot be counted on. The official statements just cop out responsibility and the old cliche of "we don't have the resources" is just that. Sentencing (same as over here) does not reflect the crimes committed either.

Children pelting cars with bricks essentially creating no go zones and acting as turf enforcers for the area around halting sites is just proof that these are organised crime gangs that just happen to be families as well.

When no one (not cops, not residents, not politicians) wants to speak out publicly against them for fear of their lives we've ALL got a problem.

Maybe it's just the availability of social media but it seems like it's getting worse. Even if it isn't, by Christ it's bad enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

sligojoek wrote: »
    [

Was it always spelt that way? With the fada on the e, I assume it's pronounced "minkair". I never heard the word till I came to Sligo. I used to hear people talking about the "minkers". I had to ask somebody what it meant.

Its seems to be the new woke PC way of saying it.
    Ive a feeling there is alot of travellers who wouldnt assoicate with certain travellers in real life bt will milk a living from it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Travellers have terrible luck when driving, almost every adult has multiple cases of whiplash, tis awful, thankfully the claims cover their recovery....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

"I forget, even refuse to remember her name. Anne ****in stupid name anyway"

That's what you call an ambassador.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

[

Was it always spelt that way? With the fada on the e, I assume it's pronounced "minkair". I never heard the word till I came to Sligo. I used to hear people talking about the "minkers". I had to ask somebody what it meant.

Are travellers seriously claiming to be "indigenous"? When Partholón arrived in Ireland from Noah's flood, was there a mincéir encampment trying to sell him wolfhounds?

Also mincéir appears to be a Gaelicisation of what is more likely a modification of English 'tinker'. For example, the Secret Languages of Ireland:

minkʹer ‘a tinker’ (minkr, minkūr, minkyer: minkler L′, minkier A, nacer G). Minkʹer tāral ‘tinker’s
    talk’, ‘Shelta’. Irish, from English, tinncéir [tinkʹēr].

• Advertisement

Plenty of English travellers coming in on the ferrys

• Registered Users Posts: 52,014 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Oops! wrote: »
    Ah here, If i rocked up to the Curragh with the kids and a few mates and we pitched tent we wouldn't have the last peg driven into the ground they would be there to get rid of us.... The country needs to grow a serous set of BALLS. Not only in these times but to deal with them in general.

It takes a court order ( which takes a lot of time ) to get rid of them.
    That happened to a man who lives near me, he had a field they drove into. They stayed until the last possible day before leaving.
    Costs on him too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

It takes a court order ( which takes a lot of time ) to get rid of them.
    That happened to a man who lives near me, he had a field they drove into. They stayed until the last possible day before leaving.
    Costs on him too.

petrol is a lot cheaper these days

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ehma249

17yo, 3 kids, police let funeral go ahead.

Wonder what was going on here

A 17-year-old man has died after he was hit by a motorcycle at a funeral attended by 150 people in defiance of coronavirus physical distancing rules.

Aaron Smith, who had three children, suffered fatal head injuries in the incident near Sittingbourne, Kent, on Thursday.

Police officers did not intervene to stop the funeral taking place despite being informed about it the previous evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Max H

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

What the police claimed happened their is that they had no idea that such a large gathering was planned and so did not have the number of officers available to safely disperse such a crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Tiredalways

[

Minker is supposedly an old Scottish term . Never heard it outside of sligo myself tbh.

MINKER, n. A term of abuse for any disreputable ragamuffin or rowdy ; a tinker, a vagrant (Abd. 1963).

Minker is supposedly an old Scottish term . Never heard it outside of sligo myself tbh.

MINKER, n. A term of abuse for any disreputable ragamuffin or rowdy ; a tinker, a vagrant (Abd. 1963).

The Scots dictionary suggests that it actually comes from "mink", an old Scots term for a noose. https://dsl.ac.uk/entry/snd/minker (itself a borrowing of Irish muince, "collar, necklet")

Sindy Joyce uses the word very frequently on social media. Sometimes with the é and sometimes without.
    Is it actually a very common word amongst Irish travellers? And does the use of the accent over the e change the meaning?

Sindy Joyce uses the word very frequently on social media. Sometimes with the é and sometimes without.
    Is it actually a very common word amongst Irish travellers? And does the use of the accent over the e change the meaning?

No, it's a term invented by activists. As seen above, it originated as a Scots term for a generally disreputable person, and isn't even Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Just had our usual notification that the traveller horses are loose on the Headford Road Galway. Several have been hit by cars, over the years but nothing changes.

That's racist

Travellers are a wonderful people and definitely not inbred cnuts

goose2005 wrote: »
    No, it's a term invented by activists. As seen above, it originated as a Scots term for a generally disreputable person, and isn't even Irish.

She uses the term in her PhD, you would think that if it's not a legitimate term she would not be able to use it in the title.

PhD thesis
    Mincéirs Siúladh: an ethnographic study of young Travellers’ experiences of racism in an Irish city

https://ulir.ul.ie/bitstream/handle/10344/7535/Joyce_2018_Minceirs.pdf?sequence=6

Masters thesis
    Divided Spaces: An Examination of everyday racism and its impact on young Travellers spatial mobility

https://www.academia.edu/28572681/Divided_Spaces_An_Examination_of_everyday_racism_and_its_impact_on_young_Travellers_spatial_mobility

Do either of these meet the standard of a masters or PhD thesis?
    I've read a number of bachelor degree thesis in the past and I don't believe they meet that standard

I do not have any experience of the standard required for sociology though.
    Would it be considerably lower that other subjects?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

She uses the term in her PhD, you would think that if it's not a legitimate term she would not be able to use it in the title.

PhD thesis

https://ulir.ul.ie/bitstream/handle/10344/7535/Joyce_2018_Minceirs.pdf?sequence=6

Masters thesis

https://www.academia.edu/28572681/Divided_Spaces_An_Examination_of_everyday_racism_and_its_impact_on_young_Travellers_spatial_mobility

I've read a number of bachelor degree thesis in the past and I don't believe they meet that standard

They seem well written to me, albeit inherently biased.

I really don’t attach any great significance to masters degrees or PhDs in topics like this, it’s obvious that she decided her conclusion before she started her “research”.

They seem well written to me, albeit inherently biased.

I really don’t attach any great significance to masters degrees or PhDs in topics like this, it’s obvious that she decided her conclusion before she started her “research”.

A masters thesis that's 10 pages long?
    These are peer reviewed so it would be not be accepted if they were biased.
    Sociology is not a mock subject for someone to study. It has legitimate uses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,826 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Starting now on Channel 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

PhD thesis

Masters thesis

I scrolled to a random page and theres a table where traveller kids interviewed (a massive sample size of 6 boys , 6 girls .... no non binary / trans / attack helicopters in there I see, tut tut) universally rate shopping centres as racially controlled and traveller events as open and inclusive.... :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Read down through her Twitter posts not one call out of the Traveller Community

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭chosen1

goose2005 wrote: »

It's fairly common in Longford to refer to them as Minks and you'd sometimes here them call themselves Minkers.

I would say like a lot of 'Cant' or Shelta words, that it's a deliberate corruption of Tinker.

Loads of words seems to have changed to be secretive, such as 'tobar' instead of bothar for road or 'laceen' instead of cailín for girl

A masters thesis that's 10 pages long?
    These are peer reviewed so it would be not be accepted if they were biased.
    Sociology is not a mock subject for someone to study. It has legitimate uses.

It is very easy to detect elements of bias in her writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

It is very easy to detect elements of bias in her writing.

Bit like the posts here.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Could I do a thesis on how they've affected my life?

Bit like the posts here.

If you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

No, you'd be clapped in irons for hate speech.

• Advertisement

Perhaps, I assume you could at least fill 10 pages at font size 11 or 12?
    That would put you at masters level.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement